Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 3:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I give my unwanted stuff to Value Village. The money they make is used
>> help the blind. I don't really know in what capacity. That reminds me.
>> was going to take Angela there yesterday and I forgot to go! Not that we
>> feasibly could have. Traffic was so bad it took far longer to do what we
>> did do. But I do have a couple of coupons that need to be used by Dec.
>> 31st.

> Perhaps it's time to look at a financial statement put out by Value
> Village. If they are a NPO, then those records ARE public. Full
> disclosure.
>
> Ya, i buy a few things there (books that i'm looking for often appear
> there).
>
> I give to the local street ministry trying to help the homeless. To
> women's shelters where these women & children would be homeless without
> said shelter, and, of course, the ER dept........... you would not believe
> how many clothes they need to offer folks to be attired to go home (they
> may not match, but a top is a top and pants are pants!) (please add some
> new in the wrap undies and socks!)

No, I'm not going to do that.

I don't know what a ministry is but I wouldn't give to them.

I don't think the ER takes clothing here. I really don't!

There are no women's shelters near here. You can give where you want to and
I will give where I want to. I don't believe there is anything wrong with
this place. If you know something I don't then please tell me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>> :> :>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and
>>> painfully
>>> it
>>> :> seems,
>>> :> :>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff
>>> anyway,
>>> :> lol, Lee
>>> :> :>
>>> :> :> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here.
>>> They
>>> :> kept
>>> :> :> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
>>> :>
>>> :> : For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing
>>> season
>>> :> : by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
>>> :> : garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a
>>> way
>>> :> : past that row, though.
>>> :>
>>> :> : You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
>>> :>
>>> :> : Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without
>>> noticing
>>> :> : them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.
>>> :>
>>> :> You can always put out those shallow dishes of beer for the slugs.
>>> they
>>> :> love it, fall in and drown, but drown happy, at least:-)
>>>
>>> : But then I'd need shallow dishes because I have none. And beer which
>>> have
>>> : none of either.
>>>
>>> Try jar tops, make shallow dises out of aluminum foil, old saucers,
>>> just
>>> us a little imagination.

>> I have no jar tops. The only thing I buy in jars is pasta sauce and we
>> don't use very much of that. Not even one jar a month. I guess we do
>> use
>> some salsa too but even less of that. I do not keep jars and lids
>> sitting
>> around because I have no place to store them. I do have canning jars and
>> lids but those lids won't work. Anyway... I am through with the
>> gardening.
>> Our weather here has been such that it would be just futile. We really
>> got
>> no hot weather at all here this past year and I had the heat on even into
>> June. The year before that we did get a couple of weeks of hot weather
>> but
>> it came very late in the season.
>>
>> My friend lives on a really old farm. She does a big garden every year.
>> She is a SAHM now because she has a big family and is due again to give
>> birth quite soon. She has no choice but to try to garden to feed the
>> family. This last season the only thing that did well for her was the
>> zucchini. And they got far too much of that. But nothing else really
>> grew
>> because of the overly cool weather and too much rain at the wrong time of

No pickle jar. No foil tart dishes. Not going to buy anything at Value
Village to put slug bait in and most of all not going to buy any beer! That
is not something I want in the house.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> when i can smell them you don't see them, i was just trainned... and i can
> also tell if its one of those situations where they are present but
> treated for, or if they are present and nobody cares, Lee

Creepy!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 12:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
>>> seems,
>>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol,
>>> Lee

>> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
>> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
>>

> Marigolds

I'm VERY allergic to Marigolds and can't go near them.

> Pie pans with beer in them on the OUTSIDE perimeter of the garden (they
> drown)

I know that. Won't buy beer.

> Misc trivia........ slugs that are moved 2 blocks from their home will
> find themselves back home..........
>
> who knew!?!?!?

Hmmm....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it can be, but its also very cool to have had a grandfather with so much
knowledge who was willing to share, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> when i can smell them you don't see them, i was just trainned... and i
>> can also tell if its one of those situations where they are present but
>> treated for, or if they are present and nobody cares, Lee

> Creepy!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 12:26 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>>>
>>> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35
>>> at
>>> CostCo here
>>>
>>> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for
>>> camping and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now

>> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
>> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
>> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
>> other bounced out.

> bwha ha ha ha
>
> now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!
>
> kate

I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and
while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take
the desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I
could get it to the tip.

I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it
came loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the
side and when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault
then rolled a couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with
low branches which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he
came over holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over
there? Well, I hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his help.
After a few minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he
helped me up. But not before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet
because people were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part
of my back, left knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from
the tree/grass etc, lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put
this on Facebook

I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 12:29 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon
>>> candy, deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>>>
>>> HEAVEN!!!
>>>
>>> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
>>> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
>>> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing
>>> how many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada,
>>> hand
>>> warmer, etc LOL)

>> laser torches...

> OMG, yes, grin
>
> didn't we have a night on chat playing with those and talking about
> them?
>
> lol

I can't walk past them in the shops without having a little play

> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
>>> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
>>> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
>>> other bounced out.

>> bwha ha ha ha
>>
>> now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!
>>
>> kate

> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took someone
> home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and while one
> son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take the desk out
> the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I could get it to
> the tip.
>
> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it came
> loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the side and
> when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault then rolled a
> couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with low branches
> which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he came over holding
> a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over there? Well, I hurt all
> over and couldn't get up Even with his help. After a few minutes I
> managed to roll over and got on my knees and he helped me up. But not
> before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet because people were
> walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part of my back, left knee,
> right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from the tree/grass etc, lol.
> And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put this on Facebook
>
> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

Yeah. I need a new computer desk. Now you see why I haven't gotten one.
Sorry to hear of your injury!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ouch, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
>>> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
>>> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
>>> other bounced out.

>> bwha ha ha ha
>>
>> now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!
>>
>> kate

> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took someone
> home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and while one
> son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take the desk out
> the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I could get it to
> the tip.
>
> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it came
> loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the side and
> when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault then rolled a
> couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with low branches
> which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he came over holding
> a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over there? Well, I hurt all
> over and couldn't get up Even with his help. After a few minutes I
> managed to roll over and got on my knees and he helped me up. But not
> before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet because people were
> walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part of my back, left knee,
> right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from the tree/grass etc, lol.
> And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put this on Facebook
>
> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

makes me want to put off buying any furniture, oh man i bet that hurt, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> bwha ha ha ha
>>>
>>> now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!
>>>
>>> kate

>> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
>> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
>> someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and
>> while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take the
>> desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I could
>> get it to the tip.
>>
>> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it came
>> loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the side and
>> when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault then rolled a
>> couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with low branches
>> which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he came over
>> holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over there? Well, I
>> hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his help. After a few
>> minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he helped me up.
>> But not before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet because people
>> were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part of my back, left
>> knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from the tree/grass etc,
>> lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put this on Facebook
>>
>> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

> Yeah. I need a new computer desk. Now you see why I haven't gotten one.
> Sorry to hear of your injury!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> makes me want to put off buying any furniture, oh man i bet that hurt, Lee

I have picked out the one that I want. It's made of PVC. Snaps together
with no tools. Only problems are that there is no printer spot on it so I
would have to get a printer stand too. And the fact that I have no money to
buy it! Heh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

money, thats always an issue... after dh came back from withdrawing the part
of the house money we had in savings... he said, honey i am home, did you
make beans and rice... lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> makes me want to put off buying any furniture, oh man i bet that hurt,
>> Lee

> I have picked out the one that I want. It's made of PVC. Snaps together
> with no tools. Only problems are that there is no printer spot on it so I
> would have to get a printer stand too. And the fact that I have no money
> to buy it! Heh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 22/12/2011 8:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
>>> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
>>> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
>>> other bounced out.

>> bwha ha ha ha
>>
>> now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!
>>
>> kate

> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
> someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and
> while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take
> the desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I
> could get it to the tip.
>
> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it
> came loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the
> side and when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault
> then rolled a couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with
> low branches which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he
> came over holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over
> there? Well, I hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his help.
> After a few minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he
> helped me up. But not before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet
> because people were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part
> of my back, left knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from
> the tree/grass etc, lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put
> this on Facebook
>
> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

Bugga and I don't suppose you thought to have a video camera capturing
the moment for future generations to watch and wonder how you managed to
reach your impending old age :-)

Voltaren were made for days like this :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 22/12/2011 8:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> bwha ha ha ha
>>>
>>> now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!
>>>
>>> kate

>> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another
>> desk
>> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
>> someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home
>> and
>> while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take
>> the desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I
>> could get it to the tip.
>>
>> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it
>> came loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the
>> side and when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault
>> then rolled a couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree
>> with
>> low branches which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he
>> came over holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over
>> there? Well, I hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his
>> help.
>> After a few minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he
>> helped me up. But not before he told me to stay where I was and be
>> quiet
>> because people were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and
>> part
>> of my back, left knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt
>> from
>> the tree/grass etc, lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put
>> this on Facebook
>>
>> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

> Bugga and I don't suppose you thought to have a video camera capturing
> the moment for future generations to watch and wonder how you managed
> to reach your impending old age :-)
>
> Voltaren were made for days like this :-)

If my 21 yr old had been awake at the time you can be sure it would have
been videoed!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 10:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches if
>> you see those, Lee

> Ew! I don't want to see those. I do have cat food cans but they are the
> tiny ones. It's the beer I won't buy. That stuff is expensive!

Do you think that the slugs care how expensive a brand it is? Are there
any cheap brands available in your area?

Tiny cat food cans should allow them to reach the beer faster.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
birds, and not mammals.

Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?

On 12/21/2011 6:17 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> and birds eat peppers and never taste the hot, Lee
>>>
>>> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
>>> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

>> For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
>> by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
>> garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
>> past that row, though.
>>
>> You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
>>
>> Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
>> them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A chemical similar to the one from the French lilac, but less toxic.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/about-dia...ions/metformin

http://media.wiley.com/product_data/...0470725419.pdf

On 12/22/2011 1:09 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i read the name a couple of weeks ago and you could put a gun to my head and
> i wouldn't know... but i thought if i could grow that it would be sorta
> symbolic, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 12/21/2011 3:13 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i was actually thinking of getting the plant that makes metformen, sp,
>>> lol,
>>> Lee

>> French?? Lilac?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 12:54 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 2:37 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
>> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
>> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
>> for your gardening attempts?
>>
>> I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
>> gardening too.

> stool? step stool? above ground gardening?
>
> mom and dad did raised beds (1.5 feet) and used a gardening stool that
> rolled to the next location
>
> they had 2 rows of 4 foot wide planters that stretched 150 ft down the
> side of the pie lot...... on the > to the planter rows were fruit
> bushes/tree/yada....... the car porch/deck was the grape arbour, the
> peach tree grew RIGHT beside the house, and pear, apple, cherry trees
> thru the perimeter of the large pie shaped lot
>
> kate (i loved visiting them mid/late Aug LOL)

A stroke caused this problem, and also often causes me problems
with getting up from any chair that doesn't have a suitable right
arm. Therefore, stools are out.

The above ground gardening sounds more practical if I can get
someone to build a suitable raised bed. However, it looks like
I'll have to wait at least a few months for construction fences
to be removed so I can reach a suitable place for such raised
beds.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles > wrote:
: On 12/22/2011 12:54 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
: > On 12/21/2011 2:37 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
: >> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
: >> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
: >> for your gardening attempts?
: >>
: >> I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
: >> gardening too.
: >
[...]

The raised beds I spoke about were like window boxes, long adn narrow, on
stilts(wooden planks) set a sitting height useable with a shair wheelshair
or nolling walker with a seat like I have. They provided great delight
for the person they were made for, who grew both vegetables and
flowers.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ohhhhh ya, can't get out of a business meeting/meal

sigh

kate

On 12/21/2011 11:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> if its just me and dh, we leave, but most people refuse to beleive i can
> smell all that stuff, and when its business related i daren't... so dh and
> i both get hot coffee and nothing else, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 12/21/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> yes my grandfather taught me to smell most inscets, mice rats and snakes,
>>> which have differing snakes depending on type... it is rough when we go
>>> out
>>> with friends and go to a resto and i refuse to eat, Lee

>> you stay there?
>>
>> i walk out!
>> LOL
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 3:38 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
> someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and
> while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take
> the desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I
> could get it to the tip.
>
> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it
> came loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the
> side and when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault
> then rolled a couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with
> low branches which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he
> came over holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over
> there? Well, I hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his help.
> After a few minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he
> helped me up. But not before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet
> because people were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part
> of my back, left knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from
> the tree/grass etc, lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put
> this on Facebook
>
> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

oh man, not good at all, Jan

I hope today finds you feeling better.......... got ice packs?

(ok, i'll admit i'm trying to not laugh at the vision of you
somersaulting over the one end of the desk, to land where you did!)

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 10:07 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
> Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
> have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
> birds, and not mammals.
>
> Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?

ever try to grow raspberries? strawberries? saskatoon berries?

it's a race to get the fruit BEFORE the birds do

heaven's, the crab apples are taken by the magpies!

LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
snip
> A stroke caused this problem, and also often causes me problems
> with getting up from any chair that doesn't have a suitable right
> arm. Therefore, stools are out.
>
> The above ground gardening sounds more practical if I can get
> someone to build a suitable raised bed. However, it looks like
> I'll have to wait at least a few months for construction fences
> to be removed so I can reach a suitable place for such raised
> beds.
>
> Robert Miles

Mom and Dad found they made one mistake on their raised gardens

they put all of them at the same height, not figuring in the height of
the harvest

this meant the peas were a bit too high, the tomatoes were just right
and the carrots and onions a bit too low

hubby has been putting in different levels of raised beds (most is still
done at ground level, this is a long term project)

Mom is an OT, i'll ask her if she knows of any 'tricks' for assistance
in getting up/down

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 1:07 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
> snip
>> A stroke caused this problem, and also often causes me problems
>> with getting up from any chair that doesn't have a suitable right
>> arm. Therefore, stools are out.
>>
>> The above ground gardening sounds more practical if I can get
>> someone to build a suitable raised bed. However, it looks like
>> I'll have to wait at least a few months for construction fences
>> to be removed so I can reach a suitable place for such raised
>> beds.
>>
>> Robert Miles

> Mom and Dad found they made one mistake on their raised gardens
>
> they put all of them at the same height, not figuring in the height of
> the harvest
>
> this meant the peas were a bit too high, the tomatoes were just right
> and the carrots and onions a bit too low
>
> hubby has been putting in different levels of raised beds (most is still
> done at ground level, this is a long term project)
>
> Mom is an OT, i'll ask her if she knows of any 'tricks' for assistance
> in getting up/down
>
> kate

You might make sure that she knows that they need to be usable with
only one hand that will do much. I can currently get down, if how
hard doesn't matter. Getting back up now often takes help from two
people, not just one.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have no idea if there is a problem or not, but i was recently reading an
article about how pine trees only propogate when the cones are in a fire, as
an aside the article discussed how birds eating pepper seeds helped the
seeds to germinate, Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
> have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
> birds, and not mammals.
>
> Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?
>

> On 12/21/2011 6:17 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> and birds eat peppers and never taste the hot, Lee

>>> For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
>>> by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
>>> garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
>>> past that row, though.
>>>
>>> You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
>>>
>>> Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
>>> them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: i have no idea if there is a problem or not, but i was recently reading an
: article about how pine trees only propogate when the cones are in a fire, as
: an aside the article discussed how birds eating pepper seeds helped the
: seeds to germinate, Lee

It is not all pnes, just a few that grow in the western US like near the
Grand Canyon. Can't think of the particular name right now.

Wendy

: "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
: > have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
: > birds, and not mammals.
: >
: > Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?
: >
: >
: > On 12/21/2011 6:17 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
: >> and birds eat peppers and never taste the hot, Lee
: >> "Robert > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>> > wrote in message
: >>>> ...
: >>>>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
: >>>>> seems,
: >>>>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway,
: >>>>> lol,
: >>>>> Lee
: >>>>
: >>>> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They
: >>>> kept
: >>>> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
: >>>
: >>> For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
: >>> by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
: >>> garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
: >>> past that row, though.
: >>>
: >>> You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
: >>>
: >>> Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
: >>> them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.
: >

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 10:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches if
>>> you see those, Lee

>> Ew! I don't want to see those. I do have cat food cans but they are the
>> tiny ones. It's the beer I won't buy. That stuff is expensive!

> Do you think that the slugs care how expensive a brand it is? Are there
> any cheap brands available in your area?
>
> Tiny cat food cans should allow them to reach the beer faster.

I've never seen cheap beer. But why are ya'll going on about this? I have
no garden and am most likely not going to again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
> have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
> birds, and not mammals.
>
> Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?

Yes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/22/2011 10:07 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
>> Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
>> have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
>> birds, and not mammals.
>>
>> Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?

> ever try to grow raspberries? strawberries? saskatoon berries?
>
> it's a race to get the fruit BEFORE the birds do
>
> heaven's, the crab apples are taken by the magpies!

Here it's my cherries.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/22/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
> snip
>> A stroke caused this problem, and also often causes me problems
>> with getting up from any chair that doesn't have a suitable right
>> arm. Therefore, stools are out.
>>
>> The above ground gardening sounds more practical if I can get
>> someone to build a suitable raised bed. However, it looks like
>> I'll have to wait at least a few months for construction fences
>> to be removed so I can reach a suitable place for such raised
>> beds.
>>
>> Robert Miles

> Mom and Dad found they made one mistake on their raised gardens
>
> they put all of them at the same height, not figuring in the height of the
> harvest
>
> this meant the peas were a bit too high, the tomatoes were just right and
> the carrots and onions a bit too low
>
> hubby has been putting in different levels of raised beds (most is still
> done at ground level, this is a long term project)
>
> Mom is an OT, i'll ask her if she knows of any 'tricks' for assistance in
> getting up/down

I was reading a magazine the other day and the gardeners somehow affixed
guttering to the siding of their house at various levels. They were growing
herbs and lettuce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 12/21/2011 10:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches if
: >>> you see those, Lee
: >>
: >> Ew! I don't want to see those. I do have cat food cans but they are the
: >> tiny ones. It's the beer I won't buy. That stuff is expensive!
: >
: > Do you think that the slugs care how expensive a brand it is? Are there
: > any cheap brands available in your area?
: >
: > Tiny cat food cans should allow them to reach the beer faster.

: I've never seen cheap beer. But why are ya'll going on about this? I have
: no garden and am most likely not going to again.
Tere may well be others on the group who are interested.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/22/2011 3:38 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another
>> desk
>> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
>> someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home
>> and
>> while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take
>> the desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I
>> could get it to the tip.
>>
>> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it
>> came loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the
>> side and when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault
>> then rolled a couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree
>> with
>> low branches which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he
>> came over holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over
>> there? Well, I hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his
>> help.
>> After a few minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he
>> helped me up. But not before he told me to stay where I was and be
>> quiet
>> because people were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and
>> part
>> of my back, left knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt
>> from
>> the tree/grass etc, lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put
>> this on Facebook
>>
>> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

> oh man, not good at all, Jan
>
> I hope today finds you feeling better.......... got ice packs?

Not enough for a whole body this morning I woke to muscle pain from
my neck to my bum on the left side, an entirely sore left arm and knee
and sore right foot.

> (ok, i'll admit i'm trying to not laugh at the vision of you
> somersaulting over the one end of the desk, to land where you did!)

The boys are still talking about it! The story has become magnified, I
am now up to having done a triple somersault after flying high into the
air...
And you may as well laugh, my entire family laugh at my accidents, even
Jasmine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On 12/21/2011 10:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : >> > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches
> if
> : >>> you see those, Lee
> : >>
> : >> Ew! I don't want to see those. I do have cat food cans but they are
> the
> : >> tiny ones. It's the beer I won't buy. That stuff is expensive!
> : >
> : > Do you think that the slugs care how expensive a brand it is? Are
> there
> : > any cheap brands available in your area?
> : >
> : > Tiny cat food cans should allow them to reach the beer faster.
>
> : I've never seen cheap beer. But why are ya'll going on about this? I
> have
> : no garden and am most likely not going to again.
> Tere may well be others on the group who are interested.

Apparently so.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

might have been i was reading about fires in the western us, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i have no idea if there is a problem or not, but i was recently reading
> an
> : article about how pine trees only propogate when the cones are in a
> fire, as
> : an aside the article discussed how birds eating pepper seeds helped the
> : seeds to germinate, Lee
>
> It is not all pnes, just a few that grow in the western US like near the
> Grand Canyon. Can't think of the particular name right now.
>
> Wendy
>
> : "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Correct. They're even healthy for the birds. It's as if the peppers
> : > have evolved a way to almost insure that their seeds are spread by
> : > birds, and not mammals.
> : >
> : > Do gardens in your area have problems with birds eating the food?
> : >
> : >
> : > On 12/21/2011 6:17 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> : >> and birds eat peppers and never taste the hot, Lee
> : >> "Robert > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : >>>> > wrote in message
> : >>>> ...
> : >>>>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully
> it
> : >>>>> seems,
> : >>>>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway,
> : >>>>> lol,
> : >>>>> Lee
> : >>>>
> : >>>> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here.
> They
> : >>>> kept
> : >>>> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
> : >>>
> : >>> For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing
> season
> : >>> by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
> : >>> garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a
> way
> : >>> past that row, though.
> : >>>
> : >>> You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
> : >>>
> : >>> Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without
> noticing
> : >>> them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.
> : >

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 6:04 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 12/22/2011 3:38 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I have a good story tonight. I transferred my computer to another desk
>>> today and didn't have time to get rid of the old one before I took
>>> someone home and went grocery shopping. It was dark when I got home and
>>> while one son was bringing in the bags from the car I decided to take
>>> the desk out the front, break it up and put it in the carport until I
>>> could get it to the tip.
>>>
>>> I laid the top on the grass and bent one end back and forth until it
>>> came loose, then did the other. I was bending over and pushing on the
>>> side and when it gave I pitched forward. I did a complete somersault
>>> then rolled a couple of times and ended up on my back under a tree with
>>> low branches which were in my face. I yelped and called my son and he
>>> came over holding a few bags and was like WTF?? How did you get over
>>> there? Well, I hurt all over and couldn't get up Even with his help.
>>> After a few minutes I managed to roll over and got on my knees and he
>>> helped me up. But not before he told me to stay where I was and be quiet
>>> because people were walking past... My whole left arm is sore and part
>>> of my back, left knee, right ankle and my neck is itchy, no doubt from
>>> the tree/grass etc, lol. And the kid is going OMG I can't wait to put
>>> this on Facebook
>>>
>>> I have taken painkillers but they haven't kicked in yet.

>> oh man, not good at all, Jan
>>
>> I hope today finds you feeling better.......... got ice packs?

> Not enough for a whole body this morning I woke to muscle pain from
> my neck to my bum on the left side, an entirely sore left arm and knee
> and sore right foot.
>
>> (ok, i'll admit i'm trying to not laugh at the vision of you
>> somersaulting over the one end of the desk, to land where you did!)

> The boys are still talking about it! The story has become magnified, I
> am now up to having done a triple somersault after flying high into the
> air...
> And you may as well laugh, my entire family laugh at my accidents, even
> Jasmine.

ohhhhhhhh not good

gotta sort out an uber big ice pack

and hey, you have laughed at me for far more! remember when hubby was
over and had a kidney stone attack??? OMG!!!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/22/2011 6:04 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> oh man, not good at all, Jan
>>>
>>> I hope today finds you feeling better.......... got ice packs?

>> Not enough for a whole body this morning I woke to muscle pain
>> from
>> my neck to my bum on the left side, an entirely sore left arm and
>> knee
>> and sore right foot.
>>
>>> (ok, i'll admit i'm trying to not laugh at the vision of you
>>> somersaulting over the one end of the desk, to land where you did!)

>> The boys are still talking about it! The story has become magnified,
>> am now up to having done a triple somersault after flying high into
>> the
>> air...
>> And you may as well laugh, my entire family laugh at my accidents,
>> even
>> Jasmine.

> ohhhhhhhh not good
>
> gotta sort out an uber big ice pack
>
> and hey, you have laughed at me for far more! remember when hubby was
> over and had a kidney stone attack??? OMG!!!

Well, I am sorry but that was one of the funniest things I have ever
heard, hard to top that one! Not hubby's kidney stone attack of course
but your part in it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/23/2011 3:01 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> Not enough for a whole body this morning I woke to muscle pain from
>>> my neck to my bum on the left side, an entirely sore left arm and knee
>>> and sore right foot.

>>> The boys are still talking about it! The story has become magnified, I
>>> am now up to having done a triple somersault after flying high into the
>>> air...
>>> And you may as well laugh, my entire family laugh at my accidents, even
>>> Jasmine.

>> ohhhhhhhh not good
>>
>> gotta sort out an uber big ice pack
>>
>> and hey, you have laughed at me for far more! remember when hubby was
>> over and had a kidney stone attack??? OMG!!!

> Well, I am sorry but that was one of the funniest things I have ever
> heard, hard to top that one! Not hubby's kidney stone attack of course
> but your part in it

Well, I was doing fine until the police came right into the house!!!
Still trying to figure out WHY they did!
lol

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/23/2011 3:01 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> ohhhhhhhh not good
>>>
>>> gotta sort out an uber big ice pack
>>>
>>> and hey, you have laughed at me for far more! remember when hubby
>>> was
>>> over and had a kidney stone attack??? OMG!!!

>> Well, I am sorry but that was one of the funniest things I have ever
>> heard, hard to top that one! Not hubby's kidney stone attack of
>> course
>> but your part in it

> Well, I was doing fine until the police came right into the house!!!
> Still trying to figure out WHY they did!
> lol

lol, I'm glad they did, considering the entertainment value of the
incident

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/23/2011 4:58 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> Well, I am sorry but that was one of the funniest things I have ever
>>> heard, hard to top that one! Not hubby's kidney stone attack of course
>>> but your part in it

>> Well, I was doing fine until the police came right into the house!!!
>> Still trying to figure out WHY they did!
>> lol

> lol, I'm glad they did, considering the entertainment value of the
> incident

well, despite HOW embarrassed i was, the more i think about it, the more
i think the female cop was MORE embarrassed FOR ME

lol
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i guess i wasn't here then a reprise of this story would be appreciated,
Lee, who needs a laugh
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> Well, I am sorry but that was one of the funniest things I have ever
>>> heard, hard to top that one! Not hubby's kidney stone attack of course
>>> but your part in it

>> Well, I was doing fine until the police came right into the house!!!
>> Still trying to figure out WHY they did!
>> lol

> lol, I'm glad they did, considering the entertainment value of the
> incident

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 21-12-2014 12:46 AM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 07:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 12:08 AM