Old 19-12-2011, 06:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

We are having our Christmas Eve dinner out at a restaurant that caters to
senior citizens. Of course they have food for everyone else but they have a
large senior's menu and they give an additonal discount when you check out
if you had a senior dining with you. It is also a good place to dine if you
have food allergies because they offer some plain foods and plenty of side
dishes like canned fruit and cottage cheese. I know, I know... Why would
you dine out only to order canned fruit? Well because it's generally safe
if you have a food allergy. They have a very wide menu and we can all get
something we like there.

Afterwards we will go back to my parent's house for the surprise ball,
presents and dessert. No clue what they will have for dessert and not
interested since I don't eat it. I will pick up something for Angela and
probably get some sort of expensive candy at Central Market. My mom likes
their chocolate covered cherries.

For Christmas Day I will be making my husband the garlic, shrimp pasta that
he likes. Only problem is Angela accidentally picked up linguini instead of
the angel hair pasta. That was not her fault. There was an elderly Asian
man causing a scene in the aisle. It was quite comical but also very sad.
He had put 8 noodle bowls in the cart. The woman he was with freaked and
told him he couldn't have them. He then started hopping up and down,
screaming and crying that they had no food in the house. I turned around to
see the age of the boy who was doing this, only to see a little bitty
elderly man. The woman had two small things in the cart. One appeared to
be a metal Christmas decoration. I don't know what the other item was.
Then as soon as she turned her back to him, he grabbed a whole case of the
noodle bowls, and overturned them over her shoulder, pelting her with the
box and depositing the bowls in the cart. She started screaming at him
again. We were concerned because he kept saying there was nothing to eat.
No food in the house. We circled around, passing by the aisle again and the
woman appeared to be reading the ingredients. So maybe he got his noodle
bowls after all.

I will be making a tuna casserole for Angela and I. I know that doesn't
sound very festive but I don't make it often and it is one of Angela's
favorite foods. When I told her I would be making it, she was very happy!
I make it with macaroni made of quinoa. Lots of mushrooms and tuna and a
little macaroni.

I don't plan to have any real desserts at our house. It's possible my mom
will send some leftovers home to us, but we usually don't take them. I did
buy a can of some sort of cookies. Possibly Danish Butter. I don't know
and don't really care. I never know how serious my husband will be about
his diet when he comes home. Last time he told us not to buy him any sweets
or chips and that was all that he wanted when he got here. We do have chips
and aerosol cheese. I know, I know. I also have plenty of hummus.

Must go tomorrow and get some more fresh veggies. I thought I had plenty
but the carrots expired today. Will get whatever else we might need on
Friday when we go to Winco.

Have you made any plans yet?

Old 19-12-2011, 07:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
no I am pulling my hair out trying to get through the next twelve hours,
christmas seems a hundred light years away, Lee

Uh oh.

Old 19-12-2011, 07:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

if i get through this day i will be able to tolerate most anything, I have a
self image of being a strong survivor, right night now, still breathing will
do, Lee

Old 19-12-2011, 08:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

No plans. We are postponing Christmas for a few months so we can have
something decent rather than half-arsed. I believe some young friends
and their toddler are coming over Christmas Eve for a BBQ but they are
just bringing a bit of meat and whatevers for themselves and my boys can
get what they want. My ex did say his girlfriend will bring a ham and
some cooked chickens over Christmas Day so probably throw a salad
together if they stay, which they probably will. We had dessert lined up
last year and no one ate any as we were too full and the ex and his GF
moved on to her daughter's house after eating here. I might just get
some fruit and we can cut it up if necessary.

Old 19-12-2011, 08:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:
No plans. We are postponing Christmas for a few months so we can have
something decent rather than half-arsed. [ . . . ]
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[ . . . . ]

No idea! While my 'family' are all Thai, our daughter will probably do
something traditional for the kids.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 19-12-2011, 06:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
if i get through this day i will be able to tolerate most anything, I have
a self image of being a strong survivor, right night now, still breathing
will do, Lee

Okay.

Old 19-12-2011, 06:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
No plans. We are postponing Christmas for a few months so we can have
something decent rather than half-arsed. I believe some young friends and
their toddler are coming over Christmas Eve for a BBQ but they are just
bringing a bit of meat and whatevers for themselves and my boys can get
what they want. My ex did say his girlfriend will bring a ham and some
cooked chickens over Christmas Day so probably throw a salad together if
they stay, which they probably will. We had dessert lined up last year and
no one ate any as we were too full and the ex and his GF moved on to her
daughter's house after eating here. I might just get some fruit and we can
cut it up if necessary.

My mom seems to have an idea that holidays are causing my dad to have brain
bleeds. So we have to minimize what we do. I think it is more a matter of
her not wanting to do much. But I could be wrong.

Old 19-12-2011, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We will be going to my Daughters house. She will be Brining and roasting a
turkey,(Her Dad, my hubby, always wants Turkey on Christmas) I will be
bringing a Nueski's Old Fashion Ham(we like them because they don't seem as
salty) My Son and his wife will be there along with my Grandkids, My
Daughters husbands family may come by for dessert. She will have the
typical side dishes. She does a lot of baking, so there will be breads and
pies. We will open presents after dinner. We used to go to my Sisters for
Christmas Eve, but got tired dodging drunks on the way home, so we just have
a nice quiet Christmas Eve at home. We just enjoy being with family,
especially the Grandkids. My husband will go above and beyond on my gifts as
he usually does. This year I will surprise him, I bought him a nice flat
screen TV for his bedroom wall...something he is not expecting

Old 19-12-2011, 07:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I did
buy a can of some sort of cookies. Possibly Danish Butter. I don't know
and don't really care.

yep, that sums up julie...but at least she'll have something to complain about
Old 19-12-2011, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

There comes a day when we older ones no longer want to "DO" holidays....A
few years ago I passed the holiday wand to my Daughter and Daughter In-law,
so I no longer had to do all of the holiday stuff. Now all I do is buy gifts
and enjoy the holidays and watch them run around all harried...LOL. No I do
help out but no longer have all of it on my shoulders. I do serve New Years
Day Dinner. We usually have Pork Roast and Sauerkraut on that day.

Old 19-12-2011, 09:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

My mom seems to have an idea that holidays are causing my dad to have
brain bleeds. So we have to minimize what we do. I think it is more a
matter of her not wanting to do much. But I could be wrong.

I'm willing to bet she's earned the right..."not to do much."

Cheri

Old 19-12-2011, 09:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

There comes a day when we older ones no longer want to "DO" holidays....A
few years ago I passed the holiday wand to my Daughter and Daughter
In-law, so I no longer had to do all of the holiday stuff. Now all I do is
buy gifts and enjoy the holidays and watch them run around all
harried...LOL. No I do help out but no longer have all of it on my
shoulders. I do serve New Years Day Dinner. We usually have Pork Roast and
Sauerkraut on that day.

Heard that Jaquie!!! The thrill of it all left me a year or so ago, and
now...going to the kids (actually not really kids anymore all in their 40's)
but my oh my, it's been fun moving it on. The most peaceful holidays I've
had in 47 years. LOL

Cheri

Old 20-12-2011, 01:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

Either way, its the family get together that's more important than the
type of food or how much time is spent on making it special. Xmas can be
traumatic for a variety of reasons. We are absolutely stone broke this
Xmas but I am not depressed about it, as I know that we will get to do
Xmas, just not on Xmas Day . All family members have stated they are
not fussed about presents or a big Xmas spread etc. My one exception is
to fill a Santa bag and stocking for Jasmine.

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 20-12-2014 11:46 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 08:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 08:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 06:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 15-12-2006 11:08 PM