Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas menu?

I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want to
get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.

I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a loaf
of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me and I have a
few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and cheesecake. I do have the
cream cheese for that.

Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
it again. So... Grrr...

We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do with
what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast because
those weren't liked the last several times that I made them. I tried
various casseroles.

Have you decided what you will make or serve?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Have you decided what you will make or serve?

Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week. Probably both
mashed and sweet potatoes with it and a veggie to be decided. It is a
big ham so some will be frozen for the future.

Ham means cabbage soup the following week.

Tonight is the company Christmas party with prime rib dinner. The
Saturday after Christmas we will go to a friends house for their
family dinner and have prime rib again. New Years will be a pork
roast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want to
>get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>
>I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a loaf
>of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me and I have a
>few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and cheesecake. I do have the
>cream cheese for that.
>
>Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>
>I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
>Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
>thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
>have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
>again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
>it again. So... Grrr...
>
>We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do with
>what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast because
>those weren't liked the last several times that I made them. I tried
>various casseroles.
>
>Have you decided what you will make or serve?

This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.

The menu is:

Turkey, dressing, and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Green beans with almonds
Baked butternut squash
Carrots
Red cabbage & beet slaw

I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
Cake.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The friends I invited for Thanksgiving dinner have invited me for
Christmas. She is making tacos and margaritas. I'll probably bring
something as well.

It's not the food, it's the company
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want
> to get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>
> I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a
> loaf of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me
> and I have a few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and
> cheesecake. I do have the cream cheese for that.
>
> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but
> I also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp
> pasta because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a
> super garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>
> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas
> day. Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of
> any one thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day!
> Thought I would have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few
> weeks and made it again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies.
> And then he didn't want it again. So... Grrr...
>
> We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do
> with what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast
> because those weren't liked the last several times that I made them.
> I tried various casseroles.
>
> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

I used to make special meals, usually a stuffed fowl of some kind, but no
more. Too much trouble for one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.

I got a Christmas gift pack from Nodines a couple of years ago. Great
food there!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

it's going to be a bbq ribs Christmas this year at chez tert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>Have you decided what you will make or serve?

>Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
> It is a big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
>Ham means cabbage soup the following week.

Cured or fresh?

Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.

I'm planning on a roast butt half fresh ham for New Year with a potato
kugel, chunky apple sauce, and some sort of green veggie (maybe
creamed spinach).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2014 12:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

>> Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
>> It is a big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
>> Ham means cabbage soup the following week.

> Cured or fresh?
>
> Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
> ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
> bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
> restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.

Cured. My wife put the bone in the pot for starters, then adds some cut
up ham, potatoes, carrots, celery,a can or two of tomato soup, and
finally the cabbage. Her mother made it that way and so it continues.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:07:02 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/13/2014 12:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
>>> It is a big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
>>> Ham means cabbage soup the following week.

>> Cured or fresh?
>>
>> Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
>> ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
>> bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
>> restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.

>Cured. My wife put the bone in the pot for starters, then adds some cut
>up ham, potatoes, carrots, celery,a can or two of tomato soup, and
>finally the cabbage. Her mother made it that way and so it continues.

I make a cabbage soup the same but with beef (chuck), and sweet n'sour
with some raisins and a little fresh lemon. Actually I make it in my
16 qt pot but it's about half filled with stuffed cabbage, the
remainder is cabbage soup, two dishes in one pot. I don't use canned
tomato soup, I prefer canned whole tomatoes. I don't like onions or
garlic in my cabbage soup, and no celery either. I make it the same
way my mother and her mother before her made it. My father could
easily eat a gallon of cabbage soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2014 1:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:07:02 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Cured or fresh?
>>>
>>> Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
>>> ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
>>> bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
>>> restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.

>> Cured. My wife put the bone in the pot for starters, then adds some cut
>> up ham, potatoes, carrots, celery,a can or two of tomato soup, and
>> finally the cabbage. Her mother made it that way and so it continues.

> I make a cabbage soup the same but with beef (chuck), and sweet n'sour
> with some raisins and a little fresh lemon. Actually I make it in my
> 16 qt pot but it's about half filled with stuffed cabbage, the
> remainder is cabbage soup, two dishes in one pot. I don't use canned
> tomato soup, I prefer canned whole tomatoes. I don't like onions or
> garlic in my cabbage soup, and no celery either. I make it the same
> way my mother and her mother before her made it. My father could
> easily eat a gallon of cabbage soup.

My mother made a "fruit soup" with cabbage, raisins and dried and fresh
fruit for a Jewish holiday that occurred in the Autumn. It was also
sweet and sour. The fresh fruits were seasonal so they were mostly
apples and pears, IIRC. She used red cabbage for this soup and threw in
some flanken for extra body. That soup was awesome! Better than a
laxative!

My mother used tomato juice for stuffed cabbage. One day I was making
it and found that I had no tomato juice but had low-sodium V8. Wow! It
was superb in the stuffed cabbage and now it's in my recipe all the time.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2014 3:44 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> My mother used tomato juice for stuffed cabbage. One day I was making
> it and found that I had no tomato juice but had low-sodium V8. Wow! It
> was superb in the stuffed cabbage and now it's in my recipe all the time.

I haven't thought about stuffed cabbage for a long time! I think my
mother used tomato juice, too. I'll have to try it with V-8. Thanks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:35:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

>Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
allowed.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 16:09:12 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:35:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

>>Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

>Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
>also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
>although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
>allowed.
>
>Doris

Christmas Eve is the time for the Italian American celebration, The
Feast of the Seven Fishes.

koko

James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:35:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

>>Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

> Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
> also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
> although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
> allowed.
>
> Doris

Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't disallow
it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion. Many older
Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If I were cooking, which I am not because it is too difficult with a cane in one hand to do a big
meal, and my son will be hunting anyway, it would be a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding,
with meat juice reduced to a sauce or gravy (maybe with a little red wine added), mashed potatoes
and broccoli with cheese sauce...plus the usual dinner rolls and small green dinner salad.
That's my idea of a proper Christmas dinner. Dessert would be plum pudding,several servings
of which I have stashed in the freezer. It is my grandmother's recipe without alcohol, not the
standard recipe, and it is served hot (steamed to reheat) with Hard Sauce.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2014 10:17 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
>> Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
>> thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
>> have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
>> again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
>> it again. So... Grrr...

(piggybacking)

So don't buy a "really big beef roast". If you've been reading the
thread about leftover roast there are lots of things you can do with
what (if any) is left.

>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

Not really. I have a boneless shoulder roast (just shy of 3 lbs.) in
the freezer which would be nice with baked sweet potatoes. Then again,
I might go with grilled lamb chops with garlicky couscous. Either way,
the vegetable sides will depend on what looks good at the farm stand.

> This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
> dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.
>
> The menu is:
>
> Turkey, dressing, and gravy
> Cranberry sauce
> Ham
> Mashed potatoes
> Green beans with almonds
> Baked butternut squash
> Carrots
> Red cabbage & beet slaw
>
> I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
> week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
> it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
> time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
> Cake.
>
> Doris

Doris, it sounds like you've got everything well planned.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2014 11:45 AM, KenK wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want
>> to get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>>
>> I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a
>> loaf of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me
>> and I have a few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and
>> cheesecake. I do have the cream cheese for that.
>>
>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but
>> I also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp
>> pasta because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a
>> super garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>>
>> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas
>> day. Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of
>> any one thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day!
>> Thought I would have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few
>> weeks and made it again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies.
>> And then he didn't want it again. So... Grrr...
>>
>> We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do
>> with what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast
>> because those weren't liked the last several times that I made them.
>> I tried various casseroles.
>>
>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?
>>

> I used to make special meals, usually a stuffed fowl of some kind, but no
> more. Too much trouble for one.

Now that I think about it, I might buy a half a roasted duck. Publix
sells it in the freezer section; Maple Leaf farms? It's been a while
since I bought one. For pre-roasted duck it's very tasty. Just right
for someone who doesn't want a bunch of holiday leftovers. Of course
you wouldn't get to stuff it but you could make dressing on the side.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:41:54 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/13/2014 10:17 AM, Doris Night wrote:

>> This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
>> dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.
>>
>> The menu is:
>>
>> Turkey, dressing, and gravy
>> Cranberry sauce
>> Ham
>> Mashed potatoes
>> Green beans with almonds
>> Baked butternut squash
>> Carrots
>> Red cabbage & beet slaw
>>
>> I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
>> week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
>> it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
>> time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
>> Cake.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Doris, it sounds like you've got everything well planned.

I'm a bit anal-retentive, and I suffer from a touch of OCD. You
should see my personal finance spreadsheets.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 14:44:26 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 12/13/2014 1:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Cured. My wife put the bone in the pot for starters, then adds some cut
>>> up ham, potatoes, carrots, celery,a can or two of tomato soup, and
>>> finally the cabbage. Her mother made it that way and so it continues.

>> I make a cabbage soup the same but with beef (chuck), and sweet n'sour
>> with some raisins and a little fresh lemon. Actually I make it in my
>> 16 qt pot but it's about half filled with stuffed cabbage, the
>> remainder is cabbage soup, two dishes in one pot. I don't use canned
>> tomato soup, I prefer canned whole tomatoes. I don't like onions or
>> garlic in my cabbage soup, and no celery either. I make it the same
>> way my mother and her mother before her made it. My father could
>> easily eat a gallon of cabbage soup.
>>

>My mother made a "fruit soup" with cabbage, raisins and dried and fresh
>fruit for a Jewish holiday that occurred in the Autumn. It was also
>sweet and sour. The fresh fruits were seasonal so they were mostly
>apples and pears, IIRC. She used red cabbage for this soup and threw in
>some flanken for extra body. That soup was awesome! Better than a
>laxative!

My mother used flanken too but I can't find it here... back then every
ethnic food imaginable was easily available in Brooklyn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want
> to get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>
> I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a
> loaf of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me
> and I have a few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and
> cheesecake. I do have the cream cheese for that.
>
> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but
> I also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp
> pasta because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a
> super garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>
> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas
> day. Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of
> any one thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day!
> Thought I would have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few
> weeks and made it again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies.
> And then he didn't want it again. So... Grrr...
>
> We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do
> with what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast
> because those weren't liked the last several times that I made them.
> I tried various casseroles.
>
> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

Sounds like your husband is a huge asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2014 4:54 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't
> disallow it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion.
> Many older Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)
>
> Cheri

I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a 10
cent hotdog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:13:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> New Years will be a pork roast.

You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>Have you decided what you will make or serve?

> Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week. Probably both
> mashed and sweet potatoes with it and a veggie to be decided. It is a
> big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
>
> Ham means cabbage soup the following week.
>
> Tonight is the company Christmas party with prime rib dinner. The
> Saturday after Christmas we will go to a friends house for their
> family dinner and have prime rib again. New Years will be a pork
> roast.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want to
>>get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>>
>>I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a
>>loaf
>>of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me and I have
>>few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and cheesecake. I do have the
>>cream cheese for that.
>>
>>Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>>also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>>because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>>garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>>
>>I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
>>Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
>>thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
>>have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
>>again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
>>it again. So... Grrr...
>>
>>We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do with
>>what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast because
>>those weren't liked the last several times that I made them. I tried
>>various casseroles.
>>
>>Have you decided what you will make or serve?

> This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
> dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.
>
> The menu is:
>
> Turkey, dressing, and gravy
> Cranberry sauce
> Ham
> Mashed potatoes
> Green beans with almonds
> Baked butternut squash
> Carrots
> Red cabbage & beet slaw
>
> I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
> week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
> it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
> time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
> Cake.
>
> Doris

Wow! That's a lot of food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2014 10:17 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
>>> Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
>>> thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
>>> have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
>>> again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't
>>> want
>>> it again. So... Grrr...
>>>

> (piggybacking)
>
> So don't buy a "really big beef roast". If you've been reading the thread
> about leftover roast there are lots of things you can do with what (if
> any) is left.

Any time that I have not bought a big one is the time that he eats it all
and leaves none for us. So that is never an option. And I know many ways
to use leftover beef, most of which nobody in this house likes. What some
of us do seem to like though is grabbing some cold beef straight from the
fridge which is generally how the small ones go bye bye in a hurry.

>>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

> Not really. I have a boneless shoulder roast (just shy of 3 lbs.) in the
> freezer which would be nice with baked sweet potatoes. Then again, I
> might go with grilled lamb chops with garlicky couscous. Either way, the
> vegetable sides will depend on what looks good at the farm stand.

Yes. I guess I will have to wait and see what the CSA offers that week.

>> This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
>> dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.
>>
>> The menu is:
>>
>> Turkey, dressing, and gravy
>> Cranberry sauce
>> Ham
>> Mashed potatoes
>> Green beans with almonds
>> Baked butternut squash
>> Carrots
>> Red cabbage & beet slaw
>>
>> I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
>> week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
>> it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
>> time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
>> Cake.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> Doris, it sounds like you've got everything well planned.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want
>> to get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>>
>> I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a
>> loaf of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me
>> and I have a few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and
>> cheesecake. I do have the cream cheese for that.
>>
>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but
>> I also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp
>> pasta because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a
>> super garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>>
>> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas
>> day. Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of
>> any one thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day!
>> Thought I would have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few
>> weeks and made it again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies.
>> And then he didn't want it again. So... Grrr...
>>
>> We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do
>> with what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast
>> because those weren't liked the last several times that I made them.
>> I tried various casseroles.
>>
>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?
>>

> I used to make special meals, usually a stuffed fowl of some kind, but no
> more. Too much trouble for one.

Oh good grief! I read that at first as "stuffed owl". And I am wearing my
glasses and everything!

Last year I opted to buy some fancy things that we don't normally have like
desserts and of course they didn't get eaten. I suppose if I am going to
wind up tossing something out, I'd rather it be something that I didn't
bother to make! Hehe. I'll go to Costco in the next few days to see what
they have. Haven't been in there for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> If I were cooking, which I am not because it is too difficult with a cane
> in one hand to do a big
> meal, and my son will be hunting anyway, it would be a standing rib roast
> with Yorkshire pudding,
> with meat juice reduced to a sauce or gravy (maybe with a little red wine
> added), mashed potatoes
> and broccoli with cheese sauce...plus the usual dinner rolls and small
> green dinner salad.
> That's my idea of a proper Christmas dinner. Dessert would be plum
> pudding,several servings
> of which I have stashed in the freezer. It is my grandmother's recipe
> without alcohol, not the
> standard recipe, and it is served hot (steamed to reheat) with Hard Sauce.
>
> N.

I made Yorkshire pudding once as a child. Only once because nobody was
impressed by it. I think I was expecting something really special. I don't
remember it being bad. Just not something really good either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

> Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

Catholic but... I do realize that not all Catholics do this. They
certainly do not here. It really goes beyond no meat. Originally they were
supposed to serve seven fishes. But I was watching a show with Nick
Stellino a few years ago and he said that many Italian/American Catholics
keep trying to outdo themselves from one year to the next by adding more and
more fish dishes to their table.

I don't think my husband's family actually made sure to have seven different
dishes. They mostly did sort of a potluck with most people bringing a fish
dish. My MIL always did stuffed peppers. They did have anchovies in them,
also a lot of garlic and walnuts. I did not care for them and neither did
my one SIL but apparently the men love them. She also did the shrimp pasta
and something that she called "fried dough". I never did figure out what
that was. I asked her and she just looked at me like I was an idiot and
repeated to me that it was dough that had been fried. Somebody else chimed
in and said that it was served all the time at Bingo. Well it isn't here so
I still haven't a clue.

When I sat down to my first Christmas dinner with the family, one of my
husband's cousins brightly appeared before me with a bowl of pierogies and
announced, "This is what we eat when we don't like fish!" I don't know how
he knew that I didn't like fish but I was sure happy to see him!

This link explains about the seven fishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Seven_Fishes

And although my husband does call himself a Catholic, he seems to know
precious little about the religion itself. He only seemed to know that the
eating of meat on Dec. 24th, at least at dinner time was forbidden.

I guess I should contact my brother. I don't know if we will be doing a get
together meal on the 24th or not. If we are that would put a whole
different spin on things because my mom only has a kitchenette in her
apartment although there is a large meeting room we could use if we needed
to. I was thinking that we'd eat here at home but... I really can't
remember how we did things last year. Then again there was nothing normal
about last year with my dad being in and out of the hospital as much as he
was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:35:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

>>Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

> Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
> also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
> although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
> allowed.

Yes. I think it is the combination of Italian and Catholic. I have plenty
of Catholic friends and way back when I did go to church, my Methodist
church teamed up with the nearby Catholic and Lutheran churches for a
variety of things so I am very familiar with how they do things here. How
they do things in other areas can be very different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 16:09:12 -0500, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:35:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
>>wrote:

>>>Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

>>Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
>>also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
>>although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
>>allowed.
>>
>>Doris

> Christmas Eve is the time for the Italian American celebration, The
> Feast of the Seven Fishes.
>
> koko

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:35:57 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

>> Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
>> also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
>> although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
>> allowed.
>>
>> Doris

> Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't
> disallow it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion. Many
> older Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)

Do not say that to an Italian American Catholic! At least not the ones in
PA. I learned that very quickly. Just go with the flow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2014 4:54 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't
>> disallow it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion.
>> Many older Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did. I
> never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a 10
> cent hotdog.

And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that religion
and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following a certain
kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though. Or avoiding
certain meats. For instance, Trader Joes had so many recalls on their
ground beef, I quit buying that. And I will never buy a Reser's product
again after Angela got food poisoning from them, although I did unwittingly
buy some tortillas that they made, not realizing that the Don Pancho brand
was theirs. I have not however heard of a case of food poisoning coming
from a tortilla though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

> it's going to be a bbq ribs Christmas this year at chez tert

Ah, okay!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Someone Else" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want to
>> get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.
>>
>> I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a
>> loaf of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me and
>> I have a few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and cheesecake. I
>> do have the cream cheese for that.
>>
>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
>>
>> I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
>> Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
>> thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
>> have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
>> again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't
>> want it again. So... Grrr...
>>
>> We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do with
>> what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast because
>> those weren't liked the last several times that I made them. I tried
>> various casseroles.
>>
>> Have you decided what you will make or serve?

> Sounds like your husband is a huge asshole.

I think I need to take a 'lil break and get me something to eat. Mayhaps my
blood sugar is low. That's the second thing I read wrong. I thought you
said that he had a huge asshole. Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:13:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> New Years will be a pork roast.

> You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
> in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
> substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.

Really? We always have a real meal. I sometimes do buy something special
to snack on like a cheese that I don't normally buy but generally we still
have enough stuff left over from Christmas that I don't need to buy anything
special.

New Year's day is when I now try to have a lot of snack food if my husband
is home. When I lived alone it was always the day that I took the tree down
and did my yearly document shredding. I was so busy that I was lucky to be
able to stop and grab something, anything to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 23:24:54 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:13:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> New Years will be a pork roast.

>You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
>in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
>substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.

NYE in our house means beef tenderloin roast or rack of lamb or
something equally decadent. I justify the expense by the fact that
we're saving hundreds of dollars by staying home by ourselves.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
>>> also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
>>> because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
>>> garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

>> Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

> Catholic but... I do realize that not all Catholics do this. They
> certainly do not here. It really goes beyond no meat. Originally they
> were supposed to serve seven fishes. But I was watching a show with Nick
> Stellino a few years ago and he said that many Italian/American Catholics
> keep trying to outdo themselves from one year to the next by adding more
> and more fish dishes to their table.

..

Thanks for the explanation Julie.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2014 2:24 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:13:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> New Years will be a pork roast.

> You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
> in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
> substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.

He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.

Jill

Do you have a Christmas Menu? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 249 29-12-2011 09:15 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 07:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 12:08 AM