Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> I'm sure you told me before but my memory isn't as good as it used to
>> be. What rank is your husband? My was an E-9 when he retired. My Son
>> just made E-7, he will probably retire at that rank.

> E9. Just like Henry's meter strips.

LMAO

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> You would be surprised how many lower rank service members are
> married. My Husband was a e-2 when we married and we lived on $190.00
> a month. That was 43 years ago....I could also buy groceries for two
> weeks for $15.00. We didn't have a lot but we had each other, I was 17
> and he was 21.

Awww. I was 17 when I married my first husband, he was 20.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
>> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes
>> and cheap carbs)
>>
>> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home
>> buyer who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT
>> be very excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>>
>> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are
>> usually cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than
>> double that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that
>> i know aren't buying these things
>>
>> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>>

>> kate

> I have a neighbor who is a single mother. She's from South America
> but served in our Navy. The way she talks she is very poor and very
> cheap. But she does own her own house. And in this area you just
> can't do that if you're poor. Granted she did buy it before we bought
> ours so the price would have been cheaper.
>
> She is a staunch low carber. They eat a ton of chicken and steak.
> She told me that her daughter who is Angela's age eats a huge steak
> for breakfast every morning. Steak is not something we can buy often.
> When I do buy them they are not huge and I usually get the thin sliced
> for Sukyaki.
>
> But what really gets me is all the fruit she lets go to waste. They
> have apple and pear trees and also grape vines. She doesn't pick or
> eat any of it. Perhaps because she *is* a low carber. But you'd
> think she would at least offer it up to the neighbors or something.
> That's what I did when I

I'd be brazen and ask if I could take it off her hands No hide, no
Xmas box!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:20 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> a great uncle went every year to georgia to get the first crop peaches...
>> every year i was spending time at my grandmother's, every year he would
>> say
>> go eat all you want... every year i ate until i was either sick or soon
>> after, lol, Lee

> evil UNCLE!!!
>
> well, i had gone to BC's orchard valley and picked up a couple pounds of
> cherries
>
> as a child we got 5...... FIVE cherries and that was it
>
> well, here i was, 2 POUNDS of cherries..........thought i died and gone to
> heaven
>
> few hours later........ just thought i had died by inversion

My parents didn't ration most foods although generally there was only so
much food and it was split four ways, evenly. I don't recall my mom ever
giving us small portions although perhaps she did when we were really
little. She said at age 2 I would eat 2 whole pork chops.

We always got 2 donuts or 2 cookies. Now that I can see because they are
sweets. But we were only allowed 5 olives. Now if there were black and
green we could have 5 of each. I don't know who came up with that amount.
But they were adamant about it. As a result, my brother and I have become
olive pigs. We can't do it at our parent's house because they still ration.
But if we bring our own (which we frequently do) or at home, we tend to eat
too many.

I have never really put restrictions on Angela's food except for sweets.
She never liked fruit all that much so I never needed to limit that. As for
the regular foods, her tummy seems to know what is a normal portion and she
has always stopped at that. And now of course she is on a low carb diet
which she understands.

I have worried about her snacking though. That seems to have gotten much
better now that she is on the thyroid med and Metformin. She did love her
snacks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 6:25 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> lol, i was twelve before i knew clothes came from a store... i knew
>> underwear and socks came from sears, at christmas of course, and i knew
>> in
>> some of the farm stores there were bibs and coats... but until the first
>> year i went to the school for the blind i had no idea clothes came from
>> anywhere but
>> -hand me downs from relatives
>> -yard sales
>> -my grandmothers and an aunt sewed them...
>>
>> Lee

> think i was about that age....... 14 rings some bells for me
>
> Mom made my clothes until i was 8 yrs old, upon which i made my own
> clothes and my brother's winter jackets (ok, 1 or 2 years later) and my
> brother's clothes
>
> it was JEANS, BELL BOTTOM JEANS that i wanted from the STORE
>
> i made a nice pair :/
>
> kate (bought her first store bought jeans at the age of 16) LOL

I was soooo envious of my friend's jeans and jackets. His mom made most all
of his clothing. She didn't use a pattern. She had him sketch out what he
wanted and she would make it. He later became a fashion designer. Not
famous but he did once make a costume for an Olympic ice skater who lived in
this area. His dad also sold antiques so he had all sorts of interesting
clothing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:30 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i was so freaked out i can tell you the total bill for me to start school
>> was $212.80... and that was fourty years ago, Lee

> whoa........... was that store bought clothes or home made??
>
> i forget how old i was when buying the materials actually cost more than
> buying the finished item in a shop
>
> i do sew when i'm being uber fussy, but often i can take a store bought
> and finish the seams better, etc, and still save money over making it from
> scratch!
>
> high end 2nd hand clothes stores also give you this advantage...........
> do i care that it's 2 years old? not really LOL

I can remember my parents trying to pressure me into wearing Levi's. They
sold in those days for $5 a pair. Nobody in this area wore them but they
were worn in KS where my cousins lived. I remember it well. Super flares.
That's what my cousin wore.

Here we had to have Swabby's with the buttons down the crotch. They were
about $15 a pair. Now I would be happy if I could find jeans of any kind
for that price!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes and
> school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i went to
> school, Lee

I generally had to wear expensive shoes because I had narrow feet. But then
when I reached Jr. High, my feet became medium width and I began wearing
cheap shoes. But only briefly because they hurt my feet.

By High School I had discovered Famolares. I loved them! I was in Deca and
one of my jobs was to put a display in the window outside the student store.
I got a cockamamie idea to display some Famolare shoes on piles of bricks.
The bricks was the stupid part. Hauling them all in was no fun. But...
Apparently it was very good advertising for the shoe store. The owner was
very happy about it and he sold me any shoes I wanted at cost. He also
called me the minute the new styles came in so I could buy them a couple of
days before they put them out for sale. That made me feel special!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
>lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee

I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 12:24 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was
>>> a kid,
>>> lol, Lee

>> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon
>> candy, deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>>
>> HEAVEN!!!
>>
>> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
>> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
>> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing
>> how many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada,
>> hand warmer, etc LOL)
>>
>> kate

> Heh! People keep buying Angela Jacks. I think my mom was doing it
> year after year just as she did for me. She always forgets from one
> year to the next what she has bought. I finally had to tell her to
> quit putting needles in my stocking! I don't sew. And I had dozens
> of packs of those. Angela got more Jacks this last year from her
> cousin. She was like... Why do people keep buying me these? Kids
> don't use them these days. And even in my day I didn't see the
> appeal. My mom loved them. Me? Not so much.
>
> I had to really try hard to come up with new items for the surprise
> ball this year. I don't want to keep putting the same things in it
> year after year. I did put some nail clippers in but these are the
> deluxe ones with the purple cushiony covering. I don't think the
> others go through clippers like we do. Clippers are just doomed in
> our house. They either get lost or broken.

Same here, lost or broken. Even if we buy expensive ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes
>> and school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i
>> went to school, Lee

> I generally had to wear expensive shoes because I had narrow feet.
> But then when I reached Jr. High, my feet became medium width and I
> began wearing cheap shoes. But only briefly because they hurt my
> feet.

Black leather or leather-look here with laces. Most Catholic schools had
brown as their uniform shoes. Over the years they allowed joggers
although my son's high school wants black lace-ups but they can be black
jogger style.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon
>>> candy, deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>>>
>>> HEAVEN!!!
>>>
>>> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
>>> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
>>> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing
>>> how many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada,
>>> hand warmer, etc LOL)
>>>
>>> kate

>> Heh! People keep buying Angela Jacks. I think my mom was doing it
>> year after year just as she did for me. She always forgets from one
>> year to the next what she has bought. I finally had to tell her to
>> quit putting needles in my stocking! I don't sew. And I had dozens
>> of packs of those. Angela got more Jacks this last year from her
>> cousin. She was like... Why do people keep buying me these? Kids
>> don't use them these days. And even in my day I didn't see the
>> appeal. My mom loved them. Me? Not so much.
>>
>> I had to really try hard to come up with new items for the surprise
>> ball this year. I don't want to keep putting the same things in it
>> year after year. I did put some nail clippers in but these are the
>> deluxe ones with the purple cushiony covering. I don't think the
>> others go through clippers like we do. Clippers are just doomed in
>> our house. They either get lost or broken.

> Same here, lost or broken. Even if we buy expensive ones.

I have my own and I manage to keep those. Same for my husband after I
threatened him. I don't know what he was doing with them. I finally bought
him a Family Bath pack. Finger and toenail clippers, maybe some tweezers,
and maybe some emery boards. I can't remember what all was in there. I
said, "These are the last clippers I'm buying for you!" He actually took me
seriously and I have never had to buy him any more. It's Angela that's the
problem. I have assembled manicure kits for her but she keeps losing the
clippers. Now I keep them by my computer desk. She is supposed to ask for
them and then hand them back to me. The problem? She knows where I keep
them. Will get them when I am in the bathroom or taking the trash out and
then I don't get them back.

I keep thinking a treasure trove of them will turn up like happened with the
scissors. But so far no go.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes
>>> and school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off
>>> i went to school, Lee

>> I generally had to wear expensive shoes because I had narrow feet.
>> But then when I reached Jr. High, my feet became medium width and I
>> began wearing cheap shoes. But only briefly because they hurt my
>> feet.

> Black leather or leather-look here with laces. Most Catholic schools
> had brown as their uniform shoes. Over the years they allowed joggers
> although my son's high school wants black lace-ups but they can be
> black jogger style.

I am glad Angela's school doesn't have a uniform. They do have a dress code
and a somewhat strict one in my book but the stuff that isn't allowed isn't
stuff she would wear anyway. Like short skirts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of the things i did during the walk through was to take off my shoes and
socks and sit on the floor in two different rooms... part of the sales pitch
to this house is that it is supposed to be energy cheap... the crawl space
is sealed and entered in the house... and the floor is supposed to be
warm... and shocker, the thermo was set on sixty four, which is my ideal
winter temp and the floor wasn't warm but was in no way even chilly... but a
blanket would keep the heat in the airmatress, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 11:17 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> one of the things we salvaged were two air beds, so we will probably use
>> those, both are full so not enough room for us on one, Lee

> hint: put blankets or padding UNDER the air bed to keep it warmer! even
> that thin reflective material makes a difference, but that's more $ to
> spend when you can probably buy used goodwill/St Vincent blankets/quilts
> for FAR less
>
> **hugs**
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that was how it seems until this first year at the school... but until then
it was underwear/socks at christmas from sears, one pair of shoes for school
and one for gym, at the beginning of school, one new outfit for easter, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 11:19 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes and
>> school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i went to
>> school, Lee

> underwear and socks - Christmas
> shoes and 1 outfit - back to school
> another outfit - Birthday
> anything missed - Christmas LOL
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

hey if its in your yard why not, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
>> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes and
>> cheap carbs)
>>
>> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home buyer
>> who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT be very
>> excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>>
>> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are usually
>> cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than double
>> that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that i know
>> aren't buying these things
>>
>> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>>

>> kate

> I have a neighbor who is a single mother. She's from South America but
> served in our Navy. The way she talks she is very poor and very cheap.
> But she does own her own house. And in this area you just can't do that
> if you're poor. Granted she did buy it before we bought ours so the price
> would have been cheaper.
>
> She is a staunch low carber. They eat a ton of chicken and steak. She
> told me that her daughter who is Angela's age eats a huge steak for
> breakfast every morning. Steak is not something we can buy often. When I
> do buy them they are not huge and I usually get the thin sliced for
> Sukyaki.
>
> But what really gets me is all the fruit she lets go to waste. They have
> apple and pear trees and also grape vines. She doesn't pick or eat any of
> it. Perhaps because she *is* a low carber. But you'd think she would at
> least offer it up to the neighbors or something. That's what I did when I
> had excess produce. But no. We watch it fall and rot. I have been
> tempted to pick the grapes that poke through the fence.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

now that is something a women's shelter could use... I intend to have two
sets of flannel and two sets of cotton for each bed, and that is all, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 12:58 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be
>>> done
>>> even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you still do
>>> the
>>> work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee

>> 1. never pay full retail
>>

> I do. But... I have been doing most of my grocery shopping at Winco and
> Walmart and their full retail can be half the price or less than other
> stores. I am careful what I buy there though. Not so much in the way of
> meats. Lunch meats, fine. We don't eat a lot of that. I eat hardly any.
> I like grass fed beef and Angela likes organic chicken. That's not cheap
> and not usually on sale. I also don't like using meat that has been
> frozen. I do cook some and freeze individual portions. That's fine. But
> I don't like cooking it from frozen or trying to thaw out the frozen meat.
> So I rarely do that. That reminds me. Need to thaw that turkey leg for
> my husband. There was one left that he didn't eat.
>
>> 2. never look a gift horse in the mouth

> Well I can't say that I do that. I tend to get a LOT of gifts I have no
> use for at all. Nor anyone I can re-gift them to. I don't know why but I
> tend to get a lot of bedding. I did ask for flannel sheets one year some
> many years ago. But in recent years I haven't asked for any and I don't
> need any. But I have gotten countless blankets including an electric one
> and a set of sheets. All the wrong sizes for my bed. I say sizes because
> the same people have bought me various different sizes and none of them
> the right one! We do have a twin, double and Queen bed in this house.
> And King sized things will work on the Queen bed. I don't know why but if
> I try to put actual Queen sized on that bed, the sheets keep popping off.
> It's as though they're a bit too small. King is a little large but seems
> to get a better fit. So really if I get the wrong size whatever, somebody
> else will have a bed that size. But... Nobody in the house needs any
> bedding at all. So hopefully we won't be getting any this year. I just
> gave away a bunch of it all still in the package. I hated to do that but
> I also just don't have the space to store that stuff until we do need it.
> And it wasn't really to my taste anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i take it by spells, i will do fine for a few days/weeks then something sets
me off, last thing was when w e were in the laundry room and project manager
fired up the hot water heater and showed me and dh how it worked... the
sound of it starting was like a mini flash back, and i almost wet myself...
i hadn't even thought about the sounds of the fire for months but that
really bothered me. on the other hand i made myself stand there while it
got started and when dh asked me wht was wrong i said remembering, and i was
able to stand there without totally melting down, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> insurance did everything according to the book, it was my mental state
>> that caused most of the problems, we did our walk through on the house on
>> monday, i dilligently serched for every single little thing i could find
>> wrong, and i nagged dh and asked enough questions i swear he would have
>> had a right to smack me in the mouth... but there were only a few minor
>> things that at worst would have been irritating had we missed them...
>> this weeks job is getting the money from the accounts and giving the
>> final check... after lots of discussion and crying and other
>> manic/paranoid behavoirs... we have opted to use what money we have to
>> get the thing paid for without barrowing more money... this of course
>> causes one to reconsider such luxuries as a bed and toilet paper, lol,
>> Lee, who is actually much better now

> lol @ the bed and toilet paper
>
> Hope you continue to feel better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is part of the reason we have decided to use both of the ones we
"think" are still good... will cost two sets of sheets, both will be flannel
but i figure getting up to go to the restroom will be less disturbing, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>>
>> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
>> CostCo here
>>
>> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for camping
>> and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now

> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and myself
> shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I bounced onto
> the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the other bounced out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> that was how it seems until this first year at the school... but until
> then it was underwear/socks at christmas from sears, one pair of shoes for
> school and one for gym, at the beginning of school, one new outfit for
> easter, Lee

I got the new outfit for Easter too, until the year my mom decided I could
use the top from a dance costume. Gah! I HATED that costume. The top was
made of a stiff white fabric. Not exactly eyelet but something similar. It
had little flocked bits on it, I think. Super poofy short sleeves. Really
more costumy than anything else. The skirt was satin. Black on the outside
and yellow on the inside with a belt that was black on one side and yellow
on the other. It wasn't even a good yellow and I think the black on the
back made it look more mustardy. I'm not sure how I wound up with the
yellow. I just remember that we each had to have a different color. It was
sort of a Cancan dance and the color was supposed to show when we did high
kicks.

A few years later I got another costume for an Easter dress. This was a
long gingham dress of green with yellow flowers. Again, not a fabric I
would have picked.

And then there was the year my mom made me the "toilet" outfit. She
actually made two of them. I guess you would call them a romper. They were
one piece things with short sleeves and short legs. Zipper down the front.
One was bright colors of red and blue. The other was a pukey gold with tiny
purple flowers. That was the "toilet" one. She had some up with the bright
idea of making an elastic waist skirt to go over it.

We had gone out to eat and I brought a friend along. My mom is one of those
people who insists that we wear a jacket or sweater pretty much all the
time. Angela and I rarely do it now even in the dead of winter. She will
wear a jacket or coat to school because she is standing outside. But if we
are going in the car, we usually don't wear one. But I do insist that she
bring one with her.

So anyway we were in this restaurant and I had to use the bathroom. I went
in there and realized that there was no way to take down this romper without
taking off my sweater and pulling down my skirt. I really had to go. So I
was trying to do all of this at once and succeeded in dropping the top of
the romper into the toilet. Was I happy? No. I was not. I don't think I
wore either one after that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yeah tbh the dh was quite disturbed when we were at the walk through and
realised he needed toilet paper and there was none, i ended up giving him
some napkins from mcds as a substitute, good thing i guess i save them in
the glove box, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>>
>> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
>> CostCo here
>>
>> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for camping
>> and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now
>>
>> kate

> My BIL had one of those. Worked fine for a while but then kept getting
> holes in it.
>
> I don't mind sleeping on the floor. When we moved in here we had to do it
> for weeks while waiting for our furniture to arrive. I did buy egg crate
> mattress pads and cheap blankets to cover them with. And we had sleeping
> bags. But it was summer and super hot so we just used them for
> cushioning.
>
> But toilet paper? I think I would need that. Unless maybe I could use a
> sport top type water bottle as a makeshift bidet. I had to do that after
> Angela was born and had to go back into the hospital. I had failed to
> bring my peri bottle with me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> hey if its in your yard why not, Lee

No. It's not in my yard. Just hanging out over the sidewalk.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

stolen by my cat OEJ, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 12:24 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
>>> kid,
>>> lol, Lee

>> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon candy,
>> deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>>
>> HEAVEN!!!
>>
>> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
>> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
>> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing how
>> many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada, hand
>> warmer, etc LOL)
>>
>> kate

> Heh! People keep buying Angela Jacks. I think my mom was doing it year
> after year just as she did for me. She always forgets from one year to
> the next what she has bought. I finally had to tell her to quit putting
> needles in my stocking! I don't sew. And I had dozens of packs of those.
> Angela got more Jacks this last year from her cousin. She was like...
> Why do people keep buying me these? Kids don't use them these days. And
> even in my day I didn't see the appeal. My mom loved them. Me? Not so
> much.
>
> I had to really try hard to come up with new items for the surprise ball
> this year. I don't want to keep putting the same things in it year after
> year. I did put some nail clippers in but these are the deluxe ones with
> the purple cushiony covering. I don't think the others go through
> clippers like we do. Clippers are just doomed in our house. They either
> get lost or broken.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> now that is something a women's shelter could use... I intend to have two
> sets of flannel and two sets of cotton for each bed, and that is all, Lee

I give my unwanted stuff to Value Village. The money they make is used to
help the blind. I don't really know in what capacity. That reminds me. I
was going to take Angela there yesterday and I forgot to go! Not that we
feasibly could have. Traffic was so bad it took far longer to do what we
did do. But I do have a couple of coupons that need to be used by Dec.
31st.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am so glad its working itself out, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 10:20 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> a great uncle went every year to georgia to get the first crop
>>> peaches...
>>> every year i was spending time at my grandmother's, every year he would
>>> say
>>> go eat all you want... every year i ate until i was either sick or soon
>>> after, lol, Lee

>> evil UNCLE!!!
>>
>> well, i had gone to BC's orchard valley and picked up a couple pounds of
>> cherries
>>
>> as a child we got 5...... FIVE cherries and that was it
>>
>> well, here i was, 2 POUNDS of cherries..........thought i died and gone
>> to heaven
>>
>> few hours later........ just thought i had died by inversion

> My parents didn't ration most foods although generally there was only so
> much food and it was split four ways, evenly. I don't recall my mom ever
> giving us small portions although perhaps she did when we were really
> little. She said at age 2 I would eat 2 whole pork chops.
>
> We always got 2 donuts or 2 cookies. Now that I can see because they are
> sweets. But we were only allowed 5 olives. Now if there were black and
> green we could have 5 of each. I don't know who came up with that amount.
> But they were adamant about it. As a result, my brother and I have become
> olive pigs. We can't do it at our parent's house because they still
> ration. But if we bring our own (which we frequently do) or at home, we
> tend to eat too many.
>
> I have never really put restrictions on Angela's food except for sweets.
> She never liked fruit all that much so I never needed to limit that. As
> for the regular foods, her tummy seems to know what is a normal portion
> and she has always stopped at that. And now of course she is on a low
> carb diet which she understands.
>
> I have worried about her snacking though. That seems to have gotten much
> better now that she is on the thyroid med and Metformin. She did love her
> snacks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and i am sure made your feet happy, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes and
>> school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i went to
>> school, Lee

> I generally had to wear expensive shoes because I had narrow feet. But
> then when I reached Jr. High, my feet became medium width and I began
> wearing cheap shoes. But only briefly because they hurt my feet.
>
> By High School I had discovered Famolares. I loved them! I was in Deca
> and one of my jobs was to put a display in the window outside the student
> store. I got a cockamamie idea to display some Famolare shoes on piles of
> bricks. The bricks was the stupid part. Hauling them all in was no fun.
> But... Apparently it was very good advertising for the shoe store. The
> owner was very happy about it and he sold me any shoes I wanted at cost.
> He also called me the minute the new styles came in so I could buy them a
> couple of days before they put them out for sale. That made me feel
> special!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh thats different, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> hey if its in your yard why not, Lee

> No. It's not in my yard. Just hanging out over the sidewalk.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks for giving to a charity, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> now that is something a women's shelter could use... I intend to have two
>> sets of flannel and two sets of cotton for each bed, and that is all, Lee

> I give my unwanted stuff to Value Village. The money they make is used to
> help the blind. I don't really know in what capacity. That reminds me.
> I was going to take Angela there yesterday and I forgot to go! Not that
> we feasibly could have. Traffic was so bad it took far longer to do what
> we did do. But I do have a couple of coupons that need to be used by Dec.
> 31st.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Can you get up off the floor with dignity?

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> that is part of the reason we have decided to use both of the ones we
> "think" are still good... will cost two sets of sheets, both will be
> flannel but i figure getting up to go to the restroom will be less
> disturbing, Lee
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>>>
>>> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35
>>> at CostCo here
>>>
>>> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for
>>> camping and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now

>> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
>> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
>> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
>> other bounced out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> yeah tbh the dh was quite disturbed when we were at the walk through
> and realised he needed toilet paper and there was none, i ended up
> giving him some napkins from mcds as a substitute, good thing i guess
> i save them in the glove box, lol, Lee

lol, I carry baby wipes.

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>>>
>>> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35
>>> at CostCo here
>>>
>>> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for
>>> camping and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now
>>>
>>> kate

>> My BIL had one of those. Worked fine for a while but then kept
>> getting holes in it.
>>
>> I don't mind sleeping on the floor. When we moved in here we had to
>> do it for weeks while waiting for our furniture to arrive. I did buy
>> egg crate mattress pads and cheap blankets to cover them with. And
>> we had sleeping bags. But it was summer and super hot so we just
>> used them for cushioning.
>>
>> But toilet paper? I think I would need that. Unless maybe I could
>> use a sport top type water bottle as a makeshift bidet. I had to do
>> that after Angela was born and had to go back into the hospital. I
>> had failed to bring my peri bottle with me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no but i shoot for "not looking like a total cow" lol, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Can you get up off the floor with dignity?
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> that is part of the reason we have decided to use both of the ones we
>> "think" are still good... will cost two sets of sheets, both will be
>> flannel but i figure getting up to go to the restroom will be less
>> disturbing, Lee

>>> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
>>> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
>>> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
>>> other bounced out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it never even crossed my mind, have no idea why not, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> yeah tbh the dh was quite disturbed when we were at the walk through and
>> realised he needed toilet paper and there was none, i ended up giving him
>> some napkins from mcds as a substitute, good thing i guess i save them in
>> the glove box, lol, Lee

> lol, I carry baby wipes.

>>> My BIL had one of those. Worked fine for a while but then kept getting
>>> holes in it.
>>>
>>> I don't mind sleeping on the floor. When we moved in here we had to do
>>> it for weeks while waiting for our furniture to arrive. I did buy egg
>>> crate mattress pads and cheap blankets to cover them with. And we had
>>> sleeping bags. But it was summer and super hot so we just used them for
>>> cushioning.
>>>
>>> But toilet paper? I think I would need that. Unless maybe I could use
>>> a sport top type water bottle as a makeshift bidet. I had to do that
>>> after Angela was born and had to go back into the hospital. I had
>>> failed to bring my peri bottle with me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have them in my loo too

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it never even crossed my mind, have no idea why not, Lee
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> yeah tbh the dh was quite disturbed when we were at the walk through
>>> and realised he needed toilet paper and there was none, i ended up
>>> giving him some napkins from mcds as a substitute, good thing i
>>> guess i save them in the glove box, lol, Lee

>> lol, I carry baby wipes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
>> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes and
>> cheap carbs)
>>
>> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home buyer
>> who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT be very
>> excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>>
>> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are usually
>> cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than double
>> that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that i know
>> aren't buying these things
>>
>> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>>

>> kate

> I have a neighbor who is a single mother. She's from South America but
> served in our Navy. The way she talks she is very poor and very cheap.
> But she does own her own house. And in this area you just can't do that
> if you're poor. Granted she did buy it before we bought ours so the price
> would have been cheaper.
>
> She is a staunch low carber. They eat a ton of chicken and steak. She
> told me that her daughter who is Angela's age eats a huge steak for
> breakfast every morning. Steak is not something we can buy often. When I
> do buy them they are not huge and I usually get the thin sliced for
> Sukyaki.
>
> But what really gets me is all the fruit she lets go to waste. They have
> apple and pear trees and also grape vines. She doesn't pick or eat any of
> it. Perhaps because she *is* a low carber. But you'd think she would at
> least offer it up to the neighbors or something. That's what I did when I
> had excess produce. But no. We watch it fall and rot. I have been
> tempted to pick the grapes that poke through the fence.

You could always ask her if you could purchase some of it and pick your own.
Sounds like you know enough about her that it wouldn't be like asking a
stranger. You could probably get it cheap, and be helping her out at the
same time.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
for your gardening attempts?

I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
gardening too.

On 12/21/2011 12:11 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 10:07 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> staring at refurnishing the house brings this home, our bills aren't high
>>> except for the scrpt food for the cats... but i am a very frugal shopper
>>> so
>>> as soon as i save enough for a freezer i will be sale shopping and bulk
>>> cooking again, Lee

>> only way to go Lee!
>>
>> we garden as well
>>
>> kate (garden keeps growing)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee

> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
past that row, though.

You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.

Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 1:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 10:30 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i was so freaked out i can tell you the total bill for me to start school
>>> was $212.80... and that was fourty years ago, Lee

>> whoa........... was that store bought clothes or home made??
>>
>> i forget how old i was when buying the materials actually cost more than
>> buying the finished item in a shop
>>
>> i do sew when i'm being uber fussy, but often i can take a store bought
>> and finish the seams better, etc, and still save money over making it from
>> scratch!
>>
>> high end 2nd hand clothes stores also give you this advantage...........
>> do i care that it's 2 years old? not really LOL

> I can remember my parents trying to pressure me into wearing Levi's. They
> sold in those days for $5 a pair. Nobody in this area wore them but they
> were worn in KS where my cousins lived. I remember it well. Super flares.
> That's what my cousin wore.
>
> Here we had to have Swabby's with the buttons down the crotch. They were
> about $15 a pair. Now I would be happy if I could find jeans of any kind
> for that price!

I remember one of my last few jobs saying that you were expected to wear
jeans there, even though it was basically an office. So I bought two
pairs, then had to find a dry cleaning place that would shorten then a
little so they would fit me.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was actually thinking of getting the plant that makes metformen, sp, lol,
Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
> for your gardening attempts?
>
> I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
> gardening too.
>
> On 12/21/2011 12:11 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
>> seems,
>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol,
>> Lee
>>>
>>> only way to go Lee!
>>>
>>> we garden as well
>>>
>>> kate (garden keeps growing)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Robert > wrote in message
>> My mother made many of our clothes and preferred to present them
>> when they were ready instead of saving them for Christmas.
>>
>> At least one of my sisters did the same for her children.
>>

> My grandmas often made us stuff for Christmas. One knitted and crocheted.
> The other one tried that and failed miserably. She made us all slippers for
> Christmas one year. Oh how I hated those knitted slippers! They were rough
> to wear and yet slippery on a wood floor. When they got dirty, my mom
> washed them out in the bathtub and hung them to dry. We all watched in
> horror as they stretched to monstrous proportions. My dad's were the worst.
> His grew to about 2 feet long. They never shrank back.
>
> That grandma did sew though and one year she made me a pretty green velvet
> dress with a white bib and a black tie around the waist.

My mother and at least one sister also knitted, so rather thick sweaters
and the like weren't in short supply. My mother also taught me how to
knit, but I never did much with it. I don't remember seeing any
crocheting among the family.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Mine are in small containers Robert. I can't have anything bigger anyway
as it would be beyond my ability to use them.

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
> for your gardening attempts?
>
> I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
> gardening too.
>
> On 12/21/2011 12:11 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
>> seems,
>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway,
>> lol, Lee
>>>
>>> only way to go Lee!
>>>
>>> we garden as well
>>>
>>> kate (garden keeps growing)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it never even crossed my mind, have no idea why not, Lee

I have baby wipes in my van. In my purse I have a little cosmetic bag with
assorted wipes. Lens cleaners, Sport Wipes, Spot Wipes and those wipes
meant for "that time of the month".

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 20-12-2014 11:46 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 08:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 08:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 06:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 15-12-2006 11:08 PM