Old 20-12-2011, 07:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

my mom grew up in the back woods of MO so if they didn't grow it/can it it
didn't get bought often if it were fruit, my grandmother canned apples,
berries of all types and pears that they grew, citrus was a real treat, Lee
"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We lived in Montana and the Mts of Washington State when I was a kid and
oranges were a very nice treat

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
kid, lol, Lee
"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used
one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings
that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we
have today.
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the
only one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if
purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt,
slate cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was little
enough i let older brother talk me into it not having a clue what it
was... its now living in the basement at my moms and is over fourty
years old and in great condition because he has replaced the felt and
rubbers a few times. Lee

I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us
were necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and
underwear. Once in a while I would get a new dress and my brother
would usually get pants and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes just
the same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous Five etc)
and bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of small toys
all in the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips, lollies and
some cheap little thing or two and one "big" present. My favourite was
a 3 wheeler bike with a bell and a tray at the back

When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in all
of our stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I knew I
would be needing or I would find extras of things around the house and
just put them in there. She never knew. She just thought Santa did a
good job of giving me what I needed!

Clever Santa

Old 20-12-2011, 10:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a kid,
lol, Lee

My mom said that too. But I never liked them.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and
a while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always
used one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the
stockings that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy
stockings we have today.

I got Jasmine a little felt bag this year instead of the stocking, they
are too awkward IMO. the bag is red with a handle and a Santa Motif on
it. About the size of a library bag.

I also bought a throwaway heavy paper "sack".

Old 21-12-2011, 12:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-o-archive: yes

On 12/20/2011 5:39 PM, Jacquie wrote:
In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you were
a certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it
wasn't very good medical care, today is much better. There are still
young families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in
there was no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't happen
until the early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

I think some folks say different things on different days, too.

There was recent discussion of both past and present, and inconsistency
galore.

Yes, there are still young military families who qualify for food stamps
and whose military income provides only marginal QOL. The medical care
seems to vary a great deal. I know some military and retired military
who are very happy with their care and others who're receiving terrible
care and advice from the VA med centers.

Susan

Old 21-12-2011, 12:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
it seems my mom did this but i didn't realise it until i thought about
it, Lee

Mine got things on a store account, cheap dept store. If we wanted
clothes that didn't come from the op shops we had to choose from the
store Mum had an account with.

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We call them Lay-aways here. My kids would never had gotten toys if I
couldn't do Lay-away.Sure helped a lot

Old 21-12-2011, 12:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message
x-o-archive: yes

On 12/20/2011 5:39 PM, Jacquie wrote:
In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you
were
a certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it
wasn't very good medical care, today is much better. There are still
young families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in
there was no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't
happen
until the early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

I think some folks say different things on different days, too.

And some folks like to stir the shit, let it go.

Old 21-12-2011, 01:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.

On 12/20/2011 4:53 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally
figured out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they
took donations, without that people either surrender their animals or
use food they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps
nobody's nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t
leftovers and they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single
thing to supplement say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if
they will eat it, but that should only be a supplement, Lee

I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
or/lonely.

As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still
be done even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate,
you still do the work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank,
Lee

Yes. We get a lot of coupons we can't use and also store coupons on
occasion for free things we can't eat. And apparently there is a huge
need for cat food this year. We saw a cat food donation bin today. I
tried to find one last year and couldn't. Nice to know that the
regular food bank will take it. I stocked up on food the other day
and screwed up as to the kind I bought. They will only eat tuna and
only certain kinds. I bought the wrong kind and they wouldn't touch
it. So it went off to the food bank along with the BG kind. I really
thought they would like that!

Old 21-12-2011, 01:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, i was twelve before i knew clothes came from a store... i knew
underwear and socks came from sears, at christmas of course, and i knew in
some of the farm stores there were bibs and coats... but until the first
year i went to the school for the blind i had no idea clothes came from
anywhere but
-hand me downs from relatives
-yard sales
-my grandmothers and an aunt sewed them...

Old 21-12-2011, 01:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I prefer giving mostly time on my computers to BOINC projects,
especially those related to medical research, but also give
some money to those which need it.

I've found this BOINC project about the best introduction to
such projects:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Click on each of the small pictures under the big picture to
see their various subprojects. If you want the one most
related to diabetes research, look for the one with Proteome
in its name; it works at such an early stage of medical
research that it usually isn't known yet just what conditions
they will be helping. Appears to be financed mostly by IBM.

Another even more related to diabetes research:

http://cbl-boinc-server2.cs.technion...inkattechnion/

Officially still in beta testing, but has lost so many of their
project staff that they now seldom change their software in any
visible way. Working on the genetics of various conditions,
with diabetes first on the list. Does not always have workunits
available, so it should not be your only BOINC project.

I've found more, but those look like the best start.

BOINC projects are intended to run in the background on your
computer(s), and make use of any computer time left over from
other things you do on the computer. Intended to avoid
interfering with your normal computer use, but I've found
that adding more memory can be needed to avoid such
interference.

Also, I've found this group, which allows you to choose which
educational project you want to help the most, and direct
donations the

http://www.donorschoose.org/

Appears to be aimed at schools in the US only.

Robert Miles

On 12/20/2011 1:10 PM, Jacquie wrote:
My husband was in the AF for thirty years and the early years were very
slim. We never bought gifts for each other until about 25 years ago.
Then it was usually one gift. He now has retirement from the AF and is
making good money teaching at a local Community College. So we now buy
gifts for each other and the kids and Grandkids...why not when we can
afford it....when he retires from the CC we will have to cut back but
now we can live comfortably. We also give to many charities throughout
the year and Christmas. For the past 15 years we have bought two bikes
for Toys for Tots. We also give to the Local Community Food Bank...who
can use the donations , especially in these times. We are so lucky the
recession has not hit us and are able to give to those in need right
now. We also give to many pet rescue groups. My husband and I both enjoy
giving. We used to give our time to Charities, since we didn't have the
money, but now my health keeps me from moving around a lot so we give
money now, while we can....

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids
it costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress
inducing, so even if i had all the money i have ever spent on
holidays i would still be freaking, lol, Lee

My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him
but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just
a little token thing.

Old 21-12-2011, 02:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
: i have no facts but my grandfather's dogs always did well and they were all
: working dogs, Lee
: "Robert Miles" wrote in message
: ...
: I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
: they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.
:

My husband told me that when he was a boy his father had seeral dogs over
time and they alwasy had quite a bit of bread as part f their diet. Of
course, much of his youth was during the Depression so no one was in a
position to throw around meat.

Wendy
Old 21-12-2011, 03:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

My mother made many of our clothes and preferred to present them
when they were ready instead of saving them for Christmas.

At least one of my sisters did the same for her children.

Old 21-12-2011, 03:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you were a
certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it wasn't
very good medical care, today is much better. There are still young
families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in there was
no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't happen until the
early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Yes, some do qualify. Mostly young couples who have several children and
the wife doesn't work. But that is not the norm.

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 20-12-2014 11:46 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 08:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 08:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 06:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 15-12-2006 11:08 PM