Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
>>> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes and
>>> cheap carbs)
>>>
>>> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home buyer
>>> who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT be very
>>> excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>>>
>>> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are
>>> usually cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than
>>> double that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that i
>>> know aren't buying these things
>>>
>>> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>>>

>>> kate

>> I have a neighbor who is a single mother. She's from South America but
>> served in our Navy. The way she talks she is very poor and very cheap.
>> But she does own her own house. And in this area you just can't do that
>> if you're poor. Granted she did buy it before we bought ours so the
>> price would have been cheaper.
>>
>> She is a staunch low carber. They eat a ton of chicken and steak. She
>> told me that her daughter who is Angela's age eats a huge steak for
>> breakfast every morning. Steak is not something we can buy often. When
>> I do buy them they are not huge and I usually get the thin sliced for
>> Sukyaki.
>>
>> But what really gets me is all the fruit she lets go to waste. They have
>> apple and pear trees and also grape vines. She doesn't pick or eat any
>> of it. Perhaps because she *is* a low carber. But you'd think she would
>> at least offer it up to the neighbors or something. That's what I did
>> when I had excess produce. But no. We watch it fall and rot. I have
>> been tempted to pick the grapes that poke through the fence.

> You could always ask her if you could purchase some of it and pick your
> own. Sounds like you know enough about her that it wouldn't be like asking
> a stranger. You could probably get it cheap, and be helping her out at the
> same time.

True. I haven't kept in contact with her for several years. We kept trying
to get Angela and her daughter together and they did dance together the
first year we were here. Her daughter simply does not like dance so she let
her quit. And outside of that they really have nothing in common. But we
used to get together at least once a week.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
> for your gardening attempts?
>
> I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
> gardening too.

I've read that too but oddly those are they ones I usually kill. My
lavender came back for many years and the parsley reseeded itself like
crazy. But for as little fresh parsley as I actually use, I didn't need it.
And I hated that the wild animals were being drawn so close to my house.
I'm talking raccoons and possums.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
>>> seems,
>>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol,
>>> Lee

>> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
>> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

> For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
> by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
> garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
> past that row, though.
>
> You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
>
> Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
> them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.

I was using Earth Boxes so no way to do that. And the animals were eating
the peppers, including the hot ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles > wrote:
: On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
: >> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee
: >
: > I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
: > eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

: For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
: by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
: garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
: past that row, though.

: You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.

: Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
: them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.

You can always put out those shallow dishes of beer for the slugs. they
love it, fall in and drown, but drown happy, at least:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles > wrote:
: I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
: confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
: for your gardening attempts?

I had oregono once that took over a whole garden even though I kept
fighting it. then one yer it al droped dead.

: I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
: gardening too.

I had a friend who was in tht position after a stroke. He had some kind
of waist high long boxes built so he oculd garden from a chair. Not his
old couple of acres, buts till teh satisfaction of growing plants and
herbs. In addition, it wodl keep the oregono from taking over:-)

Wendy

: On 12/21/2011 12:11 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
: > i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
: > lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee
: > "Tiger > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> On 12/20/2011 10:07 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
: >>> staring at refurnishing the house brings this home, our bills aren't high
: >>> except for the scrpt food for the cats... but i am a very frugal shopper
: >>> so
: >>> as soon as i save enough for a freezer i will be sale shopping and bulk
: >>> cooking again, Lee
: >>
: >> only way to go Lee!
: >>
: >> we garden as well
: >>
: >> kate (garden keeps growing)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 1:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> whoa........... was that store bought clothes or home made??
>>>
>>> i forget how old i was when buying the materials actually cost more than
>>> buying the finished item in a shop
>>>
>>> i do sew when i'm being uber fussy, but often i can take a store bought
>>> and finish the seams better, etc, and still save money over making it
>>> from
>>> scratch!
>>>
>>> high end 2nd hand clothes stores also give you this advantage...........
>>> do i care that it's 2 years old? not really LOL

>> I can remember my parents trying to pressure me into wearing Levi's.
>> They
>> sold in those days for $5 a pair. Nobody in this area wore them but
>> they
>> were worn in KS where my cousins lived. I remember it well. Super
>> flares.
>> That's what my cousin wore.
>>
>> Here we had to have Swabby's with the buttons down the crotch. They were
>> about $15 a pair. Now I would be happy if I could find jeans of any kind
>> for that price!

> I remember one of my last few jobs saying that you were expected to wear
> jeans there, even though it was basically an office. So I bought two
> pairs, then had to find a dry cleaning place that would shorten then a
> little so they would fit me.

When I worked at K Mart we were required to wear a dress for opening day.
The only dresses I had at that time were some cheap sundresses I had made.
You used to be able to get material that was smocked at the top. All that
was needed was a seam up the back and you had a dress. I added yellow
ribbon for straps to the one dress. For the other one it had stripes on the
bottom. I cut off one stripe and used it to make straps. Fine but... We
were not allowed to wear a sundress to work. So I had to wear a top under
one. I loaned the other one to a girl who didn't own a dress and really
didn't want to wear one. My feet killed me that day because the only shoes
I had that could be worn with a dress were heels and I was standing at a
register all day.

They had a strict dress code and the clothes I had worn at Jafco were for
the most part not allowed there. We could not wear denim or corduroy. So I
bought two pairs of polyester (this was the 70's) dress pants and two
blouses. I did have shoes that were fine.

But within weeks, I got transferred to the garden shop. There we were
supposed to wear jeans and athletic shoes because we were doing a lot of
running around and loading heavy things into customer's cars. I didn't own
any of either so I had to buy them.

I worked in the garden shop for several years and was eventually made
manager.

But then I switched jobs several times and wound up in a job where I could
no longer wear the athletic shoes or jeans.

Then I moved to Cape Cod and got a job at a golf course. With that job I
was required to dress as a golfer. So I bought all these clothes I wouldn't
ordinarily wear.

For years I wore polo shirts because they were all I had. I was sooo happy
to finally be able to give them all away and buy clothes that I actually
liked.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert > wrote in message
>>> My mother made many of our clothes and preferred to present them
>>> when they were ready instead of saving them for Christmas.
>>>
>>> At least one of my sisters did the same for her children.
>>>

>> My grandmas often made us stuff for Christmas. One knitted and
>> crocheted.
>> The other one tried that and failed miserably. She made us all slippers
>> for
>> Christmas one year. Oh how I hated those knitted slippers! They were
>> rough
>> to wear and yet slippery on a wood floor. When they got dirty, my mom
>> washed them out in the bathtub and hung them to dry. We all watched in
>> horror as they stretched to monstrous proportions. My dad's were the
>> worst.
>> His grew to about 2 feet long. They never shrank back.
>>
>> That grandma did sew though and one year she made me a pretty green
>> velvet
>> dress with a white bib and a black tie around the waist.

> My mother and at least one sister also knitted, so rather thick sweaters
> and the like weren't in short supply. My mother also taught me how to
> knit, but I never did much with it. I don't remember seeing any
> crocheting among the family.

I never could knit. I could put the yarn on the needles but it wouldn't
look right when I took it off. I can crochet but I gave it up due to
allergies. I was fine when I worked at K Mart because I could buy fresh
yarn, sealed in the plastic. But if the yarn has been sitting around, it
picks up dust and it makes me sneeze.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles > wrote:
: On 12/20/2011 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > "Robert > wrote in message
: > ...
[...]

I took up crocheting when i quit smokeing to give me something to keep my
hans occupied. made quite a few things, including bedspreadsfor the boys'
bunk beds, matching vests for the boys and my suband. Other pullovers for
the boys and a ced spread of 64 squares of roses for my Mother's house, I
stil have that spread and use it in the country.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and birds eat peppers and never taste the hot, Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
>>> seems,
>>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol,
>>> Lee

>> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
>> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

> For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
> by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
> garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
> past that row, though.
>
> You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
>
> Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
> them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my one grandmother even did tatting, she would get verragated, sp embrodiery
silk and do bunches of grapes on the ends of pillowcases, she was so good at
it that they always looked as if they had sun on because of how she did
them. Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert > wrote in message
>>> My mother made many of our clothes and preferred to present them
>>> when they were ready instead of saving them for Christmas.
>>>
>>> At least one of my sisters did the same for her children.
>>>

>> My grandmas often made us stuff for Christmas. One knitted and
>> crocheted.
>> The other one tried that and failed miserably. She made us all slippers
>> for
>> Christmas one year. Oh how I hated those knitted slippers! They were
>> rough
>> to wear and yet slippery on a wood floor. When they got dirty, my mom
>> washed them out in the bathtub and hung them to dry. We all watched in
>> horror as they stretched to monstrous proportions. My dad's were the
>> worst.
>> His grew to about 2 feet long. They never shrank back.
>>
>> That grandma did sew though and one year she made me a pretty green
>> velvet
>> dress with a white bib and a black tie around the waist.

> My mother and at least one sister also knitted, so rather thick sweaters
> and the like weren't in short supply. My mother also taught me how to
> knit, but I never did much with it. I don't remember seeing any
> crocheting among the family.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Robert Miles > wrote:
> : On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : > > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
> seems,
> : >> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway,
> lol, Lee
> : >
> : > I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They
> kept
> : > eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
>
> : For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing season
> : by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
> : garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a way
> : past that row, though.
>
> : You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
>
> : Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without noticing
> : them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.
>
> You can always put out those shallow dishes of beer for the slugs. they
> love it, fall in and drown, but drown happy, at least:-)

But then I'd need shallow dishes because I have none. And beer which I have
none of either.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Robert Miles > wrote:
: > : On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > : > > wrote in message
: > : > ...
: > : >> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it
: > seems,
: > : >> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway,
: > lol, Lee
: > : >
[...]

Try jar tops, make shallow dises out of aluminum foil, old saucers, just
us a little imagination.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Robert Miles > wrote:
> : > : On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : > : > > wrote in message
> : > : > ...
> : > : >> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully
> it
> : > seems,
> : > : >> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff
> anyway,
> : > lol, Lee
> : > : >
> : > : > I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here.
> They
> : > kept
> : > : > eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
> : >
> : > : For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing
> season
> : > : by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
> : > : garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a
> way
> : > : past that row, though.
> : >
> : > : You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
> : >
> : > : Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without
> noticing
> : > : them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.
> : >
> : > You can always put out those shallow dishes of beer for the slugs.
> they
> : > love it, fall in and drown, but drown happy, at least:-)
>
> : But then I'd need shallow dishes because I have none. And beer which I
> have
> : none of either.
>
> Try jar tops, make shallow dises out of aluminum foil, old saucers, just
> us a little imagination.

I have no jar tops. The only thing I buy in jars is pasta sauce and we
don't use very much of that. Not even one jar a month. I guess we do use
some salsa too but even less of that. I do not keep jars and lids sitting
around because I have no place to store them. I do have canning jars and
lids but those lids won't work. Anyway... I am through with the gardening.
Our weather here has been such that it would be just futile. We really got
no hot weather at all here this past year and I had the heat on even into
June. The year before that we did get a couple of weeks of hot weather but
it came very late in the season.

My friend lives on a really old farm. She does a big garden every year.
She is a SAHM now because she has a big family and is due again to give
birth quite soon. She has no choice but to try to garden to feed the
family. This last season the only thing that did well for her was the
zucchini. And they got far too much of that. But nothing else really grew
because of the overly cool weather and too much rain at the wrong time of
the season.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches if you
see those, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Robert Miles > wrote:
> : > : On 12/21/2011 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : > : > > wrote in message
> : > : > ...
> : > : >> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully
> it
> : > seems,
> : > : >> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff
> anyway,
> : > lol, Lee
> : > : >
> : > : > I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here.
> They
> : > kept
> : > : > eating it all and I had to keep replanting.
> : >
> : > : For the wild animals, you might keep them out most of the growing
> season
> : > : by planting a row of extremely hot peppers around the edge of your
> : > : garden. Note that then they get hungry enough, they'll work out a
> way
> : > : past that row, though.
> : >
> : > : You'll need a gate blocking each gap in the row.
> : >
> : > : Slugs are small enough to crawl past the pepper plants without
> noticing
> : > : them, so this is unlikely to do much about them.
> : >
> : > You can always put out those shallow dishes of beer for the slugs.
> they
> : > love it, fall in and drown, but drown happy, at least:-)
>
> : But then I'd need shallow dishes because I have none. And beer which I
> have
> : none of either.
>
> Try jar tops, make shallow dises out of aluminum foil, old saucers, just
> us a little imagination.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches if
> you see those, Lee

Ew! I don't want to see those. I do have cat food cans but they are the
tiny ones. It's the beer I won't buy. That stuff is expensive!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

apple juice and cheap wine will work for most bugs, i hate roaches because i
can smell them, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> cat food cans work a treat for catching slugs, and wine fo r roaches if
>> you see those, Lee

> Ew! I don't want to see those. I do have cat food cans but they are the
> tiny ones. It's the beer I won't buy. That stuff is expensive!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> apple juice and cheap wine will work for most bugs, i hate roaches because
> i can smell them, Lee

Ew.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes my grandfather taught me to smell most inscets, mice rats and snakes,
which have differing snakes depending on type... it is rough when we go out
with friends and go to a resto and i refuse to eat, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> apple juice and cheap wine will work for most bugs, i hate roaches
>> because i can smell them, Lee

> Ew.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> yes my grandfather taught me to smell most inscets, mice rats and snakes,
> which have differing snakes depending on type... it is rough when we go
> out with friends and go to a resto and i refuse to eat, Lee

Ick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can gaurentee the price of the resto in no way correlates with the roaches
present, i mean realistically there are generally some because of the type
of buisness and type of building, but sometimes it is overwhelming, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> yes my grandfather taught me to smell most inscets, mice rats and snakes,
>> which have differing snakes depending on type... it is rough when we go
>> out with friends and go to a resto and i refuse to eat, Lee

> Ick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I forgot the shirt or summer weight item that i could pair with
something that still fit me, or that i was sewing

i remember being SO happy the Easter Bunny brought me a white shirt WITH
CUFFS that i didn't have to sew!

kate

On 12/21/2011 3:25 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> that was how it seems until this first year at the school... but until then
> it was underwear/socks at christmas from sears, one pair of shoes for school
> and one for gym, at the beginning of school, one new outfit for easter, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 11:19 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes and
>>> school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i went to
>>> school, Lee

>> underwear and socks - Christmas
>> shoes and 1 outfit - back to school
>> another outfit - Birthday
>> anything missed - Christmas LOL
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 12:34 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
>>> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes
>>> and cheap carbs)
>>>
>>> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home
>>> buyer who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT
>>> be very excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>>>
>>> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are
>>> usually cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than
>>> double that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that
>>> i know aren't buying these things
>>>
>>> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>>>

>>> kate

>> I have a neighbor who is a single mother. She's from South America but
>> served in our Navy. The way she talks she is very poor and very cheap.
>> But she does own her own house. And in this area you just can't do
>> that if you're poor. Granted she did buy it before we bought ours so
>> the price would have been cheaper.
>>
>> She is a staunch low carber. They eat a ton of chicken and steak. She
>> told me that her daughter who is Angela's age eats a huge steak for
>> breakfast every morning. Steak is not something we can buy often. When
>> I do buy them they are not huge and I usually get the thin sliced for
>> Sukyaki.
>>
>> But what really gets me is all the fruit she lets go to waste. They
>> have apple and pear trees and also grape vines. She doesn't pick or
>> eat any of it. Perhaps because she *is* a low carber. But you'd think
>> she would at least offer it up to the neighbors or something. That's
>> what I did when I

> I'd be brazen and ask if I could take it off her hands No hide, no
> Xmas box!

Jan, as a person who's yard had raspberries, saskatoons, crab apples and
much more, those were just the 'there every year' plants........... i
could not GIVE AWAY those fruits

when people stopped by and asked, i got them ladders and bags and......
whatever they needed!

lol

kate (yes, i picked a lot of it myself, but more than i could eat!)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 3:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I give my unwanted stuff to Value Village. The money they make is used to
> help the blind. I don't really know in what capacity. That reminds me. I
> was going to take Angela there yesterday and I forgot to go! Not that we
> feasibly could have. Traffic was so bad it took far longer to do what we
> did do. But I do have a couple of coupons that need to be used by Dec.
> 31st.

Perhaps it's time to look at a financial statement put out by Value
Village. If they are a NPO, then those records ARE public. Full
disclosure.

Ya, i buy a few things there (books that i'm looking for often appear
there).

I give to the local street ministry trying to help the homeless. To
women's shelters where these women & children would be homeless without
said shelter, and, of course, the ER dept........... you would not
believe how many clothes they need to offer folks to be attired to go
home (they may not match, but a top is a top and pants are pants!)
(please add some new in the wrap undies and socks!)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 12:23 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>
>> this often means a couple weeks of the 'emergency supplies' that all
>> of us.......... well........... we are REALLY happy to get back to
>> REAL food, FRESH food, instead of canned anything (can i take that
>> case of canned green beans to the food bank? or do you think i'll get
>> caught?)

> Speaking of foods banks.. big sign in the Library at the moment saying
> that they will waive any overdue fees this month if you bring in some
> canned food for charity With a few underlines under the word
> "canned", lol.

radio ads right now are emphasising canned fruits!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 3:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i take it by spells, i will do fine for a few days/weeks then something sets
> me off, last thing was when w e were in the laundry room and project manager
> fired up the hot water heater and showed me and dh how it worked... the
> sound of it starting was like a mini flash back, and i almost wet myself...
> i hadn't even thought about the sounds of the fire for months but that
> really bothered me. on the other hand i made myself stand there while it
> got started and when dh asked me wht was wrong i said remembering, and i was
> able to stand there without totally melting down, Lee

oh Lee

this just brought back a flood of 'separated memories' for me........
none of which are very comfortable

you are strong! **hugs**

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 12:26 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>>
>> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
>> CostCo here
>>
>> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for
>> camping and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now

> And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
> myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
> bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
> other bounced out.

bwha ha ha ha

now i'm gonna have to test that, you know that!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 12:29 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 12:24 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
>>> kid,
>>> lol, Lee

>> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon
>> candy, deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>>
>> HEAVEN!!!
>>
>> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
>> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
>> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing
>> how many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada, hand
>> warmer, etc LOL)

> laser torches...

OMG, yes, grin

didn't we have a night on chat playing with those and talking about them?

lol

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like to think so but some days i wonder... but i made it through dh going
to our savings and collecting part of the money for the final payment on the
house, tomorrow we will go and get the cashiers check and then make the
payment tomorrow or thurs depending on how work goes, and we will have at
least enough for the toilet paper left, lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 3:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i take it by spells, i will do fine for a few days/weeks then something
>> sets
>> me off, last thing was when w e were in the laundry room and project
>> manager
>> fired up the hot water heater and showed me and dh how it worked... the
>> sound of it starting was like a mini flash back, and i almost wet
>> myself...
>> i hadn't even thought about the sounds of the fire for months but that
>> really bothered me. on the other hand i made myself stand there while it
>> got started and when dh asked me wht was wrong i said remembering, and i
>> was
>> able to stand there without totally melting down, Lee

> oh Lee
>
> this just brought back a flood of 'separated memories' for me........ none
> of which are very comfortable
>
> you are strong! **hugs**
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 12:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I was soooo envious of my friend's jeans and jackets. His mom made most all
> of his clothing. She didn't use a pattern. She had him sketch out what he
> wanted and she would make it. He later became a fashion designer. Not
> famous but he did once make a costume for an Olympic ice skater who lived in
> this area. His dad also sold antiques so he had all sorts of interesting
> clothing.

While in University, my brother would give me at least 2 hours notice to
make him XXX costume for YYY event that night

He bitched at one design that wasn't what i wanted at all, but i was
given 1 hours notice that night........... i blew and told him, if you
don't want $h*t, give me 72 hours NOTICE MINIMUM (i was working full
time and these events were always Fri night......... that gave me 6
hours max to design the outfit..with final fitting adjustments right
before the event)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 12:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
>> lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee

> I gave up on it. Too many slugs and wild animals around here. They kept
> eating it all and I had to keep replanting.

Marigolds

Pie pans with beer in them on the OUTSIDE perimeter of the garden (they
drown)

Misc trivia........ slugs that are moved 2 blocks from their home will
find themselves back home..........

who knew!?!?!?

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 8:18 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]

> around because I have no place to store them. I do have canning jars and
> lids but those lids won't work. Anyway... I am through with the gardening.
> Our weather here has been such that it would be just futile. We really got
> no hot weather at all here this past year and I had the heat on even into
> June. The year before that we did get a couple of weeks of hot weather but
> it came very late in the season.
>
> My friend lives on a really old farm. She does a big garden every year.
> She is a SAHM now because she has a big family and is due again to give
> birth quite soon. She has no choice but to try to garden to feed the
> family. This last season the only thing that did well for her was the
> zucchini. And they got far too much of that. But nothing else really grew
> because of the overly cool weather and too much rain at the wrong time of

let's see

12 foil tart dishes
Value Village
top of the pickle jar?

nah, don't worry

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> yes my grandfather taught me to smell most inscets, mice rats and snakes,
> which have differing snakes depending on type... it is rough when we go out
> with friends and go to a resto and i refuse to eat, Lee

you stay there?

i walk out!
LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 2:37 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
> for your gardening attempts?
>
> I can no longer squat to the ground safely, or I'd be trying some
> gardening too.

stool? step stool? above ground gardening?

mom and dad did raised beds (1.5 feet) and used a gardening stool that
rolled to the next location

they had 2 rows of 4 foot wide planters that stretched 150 ft down the
side of the pie lot...... on the > to the planter rows were fruit
bushes/tree/yada....... the car porch/deck was the grape arbour, the
peach tree grew RIGHT beside the house, and pear, apple, cherry trees
thru the perimeter of the large pie shaped lot

kate (i loved visiting them mid/late Aug LOL)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if its just me and dh, we leave, but most people refuse to beleive i can
smell all that stuff, and when its business related i daren't... so dh and
i both get hot coffee and nothing else, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> yes my grandfather taught me to smell most inscets, mice rats and snakes,
>> which have differing snakes depending on type... it is rough when we go
>> out
>> with friends and go to a resto and i refuse to eat, Lee

> you stay there?
>
> i walk out!
> LOL
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 3:13 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i was actually thinking of getting the plant that makes metformen, sp, lol,
> Lee

French?? Lilac?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 4:17 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Mine are in small containers Robert. I can't have anything bigger anyway
> as it would be beyond my ability to use them.
>
> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> I've read of some herb plants that spread like weeds if you don't
>> confine the area around them enough. Perhaps those would be best
>> for your gardening attempts?

hubby collects the 5 gallon pails at work and brings them home (they are
headed to landfill if he doesn't)

they are great at containing the 'weed herbs' that are more than willing
to ........... completely take over every inch they have root access to!!

he's also taken to raised gardening as he's seen the production
quadruple for the tomatoes!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i read the name a couple of weeks ago and you could put a gun to my head and
i wouldn't know... but i thought if i could grow that it would be sorta
symbolic, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 3:13 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i was actually thinking of getting the plant that makes metformen, sp,
>> lol,
>> Lee

> French?? Lilac?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i can gaurentee the price of the resto in no way correlates with the
>roaches present, i mean realistically there are generally some because of
>the type of buisness and type of building, but sometimes it is
>overwhelming, Lee

I am recalling one of the worst meals of my life at a place in Nescopeck,
PA. The place was crawling with some sort of beetles. That's what I was
told they were. My SIL assured me they were not cockroaches. But still...
I was worried that they would be in the food. My husband, BIL and SIL were
all laughing at me. Told me to get over it and just eat. It was very late
by then. Like 10:00 pm. My SIL used to drive me nuts. She would say
something like, "Give me just a minute. Just a MINUTE!" I soon learned
that I needed to give her a good three hours at least. Going to dinner with
her always meant it would be many hours past the time she told you it would
be. So by this point I was very hungry. And I had nothing back at home
that I could eat. Home being my BIL and SIL's cabin.

I can't remember the particulars of this trip. Once their fridge broke
down. The stove did work but it was a royal pain to turn on. It was a gas
stove and my BIL had fixed it in such a way that you had to crawl underneath
to get the gas on. He was afraid his daughter might accidentally turn it
on. She was a toddler then. There was a microwave. But... There were
also mice and/or rats living there. They told me there were. So I couldn't
keep anything out on the counter. And there was no pantry. It was just a
little bitty cabin. And I tried not to eat in it.

So I squinched my eyes as best I could, sat on the edge of my seat and
ordered the ravioli. That's a common dish in that part of PA and it is
usually frozen stuff that has been boiled and sauce added. I figured there
would be less chance of getting bugs in there than there would be with
something like a pizza.

I wound up eating very little of that meal. Bugs were crawling over me,
over my purse, onto the seat, the table and the wall next to me.

And then every time I tried to pick up a piece of ravioli on my fork it
would splash back down onto my plate. And they had put an extreme amount of
sauce on that plate. The ravioli would fall and splash sauce onto me. I
remember quite well what I was wearing that day. It was a pink, blue and
yellow tie dyed top. And then it had red splashes all over it. And there
was no washer or dryer at the cabin.

When we got home I spent several hours washing that top out in the sink
using dish soap and shampoo, scrubbing until I got all of the stains out.
Then I hung it in the shower to dry.

I just do not see how people can sit and eat with bugs all around them. And
I do not see how that place stayed in business. There were tons of people
eating in there. But you could see the bugs crawling all over the screen
door as you entered. *shudder*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>I forgot the shirt or summer weight item that i could pair with something
>that still fit me, or that i was sewing
>
> i remember being SO happy the Easter Bunny brought me a white shirt WITH
> CUFFS that i didn't have to sew!
>
> kate

In the 5th grade I had a teal colored shirt with cuffs that needed
cufflinks. I didn't ever have any of my own cufflinks. I borrowed my
dad's. That was my favorite shirt! But I think I outgrew it fairly
quickly. I don't remember having it very long.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when i can smell them you don't see them, i was just trainned... and i can
also tell if its one of those situations where they are present but treated
for, or if they are present and nobody cares, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i can gaurentee the price of the resto in no way correlates with the
>>roaches present, i mean realistically there are generally some because of
>>the type of buisness and type of building, but sometimes it is
>>overwhelming, Lee

> I am recalling one of the worst meals of my life at a place in Nescopeck,
> PA. The place was crawling with some sort of beetles. That's what I was
> told they were. My SIL assured me they were not cockroaches. But
> still... I was worried that they would be in the food. My husband, BIL
> and SIL were all laughing at me. Told me to get over it and just eat. It
> was very late by then. Like 10:00 pm. My SIL used to drive me nuts. She
> would say something like, "Give me just a minute. Just a MINUTE!" I soon
> learned that I needed to give her a good three hours at least. Going to
> dinner with her always meant it would be many hours past the time she told
> you it would be. So by this point I was very hungry. And I had nothing
> back at home that I could eat. Home being my BIL and SIL's cabin.
>
> I can't remember the particulars of this trip. Once their fridge broke
> down. The stove did work but it was a royal pain to turn on. It was a
> gas stove and my BIL had fixed it in such a way that you had to crawl
> underneath to get the gas on. He was afraid his daughter might
> accidentally turn it on. She was a toddler then. There was a microwave.
> But... There were also mice and/or rats living there. They told me there
> were. So I couldn't keep anything out on the counter. And there was no
> pantry. It was just a little bitty cabin. And I tried not to eat in it.
>
> So I squinched my eyes as best I could, sat on the edge of my seat and
> ordered the ravioli. That's a common dish in that part of PA and it is
> usually frozen stuff that has been boiled and sauce added. I figured
> there would be less chance of getting bugs in there than there would be
> with something like a pizza.
>
> I wound up eating very little of that meal. Bugs were crawling over me,
> over my purse, onto the seat, the table and the wall next to me.
>
> And then every time I tried to pick up a piece of ravioli on my fork it
> would splash back down onto my plate. And they had put an extreme amount
> of sauce on that plate. The ravioli would fall and splash sauce onto me.
> I remember quite well what I was wearing that day. It was a pink, blue
> and yellow tie dyed top. And then it had red splashes all over it. And
> there was no washer or dryer at the cabin.
>
> When we got home I spent several hours washing that top out in the sink
> using dish soap and shampoo, scrubbing until I got all of the stains out.
> Then I hung it in the shower to dry.
>
> I just do not see how people can sit and eat with bugs all around them.
> And I do not see how that place stayed in business. There were tons of
> people eating in there. But you could see the bugs crawling all over the
> screen door as you entered. *shudder*

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 21-12-2014 12:46 AM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 07:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 12:08 AM