Old 15-03-2009, 05:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Uses for shallots

I never used to buy them. Then some years ago I ordered some products from
Omaha steaks and there was a recipe for Steak Dianne. It called for
shallots, so I bought some to make it. My husband ate the steaks, but
didn't rave about them so I never bought them or shallots again.

But recently I have gotten shallots many times in my PCA box. Once, I
chopped them and put them in a vegetable soup. It was nice. I have used
them raw in salads. Also nice. Then the other night I made some nachos for
myself because I didn't like the food I made for Angela and my husband. I
would normally put green onions on nachos or some chopped white onion if I
didn't have green. The only onion I had was a yellow one. It was huge and
I didn't feel like cutting it up. So I chopped up a shallot. It was very
good on the nachos. Very sweet.

I've gotten to where I prefer white onions for most things. I put them in
almost everything. Can I substitute the shallots to use them up?

Old 15-03-2009, 06:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote in message
shallots are a sweet onion garlic flavore so use em anywhere youd like
that flavor.

I did read that but to me they don't taste like garlic. I can't stand
garlic.

Old 15-03-2009, 06:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I put them in anything where you might use onions. Scrambld eggs, omeletts,
frittatasd, quiche, salads - especially bean salad. Also the things you have
already mentioned. Fried rice, chinese food..

Old 15-03-2009, 06:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I put them in anything where you might use onions. Scrambld eggs, omeletts,
frittatasd, quiche, salads - especially bean salad. Also the things you
have already mentioned. Fried rice, chinese food..

Okay. Thanks!

Old 15-03-2009, 11:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

french cooking uses them in everything..lol

i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
yummy things

one awsome use is a secret ingredient in mac n cheese

KROM

Old 16-03-2009, 12:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
french cooking uses them in everything..lol

i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
yummy things

I had a piece in the fridge that needed using or losing. I minced it and
sauteed it in sweet butter and used it with some gently steamed haricot
vertes (skinny little green beans) It was very tasty and low carb.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Old 16-03-2009, 12:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote in message
french cooking uses them in everything..lol

i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
yummy things

one awsome use is a secret ingredient in mac n cheese

Hmmm... I used to put white onion in mac and cheese when I made it. I no
longer make it because of the food allergies, but I don't think that kind of
mac and cheese would appeal to a kid. Angela loves green onions but is not
so fond of other kinds.

Old 16-03-2009, 01:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
krom wrote:
french cooking uses them in everything..lol

i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
yummy things

I had a piece in the fridge that needed using or losing. I minced it and
sauteed it in sweet butter and used it with some gently steamed haricot
vertes (skinny little green beans) It was very tasty and low carb.

I didn't know those were in season. I will have to look for them. We like
to eat them raw.

Old 16-03-2009, 09:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i love shallots and butter over broccoli or spinach.

one of the best things i make is fry a couple slices bacon and cook the
shallots in the bacon fat and crumble the bacon and serve that warm over raw
spinach..yum!

KROM

Old 16-03-2009, 09:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

if you liked white onion in then youd love shallots in it.

oh and very very finely diced into mashed potatos is yummy too.

i like garlic mashed potato..well faux ones since i use cauli..but i like
shallots better in em.

KROM

"Julie Bove" wrote

Old 16-03-2009, 02:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arachive: yes

krom wrote:
if you liked white onion in then youd love shallots in it.

Julie can't eat macaroni or cheese.

oh and very very finely diced into mashed potatos is yummy too.

i like garlic mashed potato..well faux ones since i use cauli..but i like
shallots better in em.

I put Boursin in them... mmmm.

Susan
Old 16-03-2009, 09:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

ooh wusdat?

a cheese?

KROM

"Susan" wrote in message
x-no-arachive: yes

Old 17-03-2009, 06:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote in message
yum!

i had a sams club mebership..never used it nuff to justify the cost.

I've never been to Sam's Club. Never lived near one. Was a member of a
similar place that was next door to the K Mart where I used to work. They
offered free memberships for certain circumstances. In my case, the credit
union I belong to was enough to get me the free membership. I was single at
the time and rarely was able to shop there because I couldn't use things in
that large of a quantity. Did spend a lot the first time I went there on
Christmas presents, but they never had stuff like that again. They were
only open for a couple of years. They were good when I needed to make food
for a potluck at work. I used to buy olives for pasta salad there for
cheap! Had I had to pay for a membership, I wouldn't have bothered.

I put off getting a Costco membership for years. Now I go there at least
twice a month. I get most of my paper products there. Have to buy one ply
tissue for one of my toilets so can't get that there. Other things I get on
a regular basis are sliced apples, baby carrots, celery, potatoes, peppers,
mushrooms, lunch meat, chicken breasts, ground beef, cheese, hummus,
toothpaste and other toiletries, some canned goods, nuts and other snacks,
bottled water and juice. Quite a bit of what they sell does come in
quantities more than what we can reasonably use. And we don't have a lot of
storage space. But just buying those things really does save me a lot of
money and I have to buy a lot less at the regular grocery stores.

Old 17-03-2009, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
Both Tucson Costco's are to far away ......My Son and his wife use it
though and have gotten good buys on allot of stuff...not just food. When
it is time for a big flat screen TV , we might have them get it at
Costco....we'll have to see who has the better deal We had Costco steak
one time we visited...not to bad...and they were pretty thick too.

I got lucky. There is one right near one of Angela's dance studios. So I
am by it once a week anyway.

shallots sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 11-07-2015 02:32 AM
Shallots! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 20 25-09-2014 05:31 AM
Shallots Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 6 12-06-2010 09:37 PM
Shallots Katra General Cooking 1 29-09-2003 07:57 AM