Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Uses for shallots

I never used to buy them. Then some years ago I ordered some products from
Omaha steaks and there was a recipe for Steak Dianne. It called for
shallots, so I bought some to make it. My husband ate the steaks, but
didn't rave about them so I never bought them or shallots again.

But recently I have gotten shallots many times in my PCA box. Once, I
chopped them and put them in a vegetable soup. It was nice. I have used
them raw in salads. Also nice. Then the other night I made some nachos for
myself because I didn't like the food I made for Angela and my husband. I
would normally put green onions on nachos or some chopped white onion if I
didn't have green. The only onion I had was a yellow one. It was huge and
I didn't feel like cutting it up. So I chopped up a shallot. It was very
good on the nachos. Very sweet.

I've gotten to where I prefer white onions for most things. I put them in
almost everything. Can I substitute the shallots to use them up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

shallots are a sweet onion garlic flavore so use em anywhere youd like that
flavor.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I never used to buy them. Then some years ago I ordered some products from
>Omaha steaks and there was a recipe for Steak Dianne. It called for
>shallots, so I bought some to make it. My husband ate the steaks, but
>didn't rave about them so I never bought them or shallots again.
>
> But recently I have gotten shallots many times in my PCA box. Once, I
> chopped them and put them in a vegetable soup. It was nice. I have used
> them raw in salads. Also nice. Then the other night I made some nachos
> for myself because I didn't like the food I made for Angela and my
> husband. I would normally put green onions on nachos or some chopped
> white onion if I didn't have green. The only onion I had was a yellow
> one. It was huge and I didn't feel like cutting it up. So I chopped up a
> shallot. It was very good on the nachos. Very sweet.
>
> I've gotten to where I prefer white onions for most things. I put them in
> almost everything. Can I substitute the shallots to use them up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> shallots are a sweet onion garlic flavore so use em anywhere youd like
> that flavor.

I did read that but to me they don't taste like garlic. I can't stand
garlic.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I put them in anything where you might use onions. Scrambld eggs, omeletts,
frittatasd, quiche, salads - especially bean salad. Also the things you have
already mentioned. Fried rice, chinese food..

Julie Bove wrote:
> I never used to buy them. Then some years ago I ordered some
> products from Omaha steaks and there was a recipe for Steak Dianne. It
> called for shallots, so I bought some to make it. My husband ate
> the steaks, but didn't rave about them so I never bought them or
> shallots again.
> But recently I have gotten shallots many times in my PCA box. Once, I
> chopped them and put them in a vegetable soup. It was nice. I have
> used them raw in salads. Also nice. Then the other night I made
> some nachos for myself because I didn't like the food I made for
> Angela and my husband. I would normally put green onions on nachos
> or some chopped white onion if I didn't have green. The only onion I
> had was a yellow one. It was huge and I didn't feel like cutting it
> up. So I chopped up a shallot. It was very good on the nachos. Very
> sweet.
> I've gotten to where I prefer white onions for most things. I put
> them in almost everything. Can I substitute the shallots to use them
> up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I put them in anything where you might use onions. Scrambld eggs, omeletts,
>frittatasd, quiche, salads - especially bean salad. Also the things you
>have already mentioned. Fried rice, chinese food..

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

french cooking uses them in everything..lol

i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
yummy things

one awsome use is a secret ingredient in mac n cheese

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I put them in anything where you might use onions. Scrambld eggs, omeletts,
>frittatasd, quiche, salads - especially bean salad. Also the things you
>have already mentioned. Fried rice, chinese food..
>
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I never used to buy them. Then some years ago I ordered some
>> products from Omaha steaks and there was a recipe for Steak Dianne. It
>> called for shallots, so I bought some to make it. My husband ate
>> the steaks, but didn't rave about them so I never bought them or
>> shallots again.
>> But recently I have gotten shallots many times in my PCA box. Once, I
>> chopped them and put them in a vegetable soup. It was nice. I have
>> used them raw in salads. Also nice. Then the other night I made
>> some nachos for myself because I didn't like the food I made for
>> Angela and my husband. I would normally put green onions on nachos
>> or some chopped white onion if I didn't have green. The only onion I
>> had was a yellow one. It was huge and I didn't feel like cutting it
>> up. So I chopped up a shallot. It was very good on the nachos. Very
>> sweet.
>> I've gotten to where I prefer white onions for most things. I put
>> them in almost everything. Can I substitute the shallots to use them
>> up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> french cooking uses them in everything..lol
>
> i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
> yummy things

I had a piece in the fridge that needed using or losing. I minced it and
sauteed it in sweet butter and used it with some gently steamed haricot
vertes (skinny little green beans) It was very tasty and low carb.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> french cooking uses them in everything..lol
>
> i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
> yummy things
>
> one awsome use is a secret ingredient in mac n cheese

Hmmm... I used to put white onion in mac and cheese when I made it. I no
longer make it because of the food allergies, but I don't think that kind of
mac and cheese would appeal to a kid. Angela loves green onions but is not
so fond of other kinds.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> french cooking uses them in everything..lol
>>
>> i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
>> yummy things
>>

> I had a piece in the fridge that needed using or losing. I minced it and
> sauteed it in sweet butter and used it with some gently steamed haricot
> vertes (skinny little green beans) It was very tasty and low carb.

I didn't know those were in season. I will have to look for them. We like
to eat them raw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i love shallots and butter over broccoli or spinach.

one of the best things i make is fry a couple slices bacon and cook the
shallots in the bacon fat and crumble the bacon and serve that warm over raw
spinach..yum!

KROM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> french cooking uses them in everything..lol
>>
>> i like them in salda dressing...stuffing..as a simple pan sauce etc..very
>> yummy things
>>

> I had a piece in the fridge that needed using or losing. I minced it and
> sauteed it in sweet butter and used it with some gently steamed haricot
> vertes (skinny little green beans) It was very tasty and low carb.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south-Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if you liked white onion in then youd love shallots in it.

oh and very very finely diced into mashed potatos is yummy too.

i like garlic mashed potato..well faux ones since i use cauli..but i like
shallots better in em.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote
> Hmmm... I used to put white onion in mac and cheese when I made it. I no
> longer make it because of the food allergies, but I don't think that kind
> of mac and cheese would appeal to a kid. Angela loves green onions but is
> not so fond of other kinds.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arachive: yes

krom wrote:
> if you liked white onion in then youd love shallots in it.

Julie can't eat macaroni or cheese.

> oh and very very finely diced into mashed potatos is yummy too.
>
> i like garlic mashed potato..well faux ones since i use cauli..but i like
> shallots better in em.

I put Boursin in them... mmmm.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ooh wusdat?

a cheese?

KROM

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-arachive: yes
>
> krom wrote:
>> if you liked white onion in then youd love shallots in it.

> Julie can't eat macaroni or cheese.
>

>> oh and very very finely diced into mashed potatos is yummy too.
>>
>> i like garlic mashed potato..well faux ones since i use cauli..but i like
>> shallots better in em.

> I put Boursin in them... mmmm.
>
> Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> yum!
>
> i had a sams club mebership..never used it nuff to justify the cost.

I've never been to Sam's Club. Never lived near one. Was a member of a
similar place that was next door to the K Mart where I used to work. They
offered free memberships for certain circumstances. In my case, the credit
union I belong to was enough to get me the free membership. I was single at
the time and rarely was able to shop there because I couldn't use things in
that large of a quantity. Did spend a lot the first time I went there on
Christmas presents, but they never had stuff like that again. They were
only open for a couple of years. They were good when I needed to make food
for a potluck at work. I used to buy olives for pasta salad there for
cheap! Had I had to pay for a membership, I wouldn't have bothered.

I put off getting a Costco membership for years. Now I go there at least
twice a month. I get most of my paper products there. Have to buy one ply
tissue for one of my toilets so can't get that there. Other things I get on
a regular basis are sliced apples, baby carrots, celery, potatoes, peppers,
mushrooms, lunch meat, chicken breasts, ground beef, cheese, hummus,
toothpaste and other toiletries, some canned goods, nuts and other snacks,
bottled water and juice. Quite a bit of what they sell does come in
quantities more than what we can reasonably use. And we don't have a lot of
storage space. But just buying those things really does save me a lot of
money and I have to buy a lot less at the regular grocery stores.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> Both Tucson Costco's are to far away ......My Son and his wife use it
> though and have gotten good buys on allot of stuff...not just food. When
> it is time for a big flat screen TV , we might have them get it at
> Costco....we'll have to see who has the better deal We had Costco steak
> one time we visited...not to bad...and they were pretty thick too.

I got lucky. There is one right near one of Angela's dance studios. So I
am by it once a week anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my problem mostly was they never sent any mail to me at home reminding me of
when my dies were so id forget decide to shop and the 100 dollar item
becomes 160..lol

It is also way across town to a area id never otherwise go..i have a walmart
and target etc within 2 miles of me and the club stores are a hours drive
away.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> yum!
>>
>> i had a sams club mebership..never used it nuff to justify the cost.

> I've never been to Sam's Club. Never lived near one. Was a member of a
> similar place that was next door to the K Mart where I used to work. They
> offered free memberships for certain circumstances. In my case, the
> credit union I belong to was enough to get me the free membership. I was
> single at the time and rarely was able to shop there because I couldn't
> use things in that large of a quantity. Did spend a lot the first time I
> went there on Christmas presents, but they never had stuff like that
> again. They were only open for a couple of years. They were good when I
> needed to make food for a potluck at work. I used to buy olives for pasta
> salad there for cheap! Had I had to pay for a membership, I wouldn't have
> bothered.
>
> I put off getting a Costco membership for years. Now I go there at least
> twice a month. I get most of my paper products there. Have to buy one
> ply tissue for one of my toilets so can't get that there. Other things I
> get on a regular basis are sliced apples, baby carrots, celery, potatoes,
> peppers, mushrooms, lunch meat, chicken breasts, ground beef, cheese,
> hummus, toothpaste and other toiletries, some canned goods, nuts and other
> snacks, bottled water and juice. Quite a bit of what they sell does come
> in quantities more than what we can reasonably use. And we don't have a
> lot of storage space. But just buying those things really does save me a
> lot of money and I have to buy a lot less at the regular grocery stores.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> I won't set foot in Walmart stores, but I'm sure you can save on
> household supplies. I just don't think they have food there, IIRC, that
> I'd want to buy.
>
> Susan

Actually, the Super WalMarts have pretty good prices on some
shelf-stable groceries. Some states don't have the Super WalMarts with
the groceries.

I don't buy meat there because they inject everything with salt. Their
produce does not stay fresh very long, either. I believe it is because
of their logistics with the distribution center being far from our area
and everything having to keep longer in a warehouse.

WalMart has good buys on fabrics, hardware and housewares. I buy their
tee shirts for about $6 each and they last me at least 3 years before
they shrink too much. They have a "White Stag" label in them, though I
believe it is a special line White Stag makes for WalMart along. In any
event, $6 tee shirts that last 3 years is a pretty good bargain.

Susan, you remind me of my daughter. One year we gave her a K-Mart gift
certificate for Chanukah. She was either a Senior in High School or a
Freshman in college and she never redeemed the certificate because one
of her friends might have seen her going into K-Mart.

A bargain is a bargain. I'll shop at outlet centers and fancy department
stores to find one. My DH says he will have my tombstone inscribed: "she
never paid retail" and I know someone who will give him a discount on
the tombstone. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
>I will buy packaged food at Wal-Mart but not fresh food...their produce is
>awful . I have bought steak there and it is tough. I don't shop there often
>but it's not because of all the reasons allot of people don't , they just
>don't have what I want

Jacquie the food at Sam's is totally different than that at Walmart. I
know it is the same company, but the quality is vastly different. The
steaks are top notch, by the way, unlike Walmart.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Susan wrote:
>
>> I won't set foot in Walmart stores, but I'm sure you can save on
>> household supplies. I just don't think they have food there, IIRC, that
>> I'd want to buy.
>>
>> Susan

> Actually, the Super WalMarts have pretty good prices on some shelf-stable
> groceries. Some states don't have the Super WalMarts with the groceries.
>
> I don't buy meat there because they inject everything with salt. Their
> produce does not stay fresh very long, either. I believe it is because of
> their logistics with the distribution center being far from our area and
> everything having to keep longer in a warehouse.
>
> WalMart has good buys on fabrics, hardware and housewares. I buy their tee
> shirts for about $6 each and they last me at least 3 years before they
> shrink too much. They have a "White Stag" label in them, though I believe
> it is a special line White Stag makes for WalMart along. In any event, $6
> tee shirts that last 3 years is a pretty good bargain.
>
> Susan, you remind me of my daughter. One year we gave her a K-Mart gift
> certificate for Chanukah. She was either a Senior in High School or a
> Freshman in college and she never redeemed the certificate because one of
> her friends might have seen her going into K-Mart.
>
> A bargain is a bargain. I'll shop at outlet centers and fancy department
> stores to find one. My DH says he will have my tombstone inscribed: "she
> never paid retail" and I know someone who will give him a discount on the
> tombstone. :-)
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south-Texas

The Wal-Marts here and in Tucson said they were going to start buying
produce locally....I don't know if they have or not...will have to check it
out the next time I go. I got my last prescriptions there, because the
pharmacy I usually go to didn't have one of my pills in stock and I was out.
I liked it when Wal-Mart carried JMS jeans in plus petites....they don't
have them now , I don't care for the White Stag fit. When I noticed the pick
of JMS was disappearing we went to a big Wal-Mart in Phoenix ,when we
visited my son in Scottsdale. I bought a whole bunch of the different
colors....they are a bit worn now

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Susan wrote:
>
>> I won't set foot in Walmart stores, but I'm sure you can save on
>> household supplies. I just don't think they have food there, IIRC, that
>> I'd want to buy.
>>
>> Susan

> Actually, the Super WalMarts have pretty good prices on some shelf-stable
> groceries. Some states don't have the Super WalMarts with the groceries.
>
> I don't buy meat there because they inject everything with salt. Their
> produce does not stay fresh very long, either. I believe it is because of
> their logistics with the distribution center being far from our area and
> everything having to keep longer in a warehouse.
>
> WalMart has good buys on fabrics, hardware and housewares. I buy their tee
> shirts for about $6 each and they last me at least 3 years before they
> shrink too much. They have a "White Stag" label in them, though I believe
> it is a special line White Stag makes for WalMart along. In any event, $6
> tee shirts that last 3 years is a pretty good bargain.
>
> Susan, you remind me of my daughter. One year we gave her a K-Mart gift
> certificate for Chanukah. She was either a Senior in High School or a
> Freshman in college and she never redeemed the certificate because one of
> her friends might have seen her going into K-Mart.
>
> A bargain is a bargain. I'll shop at outlet centers and fancy department
> stores to find one. My DH says he will have my tombstone inscribed: "she
> never paid retail" and I know someone who will give him a discount on the
> tombstone. :-)

I was not used to shopping at Walmart at one point in my life because we
simply did not have them here. I had been in them a few times in PA where
my in-laws live.

Then during a cross country move, I was starved for fresh produce. I looked
in the phone book for the nearest grocery store and it was Walmart. I went
wild in there, buying diet soda, bottled water, all sorts of fruits and
vegetables that could be washed and eaten as is or cut up with a plastic
knife. I also bought some cooked boiled eggs and cheese. This was in the
days before we knew of our food allergies. It was also in the days before
organic produce was common.

I don't know about the meat. I have heard bad things about it, but heard
the same said for meats in some of our local markets.

The only meat I've ever bought and had an issue with is from Albertson's,
both here and in CA. Their store brand packaged ground beef has an odd
flavor and smell to it while cooking. I once got a beef roast and it
smelled vile when cooking. As a child, my mom refused to buy their meat but
she didn't say why. People have told me if you get the meat from their
butcher counter instead of the prepackaged kind, it is fine.

They now sell grass fed organic beef. If I do buy any beef there at all, it
is that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Jacquie the food at Sam's is totally different than that at Walmart. I
> know it is the same company, but the quality is vastly different. The
> steaks are top notch, by the way, unlike Walmart.

We buy our steaks at Sam's Club. We don't have Costco (though there was
some talk recently of one coming to McAllen about 40 miles away). The
meat is excellent quality and nothing is injected in it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Evelyn wrote:
>
> > Jacquie the food at Sam's is totally different than that at Walmart. I
> > know it is the same company, but the quality is vastly different. The
> > steaks are top notch, by the way, unlike Walmart.
> >

> We buy our steaks at Sam's Club. We don't have Costco (though there was
> some talk recently of one coming to McAllen about 40 miles away). The
> meat is excellent quality and nothing is injected in it.

Speaking of which, I just had a horrible run of migraines after giving
in and buying some regular ground beef at Shaws (rather than grass fed
beef via mail or whatever). I ate it in different meals three days in a
row, twice yesterday, with smaller migraines the previous two days and a
massive horrible one last night that robbed me of sleep.

Does anyone know if Shaws adds anything to their ground beef?

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> You don't have a Costco? Hard without a car, unless you live a short walk
> away, though. My daughter has one two blocks from her and uses a granny
> cart and frequent trips. Since we're paying her expenses while she's in
> school, we bought the membership and it costs less to feed her.
> She loves lamb and she's a very ambitious cook.

Apparently they are not in all areas. I don't think they have them in PA.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> I will go have a look as I have to vote in a state election tomorrow and
> that butcher is not much further.

Strewth are we letting youz immigrants vote too?

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> I will go have a look as I have to vote in a state election tomorrow
>> and that butcher is not much further.
>>

> Strewth are we letting youz immigrants vote too?

Sure are

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
>
>> You don't have a Costco? Hard without a car, unless you live a short walk
>> away, though. My daughter has one two blocks from her and uses a granny
>> cart and frequent trips. Since we're paying her expenses while she's in
>> school, we bought the membership and it costs less to feed her.
>> She loves lamb and she's a very ambitious cook.

> Apparently they are not in all areas. I don't think they have them in PA.

From Costco's web site:

Cranberry Township
Harrisburg
King of Prussia
Lancaster
Montgomeryville
Robinson
West Homestead

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Susan" > wrote in message
>>
>>> You don't have a Costco? Hard without a car, unless you live a short
>>> walk away, though. My daughter has one two blocks from her and uses a
>>> granny cart and frequent trips. Since we're paying her expenses while
>>> she's in school, we bought the membership and it costs less to feed her.
>>> She loves lamb and she's a very ambitious cook.

>> Apparently they are not in all areas. I don't think they have them in
>> PA.

> From Costco's web site:
>
> Cranberry Township
> Harrisburg
> King of Prussia
> Lancaster
> Montgomeryville
> Robinson
> West Homestead

Okay. But there are none near where the people I know in PA live.

shallots sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 11-07-2015 02:32 AM
Shallots! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 20 25-09-2014 05:31 AM
Shallots Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 6 12-06-2010 09:37 PM
Shallots Katra General Cooking 1 29-09-2003 07:57 AM