Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shallots!

I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA. What
I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to peel.
Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes them even
harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were so hot and
spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the ones I get in
the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.

But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round and
plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The peel is
thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very mild. I am
assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those in the grocery
store may have been around for some time.

But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
Mild, but purple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA.
> What I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to
> peel. Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes
> them even harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were
> so hot and spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the
> ones I get in the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>
> But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round
> and plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The
> peel is thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very
> mild. I am assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those
> in the grocery store may have been around for some time.
>
> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
> I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
> Mild, but purple.

I have never been able to figure out why shallots are better or for that
matter different from onions, except for price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2014 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA.
>> What I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to
>> peel. Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes
>> them even harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were
>> so hot and spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the
>> ones I get in the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>>
>> But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round
>> and plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The
>> peel is thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very
>> mild. I am assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those
>> in the grocery store may have been around for some time.
>>
>> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
>> I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
>> Mild, but purple.

> I have never been able to figure out why shallots are better or for that
> matter different from onions, except for price.

The first time I ever bought one was for a recipe for Steak Diane that came
with the Omaha Steaks that I ordered. That was the first and last order
from them as husband wasn't particularly thrilled with the meat. I got one
of the introductory specials. Two steaks, I think two hamburger patties and
maybe some hot dogs.

Since then I have read that they are excellent on green salads. And they
usually are. I find them to be milder than onions with the exception of
those that I bought at Winco.

I also find that used in soups, they add a depth of flavor. Not sure how
else they can be used though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:45:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?

Of course! Have you never heard of banana shallot? I have never seen
it in person, but I've read about it here.
http://www.cooksinfo.com/banana-shallots

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:16:01 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

> I have never been able to figure out why shallots are better or for that
> matter different from onions, except for price.

I think they are the bulb that people who don't like real onions or
garlic prefer to use to give an aura of using them. Other than that,
I'm in your camp. I buy them from time to time, but I always end up
wondering why I bothered because I add more onion or garlic anyway.
There must be some dish they're perfect for, but I haven't found it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 9:16 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 9/23/2014 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA.
>> What I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to
>> peel. Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes
>> them even harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were
>> so hot and spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the
>> ones I get in the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>>
>> But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round
>> and plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The
>> peel is thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very
>> mild. I am assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those
>> in the grocery store may have been around for some time.
>>
>> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
>> I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
>> Mild, but purple.

> I have never been able to figure out why shallots are better or for that
> matter different from onions, except for price.

When a recipe calls for shallots, I usually use the white part of green
onions (scallions).

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:45:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA. What
>I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to peel.
>Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes them even
>harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were so hot and
>spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the ones I get in
>the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.

Just go and ****ing kill yourself, will ya?
WTF has 'problems' with shallots?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:45:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?

> Of course! Have you never heard of banana shallot? I have never seen
> it in person, but I've read about it here.
> http://www.cooksinfo.com/banana-shallots

Those are what I bought at Winco! Same package and all. I don't remember
that name though. I will have to look when I go there tomorrow. If I go
there tomorrow. Have to get Jetta in for her dental work so... If she
behaves and lets us put her in the carrier without too much fuss, I'll go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David E. Ross" > wrote in message

> When a recipe calls for shallots, I usually use the white part of green
> onions (scallions).

Because you like scallions better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA.
> What I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to
> peel. Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes
> them even harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were
> so hot and spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the
> ones I get in the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>
> But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round
> and plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The
> peel is thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very
> mild. I am assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those in
> the grocery store may have been around for some time.
>
> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
> I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
> Mild, but purple.

Yes there are various kinds, google them.

I use them in dishes such as Burgundy beef where they remain whole. I can
get small ones but also large ones. I buy the large when I want to chop
them up. Oh yes, I also pickle the small ones.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:45:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA. What
>I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to peel.
>Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes them even
>harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were so hot and
>spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the ones I get in
>the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>
>But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round and
>plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The peel is
>thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very mild. I am
>assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those in the grocery
>store may have been around for some time.
>
>But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
>I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
>Mild, but purple.

Just as there are many varietals of onion the same is true of shallot.
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/sha...Fa_m7AodyX4Acg
http://plant-certifie-echalote.org/e..._jardinier.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:37:17 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> There must be some dish they're perfect for, but I haven't found it.

How about moule mariniere?

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:45:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?

> > Of course! Have you never heard of banana shallot? I have never seen
> > it in person, but I've read about it here.
> > http://www.cooksinfo.com/banana-shallots
> >

> Those are what I bought at Winco! Same package and all. I don't remember
> that name though. I will have to look when I go there tomorrow. If I go
> there tomorrow. Have to get Jetta in for her dental work so... If she
> behaves and lets us put her in the carrier without too much fuss, I'll go.

so you will leave your cat unattended in a possibly overheating car? I
hope we see the story of the helpful person who shatters your car window
to rescue the poor thing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:37:17 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:16:01 -0400, Travis McGee >
> wrote:
>

> > I have never been able to figure out why shallots are better or for that
> > matter different from onions, except for price.

> I think they are the bulb that people who don't like real onions or
> garlic prefer to use to give an aura of using them. Other than that,
> I'm in your camp. I buy them from time to time, but I always end up
> wondering why I bothered because I add more onion or garlic anyway.
> There must be some dish they're perfect for, but I haven't found it.

I like to use shallots in tuna and potato salad. It gives those dishes a nice mild onion flavor without the dragon breath effect the next morning. But for a grilled hamburger it's definitely a slice of onion, please.

Julie's hot shallots are due to her store not selling many of these and they don't have the turnover in their produce section of this vegetable thus they are sitting and getting older and older and hotter and hotter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA.
>> What I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to
>> peel. Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes
>> them even harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were
>> so hot and spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the
>> ones I get in the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>>
>> But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round
>> and plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The
>> peel is thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very
>> mild. I am assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those
>> in
>> the grocery store may have been around for some time.
>>
>> But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
>> I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
>> Mild, but purple.

> Yes there are various kinds, google them.
>
> I use them in dishes such as Burgundy beef where they remain whole. I can
> get small ones but also large ones. I buy the large when I want to chop
> them up. Oh yes, I also pickle the small ones.

Thanks! And I realize now that I forget to look for them at Winco. I was
so discombobulated when I walked into the produce section and realized that
at least one or two whole counters were missing. I was trying to figure out
what was no longer there but couldn't. They could now hold a dance there
though. They have enough clear floor space!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:45:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I like shallots but rarely buy them because I found them to be a PITA.
>>What
>>I find in the grocery stores are usually small, pointy and hard to peel.
>>Worse still, there are often 2-3 all grown together and that makes them
>>even
>>harder to peel. And the last ones that I bought at Winco were so hot and
>>spicy, nobody could eat them. I have also noticed that the ones I get in
>>the grocery store are usually purple on the outside.
>>
>>But I got some in my CSA package and what a difference! These are round
>>and
>>plump and a little larger than what I usually see in the store. The peel
>>is
>>thin and easy to remove. The flesh is totally white and very mild. I am
>>assuming then that these are very fresh. And perhaps those in the grocery
>>store may have been around for some time.
>>
>>But... Are there different varieties of shallots like there are onions?
>>I've been using dried ones for convenience sake but they too are purple.
>>Mild, but purple.

> Just as there are many varietals of onion the same is true of shallot.
> http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/sha...Fa_m7AodyX4Acg
> http://plant-certifie-echalote.org/e..._jardinier.php

Wow! Perhaps some ship better than others?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:37:17 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>>
>> There must be some dish they're perfect for, but I haven't found it.
>>

> How about moule mariniere?

What is that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:01:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Helpful person" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:37:17 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> There must be some dish they're perfect for, but I haven't found it.
>>>

>> How about moule mariniere?

>What is that?

Mussels

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:01:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:37:17 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> >>
> >> There must be some dish they're perfect for, but I haven't found it.
> >>

> > How about moule mariniere?

> What is that?

Mussels in a wine sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:01:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> How about moule mariniere?

>>What is that?

> Mussels

Oh. Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:01:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > How about moule mariniere?

>> What is that?

> Mussels in a wine sauce.

Okay.

shallots sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 11-07-2015 02:32 AM
Shallots Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 6 12-06-2010 09:37 PM
Uses for shallots Julie Bove Diabetic 26 21-03-2009 04:07 AM
Shallots Katra General Cooking 1 29-09-2003 07:57 AM