Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shallots

We have been taste testing shallots vs. onions, red onions and green
onions. These tastings have been with fresh and sauteed. Can you
legitimately taste the difference if you didn't know what you were
tasting? I have difficulty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> We have been taste testing shallots vs. onions, red onions and green
> onions. These tastings have been with fresh and sauteed. Can you
> legitimately taste the difference if you didn't know what you were
> tasting? I have difficulty.

One reason shallots are often preferred over onions is that they fall apart
more easily when cooked, so they're easier to incorporate into a sauce.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 4:38*am, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
> We have been taste testing shallots vs. onions, red onions and green
> onions. These tastings have been with fresh and sauteed. * *Can you
> legitimately taste the difference if you didn't know what you were
> tasting? * *I have difficulty.

You mean you sautee them by itself? I never tried that. But, using
shallots versus onion in Asian cooking makes quite difference in
flavor. May be we're used to using shallots. If fact, back home, I
grew up knowing the English name onion for what's actually shallots.
In US, I learned that shallots was the English name for what we called
onion. In another word, my family never bought or used what's called
onions or red onions.

Since my family is not Chinese - there are a lot of Chinese there, we
don't use green onion heavily. The common use was to sprinkle it
(along with thinly sliced and washed shallots) over a noodle dish
eaten with sauce made of chicken and coconut milk. This dish is a
version of a dish originated in Chiang Mai, Thailand and is available
in Thai restaurants in US.

The cuisine in the northern part of the country not far from China
probably uses green onion more commonly. I am not too familir with
those dishes, not even the noodle ones which are popular in the big
cities because these were commonly sold in smaller restaurants (not
roadside), not in finer restaurants and my family didn't eat in those
places. These days, I think those dishes have become more prevalently
available in finer restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 11:25*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 4:38*am, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
>
> > We have been taste testing shallots vs. onions, red onions and green
> > onions. These tastings have been with fresh and sauteed. * *Can you
> > legitimately taste the difference if you didn't know what you were
> > tasting? * *I have difficulty.

> You mean you sautee them by itself? I never tried that. But, using
> shallots versus onion in Asian cooking makes quite difference in
> flavor. *May be we're used to using shallots. If fact, back home, I
> grew up knowing the English name onion for what's actually shallots.
> In US, I learned that shallots was the English name for what we called
> onion. In another word, my family never bought or used what's called
> onions or red onions.
>
> Since my family is not Chinese - there are a lot of Chinese there, we
> don't use green onion heavily. *The common use was to sprinkle it
> (along with thinly sliced and washed shallots) over a noodle dish
> eaten with sauce made of chicken and coconut milk. This dish is a
> version of a dish originated in Chiang Mai, Thailand and is available
> in Thai restaurants in US.
>
> The cuisine in the northern part of the country not far from China
> probably uses green onion more commonly. *I am not too familir with
> those dishes, not even the noodle ones which are popular in the big
> cities because *these were commonly sold in smaller restaurants (not
> roadside), not in finer restaurants and my family didn't eat in those
> places. These days, I think those dishes have become more prevalently
> available in finer restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 11:25*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 4:38*am, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
>
> > We have been taste testing shallots vs. onions, red onions and green
> > onions. These tastings have been with fresh and sauteed. * *Can you
> > legitimately taste the difference if you didn't know what you were
> > tasting? * *I have difficulty.

> You mean you sautee them by itself? I never tried that. But, using
> shallots versus onion in Asian cooking makes quite difference in
> flavor. *May be we're used to using shallots. If fact, back home, I
> grew up knowing the English name onion for what's actually shallots.
> In US, I learned that shallots was the English name for what we called
> onion. In another word, my family never bought or used what's called
> onions or red onions.
>
> Since my family is not Chinese - there are a lot of Chinese there, we
> don't use green onion heavily. *The common use was to sprinkle it
> (along with thinly sliced and washed shallots) over a noodle dish
> eaten with sauce made of chicken and coconut milk. This dish is a
> version of a dish originated in Chiang Mai, Thailand and is available
> in Thai restaurants in US.
>
> The cuisine in the northern part of the country not far from China
> probably uses green onion more commonly. *I am not too familir with
> those dishes, not even the noodle ones which are popular in the big
> cities because *these were commonly sold in smaller restaurants (not
> roadside), not in finer restaurants and my family didn't eat in those
> places. These days, I think those dishes have become more prevalently
> available in finer restaurants.

Thanks...your insight provides value!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 1:34*pm, " > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 7:38 am, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
>
> > We have been taste testing shallots vs. onions, red onions and green
> > onions. These tastings have been with fresh and sauteed. Can you
> > legitimately taste the difference if you didn't know what you were
> > tasting? I have difficulty.

> The only way I like onions is when they're "cooked to death". *Even
> then sometimes I can still taste raw onion. *Shallots are sweeter and
> have a more subtle onion flavor with maybe a hint of garlic. *Shallots
> are better when you just want a little onion flavor as opposed to
> onions which can sometimes be overpowering in my opinion.

The best answer yet. Yes, I can tell the difference as stated above,
they're not quite so oniony tasting. But and old shallot commands
your attention! Can be very strong. Another plus is you don't have
that awful, strong onion taste/breath the next morning. Shallots are
much milder and I'm a great fan of them.

shallots sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 11-07-2015 02:32 AM
Shallots! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 20 25-09-2014 05:31 AM
Uses for shallots Julie Bove Diabetic 26 21-03-2009 04:07 AM
Shallots Katra General Cooking 1 29-09-2003 07:57 AM