Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default best pizza pan

My daughter wants to make pizza, something she actually started
doing in her pre-school years, and she wants a pizza pan. I am
not quite sure what characteristics I should look for.

Also, she has a gas stove. I have not used one for... about 45
years. She is also unfamiliar with them. What position should
the oven rack be in for pizza?

Thanks.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

?
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> My daughter wants to make pizza, something she actually started doing in
> her pre-school years, and she wants a pizza pan. I am not quite sure what
> characteristics I should look for.

A stone would be better, IMO.

> Also, she has a gas stove. I have not used one for... about 45 years.
> She is also unfamiliar with them. What position should the oven rack be
> in for pizza?

Horizontal.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

>A stone would be better, IMO.

The latest rage cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
plate heated as high as you oven will go, and then positioned right
under the broiler.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Was: best pizza pan -- "Modernist Cooking"

>A stone would be better, IMO.

The latest hot (pi) cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
plate heated as high as your oven will go, and then positioned right
under the broiler. Pop the pizza on, and it cooks in 1-2 minutes at
temperatures comparable to the hottest wood-fired pizza oven.

See the Wall Street Journal from last weekend: "Mr. Myhrvold's Weird
(Kitchen) Science." The book is entitled "Modernist Cooking" -- five
volumes, 2,400 pages, by Nathan Myhrvold. Only $625. 8

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...S=myhrvold%27s

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:57:06 -0500, wrote:

>See the Wall Street Journal from last weekend: "Mr. Myhrvold's Weird
>(Kitchen) Science." The book is entitled "Modernist Cooking" -- five
>volumes, 2,400 pages, by Nathan Myhrvold. Only $625. 8

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...S=myhrvold%27s

Sorry -- six volumes.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> ?
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> My daughter wants to make pizza, something she actually started doing
>> in her pre-school years, and she wants a pizza pan. I am not quite
>> sure what characteristics I should look for.

> A stone would be better, IMO.

Thanks. I'll see if she wants to go that route.

>> Also, she has a gas stove. I have not used one for... about 45 years.
>> She is also unfamiliar with them. What position should the oven rack
>> be in for pizza?

> Horizontal.

Very funny. :-)
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> See the Wall Street Journal from last weekend: "Mr. Myhrvold's Weird
>> (Kitchen) Science." The book is entitled "Modernist Cooking" -- five
>> volumes, 2,400 pages, by Nathan Myhrvold. Only $625. 8

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...S=myhrvold%27s

> Sorry -- six volumes.
>
> -- Larry

Oh, THAT! I saw that and am just going to run out and get it.
No, wait! Not just one set but several, so my friends can have it
too. NOT!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:37:43 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>I might also just put the second rack 3-4 inches under the top one-
>and cook the pizza on my pizza stone on the lower rack- with the
>broiler going to give *some* top heat.

I sort of do this now -- I use two pizza stones, about four inches
apart. Pre-heat for an hour to 550+, cook on the lower stone. Works
great.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:44:20 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>> The latest rage cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
>> plate heated as high as you oven will go, and then positioned right
>> under the broiler.
>>
>> -- Larry

>Have those plates hit the cooking stores?

I think they're stuck trying to figure out how to get Rachel Ray's
signature onto them.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:01:14 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>>I sort of do this now -- I use two pizza stones, about four inches
>>apart. Pre-heat for an hour to 550+, cook on the lower stone. Works
>>great.

>You do that on the bottom of the oven? [lowest rack position]

Yeah, simply because that's where I keep one stone all the time, and
I'm too lazy to move it. Don't know if it would work better at the top
of the oven or not.

>Ever use an infrared thermometer to see what the temp of that bottom
>stone is?

No, but I'll check both stones next time.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:37:43 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
>>I might also just put the second rack 3-4 inches under the top one-
>>and cook the pizza on my pizza stone on the lower rack- with the
>>broiler going to give *some* top heat.

> I sort of do this now -- I use two pizza stones, about four inches
> apart. Pre-heat for an hour to 550+, cook on the lower stone. Works
> great.
>
> -- Larry

Great idea. Spray with very fine mist when the pizza goes in. You'll have
duplicated a baker's oven. I mist my pizza routinely.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> >A stone would be better, IMO.

> The latest rage cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
> plate heated as high as you oven will go, and then positioned right
> under the broiler.
>
> -- Larry

It's very important when you get this to check your oven temp. Some methane
burning ovens won't heat to 550F, the minimally good pizza temp.

If it's lowish I think the "metal stone" would be a good idea. Cast iron
would be better than steel. Still if your oven can hit 550F I'd go with
stone. I like the double stone idea. I may have a go at it.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> My daughter wants to make pizza, something she actually started doing in
> her pre-school years, and she wants a pizza pan. I am not quite sure what
> characteristics I should look for.
>
> Also, she has a gas stove. I have not used one for... about 45 years.
> She is also unfamiliar with them. What position should the oven rack be
> in for pizza?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Jean B.>

I've used a hefty 16" round stone for years and swear by it. I leave it on
the lower rack all the time.
1. You need 16", at least. It must be a hefty stone, not a light wimpy one.
It has to hold heat.
2. If you're going to try metal, I'd vote for cast iron, though you do have
to keep it seasoned in some way to prevent rust.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Jean B." > wrote:
wrote:

>> The latest hot (pi) cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
>> plate heated as high as your oven will go, and then positioned right
>> under the broiler. Pop the pizza on, and it cooks in 1-2 minutes at
>> temperatures comparable to the hottest wood-fired pizza oven.

Very interesting article.

How do folks think this would work with a store-bought frozen pizza? (Yeah,
I know it isn't gourmet but the convenience factor is worth something for a
routine meal.)

Art
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Arthur Shapiro > wrote:

>>> The latest hot (pi) cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
>>> plate heated as high as your oven will go, and then positioned right
>>> under the broiler. Pop the pizza on, and it cooks in 1-2 minutes at
>>> temperatures comparable to the hottest wood-fired pizza oven.

>Very interesting article.

>How do folks think this would work with a store-bought frozen pizza? (Yeah,
>I know it isn't gourmet but the convenience factor is worth something for a
>routine meal.)

I'd say there is no reason to do this with frozen pizza -- it's already
baked.

Steve

>Art

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:45:02 -0800, "Kent" >
wrote:

>> The latest rage cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
>> plate heated as high as you oven will go, and then positioned right
>> under the broiler.

>If it's lowish I think the "metal stone" would be a good idea. Cast iron
>would be better than steel. Still if your oven can hit 550F I'd go with
>stone. I like the double stone idea. I may have a go at it.

Good thought. I have my mother's Welsh bakestone -- cast iron 3/4 inch
thick, about 16 inches in diameter. Think I'll try that.

I routinely keep two large rectangular bakestones in the oven -- one
on the bottom of the oven (which has a hidden heating element) and one
on the lowest of three racks.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Arthur Shapiro" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Jean B." >

>>> The latest hot (pi) cooking research recommends a 1/4-inch thick steel
>>> plate heated as high as your oven will go, and then positioned right
>>> under the broiler. Pop the pizza on, and it cooks in 1-2 minutes at
>>> temperatures comparable to the hottest wood-fired pizza oven.

> Very interesting article.
>
> How do folks think this would work with a store-bought frozen pizza?
> (Yeah,
> I know it isn't gourmet but the convenience factor is worth something for
> routine meal.)
>
> Art

A frozen pizza is "designed" to heatup properly on the middle rack of a
400-450F oven, depending on the brand. Anything other than that works less
well. At least that's been my experience. We don't like store bought pizza.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 15, 1:07*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> My daughter wants to make pizza, something she actually started
> doing in her pre-school years, and she wants a pizza pan. *I am
> not quite sure what characteristics I should look for.
>
> Also, she has a gas stove. *I have not used one for... about 45
> years. *She is also unfamiliar with them. *What position should
> the oven rack be in for pizza?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Jean B.

My 2 cents.....forget abt the pan. I've tried them - terrible
results. Get a decent stone and a peel. My stone is in the middle of
the oven - (electric). Use parchment paper tween dough and peel to
slide it more easily onto the stone.

Yank out the paper halfway thru the baking time. I always remove my
crust after 8 minutes, then add toppings, then put back into oven for
another 10-12 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:42:18 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Yank out the paper halfway thru the baking time. I always remove my
>crust after 8 minutes, then add toppings, then put back into oven for
>another 10-12 minutes.

At what temperature? If I left mine in the oven that long, I'd have
cinders.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:42:18 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>Yank out the paper halfway thru the baking time. I always remove my
>>crust after 8 minutes, then add toppings, then put back into oven for
>>another 10-12 minutes.

> At what temperature? If I left mine in the oven that long, I'd have
> cinders.
>
> -- Larry

So would I have cinders. We keep the stone on the bottom rack all the time.
Heat the stone for 45 minutes at maximal oven temp. Pizza is done in 7-8
minutes.

Kent

Member

i have pizza pen
it is non stick so it is so much suitable for pizza
__________________
exchange student programs
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Feb 28, 7:30*pm, wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:42:18 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> >Yank out the paper halfway thru the baking time. I always remove my
> >crust after 8 minutes, then add toppings, then put back into oven *for
> >another 10-12 minutes.

> At what temperature? If I left mine in the oven that long, I'd have
> cinders.
>
> -- Larry

About 425.