Old 11-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Matthew L. Martin

Default If I go clay ...

I think that it will be the sale configuration:

SS bands
SS grill
mosaic cart
Temperature guage

With the following:

Gas option
SS upper cooking bracket
(I'll see if I can get a 22" grill elsewhere. $89 is a bit rich
given that a 22 1/2" #7 SS main cooking grill is only $39 and I've
found a 21" grill for $13. For that price I'd get two)
SS lower drip pan bracket
SS meat hanger
Mushikamado SS double cooking grid
SS grill scraper
As much extruded charcoal as they can fit.

No one mentioned the side tables. Given that it takes two hands (at
least!) to open one of these, where do you put your beer////utensils?

Now to decide, a #7 or #9...? Then, what tile?

Matthew (or and HDTV)

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Old 11-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Dave Bugg

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

No one mentioned the side tables. Given that it takes two hands (at
least!) to open one of these, where do you put your beer////utensils?

Matthew, I have one of those plastic utility tables from Costco that I
placed next to the Kamado.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:16 PM
James Emanuel

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote in message
I think that it will be the sale configuration:

SS bands
SS grill
mosaic cart
Temperature guage

Good price in my opinion for the end of summer sale

With the following:

Gas option

Good choice, includes the lumpsaver. You might want to get the standard
firebox and draft door also as an extra, these would not be included if you
buy the gas option.

SS upper cooking bracket
(I'll see if I can get a 22" grill elsewhere. $89 is a bit rich
given that a 22 1/2" #7 SS main cooking grill is only $39 and I've
found a 21" grill for $13. For that price I'd get two)

Actually the upper grill consists of an 18" grill and a grill stand. The
$39 for the SS main grill is the UPGRADE price. Off the shelf for that
grill is $69.

SS lower drip pan bracket

Yes

SS meat hanger

I don't have this and don't miss it.

Mushikamado SS double cooking grid

I don't have, don't need

SS grill scraper

Ditto

As much extruded charcoal as they can fit.

I got a free sample of the K charcoal recently at the cookoff in Sacto. I
like it, but find it's kind of expensive compared to the Lazzari lump at
about $12.00 / 40# delivered (pallet load) in S.F. east bay.

No one mentioned the side tables. Given that it takes two hands (at
least!) to open one of these, where do you put your beer////utensils?

It (K7) doesn't take two hands to open. on mine, the lid opens easily with
one hand, and stays up by itself, the set screws on the lid props aren't
needed. I have heard from some that the K9 does need the prop screws to
stay open. I do have one side table, like it, sometimes wish I had two. My
only complaint about mine is that it kind of looks like it's sagging (the
fit isn't perfect).

I would also highly recommend a pizza stone/heat deflector (15" dia), either
Kamado's or otherwise. I also use a 12" square concrete paving stone as a
heat deflector when I am using the pizza stone.

Now to decide, a #7 or #9...? Then, what tile?

It's pretty rare that I require something bigger than my K7. Saw a K9 at
the cookoff. They are huge. My K7 easily does a whole brisket and 2-3
butts. Obviously, my opinion on tile would not mean a thing to you, but do
think about how it would look in your yard 25 years from now. i.e. avoid
"fad" colors

Matthew (or and HDTV)

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Old 11-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Jack Curry

Matthew,

I got my #7 on the same sale two years ago and added the upper grill, lower
drip pan bracket and gas option. I love everything I got, including the
lumpsaver plus that comes with the gas option. For $100, you'll never start
a fire faster or easier than with the gas and I even use it to start
low/slows.
The upper grill is vital and with it you can cook a huge amount of meat all
at once. Maybe even as much as on a ECBX2.
I passed on the meat hanger and mushikamado and have no regrets. The side
tables are nice, but a plastic lawn table works fine for me.
Regardless of the options you choose, you'll love a Kamado.

Jack Curry

Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:16:23 GMT, "James Emanuel"
wrote:

I would also highly recommend a pizza stone/heat deflector (15" dia), either
Kamado's or otherwise. I also use a 12" square concrete paving stone as a
heat deflector when I am using the pizza stone.

Hmmm. You might want to reconsider that concrete paving stone. I seem
to recall that concrete--under the right circumstances--can turn into
shrapnel when heated.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Old 11-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:40:00 -0400, "Matthew L. Martin"
wrote:

SS upper cooking bracket
(I'll see if I can get a 22" grill elsewhere. $89 is a bit rich
given that a 22 1/2" #7 SS main cooking grill is only $39 and I've
found a 21" grill for $13. For that price I'd get two)

You really don't need the more expensive grill. I'd guess that all
you'll mostly be doing is parking big chunks of meat on the upper
grill.

No one mentioned the side tables. Given that it takes two hands (at
least!) to open one of these, where do you put your beer////utensils?

I made a low bench out of some clay pots and a slab of stone. Pics
he

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

or more directly:

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/roast.htm

Now to decide, a #7 or #9...? Then, what tile?

A 7 is pretty big, but then again nothing succeeds like excess. For
pics of a 7 on delivery day, showing the crate, go he

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq/bbq.htm

To get a sense of its size, note that the cedar fence pickets are 6'
and the paving stones are 8" W X 12" L.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Radar

wrote:

[...]

Just as one more data point, I have one side table and I wish I had
gotten two. They come in handy and they look nice. They aren't
essential by any means, but I do like the way the tile matches the
rest of the Kamado. To each his own.

I put a cast iron cauldron in the hole in the mushikamado grill and
rest it on the lower bracket. My cauldron is heavy and will bend a
grill if it isn't supported in some way, but the lower bracket
provides plenty of support. With this setup I can barbecue a lot of
pork shoulders on the grill and still have room for some beans or
maybe some roasted vegetables in the dutch over.

Go with the #9. Nobody ever wished they had a smaller grill.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Matthew L. Martin

Radar wrote:

Go with the #9. Nobody ever wished they had a smaller grill.

Actually, the fellow who let me take a look at his #5 says he should
have gotten a #1. But he also has a _very_ large Viking gasser.

Matthew (leaning towards a #9.... or is that a #7)

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Old 11-09-2004, 10:54 PM
BOB

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
I think that it will be the sale configuration:

SS bands
SS grill
mosaic cart
Temperature gauge

Great!

With the following:

Gas option

*I* think you'll be glad that you bought it.
For $15 more, add the regular draft door. Just trust me on this. ;-)

SS upper cooking bracket

Yes, definitely.

(I'll see if I can get a 22" grill elsewhere. $89 is a bit rich
given that a 22 1/2" #7 SS main cooking grill is only $39 and I've
found a 21" grill for $13. For that price I'd get two)

That does sound high, BUT remember that the $39 is the upgrade from the regular
grill, not the complete price.
I didn't order the upper grill with my #5, decided to use one I bought at
Lowes/HomeDepot/wherever. I recently ordered a Kamado upper grill along with
the meat hanger (and a meat hanger for my #3) I like the fit of the Kamado
grill much better. YMMV of course.

SS lower drip pan bracket

Definite YES!

SS meat hanger

I think you would have ordered one eventually. I did.

Mushikamado SS double cooking grid

Can't comment. They don't make one for anything smaller than the #7, but I
like the idea. I welder friend keeps promising to build me one for my #5, maybe
I should take him some ribs, pulled pork and a brisket...

SS grill scraper

Yes. I like mine. It fits and scrapes *all* of my Kamado made grills, but
*not* the after market grills.
Monroe has 9,725 (at last count) uses for one. Backscratcher comes to mind.

As much extruded charcoal as they can fit.

LOL, you've already experienced the stuff. I think you'll like it even better
in your new ceramic.
30 boxes is the minimum pallet (when NOT ordered with your Kamado). Get a group
and really save on shipping. I'm working on the SECOND order coming to Orlando.
..

No one mentioned the side tables. Given that it takes two hands (at
least!) to open one of these, where do you put your beer////utensils?

Not an option for my #5, so I never considered them.

Now to decide, a #7 or #9...?

OK, you want one of the big guys. Think this way...a #7 (I've cooked 6 of the
"Sam's" butts on my #5) for your big one, then a #3 (or #5?) so you can cook
different things at the same time, at different temperatures. I do realize that
you've already got a yard full of cookers, it's just a suggestion. ;-)

Then, what tile?

I have the Terra Blue. I'm happy with it. My brother and sister-in-law have
the Cobalt Blue. They're happy with it. Cobalt Blue is the most popular color.
They've run out in the past, causing delays (but that could happen with any
color). I'm guessing that you've already been through the Kamado website and
forum looking at all the colors. What's in your yard to accent, match and or
complement?

Matthew (or and HDTV)

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Old 11-09-2004, 10:54 PM
BOB

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
[...]

Clay product Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 20 08-07-2009 02:33 AM
Clay pot smokers No Name Barbecue 9 28-04-2008 07:08 PM
zisha clay Barky Bark Tea 2 20-01-2006 01:36 AM
Can this clay pot be saved? Sara Cooking Equipment 9 14-10-2005 02:19 AM
I might go clay ... Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 24 17-09-2004 03:36 AM