Sara

Default Can this clay pot be saved?

Hi,

While cleaning out an elderly relative's basement, I found an old clay
roaster. It's unglazed except for the area where the food would sit.
Because the roaster had sat in the basement for at least 20 years, with
the dirt, spiders, mice and other assorted critters, I attempted to
clean it up using Lysol and detergent. Now that I am researching how
to use the pot, I realize I may have done exactly the wrong thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to resurrect this pot? I was
thinking of soaking it in water then heating it up in the oven, maybe a
half-dozen times or so, to attempt to leach the Lysol and soap out of
it. Would this work or is the pot a lost cause?

Thanks,

Sara

Matthew L. Martin

Sara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While cleaning out an elderly relative's basement, I found an old clay
> roaster. It's unglazed except for the area where the food would sit.
> Because the roaster had sat in the basement for at least 20 years, with
> the dirt, spiders, mice and other assorted critters, I attempted to
> clean it up using Lysol and detergent. Now that I am researching how
> to use the pot, I realize I may have done exactly the wrong thing.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to resurrect this pot? I was
> thinking of soaking it in water then heating it up in the oven, maybe a
> half-dozen times or so, to attempt to leach the Lysol and soap out of
> it. Would this work or is the pot a lost cause?

Do you have a self cleaning oven? If so, put it through a cleaning
cycle. If it survives, there will be no living thing left on it and all
volatiles will have been driven off.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Bert Hyman

In ups.com "Sara"
> wrote:

> While cleaning out an elderly relative's basement, I found an old clay
> roaster. It's unglazed except for the area where the food would sit.
> Because the roaster had sat in the basement for at least 20 years, with
> the dirt, spiders, mice and other assorted critters, I attempted to
> clean it up using Lysol and detergent. Now that I am researching how
> to use the pot, I realize I may have done exactly the wrong thing.

Don't despair; they're still made.

The sort with the glazed bottom are Schlemmertopf; those that are
completely unglazed are Romertopf.

We have several Schlemmertopf roasters in different sizes and like them a
lot.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
DawnK

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> In ups.com "Sara"
> > wrote:
>
>> While cleaning out an elderly relative's basement, I found an old clay
>> roaster. It's unglazed except for the area where the food would sit.
>> Because the roaster had sat in the basement for at least 20 years, with
>> the dirt, spiders, mice and other assorted critters, I attempted to
>> clean it up using Lysol and detergent. Now that I am researching how
>> to use the pot, I realize I may have done exactly the wrong thing.

> Don't despair; they're still made.
>
> The sort with the glazed bottom are Schlemmertopf; those that are
> completely unglazed are Romertopf.
>
> We have several Schlemmertopf roasters in different sizes and like them a
> lot.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

My sister has a Sclemmertopf roaster and just LOVES it! I hope you can
ressurect it!

dawn

Edwin Pawlowski

>> While cleaning out an elderly relative's basement, I found an old clay
>> roaster. It's unglazed except for the area where the food would sit.
>> Because the roaster had sat in the basement for at least 20 years, with
>> the dirt, spiders, mice and other assorted critters, I attempted to
>> clean it up using Lysol and detergent. Now that I am researching how
>> to use the pot, I realize I may have done exactly the wrong thing.

Clay is porous. It absorbs mouse pee and stuff. If you use it, please
don't invite me for dinner.

Sara

Thanks Matthew, I will give that a try.

Sara

Sara

Thanks Matthew, I will give that a try.

Sara

Sara

Umm, actually, that's exactly the problem I am trying to solve, and why
I posted the question.

Bert Hyman

In oups.com "Sara"
> wrote:

> Umm, actually, that's exactly the problem I am trying to solve, and why
> I posted the question.

I'd toss it and get another.

Really.

You'll never trust it.

You'll always wonder.

It will haunt you.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Oct 2005 03:59:01p, Sara wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> Thanks Matthew, I will give that a try.
>
> Sara

Years ago I bought a number of pieces of old pottern pots, pie plates, etc.,
all of questionable history. I put them through a self-cleaning cycle in my
oven and they came out looking virtually like new, spottless, and odor free.
After that I put them through the dishwasher, and I've been using them on a
regular basis since.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg