A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Welcome to FoodBanter.com forums which provide access to the finest food and drink related newsgroups.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most newsgroup discussions and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics to the food related newsgroups, communicate privately with other FoodBanter.com members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Food and Cooking » General Cooking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)
Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

Chuck wrote:
I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


It went bad before you opened it. awful, awful stuff. You're better off
using garlic powder.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
-Baruch Spinoza

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
is another theory which states that this has already happened."
-Douglas Adams
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

In article ,
sarah bennett wrote:

Chuck wrote:
I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


It went bad before you opened it. awful, awful stuff. You're better off
using garlic powder.

--

saerah


I agree..... ;-)

While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
seasoning meat during frying or grilling.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?


OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
seasoning meat during frying or grilling.


Depends which meat. I like dehy garlic on chicken and pork, not on
beef... actually I don't like any kind of garlic on beef... I like
onions on a beef roast, steak or burger but no garlic. And I much
prefer granulated to powdered, easier to sprinkle more evenly... I like
to use granulated garlic on grilled veggies... great on thick slabs of
grilled green tomatoes For dinner tonight I made braised pork chops
(6) in tomato sauce, used an entire head of fresh garlic... with a big
pot of rice (2 cups - big for me) with saffron... was lazy so added
granulated garlic, a bay leaf, a big pinch of dehy minced onion, white
pepper, Tbs butter, bit of salt, and some frozen parsley from my crop.
The rice was an afterthought just before the pork chops were done... by
then was too lazy to deal with fresh garlic and onion. Was delicious,
and have plenty left overs. My little devils aren't crazy about braised
meat... I promised them grilled next time.

Btw, this was all inspired because I did a large calzone take-out two
days ago... came with a big plastic tub of their tomato sauce... didn't
use it but didn't want to toss it either, so used it to make the pork
chops, with a large can crushed tomatoes.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

In article .com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
seasoning meat during frying or grilling.


Depends which meat. I like dehy garlic on chicken and pork, not on
beef... actually I don't like any kind of garlic on beef... I like
onions on a beef roast, steak or burger but no garlic. And I much
prefer granulated to powdered, easier to sprinkle more evenly... I like
to use granulated garlic on grilled veggies... great on thick slabs of
grilled green tomatoes For dinner tonight I made braised pork chops
(6) in tomato sauce, used an entire head of fresh garlic... with a big
pot of rice (2 cups - big for me) with saffron... was lazy so added
granulated garlic, a bay leaf, a big pinch of dehy minced onion, white
pepper, Tbs butter, bit of salt, and some frozen parsley from my crop.
The rice was an afterthought just before the pork chops were done... by
then was too lazy to deal with fresh garlic and onion. Was delicious,
and have plenty left overs. My little devils aren't crazy about braised
meat... I promised them grilled next time.


You spoil your little devils. ;-)
Mine are ok with braised, fried, grilled, or raw seems to be best.

Sounds delish'.
I don't use a LOT of garlic on beef, but will use just a smidgin of
garlic powder on a steak prior to cooking if I'm frying it.

Sauteed' onions and mushrooms in EVOO are best to top a steak IMHO.


Btw, this was all inspired because I did a large calzone take-out two
days ago... came with a big plastic tub of their tomato sauce... didn't
use it but didn't want to toss it either, so used it to make the pork
chops, with a large can crushed tomatoes.


That sounds good!
Italian pork chops....... ;-d



--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:25:03 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
sarah bennett wrote:

Chuck wrote:
I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)

It went bad before you opened it. awful, awful stuff. You're better off
using garlic powder.

--

saerah


I agree..... ;-)


Me Too.

Last time I suggested not using pre-processed garlic everybody
here jumped all over me.

I still stand this opinion whole-heartedly.

-sw (taking it one clove at a time)


I really don't trust the jarred stuff.
My housemate used to buy it, until I started doing most of the cooking.

A decent garlic press is a godsend!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

Chuck wrote:
I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


If it's refrigerated it should keep for a very long time. If it goes "off"
you'll smell the difference.

Jill


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?


jmcquown wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


If it's refrigerated it should keep for a very long time. If it goes "off"
you'll smell the difference.

Jill


This is true. I have kept it for over a month. I still use both - but
as many rfc-ers pointed out - fresh is much, much better. We have a
rather ancient garlic press, but it works or just smashing it with
a heavy knife does the trick too.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:00:14 GMT, Chuck wrote:

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.
--

Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:42:37 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:


A decent garlic press is a godsend!


I have a couple of decent garlic presses, but still prefer my knife.
--

Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:13:00 -0800, sf
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:00:14 GMT, Chuck wrote:

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.


It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
understand buying it pre-peeled.

serene
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:25:37 -0800, serene wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:13:00 -0800, sf
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:00:14 GMT, Chuck wrote:

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)


Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.


It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
understand buying it pre-peeled.

I know, I know... but at least it's closer to the real thing than that
jarred stuff.

--

Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:


Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.


I have followed this thread a bit. I detest the jarred garlic. To me it
emits a very sweet flavor which I don't much care for. Fresh garlic is so
easy to peel and dice, mince, chop if you need it, I just don't see the
need for the garlic which is jarred. I'll use garlic salt or garlic powder
if I'm out of garlic, which is seldom.


I tried garlic in a jar. I didn't like it. There are a few things that I use
garlic powder for. I saw pre peeled garlic for the first time just the other
day. I didn't see much point in getting it. It's easy enough to peel garlic.
Just break off a clove, lay a wide knife across it and press down a bit. A
section of peel comes off an d you just pull the rest off. I usually get a new
supply of garlic when I am down to 2 buds.

I have been going through a lot of garlic lately. I have been mincing it and
frying it in butter with some dried chili flakes, grated ginger and various
additives for a sauce with angel hair pasta. I use 2-3 good size cloves for two
servings.







  #14 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:


I don't either. I also don't understand the pre-sliced, diced onions in
the produce section. Seriously, they are outrageously priced and it takes
no time to dice up a whole onion.


There seems to be a growing trend toward pre cut and washed vegetables. Some
of the local grocery stores are carrying more and more packages of lettuce,
assorted lettuce and mesclum. There seems to be more and more baby carrots
and now they have trimmed green beans. There is a hefty mark-up on that stuff.



  #15 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:34:56 -0800, sf
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:25:37 -0800, serene wrote:

It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
understand buying it pre-peeled.

I know, I know... but at least it's closer to the real thing than that
jarred stuff.


Yeah, but it must be dried out from sitting around peeled, isn't it?

serene
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life can have positive value Dutch Vegan 168 23-06-2008 06:51 PM
What is the shelf life for..... dizzi Preserving 6 18-08-2004 06:13 AM
Shelf life of canned goods . . . . . darkrats Preserving 2 06-02-2004 12:36 PM
what is the shelf life of wheat bran and oat bran? john Baking 2 01-11-2003 06:13 AM
what is the shelf life of wheat bran and oat bran? john Preserving 2 01-11-2003 06:13 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2004-2014 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.