Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default How do you tell the shelf life of a kit?

Is there any easy way to tell the age of a kit and how long can they
sit on the shelf before spoiling??
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

arrassa <arrassa> wrote:

>Is there any easy way to tell the age of a kit and how long can they
>sit on the shelf before spoiling??

Kits made by RJ Spangnols have a date right under the style of wine label,

That is the date on the day it was packaged. The company states it is good for 2 years from
that date, however, white wine will start to darken after 18 mos. All juice is sealed in
nitrogen that preserves the wine for years. Then the only thing that spoils is the yeast. New
yeast such as Lalvin ec1118 yeast makes the kit like new

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I don't like to make kits that are over 12-16 months old. Lesser
number for whites, higher for reds.

As a rule the yeast package will long outlast the kit. Getting late
2008, early 2009 yeast in the kits at the moment.

Steve

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life The Wolf Preserving 3 05-05-2010 03:30 AM
Shelf life SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 64 19-12-2008 08:24 PM
shelf life k-dawg Winemaking 2 01-02-2006 05:12 PM
What is the shelf life for..... dizzi Preserving 6 18-08-2004 06:13 AM