Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
> seasoning meat during frying or grilling.

Depends which meat. I like dehy garlic on chicken and pork, not on
beef... actually I don't like any kind of garlic on beef... I like
onions on a beef roast, steak or burger but no garlic. And I much
prefer granulated to powdered, easier to sprinkle more evenly... I like
to use granulated garlic on grilled veggies... great on thick slabs of
grilled green tomatoes For dinner tonight I made braised pork chops
(6) in tomato sauce, used an entire head of fresh garlic... with a big
pot of rice (2 cups - big for me) with saffron... was lazy so added
granulated garlic, a bay leaf, a big pinch of dehy minced onion, white
pepper, Tbs butter, bit of salt, and some frozen parsley from my crop.
The rice was an afterthought just before the pork chops were done... by
then was too lazy to deal with fresh garlic and onion. Was delicious,
and have plenty left overs. My little devils aren't crazy about braised
meat... I promised them grilled next time.

Btw, this was all inspired because I did a large calzone take-out two
days ago... came with a big plastic tub of their tomato sauce... didn't
use it but didn't want to toss it either, so used it to make the pork
chops, with a large can crushed tomatoes.