Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

Old 14-02-2009, 06:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
of stuff ahead of time.

So basically, there are lots of rules about what can and can't be in the
food, and my personal preference would be stuff that's easily frozen and
reheated in the oven (I don't have a microwave, and I don't think I'll
be radioactive enough to cook the stuff with my own personal radiation. :-)

Here are the rules:

1) Salt is fine, but NOT iodized salt, so no packaged foods with salt,
and no foods that anyone else has cooked.

2) Nothing from the sea. (Fish, shellfish, seaweed, seaweed tablets,
kelp, sea salt, carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate.)

3) No dairy products or nondairy creamers.

4) No egg yolks or whole eggs.

5) No commercial baked goods.

6) No red dye #3 (#40 is fine).

7) No sulfured molasses.

8) No soy, except soy oil and soy lecithin.

9) No red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, or cowpeas.

10) No rhubarb. No potato skins.

11) No meat (they say up to 5 ounces a day, but I don't want to have to
bother counting anything or worrying about salt injections in my meat,
so I'm just gonna skip it. I don't care about meat anyway.)

12) Up to 4 servings per day of grains, cereals, pasta, and breads
without iodine-containing ingredients. No rice.

The following are fine:

* Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
maraschino cherries.
* Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
* Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
* Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
* Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
* Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
* All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
allowed ingredients.
* Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
web site, thyca.org.
* Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.

Ideas?

Serene

Old 14-02-2009, 06:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky

Serene Vannoy wrote:

[...]

Well dang, Serene! I hope everything comes out well for you - I'm
knocking on wood. Sorry I can't help during the meantime. Get well
soon.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 14-02-2009, 07:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

Well dang, Serene! I hope everything comes out well for you - I'm
knocking on wood. Sorry I can't help during the meantime. Get well
soon.

Thanks, Sky!

Serene
Old 14-02-2009, 08:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks, so
I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots of
stuff ahead of time.

Serene

If this is to go on up to 4 weeks, I think you should loosen your thing
about meat because it can be so useful in flavoring things and making them
different from yesterday's food. I would probably make some severely
reduced stocks to start and freeze them in small bits to add to dishes,,,
but that's me.

Meantime, you can make hot water pasta like orecchiette with just plain
flour and hot water-- there are lots of possible shapes, but little ears are
the easiest. In a food processor you can make eggless pasta using hard
(durum) wheat, water and a bit of olive oil.
Both of these will be delightful in vegetable preparations, but you need to
think hard about proteins, too. So I would make pasta e fagioli sometimes,
but I like that made with stock.

Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would be
safe...

You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins and greens
for calcium, do you could easily prepare these ahead of time and freeze
them, then combine them into various dishes when thawed. Spelt, spinach and
chickpeas, or wheat berries with white beans and onion dressed with olive
oil and thyme, bit of lemon.

That's what comes off the top of my italianized brain-- shall think some
more.

Old 14-02-2009, 08:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

snipped for space

Sorry to hear you've gotta go thru all this, Serene...

Ideas?

If asparagus and avocado is OK, (and hoping they are 'in season' where
you live) I found this:

http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/avoc...gus-salad.html

quote
Avocado and Asparagus Salad ingredients list:

2 lb of asparagus.
2 medium avocados.
Juice and zest of 1 lemon.
2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley.
1 tablespoon of fresh coriander.
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
½ tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
1 teaspoon of castor sugar.
1 teaspoon of fresh mint.
Salt and pepper, to taste.
Instructions for Avocado and Asparagus Salad:

Trim off the tough ends of the asparagus, then steam until just tender
and bright green.

Plunge the asparagus into cold water to halt the cooking time and drain
well. Set aside.

Peel the avocados then dice the flesh. Toss with the lemon juice and
lemon zest, then add to the asparagus.

For the dressing, whisk the white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, olive
oil, castor sugar, mint and parsley.

Add salt and pepper to taste, then pour over the asparagus.

Toss lightly, then spoon into a suitably sized starsol bowl.

Refrigerate, then serve.
/quote

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 14-02-2009, 09:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks, so
I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots of
stuff ahead of time.

Serene

If this is to go on up to 4 weeks, I think you should loosen your thing
about meat because it can be so useful in flavoring things and making them
different from yesterday's food.

I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any
need for, but thank you.

I would probably make some severely
reduced stocks to start and freeze them in small bits to add to dishes,,,
but that's me.

*nod* I might make chicken stock and freeze it, just in case I can't eat
or don't want to after my treatment. (Some people get some swelling
and/or damage that makes them not want to eat for a while.)

Meantime, you can make hot water pasta like orecchiette with just plain
flour and hot water-- there are lots of possible shapes, but little ears are
the easiest.

Oh, I would love to try that. I've made pasta before, but usually, it
had eggs in it.

In a food processor you can make eggless pasta using hard
(durum) wheat, water and a bit of olive oil.
Both of these will be delightful in vegetable preparations, but you need to
think hard about proteins, too.

No, I don't, but again, thanks. :-)

So I would make pasta e fagioli sometimes,
but I like that made with stock.

Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would be
safe...

No fish at all is the rule. I'm going to stick with that.

You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins

Potatoes have protein. Vegetables have protein. Nuts have protein. I'll
be fine, proteinwise. Even when I'm completely vegan, I eat about 60
grams of protein a day, without trying. That's well over the RDA. I
imagine I won't have much trouble this time, either, but if I do, I
guess a few weeks won't kill me.

and greens
for calcium,

And almonds, and fortified foods/supplements, yes.

do you could easily prepare these ahead of time and freeze
them, then combine them into various dishes when thawed. Spelt, spinach and
chickpeas, or wheat berries with white beans and onion dressed with olive
oil and thyme, bit of lemon.

Ooh, that sounds delicious. Thank you!

That's what comes off the top of my italianized brain-- shall think some
more.

I'm grateful to you. Thanks!

Serene
Old 14-02-2009, 09:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
Serene Vannoy wrote:

snipped for space

Sorry to hear you've gotta go thru all this, Serene...

Thanks! It could be lots worse.

Ideas?

If asparagus and avocado is OK, (and hoping they are 'in season' where
you live) I found this:

I'm a lucky person. I can get most fruits and veggies year-round.

http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/avoc...gus-salad.html

quote
Avocado and Asparagus Salad ingredients list:

Oh, that looks *delicious*. Thank you!

Serene
Old 14-02-2009, 09:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

ChattyCathy wrote:

I'm a lucky person. I can get most fruits and veggies year-round.

That's good.

http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/avoc...gus-salad.html

quote
Avocado and Asparagus Salad ingredients list:

Oh, that looks *delicious*. Thank you!

I fancy it myself g

Best of luck - and I am sure you'll get a lot more 'inspiration' from
others here too
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 14-02-2009, 09:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
for, but thank you.

But you were not sick and you ate a lot. When you are punky and eating
little, it's a bit harder to get all the combining accomplished.
I don't eat fortified foods because they don't exist in the common foods
here. Flour is just ground wheat. There is no D added to milk, etc.

You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins

Potatoes have protein. Vegetables have protein. Nuts have protein. I'll
be fine, proteinwise. Even when I'm completely vegan, I eat about 60 grams
of protein a day, without trying. That's well over the RDA. I imagine I
won't have much trouble this time, either, but if I do, I guess a few
weeks won't kill me.

That's also with you eating with a healthy appetite. I once lost a tooth to
a period of not eating adequately. I was told I was lucky I didn't do
myself more damage.

Old 14-02-2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

Best of luck - and I am sure you'll get a lot more 'inspiration' from
others here too

Yeah. Trolls and snipers notwithstanding, this is a good place to come
for cooking ideas.

I'm thinking that right before I come home, I'll ask James to roast a
big pan of veggies and put them in the fridge for me. I love cold or
reheated roasted vegetables.

And now I'm really jonesing for some roasted asparagus. :-)

Serene
Old 14-02-2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
for, but thank you.

But you were not sick and you ate a lot. When you are punky and eating
little, it's a bit harder to get all the combining accomplished.

Combining's not necessary, honest. I promise I've done my homework, but
I really am grateful for the caring and pep talk. :-)

Serene
Old 14-02-2009, 09:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Serene Vannoy wrote:

[...]

Lots of salads using the fresh ingredients on your list can fit into
your diet just fine. I am surprised though that soda is on the list of
permissible items. I guess I am wrong, but I thought most sodas had some
salt in them. You can also buy a juicing machine and make your own salt
free juices. With a food processor, you can make a variety of tasty
soups, and also sauces to go over modest amounts of pasta. You can
certainly make soups a head of time, and sauces and freeze them in
individual serving sizes. Salads are tough to make in advance, but they
are certainly easy enough to prepare as needed.

Best of luck with your treatment and with your low iodine diet.
Old 14-02-2009, 09:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
In article ,
Serene Vannoy wrote:

[...]

Salt's fine, just not iodized salt. Apparently, all US manufacturers
use uniodized salt, but I don't drink much soda anyway, so I don't plan
on stocking up.

You can also buy a juicing machine and make your own salt
free juices. With a food processor, you can make a variety of tasty
soups, and also sauces to go over modest amounts of pasta. You can
certainly make soups a head of time, and sauces and freeze them in
individual serving sizes. Salads are tough to make in advance, but they
are certainly easy enough to prepare as needed.

Good ideas, thanks!

Best of luck with your treatment and with your low iodine diet.

Thank you.

Serene
Old 14-02-2009, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
be
the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two
weeks, so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and
buy lots of stuff ahead of time.

Yikes, Serene, you've really been going through it! I'm really
sorry this happened and I hope these next few weeks fly by
for you and then you'll be all better.

nancy

Old 14-02-2009, 01:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
be the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
(LID). Ideas?

Serene

I'm very sorry to hear this. A good resource is the hospital nutritionist.
He/she can provide you with appropriate liquid supplements if you find you
have a need. Let us know how you are doing as you go along.
Janet