Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
of stuff ahead of time.

So basically, there are lots of rules about what can and can't be in the
food, and my personal preference would be stuff that's easily frozen and
reheated in the oven (I don't have a microwave, and I don't think I'll
be radioactive enough to cook the stuff with my own personal radiation. :-)

Here are the rules:

1) Salt is fine, but NOT iodized salt, so no packaged foods with salt,
and no foods that anyone else has cooked.

2) Nothing from the sea. (Fish, shellfish, seaweed, seaweed tablets,
kelp, sea salt, carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate.)

3) No dairy products or nondairy creamers.

4) No egg yolks or whole eggs.

5) No commercial baked goods.

6) No red dye #3 (#40 is fine).

7) No sulfured molasses.

8) No soy, except soy oil and soy lecithin.

9) No red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, or cowpeas.

10) No rhubarb. No potato skins.

11) No meat (they say up to 5 ounces a day, but I don't want to have to
bother counting anything or worrying about salt injections in my meat,
so I'm just gonna skip it. I don't care about meat anyway.)

12) Up to 4 servings per day of grains, cereals, pasta, and breads
without iodine-containing ingredients. No rice.

The following are fine:

* Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
maraschino cherries.
* Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
* Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
* Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
* Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
* Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
* All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
allowed ingredients.
* Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
web site, thyca.org.
* Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.

Ideas?

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
> so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
> of stuff ahead of time.
>
> So basically, there are lots of rules about what can and can't be in the
> food, and my personal preference would be stuff that's easily frozen and
> reheated in the oven (I don't have a microwave, and I don't think I'll
> be radioactive enough to cook the stuff with my own personal radiation. :-)
>
> Here are the rules:
>
> 1) Salt is fine, but NOT iodized salt, so no packaged foods with salt,
> and no foods that anyone else has cooked.
>
> 2) Nothing from the sea. (Fish, shellfish, seaweed, seaweed tablets,
> kelp, sea salt, carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate.)
>
> 3) No dairy products or nondairy creamers.
>
> 4) No egg yolks or whole eggs.
>
> 5) No commercial baked goods.
>
> 6) No red dye #3 (#40 is fine).
>
> 7) No sulfured molasses.
>
> 8) No soy, except soy oil and soy lecithin.
>
> 9) No red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, or cowpeas.
>
> 10) No rhubarb. No potato skins.
>
> 11) No meat (they say up to 5 ounces a day, but I don't want to have to
> bother counting anything or worrying about salt injections in my meat,
> so I'm just gonna skip it. I don't care about meat anyway.)
>
> 12) Up to 4 servings per day of grains, cereals, pasta, and breads
> without iodine-containing ingredients. No rice.
>
> The following are fine:
>
> * Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
> cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
> maraschino cherries.
> * Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
> salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
> pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
> * Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
> * Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
> * Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
> * Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
> * All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
> allowed ingredients.
> * Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
> web site, thyca.org.
> * Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
> non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Serene

Well dang, Serene! I hope everything comes out well for you - I'm
knocking on wood. Sorry I can't help during the meantime. Get well
soon.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Well dang, Serene! I hope everything comes out well for you - I'm
> knocking on wood. Sorry I can't help during the meantime. Get well
> soon.

Thanks, Sky!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be >
>the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the >
>Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet >
>(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no >
>exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks, so
>I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots > of
>stuff ahead of time.
>
> Serene

If this is to go on up to 4 weeks, I think you should loosen your thing
about meat because it can be so useful in flavoring things and making them
different from yesterday's food. I would probably make some severely
reduced stocks to start and freeze them in small bits to add to dishes,,,
but that's me.

Meantime, you can make hot water pasta like orecchiette with just plain
flour and hot water-- there are lots of possible shapes, but little ears are
the easiest. In a food processor you can make eggless pasta using hard
(durum) wheat, water and a bit of olive oil.
Both of these will be delightful in vegetable preparations, but you need to
think hard about proteins, too. So I would make pasta e fagioli sometimes,
but I like that made with stock.

Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would be
safe...

You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins and greens
for calcium, do you could easily prepare these ahead of time and freeze
them, then combine them into various dishes when thawed. Spelt, spinach and
chickpeas, or wheat berries with white beans and onion dressed with olive
oil and thyme, bit of lemon.

That's what comes off the top of my italianized brain-- shall think some
more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

<snipped for space

Sorry to hear you've gotta go thru all this, Serene...

> Ideas?

If asparagus and avocado is OK, (and hoping they are 'in season' where
you live) I found this:

http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/avoc...gus-salad.html

<quote>
Avocado and Asparagus Salad ingredients list:

2 lb of asparagus.
2 medium avocados.
Juice and zest of 1 lemon.
2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley.
1 tablespoon of fresh coriander.
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
½ tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
1 teaspoon of castor sugar.
1 teaspoon of fresh mint.
Salt and pepper, to taste.
Instructions for Avocado and Asparagus Salad:

Trim off the tough ends of the asparagus, then steam until just tender
and bright green.

Plunge the asparagus into cold water to halt the cooking time and drain
well. Set aside.

Peel the avocados then dice the flesh. Toss with the lemon juice and
lemon zest, then add to the asparagus.

For the dressing, whisk the white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, olive
oil, castor sugar, mint and parsley.

Add salt and pepper to taste, then pour over the asparagus.

Toss lightly, then spoon into a suitably sized starsol bowl.

Refrigerate, then serve.
</quote>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be >
>> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the >
>> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet >
>> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no >
>> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks, so
>> I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots > of
>> stuff ahead of time.
>>
>> Serene

> If this is to go on up to 4 weeks, I think you should loosen your thing
> about meat because it can be so useful in flavoring things and making them
> different from yesterday's food.

I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any
need for, but thank you.

> I would probably make some severely
> reduced stocks to start and freeze them in small bits to add to dishes,,,
> but that's me.

*nod* I might make chicken stock and freeze it, just in case I can't eat
or don't want to after my treatment. (Some people get some swelling
and/or damage that makes them not want to eat for a while.)

> Meantime, you can make hot water pasta like orecchiette with just plain
> flour and hot water-- there are lots of possible shapes, but little ears are
> the easiest.

Oh, I would love to try that. I've made pasta before, but usually, it
had eggs in it.

> In a food processor you can make eggless pasta using hard
> (durum) wheat, water and a bit of olive oil.
> Both of these will be delightful in vegetable preparations, but you need to
> think hard about proteins, too.

No, I don't, but again, thanks. :-)

> So I would make pasta e fagioli sometimes,
> but I like that made with stock.
>
> Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would be
> safe...

No fish at all is the rule. I'm going to stick with that.

> You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins

Potatoes have protein. Vegetables have protein. Nuts have protein. I'll
be fine, proteinwise. Even when I'm completely vegan, I eat about 60
grams of protein a day, without trying. That's well over the RDA. I
imagine I won't have much trouble this time, either, but if I do, I
guess a few weeks won't kill me.

> and greens
> for calcium,

And almonds, and fortified foods/supplements, yes.

> do you could easily prepare these ahead of time and freeze
> them, then combine them into various dishes when thawed. Spelt, spinach and
> chickpeas, or wheat berries with white beans and onion dressed with olive
> oil and thyme, bit of lemon.

Ooh, that sounds delicious. Thank you!

> That's what comes off the top of my italianized brain-- shall think some
> more.

I'm grateful to you. Thanks!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
> <snipped for space
>
> Sorry to hear you've gotta go thru all this, Serene...

Thanks! It could be lots worse.

>> Ideas?

> If asparagus and avocado is OK, (and hoping they are 'in season' where
> you live) I found this:

I'm a lucky person. I can get most fruits and veggies year-round.

> http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/avoc...gus-salad.html
>
> <quote>
> Avocado and Asparagus Salad ingredients list:

Oh, that looks *delicious*. Thank you!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

> I'm a lucky person. I can get most fruits and veggies year-round.

That's good.

>> http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/avoc...gus-salad.html
>>
>> <quote>
>> Avocado and Asparagus Salad ingredients list:

> Oh, that looks *delicious*. Thank you!

I fancy it myself <g>

Best of luck - and I am sure you'll get a lot more 'inspiration' from
others here too
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
> I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
> for, but thank you.

But you were not sick and you ate a lot. When you are punky and eating
little, it's a bit harder to get all the combining accomplished.
I don't eat fortified foods because they don't exist in the common foods
here. Flour is just ground wheat. There is no D added to milk, etc.

>> You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins

> Potatoes have protein. Vegetables have protein. Nuts have protein. I'll >
> be fine, proteinwise. Even when I'm completely vegan, I eat about 60 grams
> of protein a day, without trying. That's well over the RDA. I > imagine I
> won't have much trouble this time, either, but if I do, I > guess a few
> weeks won't kill me.

That's also with you eating with a healthy appetite. I once lost a tooth to
a period of not eating adequately. I was told I was lucky I didn't do
myself more damage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Best of luck - and I am sure you'll get a lot more 'inspiration' from
> others here too

Yeah. Trolls and snipers notwithstanding, this is a good place to come
for cooking ideas.

I'm thinking that right before I come home, I'll ask James to roast a
big pan of veggies and put them in the fridge for me. I love cold or
reheated roasted vegetables.

And now I'm really jonesing for some roasted asparagus. :-)

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Giusi wrote:
>> I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
>> for, but thank you.

> But you were not sick and you ate a lot. When you are punky and eating
> little, it's a bit harder to get all the combining accomplished.

Combining's not necessary, honest. I promise I've done my homework, but
I really am grateful for the caring and pep talk. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> The following are fine:
>
> * Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
> cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
> maraschino cherries.
> * Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
> salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
> pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
> * Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
> * Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
> * Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
> * Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
> * All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
> allowed ingredients.
> * Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
> web site, thyca.org.
> * Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
> non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.

Lots of salads using the fresh ingredients on your list can fit into
your diet just fine. I am surprised though that soda is on the list of
permissible items. I guess I am wrong, but I thought most sodas had some
salt in them. You can also buy a juicing machine and make your own salt
free juices. With a food processor, you can make a variety of tasty
soups, and also sauces to go over modest amounts of pasta. You can
certainly make soups a head of time, and sauces and freeze them in
individual serving sizes. Salads are tough to make in advance, but they
are certainly easy enough to prepare as needed.

Best of luck with your treatment and with your low iodine diet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> The following are fine:
>>
>> * Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
>> cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
>> maraschino cherries.
>> * Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
>> salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
>> pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
>> * Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
>> * Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
>> * Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
>> * Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
>> * All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
>> allowed ingredients.
>> * Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
>> web site, thyca.org.
>> * Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
>> non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.

> Lots of salads using the fresh ingredients on your list can fit into
> your diet just fine. I am surprised though that soda is on the list of
> permissible items. I guess I am wrong, but I thought most sodas had some
> salt in them.

Salt's fine, just not iodized salt. Apparently, all US manufacturers
use uniodized salt, but I don't drink much soda anyway, so I don't plan
on stocking up.

> You can also buy a juicing machine and make your own salt
> free juices. With a food processor, you can make a variety of tasty
> soups, and also sauces to go over modest amounts of pasta. You can
> certainly make soups a head of time, and sauces and freeze them in
> individual serving sizes. Salads are tough to make in advance, but they
> are certainly easy enough to prepare as needed.

Good ideas, thanks!

> Best of luck with your treatment and with your low iodine diet.

Thank you.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
> be
> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two
> weeks, so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and
> buy lots of stuff ahead of time.

Yikes, Serene, you've really been going through it! I'm really
sorry this happened and I hope these next few weeks fly by
for you and then you'll be all better.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
> be the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> (LID). > Ideas?
>
> Serene

I'm very sorry to hear this. A good resource is the hospital nutritionist.
He/she can provide you with appropriate liquid supplements if you find you
have a need. Let us know how you are doing as you go along.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be the
>surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
>Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
>(LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks
> Ideas?
>
> Serene

Did you talk with the hospital dietician?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would
> be safe...

Iodide is an important food often given to trout in hatcheries. While low
in iodine compared to other fish, it does contain some. Trout have been used
in thyroid research too.

http://www.iodine4health.com/researc...food_table.htm
The iodine content of fish is quite variable. In general, marine fish have
more iodine than fresh water fish, and a significant part of the iodine is
in the head of the fish (where the thyroid is). Here are some typical
amounts for some common fish, in mcg/100g: Cod (110), Haddock (250), Herring
(29), Mackerel (140), Sardines (29), Tuna (30), Atlantic Salmon (76),
Rainbow Trout (13). Here are a few ranges to give you a sense of the
variability of iodine in fish (mg/100g): Haddock (60 – 920), Pollack (23 –
266), Cod (18 – 1270).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
> so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
> of stuff ahead of time.
>
> So basically, there are lots of rules about what can and can't be in the
> food, and my personal preference would be stuff that's easily frozen and
> reheated in the oven (I don't have a microwave, and I don't think I'll
> be radioactive enough to cook the stuff with my own personal radiation. :-)
>
> Here are the rules:
>
> 1) Salt is fine, but NOT iodized salt, so no packaged foods with salt,
> and no foods that anyone else has cooked.
>
> 2) Nothing from the sea. (Fish, shellfish, seaweed, seaweed tablets,
> kelp, sea salt, carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate.)
>
> 3) No dairy products or nondairy creamers.
>
> 4) No egg yolks or whole eggs.
>
> 5) No commercial baked goods.
>
> 6) No red dye #3 (#40 is fine).
>
> 7) No sulfured molasses.
>
> 8) No soy, except soy oil and soy lecithin.
>
> 9) No red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, or cowpeas.
>
> 10) No rhubarb. No potato skins.
>
> 11) No meat (they say up to 5 ounces a day, but I don't want to have to
> bother counting anything or worrying about salt injections in my meat,
> so I'm just gonna skip it. I don't care about meat anyway.)
>
> 12) Up to 4 servings per day of grains, cereals, pasta, and breads
> without iodine-containing ingredients. No rice.
>

> The following are fine:
>
> * Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
> cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
> maraschino cherries.
> * Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
> salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
> pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
> * Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
> * Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
> * Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
> * Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
> * All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
> allowed ingredients.
> * Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
> web site, thyca.org.
> * Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
> non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.
>

> Ideas?
>
> Serene

Salads and fresh or fresh frozen steamed veggies. They can be made tasty
with some home made low salt salad dressings?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Giusi wrote:
>> I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
>> for, but thank you.

> But you were not sick and you ate a lot.

I meant to say this last night: I won't be sick most of the time on this
thing. The first two weeks, I'll just be tired. Then probably a day or
two of mild illness while I'm radioactive in the hospital, and then just
totally *bored* while I'm in isolation at home.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
>> be the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
>> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
>> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
>> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two
>> weeks, so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and
>> buy lots of stuff ahead of time.

> Yikes, Serene, you've really been going through it! I'm really
> sorry this happened and I hope these next few weeks fly by
> for you and then you'll be all better.

Thanks, Nancy!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
>> be the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
>> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
>> (LID). > Ideas?
>>
>> Serene

> I'm very sorry to hear this. A good resource is the hospital nutritionist.
> He/she can provide you with appropriate liquid supplements if you find you
> have a need. Let us know how you are doing as you go along.

Thanks, Janet!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
>> be the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but
>> the Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine
>> Diet (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks
>> Ideas?
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Did you talk with the hospital dietician?

No, but I will, and I'm on a listserv for people with thyroid cancer.
They have a free cookbook that looks helpful. Things like mayo made with
only pasteurized egg whites, and homemade ketchup, stuff like that.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Salads and fresh or fresh frozen steamed veggies. They can be made tasty
> with some home made low salt salad dressings?

Yeah, I'm thinking that I will have James buy and cut up veggies for me
every few days. Thanks!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> > "Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> >> Giusi wrote:
> >> I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
> >> for, but thank you.

> > But you were not sick and you ate a lot.

> I meant to say this last night: I won't be sick most of the time on this
> thing. The first two weeks, I'll just be tired. Then probably a day or
> two of mild illness while I'm radioactive in the hospital, and then just
> totally *bored* while I'm in isolation at home.
>
> Serene

Subscribe to Netflix.

Rent LOTS of movies.

Go to the library before this starts and borrow lots of books. :-)

Make sure the batteries in the remote are fresh...

Good luck!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
> so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
> of stuff ahead of time.
>
> So basically, there are lots of rules about what can and can't be in the
> food, and my personal preference would be stuff that's easily frozen and
> reheated in the oven (I don't have a microwave, and I don't think I'll
> be radioactive enough to cook the stuff with my own personal radiation. :-)
>
> Here are the rules:
>
> 1) Salt is fine, but NOT iodized salt, so no packaged foods with salt,
> and no foods that anyone else has cooked.
>
> 2) Nothing from the sea. (Fish, shellfish, seaweed, seaweed tablets,
> kelp, sea salt, carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate.)
>
> 3) No dairy products or nondairy creamers.
>
> 4) No egg yolks or whole eggs.
>
> 5) No commercial baked goods.
>
> 6) No red dye #3 (#40 is fine).
>
> 7) No sulfured molasses.
>
> 8) No soy, except soy oil and soy lecithin.
>
> 9) No red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, or cowpeas.
>
> 10) No rhubarb. No potato skins.
>
> 11) No meat (they say up to 5 ounces a day, but I don't want to have to
> bother counting anything or worrying about salt injections in my meat,
> so I'm just gonna skip it. I don't care about meat anyway.)
>
> 12) Up to 4 servings per day of grains, cereals, pasta, and breads
> without iodine-containing ingredients. No rice.
>
> The following are fine:
>
> * Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino
> cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with
> maraschino cherries.
> * Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without
> salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and some other beans like
> pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
> * Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
> * Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
> * Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
> * Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
> * All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only
> allowed ingredients.
> * Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa
> web site, thyca.org.
> * Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3),
> non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Serene

Ouch. Well, 2-4 weeks shouldn't be too bad, certainly better than those
who have to do lifetime diet modification.

Beer and unsalted nuts eh? Sounds manageable...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:18:37 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
>the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
>Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet

snippage

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. My prayers and best
wishes are with you.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> Giusi wrote:
>>> But you were not sick and you ate a lot.

>> I meant to say this last night: I won't be sick most of the time on this
>> thing. The first two weeks, I'll just be tired. Then probably a day or
>> two of mild illness while I'm radioactive in the hospital, and then just
>> totally *bored* while I'm in isolation at home.
>>
>> Serene

> Subscribe to Netflix.
>
> Rent LOTS of movies.

:-) I plan to watch lots of movies on their site. I'm feeling a little
like I don't want to rent stuff or take it out of the library so I don't
make it radioactive, but I'll ask the nuclear-medicine folks about it.

> Go to the library before this starts and borrow lots of books. :-)
>
> Make sure the batteries in the remote are fresh...

:-)

> Good luck!

Thank you!

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>> Ideas?
>>
>> Serene

> Ouch. Well, 2-4 weeks shouldn't be too bad, certainly better than those
> who have to do lifetime diet modification.

Yeah. I figure it will be a challenge, but if I look at it as a fun
challenge and not a drag, it'll probably not be too bad. I think it's
much worse for people who either don't cook or hate to cook.

> Beer and unsalted nuts eh? Sounds manageable...

Hee!

I don't drink, but I did see a big jug of unsalted nuts at Costco
yesterday, and I plan to get some when the time is closer (if I get them
now, I'll eat them before the LID starts. :-)

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:18:37 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
>> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
>> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet

> snippage
>
> I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. My prayers and best
> wishes are with you.
>
> koko

Thanks, koko!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Feb 2009 11:18:37p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
> so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
> of stuff ahead of time.

Serene, I fear that you may have KF'd me again, but all the same, I want to
wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI treatment. From
what I understand from a co-worker who went through this procedure last
year, that the success rate is extremely high.

You already seem to know far more about what foods are acceptable than
those I could imagine, but that's no surprise because you're a great
researcher. I doubt I could offer much beyond what you've already
discovered.

May wellness and strength be yours...

Sincerely,

--
Wayne Boatwright
e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
Date: Sunday, 02(II)/15(XV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till President's Day
3mins
One who has both feet on the ground is not moving forward.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 13 Feb 2009 11:18:37p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
> > I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
> > the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
> > Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
> > (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> > exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
> > so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
> > of stuff ahead of time.

> Serene, I fear that you may have KF'd me again, but all the same, I want to
> wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI treatment. From
> what I understand from a co-worker who went through this procedure last
> year, that the success rate is extremely high.
>
> You already seem to know far more about what foods are acceptable than
> those I could imagine, but that's no surprise because you're a great
> researcher. I doubt I could offer much beyond what you've already
> discovered.
>
> May wellness and strength be yours...
>
> Sincerely,

Why would Serene killfile you???
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 01:36:02a, Omelet told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 13 Feb 2009 11:18:37p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>>
>> > I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't
>> > be the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but
>> > the Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine
>> > Diet (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
>> > exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two
>> > weeks, so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and
>> > buy lots of stuff ahead of time.

>> Serene, I fear that you may have KF'd me again, but all the same, I
>> want to wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI
>> treatment. From what I understand from a co-worker who went through
>> this procedure last year, that the success rate is extremely high.
>>
>> You already seem to know far more about what foods are acceptable than
>> those I could imagine, but that's no surprise because you're a great
>> researcher. I doubt I could offer much beyond what you've already
>> discovered.
>>
>> May wellness and strength be yours...
>>
>> Sincerely,

> Why would Serene killfile you???

She thinks I quote too much and don't trim enough. She's right. I
frequently forget to trim.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
If you're so special, why aren't you dead?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> She thinks I quote too much and don't trim enough. She's right. I
> frequently forget to trim.

That's a pretty minor issue, but each to his/her own.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > Why would Serene killfile you???

> She thinks I quote too much and don't trim enough. She's right. I
> frequently forget to trim.

I tend to do that too sometimes, but she didn't killfile me!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 13 Feb 2009 11:18:37p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be
>> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the
>> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet
>> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
>> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks,
>> so I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots
>> of stuff ahead of time.

> Serene, I fear that you may have KF'd me again

Nope, but if I had, I still would respond to you in a thread where I'm
asking for people's help and you're offering it. It's only polite. :-)

(Note to others: Wayne knows I like him, but I killfile him now and then
when he's either overquoting for one-line responses all the time, or
expressing his disgust of fat people a lot.)

> , but all the same, I want to
> wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI treatment. From
> what I understand from a co-worker who went through this procedure last
> year, that the success rate is extremely high.

Thanks very much! Yes, the official survival rate for the kind of cancer
I have is 100%.

> You already seem to know far more about what foods are acceptable than
> those I could imagine, but that's no surprise because you're a great
> researcher. I doubt I could offer much beyond what you've already
> discovered.
>
> May wellness and strength be yours...

Thanks, dear.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> She thinks I quote too much and don't trim enough. She's right. I
>> frequently forget to trim.
>>

> That's a pretty minor issue, but each to his/her own.

It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
really does know better.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
> fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
> too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
> really does know better.
>
> Serene

BTW, Serene, even though I have no good suggestions, I do send my
best wishes to you.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
>> fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
>> too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
>> really does know better.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> BTW, Serene, even though I have no good suggestions, I do send my best
> wishes to you.

Thanks much, Jean!

ObFood: I'm craving pierogie today, and thinking I might bypass the ones
in the freezer (store-bought) and try my hand at Barb's. Wish me luck!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Nope, but if I had, I still would respond to you in a thread where I'm
> asking for people's help and you're offering it. It's only polite. :-)
>
> (Note to others: Wayne knows I like him, but I killfile him now and then
> when he's either overquoting for one-line responses all the time, or
> expressing his disgust of fat people a lot.)

Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat people.
I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

> > , but all the same, I want to
>> wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI treatment.
>> From what I understand from a co-worker who went through this procedure
>> last year, that the success rate is extremely high.

> Thanks very much! Yes, the official survival rate for the kind of cancer
> I have is 100%.

You're most certainly welcome. Wow, I had no idea that the survival rate
was 100%. That's wonderful.

>> You already seem to know far more about what foods are acceptable than
>> those I could imagine, but that's no surprise because you're a great
>> researcher. I doubt I could offer much beyond what you've already
>> discovered.
>>
>> May wellness and strength be yours...

> Thanks, dear.

Again, you are very welcome.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
Dating processes are dependent on the analysis of rocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:04:05a, Serene Vannoy told us...

> It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
> fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
> too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
> really does know better.
>
> Serene

Jean, Serene makes a valid point, and I know I'm guilty of that.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
A good way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.