Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:04:05a, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
>> fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
>> too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
>> really does know better.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Jean, Serene makes a valid point, and I know I'm guilty of that.

Wayne, I'm sorry for talking about you in the third person. That was rude.

ObFood: Made pancakes this morning, but I didn't have buttermilk, so
they weren't as good as the ones I've settled on as the best (adapted
from a Tyler Florence recipe, of all things). James and I have decided
that we need to make a weekly Saturday trip to the store for buttermilk
and breakfast sausage so that we can have our favorite pancakes on Sundays.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...

>> (Note to others: Wayne knows I like him, but I killfile him now and then
>> when he's either overquoting for one-line responses all the time, or
>> expressing his disgust of fat people a lot.)

>Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat people.
>I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

I have not noticed you expressing a disgust for fat people.
I have noticed you expressing the belief that deliberate weight
loss works for some people, and I've noticed Serene disagreeing
with this sentiment. Maybe in some sort of amplified mode
this difference of opinion translates into "disgust".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> Nope, but if I had, I still would respond to you in a thread where I'm
>> asking for people's help and you're offering it. It's only polite. :-)
>>
>> (Note to others: Wayne knows I like him, but I killfile him now and then
>> when he's either overquoting for one-line responses all the time, or
>> expressing his disgust of fat people a lot.)

> Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat people.
> I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

Took me two seconds to find an example in google. As a size-acceptance
activist, I notice these things:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...4feae559?hl=en

>>> , but all the same, I want to
>>> wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI treatment.
>>> From what I understand from a co-worker who went through this procedure
>>> last year, that the success rate is extremely high.

>> Thanks very much! Yes, the official survival rate for the kind of cancer
>> I have is 100%.

> You're most certainly welcome. Wow, I had no idea that the survival rate
> was 100%. That's wonderful.

Yeah. It's a real pain having cancer of any kind, don't get me wrong,
but even the doctors say if they had to have cancer, papillary thyroid
cancer (the specific kind I have) is what they'd pick, because of its
relatively minor nature.

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 12:03:53p, Steve Pope told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...

>>> (Note to others: Wayne knows I like him, but I killfile him now and
>>> then when he's either overquoting for one-line responses all the time,
>>> or expressing his disgust of fat people a lot.)

>>Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat
>>people. I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

> I have not noticed you expressing a disgust for fat people.
> I have noticed you expressing the belief that deliberate weight
> loss works for some people, and I've noticed Serene disagreeing
> with this sentiment. Maybe in some sort of amplified mode
> this difference of opinion translates into "disgust".

Yes, Steve, I have stated that a deliberate attempt at losing weight does
work for some people, including myself, but I also know that the same
attempt by some other people is not as effective. I am still overweight,
but I am also still losing weight. I also know that many people who are
overweight are happy with their own situation and I don't find that or them
disgusting. I didn't think we had a difference of opinion, but it may have
been a difference in interpretation. Life is much to short to quibble over
someone's physical attributes, or certainly not to hold that against them.
I have known some rather overweight women whom I considered "grand ladies"
in the kindest sense of the word. I have also known some overweight people
who were very unhappy with their weight, but had never tried to do any
thing about it. I felt that was sad.

Thanks for your comment.

--
Wayne Boatwright
e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
Sushi: Known to the rest of the world as bait.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 12:01:51p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Wayne, I'm sorry for talking about you in the third person. That was

rude.

I honestly didn't think anything of it, Serene, but thank you.

> ObFood: Made pancakes this morning, but I didn't have buttermilk, so
> they weren't as good as the ones I've settled on as the best (adapted
> from a Tyler Florence recipe, of all things). James and I have decided
> that we need to make a weekly Saturday trip to the store for buttermilk
> and breakfast sausage so that we can have our favorite pancakes on

Sundays.

I have to agree that pancakes are better when made with buttermilk. My
favorite waffle recipe also uses buttermilk.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
I've already told you more than I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio

I had chickpea and pasta soup yesterday and that could certainly work for
you, as would pasta e fagioli. These are two wonderful things to eat on
cool days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> I had chickpea and pasta soup yesterday and that could certainly work for
> you, as would pasta e fagioli. These are two wonderful things to eat on
> cool days.

Oh, thank you! I love chickpeas. Mmmmmm!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 12:07:10p, Serene Vannoy told us...

I feel I should quote what I wrote for clarification:

Doug Miller wrote:

> Size-28 shoppers in size-12 clothing... :-b

I replied:

In particular, strech pants!

They should be banned from supermarkets for creating an unappetizing
environment.

I thought it was obvious I was commenting on anyone wearing clothing that
was so ill fitting as to make them totally unattractive. It would also
apply to someone of average weight wearing, for example, an outfit that
pretty much bears all.

I feel the same way about people of "normal" or even skinny weight wearing
outfits that, quite frankly, make them look disgusting and totally
inappropriate. I'm not trying to dictate fashion, but it's not difficult
today to find examples of poor taste and poor choices everywhere you look.

>>> Thanks very much! Yes, the official survival rate for the kind of
>>> cancer I have is 100%.

>> You're most certainly welcome. Wow, I had no idea that the survival
>> rate was 100%. That's wonderful.

> Yeah. It's a real pain having cancer of any kind, don't get me wrong,
> but even the doctors say if they had to have cancer, papillary thyroid
> cancer (the specific kind I have) is what they'd pick, because of its
> relatively minor nature.

Yes, cancer is probably one of the worst diseases that is so widespread
today and some of the treatments are actually horrifying. I have a very
close friend who has been battling esophageal cancer for the past 3 years,
and while there have been remissions, his prognosis is not good.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
Life is full of little surprises. - Pandora.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 12:07:10p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...

>>> Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat
>>> people. I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

>> Took me two seconds to find an example in google. As a size-acceptance
>> activist, I notice these things:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...e4feae559?hl=e

> I feel I should quote what I wrote for clarification:
>
> Doug Miller wrote:
>
> > Size-28 shoppers in size-12 clothing... :-b

> I replied:
>
> In particular, strech pants!
>
> They should be banned from supermarkets for creating an unappetizing
> environment.
>

> I thought it was obvious I was commenting on anyone wearing clothing that
> was so ill fitting as to make them totally unattractive. It would also
> apply to someone of average weight wearing, for example, an outfit that
> pretty much bears all.

"Bears all" = "emphasizes their fat". Somehow I think that if some thin
man is wearing tight pants that pretty much bares all, you'd think he
was attractive. (Later in that thread, I said that I think fat women in
tight pants are hot. You said. "Pft. Repulsive." -- my only point was to
refute your saying "I don't believe that I have ever expressed a disgust
for fat people", and you have done so. At any rate, I think you'll
agree that you've expressed views here that make it clear you find at
least some fat people repulsive, at least some of the time, but I can
probably find more links if you don't.

I'm sorry about your friend with esophageal cancer.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:01:51 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:04:05a, Serene Vannoy told us...
>>
>>> It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
>>> fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
>>> too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
>>> really does know better.
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> Jean, Serene makes a valid point, and I know I'm guilty of that.
>>

>Wayne, I'm sorry for talking about you in the third person. That was rude.
>
>ObFood: Made pancakes this morning, but I didn't have buttermilk, so
>they weren't as good as the ones I've settled on as the best (adapted
>from a Tyler Florence recipe, of all things). James and I have decided
>that we need to make a weekly Saturday trip to the store for buttermilk
>and breakfast sausage so that we can have our favorite pancakes on Sundays.
>
>Serene

Buttermilk freezes just fine. Put the recipe amount into containers
and freeze. The sausage will probably freeze OK too.

I can understand if you don't have lots of freezer space.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 12:43:30p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> "Bears all" = "emphasizes their fat". Somehow I think that if some thin
> man is wearing tight pants that pretty much bares all, you'd think he
> was attractive. (Later in that thread, I said that I think fat women in
> tight pants are hot. You said. "Pft. Repulsive." -- my only point was to
> refute your saying "I don't believe that I have ever expressed a disgust
> for fat people", and you have done so. At any rate, I think you'll
> agree that you've expressed views here that make it clear you find at
> least some fat people repulsive, at least some of the time, but I can
> probably find more links if you don't.

Serene, I disagree with how you think I feel. I think that today there are
many people who dress inappropriately and, therefore, unattractively. It
doesn't matter whether they're fat or average or thin. When I said "bears
all", I wasn't referring to fat. I was referring to parts of the body that
are generally not well-exposed in public. It used to be unacceptable, but
it now seems that "anything goes". When I see someone wearing clothes that
appear to be bursting at the seams (yes, that can happen with people who
aren't fat, too), I find it unattractive. Another example, not long ago
while shopping at a supermarket, I saw an average-looking lady dressed in
toreador pants that fit well and looked nice, but also wearing a shirt with
the bottom tied above the waist and unbuttoned almost all the way down,
exposing just about everything since she wasn't wearing a bra. This might
be appropriate for a party but not shopping in public.

You and I obviously don't share the same tasate it what we find attractive,
but I think it has more to do with attire than being fat or thin.

> I'm sorry about your friend with esophageal cancer.

Thank you, Serene.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
Plasma is another matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:01:51 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>ObFood: Made pancakes this morning, but I didn't have buttermilk, so
>they weren't as good as the ones I've settled on as the best (adapted
>from a Tyler Florence recipe, of all things). James and I have decided
>that we need to make a weekly Saturday trip to the store for buttermilk
>and breakfast sausage so that we can have our favorite pancakes on Sundays.

<waiting for the recipe to appear>

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:07:10 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>As a size-acceptance
>activist, I notice these things

Serene and Crash have helped me make great strides in reducing my
self-loathing based on my size. Still working on it. It's a
difficult process.

Thanks, Serene!

Carol, size 1X

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:Lil' Wayne Boatwrong blabbles:

> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 01:36:02a, Omelet told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri 13 Feb 2009 11:18:37p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> >> Serene, I fear that you may have KF'd me again, but all the same, I
> >> want to wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and RAI
> >> treatment. From what I understand from a co-worker who went through
> >> this procedure last year, that the success rate is extremely high.
> >>
> >> You already seem to know far more about what foods are acceptable than
> >> those I could imagine, but that's no surprise because you're a great
> >> researcher. I doubt I could offer much beyond what you've already
> >> discovered.
> >>
> >> May wellness and strength be yours...
> >>
> >> Sincerely,

> > Why would Serene killfile you???

> She thinks I quote too much and don't trim enough. She's right. I
> frequently forget to trim.

That's because you weren't raised right and so are inconsiderate towards
others. Lazy too, I suspect. Your stoopid sig line is also *supremely*
annoying, did you corral a kindergartner to do that...??? Reminds me of a
WebTV'er...

You're pathetically immature for someone who is 64 years old - at this late
age you'll apparently *never* learn. I extend my heartiest condolences...

:-)

Not to mention that it is the height of Extreme Unction to horn in and offer
your foney - baloney "good wishes" to someone who probably doesn't even read
your posts...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Yeah. It's a real pain having cancer of any kind, don't get me wrong,
> but even the doctors say if they had to have cancer, papillary thyroid
> cancer (the specific kind I have) is what they'd pick, because of its
> relatively minor nature.

Serene:

Would you be willing to share your symptoms and method of diagnosis with
us? It could save someone else's life.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

NEWBIE Lil' Wayne Boatwrong blabbled:

> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:04:05a, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
> > It is minor for people who post now and then. Sometimes, though, I get
> > fifty posts from Wayne with two or three pages of quoted text and "Me,
> > too" at the bottom, and I lose patience. He's not a newbie, and he
> > really does know better.
> >
> > Serene
> >

> Jean, Serene makes a valid point, and I know I'm guilty of that.

DUH

So instead of doing your usual Uriah Heep act - which fools NO one - why
don't you LEARN how to FRIGGIN' trim yer posts...!!!???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lil' Wayne Boatwrong blabbles:

> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 12:43:30p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
> > "Bears all" = "emphasizes their fat". Somehow I think that if some thin
> > man is wearing tight pants that pretty much bares all, you'd think he
> > was attractive. (Later in that thread, I said that I think fat women in
> > tight pants are hot. You said. "Pft. Repulsive." -- my only point was to
> > refute your saying "I don't believe that I have ever expressed a disgust
> > for fat people", and you have done so. At any rate, I think you'll
> > agree that you've expressed views here that make it clear you find at
> > least some fat people repulsive, at least some of the time, but I can
> > probably find more links if you don't.

> Serene, I disagree with how you think I feel. I think that today there

are
> many people who dress inappropriately and, therefore, unattractively. It
> doesn't matter whether they're fat or average or thin. When I said "bears
> all", I wasn't referring to fat. I was referring to parts of the body

that
> are generally not well-exposed in public. It used to be unacceptable, but
> it now seems that "anything goes". When I see someone wearing clothes

that
> appear to be bursting at the seams (yes, that can happen with people who
> aren't fat, too), I find it unattractive. Another example, not long ago
> while shopping at a supermarket, I saw an average-looking lady dressed in
> toreador pants that fit well and looked nice, but also wearing a shirt

with
> the bottom tied above the waist and unbuttoned almost all the way down,
> exposing just about everything since she wasn't wearing a bra. This might
> be appropriate for a party but not shopping in public.

To quote Bette Davis: "Oh, BROTHER...!!!"

Lol...

> You and I obviously don't share the same tasate it what we find

attractive,
> but I think it has more to do with attire than being fat or thin.

Thus spake Diana Vreeland...!!!

> > I'm sorry about your friend with esophageal cancer.

> Thank you, Serene.

Yes, folx, in the end we see that it's "all about Wayne"...I hear he's even
grown a third arm for which to pat hisself on the back!

<shaking head>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:57:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Serene, I disagree with how you think I feel.

IMO you should have dropped the shovel and climbed out of the hole as
soon as "acceptance" was mentioned. You'll never penetrate the layers
of....ummm...denial.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:01:51 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Made pancakes this morning, but I didn't have buttermilk, so
>> they weren't as good as the ones I've settled on as the best (adapted
>>from a Tyler Florence recipe, of all things). James and I have decided
>> that we need to make a weekly Saturday trip to the store for buttermilk
>> and breakfast sausage so that we can have our favorite pancakes on Sundays.

> <waiting for the recipe to appear>

:-) I think I've posted it before, but just in case, here it is, but I
leave out the bananas and nuts:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/ul...akes/1260.html

(It's a video. Here are the ingredients I use for a half batch, which is
enough for my family:

1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
vanilla

1 cup flour
3/4 tsp powder
1/2 tsp soda
pinch salt
2 Tbsp. sugar

2 Tbsp. melted butter)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:07:10 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>
>> As a size-acceptance
>> activist, I notice these things

> Serene and Crash have helped me make great strides in reducing my
> self-loathing based on my size. Still working on it. It's a
> difficult process.
>
> Thanks, Serene!

Sure. I think you're beautiful, and I'm not just saying that.

ObFood: Meatball sandwiches tonight, with store-bought Dutch Crunch
rolls, Costco meatballs, sauteed onions/peppers, and provolone.

> Carol, size 1X

Serene, various sizes depending on how the clothes are made, but 5'8"
and 325 pounds

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote

>>As a size-acceptance activist, I notice these things

> Serene and Crash have helped me make great strides in reducing my
> self-loathing based on my size. Still working on it. It's a
> difficult process.

> Carol, size 1X

Not bad fellow Carol! Hey, whoever said we were supposed to be 'one size
fits all' was living in a closet with the lights turned off.

I was the lucky one with a high metabolism at least from your view. Looked
as thin as those store maninkins and it was a major pain in the ass
healthwise but once I hit 40, I got some curves (grin). I now have to diet
a bit to keep to 133lb at 5ft1 but that is mainly due to DDD (degenerative
disc disease in the back). You might have looked at me with envy and didnt
know I felt like a walking skeleton at 89 lbs. I got real tired of people
muttering about various nasty things like bulemia or anorexia while I was
scarfing down 3,500 calories a day. You as a counter point probably were
trying to eat healthy on 1,500 or so and got upset when folks wondering if
you were binge eating in secret.

Image is all in the mind. I definately *love* the curves I have now. Wish
to hell I had them when I was in my 20's! The happy grin is there when I
see me now in the mirror and the diet is only because the back condition
means it can not bear weight well, otherwise I'd be a happier pidgeon sort
of shape! Oh! Pear would be so cool! But don't worry, I'm a happy sort of
fireplug shape with a few added curves.

Either way, what ever shape I am, it has a big happy grin and thats what
people notice first which is good as that the real me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Feb 2009 07:31:32p, Lou Decruss told us...

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:57:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>Serene, I disagree with how you think I feel.

> IMO you should have dropped the shovel and climbed out of the hole as
> soon as "acceptance" was mentioned. You'll never penetrate the layers
> of....ummm...denial.
>
> Lou

Perhaps you're right, Lou. I only wanted readers to understand what I
meant, not what they *thought* I meant.

Date: Monday, 02(II)/16(XVI)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Washington's Birthday (Observed)
Purring - an automatic safety valve for happiness overflow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote

> 1 cup buttermilk
> 1 egg

Serene, not sure on the eggs but a google search shows all milk products off
limits while on the low iodine diet. You can use regular non-iodized salt
though. Get a box of that and you need not shift other than the contents of
your salt shaker to hold it.

No eating out for 2 weeks of the treatment (til they tell you iodine is ok)
and several meds may have to be looked at as some have a red dye you can not
take (watch vitimins for this like one a day etc). I remember the red #40
was ok but the #3 series were not?

Mostly I noted milk products, sea products, red dye products, and any item
with salt in it that didnt specify 'iodine free' was a problem for you once
you start the treatment.

Bacon may be cured with iodine contaning salt as well as any samwich meats.
Peanut butter too.

All fresh meats and veggies are on the allowed list as far as I could tell.
Dried rice and dried beans are fine. Store bread probably isnt fine but
breadmaker bread with just flour, salt (non-iodized), water, sugar, and
yeast is fine.

Be well ok?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote

> Serene, various sizes depending on how the clothes are made, but 5'8" and
> 325 pounds

Gosh! I always wanted to be 'tall but worth the clime' but I ended up
'short but worth the stoop'. (big grin as always!)

Dang, I'd love to be 5ft 8! Positively lofty! Oh! and I could reach the
cabinets without having to drag out the step stool!

Ah well, we cant all have everything. Next time you glance down and see a
big grin, might be me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" wrote
>
>> 1 cup buttermilk
>> 1 egg

> Serene, not sure on the eggs but a google search shows all milk products off
> limits while on the low iodine diet.

Oh, I know. Carol asked for the pancake recipe I made today, though, and
I'm not on the LID yet. Thanks for looking out for me!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 07:31:32p, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:57:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Serene, I disagree with how you think I feel.

>> IMO you should have dropped the shovel and climbed out of the hole as
>> soon as "acceptance" was mentioned. You'll never penetrate the layers
>> of....ummm...denial.
>>
>> Lou

> Perhaps you're right, Lou.

*sigh*

Whatever.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:07:10 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...
>>
>>> Nope, but if I had, I still would respond to you in a thread where I'm
>>> asking for people's help and you're offering it. It's only polite. :-)
>>>
>>> (Note to others: Wayne knows I like him, but I killfile him now and then
>>> when he's either overquoting for one-line responses all the time, or
>>> expressing his disgust of fat people a lot.)

>> Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat people.
>> I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

> Took me two seconds to find an example in google. As a size-acceptance
> activist, I notice these things:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...4feae559?hl=en

with all due respect, that was not distaste for fat people, but fat people
in unfortunate clothes.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:30:37 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> "Serene Vannoy" wrote
>
>> Serene, various sizes depending on how the clothes are made, but 5'8" and
>> 325 pounds

> Gosh! I always wanted to be 'tall but worth the clime' but I ended up
> 'short but worth the stoop'. (big grin as always!)
>
> Dang, I'd love to be 5ft 8! Positively lofty! Oh! and I could reach the
> cabinets without having to drag out the step stool!

do you have a grabber?

<http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=g1&itemNumber=6105456>

this is what mine looks like (don't let the 'as seen on t.v. part scare
you):

<http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ehms1_2039_5822675>

they can be very useful.

your pal,
shorty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>

>> Yeah. It's a real pain having cancer of any kind, don't get me wrong,
>> but even the doctors say if they had to have cancer, papillary thyroid
>> cancer (the specific kind I have) is what they'd pick, because of its
>> relatively minor nature.

> Serene:
>
> Would you be willing to share your symptoms and method of diagnosis with
> us? It could save someone else's life.

I didn't have any symptoms, per se, until the tumor in my thyroid was
big enough that the PA doing my annual physical could feel it with her
hands. After that, there was an ultrasound and some blood tests, then a
biopsy (or FNA, Fine Needle Aspiration -- it's as painful as it sounds),
and then surgery.

Fortunately, thyroid cancer almost never kills anyone. Also fortunately,
it's easy to find and treat.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > On Mon 16 Feb 2009 07:31:32p, Lou Decruss told us...
> >
> >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:57:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> >> IMO you should have dropped the shovel and climbed out of the hole

> > Perhaps you're right, Lou.

> *sigh*
>
> Whatever.

I considerably snipped Lou's comment until I agreed with it. I can't
see that body acceptance is enhanced by saying that it's not the body,
it's how that particular body looks based on the clothing choice.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Gosh! I always wanted to be 'tall but worth the clime' but I ended up
>> 'short but worth the stoop'. (big grin as always!)
>>
>> Dang, I'd love to be 5ft 8! Positively lofty! Oh! and I could reach
>> the
>> cabinets without having to drag out the step stool!

> do you have a grabber?

Naw, step stool at home and when shopping I just jump up and down a little
til some helpful taller sort comes by laughing and gets down what I cant
reach.

If I had a grabber and miscalulated, I might drop a can on my head which
would doubtless smoosh me down even further ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 10:10*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Damselin dis Dress" wrote
>
> >>As a size-acceptance activist, I notice these things

> >Sereneand Crash have helped me make great strides in reducing my
> >self-loathingbased on my size. *Still working on it. *It's a
> > difficult process.
> > Carol, size 1X

> Not bad fellow Carol! *Hey, whoever said we were supposed to be 'one size
> fits all' was living in a closet with the lights turned off.
>
> I was the lucky one with a high metabolism at least from your view. *Looked
> as thin as those store maninkins and it was a major pain in the ass
> healthwise but once I hit 40, I got some curves (grin). *I now have to diet
> a bit to keep to 133lb at 5ft1 but that is mainly due to DDD (degenerative
> disc disease in the back). *You might have looked at me with envy and didnt
> know I felt like a walking skeleton at 89 lbs. *I got real tired of people
> muttering about various nasty things like bulemia or anorexia while I was
> scarfing down 3,500 calories a day. *You as a counter point probably were
> trying to eat healthy on 1,500 or so and got upset when folks wondering if
> you were binge eating in secret.
>
> Image is all in the mind. *I definately *love* the curves I have now. *Wish
> to hell I had them when I was in my 20's! *The happy grin is there when I
> see me now in the mirror and the diet is only because the back condition
> means it can not bear weight well, otherwise I'd be a happier pidgeon sort
> of shape! *Oh! *Pear would be so cool! *But don't worry, I'm a happy sort of
> fireplug shape with a few added curves.

I resemble a giant stuffed teddy bear. Crash loves it!

> Either way, what ever shape I am, it has a big happy grin and thats what
> people notice first which is good as that the real me.

What a healthy way to look at the world and yourself! Good on you!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Feb 2009 10:41:49a, blake murphy told us...

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:07:10 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 16 Feb 2009 10:03:02a, Serene Vannoy told us...

>>> Serene, I don't believe that I have ever expessed a disgust for fat
>>> people. I am overweight myself, so could hardly afford to criticize.

>> Took me two seconds to find an example in google. As a size-acceptance
>> activist, I notice these things:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...7e4feae559?hl=
>> en
>>

> with all due respect, that was not distaste for fat people, but fat
> people in unfortunate clothes.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes, Blake, that was exactly my point, and it clearly doesn't pertain to
only fat people. Thank you.

Date: Tuesday, 02(II)/17(XVII)/09(MMIX)
(A)bort, (R)etry, (P)anic?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Feb 2009 03:34:42p, Dan Abel told us...

> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > On Mon 16 Feb 2009 07:31:32p, Lou Decruss told us...

>> > Perhaps you're right, Lou.

>> *sigh*
>>
>> Whatever.

> I considerably snipped Lou's comment until I agreed with it. I can't
> see that body acceptance is enhanced by saying that it's not the body,
> it's how that particular body looks based on the clothing choice.

Exactly, Dan. Case in point... There is a co-worker with whom I work
closely who is very heavy. She always dresses beautifully, wears very
becoming makeup and a very nice hairstyle. She is most attractive, in
fact, moreso than many others in our office who might be considered
"average" weight.

Date: Tuesday, 02(II)/17(XVII)/09(MMIX)
If you can't convince 'em, confuse 'em. --Harry Truman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 9:56*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:07:10 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> > > wrote:

> >> As a size-acceptance
> >> activist, I notice these things

> > Serene and Crash have helped me make great strides in reducing my
> > self-loathing based on my size. *Still working on it. *It's a
> > difficult process.

> > Thanks, Serene!

> Sure. I think you're beautiful, and I'm not just saying that.
>
> ObFood: Meatball sandwiches tonight, with store-bought Dutch Crunch
> rolls, Costco meatballs, sauteed onions/peppers, and provolone.
>

> > Carol, size 1X

> Serene, various sizes depending on how the clothes are made, but 5'8"
> and 325 pounds

And every bit of you is wonderful! Well, I have no personal knowledge
of all your bits, but you know what I mean ... <G>

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no
> exceptions, not even one.
> [snip rules]
> Ideas?

Were I faced with this, I would want largely whole wheat for my
grain/cereal portions, as wheat is the highest-protein
grain and a lot of other protein sources are forbidden.
Since you also want easy preparation, I'd go with whole
wheat pasta, and whole wheat couscous, because both are
dead easy to prepare. I would supplement the protein
with unsalted nuts, and egg whites. Beyond that, I
would eat fruit and fruit juice along with my favorite
olive oil on the pasta.

It seems *some* beans and vegetables are okay, but others
are not and it may be hard to tell what is absolutely okay
I'd be inclined to avoid the entire sector.

Those are my thoughts. I'm glad it's only 2-4 weeks.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote

> Oh, I know. Carol asked for the pancake recipe I made today, though, and
> I'm not on the LID yet. Thanks for looking out for me!

You've probably found this already but if not, here's a pretty decent
cookbook to use during that time.

http://www.thyca.org/Cookbook.pdf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" wrote
>
>> Oh, I know. Carol asked for the pancake recipe I made today, though, and
>> I'm not on the LID yet. Thanks for looking out for me!

> You've probably found this already but if not, here's a pretty decent
> cookbook to use during that time.
>
> http://www.thyca.org/Cookbook.pdf

Yep. Thanks! They also have a pretty great listserv. It's really helped
me get support and research pointers.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:54:57 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>:-) I think I've posted it before, but just in case, here it is, but I
>leave out the bananas and nuts:
>
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/ul...akes/1260.html
>
>(It's a video. Here are the ingredients I use for a half batch, which is
>enough for my family:
>
>1 cup buttermilk
>1 egg
>vanilla
>
>1 cup flour
>3/4 tsp powder
>1/2 tsp soda
>pinch salt
>2 Tbsp. sugar
>
>2 Tbsp. melted butter)
>
>Serene

Thank you most kindly, ma'am!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<carol. wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

>> Image is all in the mind. I definately *love* the curves I have now. Wish
>> to hell I had them when I was in my 20's! The happy grin is there when I

>I resemble a giant stuffed teddy bear. Crash loves it!

I love that image too!

>> Either way, what ever shape I am, it has a big happy grin and thats what
>> people notice first which is good as that the real me.

>What a healthy way to look at the world and yourself! Good on you!

Hey, It's a 'Carol' thing (grin). Our name alone speaks of joyous song and
those with the name have a tendancy to have a happy outlook more often than
not.