Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
> I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any need
> for, but thank you.

But you were not sick and you ate a lot. When you are punky and eating
little, it's a bit harder to get all the combining accomplished.
I don't eat fortified foods because they don't exist in the common foods
here. Flour is just ground wheat. There is no D added to milk, etc.

>> You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins

> Potatoes have protein. Vegetables have protein. Nuts have protein. I'll >
> be fine, proteinwise. Even when I'm completely vegan, I eat about 60 grams
> of protein a day, without trying. That's well over the RDA. I > imagine I
> won't have much trouble this time, either, but if I do, I > guess a few
> weeks won't kill me.

That's also with you eating with a healthy appetite. I once lost a tooth to
a period of not eating adequately. I was told I was lucky I didn't do
myself more damage.