Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> I have a feeling that the most annoying part of thyroid cancer won't be >
>> the surgeries or the doctor visits (as annoying as those are), but the >
>> Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatments and the attendant Low Iodine Diet >
>> (LID). I have to do the LID for 2-4 weeks, depending, with no >
>> exceptions, not even one. Also, I'll be off my meds for that two weeks, so
>> I won't have much energy for cooking, so I have to make and buy lots > of
>> stuff ahead of time.
>>
>> Serene

> If this is to go on up to 4 weeks, I think you should loosen your thing
> about meat because it can be so useful in flavoring things and making them
> different from yesterday's food.

I was a vegetarian for 20 years. It's really not something I feel any
need for, but thank you.

> I would probably make some severely
> reduced stocks to start and freeze them in small bits to add to dishes,,,
> but that's me.

*nod* I might make chicken stock and freeze it, just in case I can't eat
or don't want to after my treatment. (Some people get some swelling
and/or damage that makes them not want to eat for a while.)

> Meantime, you can make hot water pasta like orecchiette with just plain
> flour and hot water-- there are lots of possible shapes, but little ears are
> the easiest.

Oh, I would love to try that. I've made pasta before, but usually, it
had eggs in it.

> In a food processor you can make eggless pasta using hard
> (durum) wheat, water and a bit of olive oil.
> Both of these will be delightful in vegetable preparations, but you need to
> think hard about proteins, too.

No, I don't, but again, thanks. :-)

> So I would make pasta e fagioli sometimes,
> but I like that made with stock.
>
> Do fresh water fish have iodine? I would have thought trout, etc. would be
> safe...

No fish at all is the rule. I'm going to stick with that.

> You are pretty much restricted to grains and beans for proteins

Potatoes have protein. Vegetables have protein. Nuts have protein. I'll
be fine, proteinwise. Even when I'm completely vegan, I eat about 60
grams of protein a day, without trying. That's well over the RDA. I
imagine I won't have much trouble this time, either, but if I do, I
guess a few weeks won't kill me.

> and greens
> for calcium,

And almonds, and fortified foods/supplements, yes.

> do you could easily prepare these ahead of time and freeze
> them, then combine them into various dishes when thawed. Spelt, spinach and
> chickpeas, or wheat berries with white beans and onion dressed with olive
> oil and thyme, bit of lemon.

Ooh, that sounds delicious. Thank you!

> That's what comes off the top of my italianized brain-- shall think some
> more.

I'm grateful to you. Thanks!

Serene