Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas For A Deli Menu

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Steve
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

Cheeses.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:13:13 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.

I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
The markup on all those is pretty good.

-sw

-sw
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:
A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

My favorite deli had great sandwiches that people would come
from miles around to order. They had their signature crusty bread
and they had a nice assortment of salads you could order with it.
(sandwich menu follows) Then they had some great baked goods,
and it was a great place to grab a cup of coffee and a muffin or whatever.

I say had because the place burned down last fall, but they're still
in the catering business. I hope they reopen their deli. But I'd say
the catering side would be profitable, too. Just a thought.

SIGNATURE SANDWICH ASSORTMENT
An assortment of sandwiches from our signature sandwich list, with choice of
potato salad, cole slaw or pasta salad
$7.75 per person

SIGNATURE SANDWICHES
Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella, roasted sweet peppers & romaine lettuce
with basil pesto on Italian peasant bread
$6.25

#2 Black Forest ham & Jarlsberg swiss cheese with whole grain mustard & red
leaf lettuce on Italian peasant bread
$5.75

Sloppy Joe; A combination of corned beef & pastrami, our own homemade cole
slaw & Russian dressing on Italian peasant bread
$6.25

Albacore tuna salad with sliced red onions, sprouts & grated carrots on
croissant or Italian peasant bread
$6.00

Roast beef & aurichio provolone with sliced tomato, romaine lettuce &
horseradish mayonnaise on Italian peasant bread
$6.50

Tarragon chicken salad with bacon, red leaf lettuce & tomato on
Italianpeasant bread
$6.50

Sliced chicken breast with cucumber slices, tomato, red leaf lettuce &
Dijon mayonnaise on Italian peasant bread
$6.00

Fresh mozzarella & aurichio provolone with roasted peppers, basil pesto &
romaine lettuce on Italian peasant bread
$6.25

Oven roasted turkey breast with relish and romaine lettuce on Italian
peasant bread
$6.00

Genoa salami, cappacola, provolone, pastrami, romaine lettuce & Italian
vinaigrette on French baguette
$6.75

grilled vegetable sandwich; an array of seasonal grilled vegetables such
as zucchini, eggplant, red onions, portabella mushrooms & roasted sweet
peppers splashed with balsamic vinegar on our very ownpesto dressed focaccia
$6.25
$6.50 with cheese

Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.

I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
The markup on all those is pretty good.

-sw

-sw

Brilliant : dirty, greasy, smelly, work intensive and a fire risk.

I dont think it would be possible to come up with a worse idea.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony 527" wrote in message
A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

An assortment of different Chili.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.

I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
The markup on all those is pretty good.

-sw

-sw

Brilliant : dirty, greasy, smelly, work intensive and a fire risk.

I dont think it would be possible to come up with a worse idea.

Every thread I have seen responded to by this poster has nothing of value to
add, merely a flaming insult to whomever has answered prior. Here's one for
you Boggie.........a couple of years ago, the BBC had a show on called MI-5.
An undercover agent was 'found out' and they stuck him head first into the
deep fat fryer.....try it to yourself, you might like it.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony 527" wrote in message
A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

panini, cubans, other types of 'grilled' sandwiches. A number of years ago,
I worked at a coffee shoppe. The sandwiches we had that could be served
either grilled or cold were the biggest sellers.
-ginny

Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 12:13*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. *Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Steve

That's probably regional. Nobody around here knows what pozole
is. I'm a foodie, and I had to look it up.

For the OP:

Decent salads. Potato salad, cole slaw. Not too much sugar.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:
A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

One thing that has been going over very well in this area is wraps.
Easy to make especially since this is already a deli. Just a small
sandwich board/station would be all that is needed.

There is a chain that is going great guns called RolyPoly Sandwiches.
http://www.rolypoly.com/ It is an interesting idea and the local place
seems to be doing very well.

George L
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 12:01*am, Anthony 527 wrote:
A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

Decent sandwiches on non-collapsible bread or rolls.

Important to have friendly, prompt service and plenty of coverage
during the lunch hour.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You

Really good coffee. Find a local coffee roaster,
so that the beans are always fresh. That makes
a huge difference.

Espresso is another possibility, but requires
some amount of skill and experience, even when
a highly automated machine is used.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:10:15 -0500, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

Anthony 527 wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.

I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
The markup on all those is pretty good.

Brilliant : dirty, greasy, smelly, work intensive and a fire risk.

I dont think it would be possible to come up with a worse idea.

Every thread I have seen responded to by this poster has nothing of value to
add, merely a flaming insult to whomever has answered prior.

Aww, shucks. And here I was hoping it was something personal
against just me. You mean I have to share him with everybody else?

-sw
Old 11-03-2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:13:03 -0600, Andy wrote:

Tell 'em Andy sent ya and they'll for sure charge ya double!

And force you to get "to go".

-sw