Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low Iodine Diet

I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
for quite a while).

I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.

Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
recipes that fall into this category?

Thanks in advance.

And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0800, tofuqueen wrote:

> I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
> this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
> for quite a while).

You aren't that much of a lurker. I recognize you! LOL

> I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
> medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
> dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
> Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
> caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
> about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.

I totally sympathize. I was addicted to coffee at one point in my
life and it was a real problem - but I got over it. Now I'm addicted
to the cream in my coffee. IOW, if I don't have coffee - it's ok, but
if I don't have cream for my coffee - it's NOT ok.

> Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
> recipes that fall into this category?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure many here will. Good luck,
you're going to need it - this sounds serious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0800, tofuqueen wrote:
>
> > I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
> > this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
> > for quite a while).

> You aren't that much of a lurker. I recognize you! LOL
> >
> > I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
> > medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
> > dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
> > Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
> > caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
> > about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.

> I totally sympathize. I was addicted to coffee at one point in my
> life and it was a real problem - but I got over it. Now I'm addicted
> to the cream in my coffee. IOW, if I don't have coffee - it's ok, but
> if I don't have cream for my coffee - it's NOT ok.
> >
> > Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
> > recipes that fall into this category?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

> I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure many here will. Good luck,
> you're going to need it - this sounds serious.

Since when does coffee and coffee creamer have iodine in it?????????

That's news to me!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On 12 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0800, tofuqueen wrote:
> >
> > > I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
> > > this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
> > > for quite a while).

> > You aren't that much of a lurker. I recognize you! LOL
> > >
> > > I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
> > > medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
> > > dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
> > > Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
> > > caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
> > > about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.

> > I totally sympathize. I was addicted to coffee at one point in my
> > life and it was a real problem - but I got over it. Now I'm addicted
> > to the cream in my coffee. IOW, if I don't have coffee - it's ok, but
> > if I don't have cream for my coffee - it's NOT ok.
> > >
> > > Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
> > > recipes that fall into this category?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

> > I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure many here will. Good luck,
> > you're going to need it - this sounds serious.

> Since when does coffee and coffee creamer have iodine in it?????????
>
> That's news to me!

Oh, coffee doesn't :-) Dairy products do. For one, the machinery used
to process dairy products are cleaned with cleansers that contain
iodine and secondly, the cows ingest iodine. Black coffee drinkers
don't have to worry about this issue. I don't fall into that category
though :-(
> --
> Peace, Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 12 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0800, tofuqueen wrote:
>
>> I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
>> this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
>> for quite a while).

> You aren't that much of a lurker. I recognize you! LOL
>>
>> I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
>> medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
>> dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
>> Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
>> caramel creamer.

Coffeemate Creamer? Have you carefully looked at the ingredients in that?
A vegetarian who is concerned about health should also be concerned about
using items that simulate the real thing.
For instance, IMO a meat-eater would not want a substitute meat that had the
taste of meat -- if so, I wonder why? Do they like to tempt themselves?
What is the real reason? An addiction always has behind it other physical
needs, not just psychological.
Vegetarianism can be a good thing, but don't make it harder than it should
be -- take a walk down the dried bean aisle.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Oh, coffee doesn't :-) Dairy products do. For one, the machinery used
> to process dairy products are cleaned with cleansers that contain
> iodine and secondly, the cows ingest iodine. Black coffee drinkers
> don't have to worry about this issue. I don't fall into that category
> though :-(

Since when is non dairy coffee creamer dairy? Non dairy creamers aren't
even remotely dairy, they're chemistry.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:

> I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
> this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
> for quite a while).
>
> I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
> medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
> dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
> Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
> caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
> about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.

You could use iodine free sea salt. I think it tastes better anyway.
You might be able to get some iodine free dairy products at the health
food store. Is it possible for you to grind your own coffee beans then
just use plain cream? Maybe there is an iodine free coffee cream or
whitener available at the health food store. I'd start there and see
what you can find.

> Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
> recipes that fall into this category?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

>>On 12 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0800, tofuqueen wrote:
>>

>>> I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
>>> this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
>>> for quite a while).

>> You aren't that much of a lurker. I recognize you! LOL
>>

>>> I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
>>> medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
>>> dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
>>> Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
>>> caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
>>> about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.

>>I totally sympathize. I was addicted to coffee at one point in my
>>life and it was a real problem - but I got over it. Now I'm addicted
>>to the cream in my coffee. IOW, if I don't have coffee - it's ok, but
>>if I don't have cream for my coffee - it's NOT ok.
>>

>>> Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
>>> recipes that fall into this category?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

>>I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure many here will. Good luck,
>>you're going to need it - this sounds serious.

> Since when does coffee and coffee creamer have iodine in it?????????
>
> That's news to me!

I'm not sure about the coffee but the creamer likely has salt in it.
That salt is likely iodized so the creamer has to be avoided. I could
be wrong as I'm just guessing here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On 12 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0800, tofuqueen wrote:
> >
> >> I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
> >> this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
> >> for quite a while).

> > You aren't that much of a lurker. I recognize you! LOL
> >>
> >> I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
> >> medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
> >> dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
> >> Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
> >> caramel creamer.

> Coffeemate Creamer? Have you carefully looked at the ingredients in that?
> A vegetarian who is concerned about health should also be concerned about
> using items that simulate the real thing.

You're absolutely right and it's one of very few indulgences that I use
and I don't proclaim to be perfect. I do the best that I can do and
for the last several decades, I've lived a pretty clean life/diet. If
a few T. of coffeemate creamer every morning is the worst offense in my
diet....well, let's just say : I'm doing pretty well :-)

> For instance, IMO a meat-eater would not want a substitute meat that had the
> taste of meat -- if so, I wonder why? Do they like to tempt themselves?
> What is the real reason? An addiction always has behind it other physical
> needs, not just psychological.

What are you talking about and where are you going with this? All I
want are some recipes that are low in iodine :-) Do you mean a
non-meat eater wanting a subsitute meat? I'd be happy to answer your
question if it made sense to me. Addiction? Honestly, what are you
talking about????

> Vegetarianism can be a good thing, but don't make it harder than it should
> be -- take a walk down the dried bean aisle.

For this particular two week diet, many beans are not allowed. But
thanks for your help anyway. Looks like I might have hit one of your
hot buttons.
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:
> "tofuqueen" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Oh, coffee doesn't :-) Dairy products do. For one, the machinery used
> > to process dairy products are cleaned with cleansers that contain
> > iodine and secondly, the cows ingest iodine. Black coffee drinkers
> > don't have to worry about this issue. I don't fall into that category
> > though :-(

> Since when is non dairy coffee creamer dairy? Non dairy creamers aren't
> even remotely dairy, they're chemistry.
>
> Ms P

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Carnation Coffee-Mate Non-Dairy Creamer, Powder, 16 o

Delicious Taste Coffee Creamer
Made with Artificial and Natural Flavors
"Non-Dairy, Lactose Free Creamer"

Product Description

Product Description
Non-Dairy Creamer

Important Information
Ingredients
"Corn Syrup Solids, Vegetable Oil (Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Or
Palm Kernel And Canola, Hydrogenated Palm, Soybean, Cottonseed, And/Or
Safflower), Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate
(Moderates Coffee Acidity), Sodium Aluminosilicate, Mono And
Diglycerides (Prevents Oil Separation), Artificial Flavor, Annatto
Color."

************************************************** ************************************************** **

It's the caseinate (a milk derivative) that makes this product -dairy.
For those with allergies, reading labels is a way of life. There are
milk derivatives in things that would blow your mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Important Information
> Ingredients
> "Corn Syrup Solids, Vegetable Oil (Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Or
> Palm Kernel And Canola, Hydrogenated Palm, Soybean, Cottonseed, And/Or
> Safflower), Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate
> (Moderates Coffee Acidity), Sodium Aluminosilicate, Mono And
> Diglycerides (Prevents Oil Separation), Artificial Flavor, Annatto
> Color."
>
> ************************************************** ************************************************** **
>
> It's the caseinate (a milk derivative) that makes this product -dairy.
> For those with allergies, reading labels is a way of life. There are
> milk derivatives in things that would blow your mind.

Ahhhh, so that makes it third cousin or so to dairy which is close enough if
you have to avoid anything remotely related to dairy for an allergy or in
your case avoiding iodine.

And that's also how they get away with labeling it non dairy.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Looks like I might have hit one of your
> hot buttons.

Ignore everything I said. Sorry, you don't need and wasn't asking for the
kind of advice I was giving.
http://tinypic.com/rbekg3.gif

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry that I can't help you but you might want to try
alt.support.thyroid (I don't know if what you have is a thyroid
disorder/thyroid cancer but people with thyroid problems sometimes must
be on a no iodine diet) and there have often been discussions on the
topic on that particular newsgroup, also on about.com thyroid group
tofuqueen wrote:
> I know that this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try since
> this group in particular, seems rather caring and cohesive (I've lurked
> for quite a while).
>
> I have to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before getting a
> medical treatment in April. I"m also a vegetarian. I can't have any
> dairy, soy, and about a million other things that involve iodized salt.
> Coffee is going to be the hardest since I'm addicted to coffemate
> caramel creamer. I can't even use soymilk so I might have to forget
> about coffee for those two weeks. Ugh, I hate that thought.
>
> Has anyone in here had to do this and/or do you have any great veggie
> recipes that fall into this category?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> And if no one answers, I'll figure that it really was a long shot. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> Looks like I might have hit one of your
> > hot buttons.

> Ignore everything I said. Sorry, you don't need and wasn't asking for the
> kind of advice I was giving.
> http://tinypic.com/rbekg3.gif
>
> Dee Dee

ROFL....I love your picture and thanks for the laugh. Today is a tough
day and your picture hit the spot! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> Looks like I might have hit one of your
>> > hot buttons.

>> Ignore everything I said. Sorry, you don't need and wasn't asking for the
>> kind of advice I was giving.
>> http://tinypic.com/rbekg3.gif
>>
>> Dee Dee

> ROFL....I love your picture and thanks for the laugh. Today is a tough
> day and your picture hit the spot! :-)

Good Luck,
and
Good Health,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"tofuqueen" > wrote:

> Hey....you're smart :-) You picked right up on that one! I do have
> thyroid cancer and I need an radioactive iodine treatment. Your body
> needs to have as little iodine in it as possible before the treatment
> so that the treatment is absorbed by the tissue that's left from the
> thyroid that was just removed a month ago. Maybe I'll discuss it in
> that group...and thanks :-)

Be sure when you go on thyroid replacement medication to ask your doctor
about Thyrolar instead of the more common Synthroid.

It's worked a lot better for me and many people I know. :-)
I did not have cancer, just Hypothyroidism but we've had trouble
establishing the right levels...

Cheers and good luck!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "tofuqueen" > wrote:
>
> > Hey....you're smart :-) You picked right up on that one! I do have
> > thyroid cancer and I need an radioactive iodine treatment. Your body
> > needs to have as little iodine in it as possible before the treatment
> > so that the treatment is absorbed by the tissue that's left from the
> > thyroid that was just removed a month ago. Maybe I'll discuss it in
> > that group...and thanks :-)

> Be sure when you go on thyroid replacement medication to ask your doctor
> about Thyrolar instead of the more common Synthroid.

Actually I've been taking Levoxyl, until a few days ago when I had to
stop to put my body into a hypothyroid state. Once this whole
nightmare is over (mid April), then begins the task of finding the
right amount of artificial hormone that will keep me on the higher side
of hyperthyroid, to keep the tumors away.

> It's worked a lot better for me and many people I know. :-)
> I did not have cancer, just Hypothyroidism but we've had trouble
> establishing the right levels...

I hear that this can be quite the nightmare. Until two months ago, I
never knew what a thyroid even did. Unfortunately, I've had to learn
way more info than I cared to learn. Including things like dairy
products having iodine due to machines that are cleaned with iodine. I
wonder if they ever ask questions like this on Jeopardy or that million
dollar show :-)

> Cheers and good luck!

Thank you very much :-)

iodine? Todd Diabetic 15 07-06-2013 02:23 AM
Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas? Serene Vannoy General Cooking 92 20-02-2009 05:48 PM
Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas? Steve Pope General Cooking 0 16-02-2009 09:12 PM
Standardizing Iodine Patrick Winemaking 0 07-08-2006 05:05 AM
Dr. Andrew B. Chung is deluded WAS: Moderate-fat Diet Is Kinder To Heart Than Low-fat Diet Last Shot At The Mu_n Historic 0 06-02-2004 04:11 PM