Frozen Lima Beans

Old 03-03-2007, 12:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen Lima Beans

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

Not hard to grow, but they take a long time to mature, so less turnaround
per acre, more money charged.

What are some easy recipes?

Google for "lima beans with mint". I had a recipe years ago, can't find it
now.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

Not hard to grow, but they take a long time to mature, so less turnaround
per acre, more money charged.

What are some easy recipes?

Google for "lima beans with mint". I had a recipe years ago, can't find it
now.

Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

George

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Don K wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

George

Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

My dad makes his own lima bean, rice, and tomato stew that he serves
fairly frequently as a side dish when I visit my parents for dinner. My
dad takes whole tomatoes from his garden or store bought, cuts them up
and slowly simmers them in a big pot of water with some spices until he
gets a sauce, then he adds canned lima beans, white rice, and some other
vegies, simmers the mixture more. The result is a vegetable stew that he
really enjoys. I am not a big lima bean fan so I seldom eat any of it,
but my folks enjoy it a lot and its very easy, but time consuming to
slowly simmer the stew.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:32 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different, and I certainly seem to think that I have a preference
for butter beans over lima beans. (Hopefully I'm not crazy and basing
my preference only on the name when the actual food is no different.
That would be embarrassing.)

Is it possible this is one of those things where several varieties
go by the same name? When I was a kid, I told everyone I hated green
beans, except Del Monte brand, which I liked. Everyone told me I was
nuts and that they were all the same thing, until one day I happened
to mention this to my grandfather (who was a food broker and thus
knew a bit more about green beans than the average person), and
instead of telling me I was nuts he said, "Well, Del Monte only cans
Blue Lake variety. It could be that you like Blue Lake variety green
beans and not the others." Sure enough he was right -- I found some
store brand Blue Lake green beans and they were the good stuff.

The point being, maybe the terms "butter beans" and "lima beans"
actually do refer to something slightly different. Anyone have any
further information or insights?

- Logan
Old 03-03-2007, 05:55 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

I've never seen frozen limas, either baby or Fordhook, for over
$2.50/lb. $4 a pound is shocking. I usually get the regular Fordhook
limas since I find the baby ones kind of tasteless and mushy. Here in
my part of the midwest, they're on sale once or twice a year for $1/bag.
We love them so I usually buy ten bags when they're on sale. In the
garden, we usually plant pole limas since they are a long-season crop.
They usually do well but last year, with the drought, ours failed and
the deer managed to overcome our defense system. For growing, I
recommend the Christmas/speckled pole variety and sturdy tripods at lest
6 feet high. We'd had very good luck with that one.

We like ours plain with just butter or mixed with corn cut off the cob
(especially grilled corn). Just a tiny bit of bacon added during
cooking gives them a lot of flavor. Fresh limas, right out of the
garden, are just fabulous.

Emma
Old 03-03-2007, 05:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

Fresh limas, right out of the garden, are just fabulous.

I really hope someday to have the opportunity to have fresh
limas. The same goes for blackeyed peas.

Steve
Old 03-03-2007, 06:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:56:00 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

*drool*

Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 7:37�am, "James" wrote:
This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. *I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. *Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

Lima beans are slightly more expensive than some other beans because
their pods contain slightly fewer beans on average than say pinto
beans... that said dried limas don't cost more than most dried beans.
Fresh frozen limas are expensive but so would any fresh frozen bean be
just as expensive, which is why therre is a very limited selection of
fresh frozen beans. Beans being high in protein they are more apt to
freezer burn than other frozen veggies... and frozen limas are not
very popular anyway so they don't sell well and so they spoil, and so
those who buy them pay for the waste. If price is a concern then use
dried... all canned beans are made from dried. And butter bean is
just another name for lima bean. But lima beans and baby lima beans
are indeed different beans.

Sheldon

Old 03-03-2007, 06:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
..... But lima beans and baby lima beans
are indeed different beans.

Sheldon

Oh man, I wish you hadn't told me that. :-(

Don

Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 12:57�pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
Emma Thackery wrote:

Fresh limas, right out of the garden, are just fabulous.

I really hope someday to have the opportunity to have fresh
limas. *The same goes for blackeyed peas.

If you're going to cook them you'd be hard pressed to tell the
difference between fresh picked and fresh frozen, in fact it can't be
done. The only way to appreciate fresh picked beans of any type is to
eat them raw, in salads or marinated. Except for some ethnic markets
you won't usually find fresh hull beans in the produce section simply
because few people are going to eat raw fresh beans. Most people will
only eat them cooked, so they may as well buy fresh frozen.

Sheldon

Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

George Shirley wrote:
Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different....... [...]

Not technically the same. The term is used kind of like "broad beans" I
think. I can't recall the taxonomy but, in my experience, butter beans
are a different species. The ones we've grown are kind of brownish, not
green like limas. And btw, fresh Blue Lake string beans are among my
favorites too.

Emma