jmcquown

Default Lima Beans?

Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan to soak
the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or diced salt
pork, then add this to the beans along with some chicken stock and water to
cover and simmer for several hours until the beans are tender. I'm not sure
what seasonings to add other than pepper (the salt pork or bacon will take
care of most of the salt). Anyone got a nice recipe for this? NOTE: I
don't want to add tomatoes or tomato paste. Just looking for seasoning
ideas.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan
> to soak the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or
> diced salt pork, then add this to the beans along with some chicken
> stock and water to cover and simmer for several hours until the beans
> are tender. I'm not sure what seasonings to add other than pepper
> (the salt pork or bacon will take care of most of the salt). Anyone
> got a nice recipe for this? NOTE: I don't want to add tomatoes or
> tomato paste. Just looking for seasoning ideas.
>
> Jill

Summer Savory and/Thyme would be good choices.

Wayne
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans.

(snip self)
>> Jill
>>

> Summer Savory and/Thyme would be good choices.
>
> Wayne

I have thyme; I have no savory. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jill

hahabogus

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans.

> (snip self)
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Summer Savory and/Thyme would be good choices.
>>
>> Wayne

> I have thyme; I have no savory. Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> Jill

I'm not a lover of dried bean...but some recipes calling them call for
cumin as well.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
Julia Altshuler

I know you asked for seasonings, not vegetables, but winter squash
(acorn, butternut, pumpkin), and corn off the cob are classic additions
that make for a lovely and tasty dish.

--Lia

jmcquown wrote:
> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan to soak
> the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or diced salt
> pork, then add this to the beans along with some chicken stock and water to
> cover and simmer for several hours until the beans are tender. I'm not sure
> what seasonings to add other than pepper (the salt pork or bacon will take
> care of most of the salt). Anyone got a nice recipe for this? NOTE: I
> don't want to add tomatoes or tomato paste. Just looking for seasoning
> ideas.
>
> Jill

Julia Altshuler

I have lots of experience with cooking dried beans. Adding salt or
stock at the beginning of the cooking generally made them take much
longer to cook to the tender point. There are exceptions, and lima
beans might be one of them since they generally cook to tender pretty
easily, but I thought I'd mention this. In my post of a few minutes
ago, I mentioned adding squash and corn. I always added them towards
the END of the cooking time since the vegetables amounted to vegetable
stock.

--Lia

jmcquown wrote:
> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan to soak
> the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or diced salt
> pork, then add this to the beans along with some chicken stock and water to
> cover and simmer for several hours until the beans are tender. I'm not sure
> what seasonings to add other than pepper (the salt pork or bacon will take
> care of most of the salt). Anyone got a nice recipe for this? NOTE: I
> don't want to add tomatoes or tomato paste. Just looking for seasoning
> ideas.
>
> Jill

notbob

On 2003-12-06, jmcquown > wrote:
> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan to soak
> the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or diced
> salt pork...

The classic soul food dish, butter beans 'n hocks, is just as you've
described, only using a smoked ham hock instead of bacon/salt pork.
The classic dish has no garlic, but that's your call. For just a tad
more flavor, you might try a bay leaf. Salt 'n pepper are all I use.
Don't forget to serve with a bottle of hot sauce.

Sounds so good I think I'll some, too.

nb
jmcquown

notbob wrote:
> On 2003-12-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan
>> to soak the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon
>> or diced
>> salt pork...

> The classic soul food dish, butter beans 'n hocks, is just as you've
> described, only using a smoked ham hock instead of bacon/salt pork.
> The classic dish has no garlic, but that's your call. For just a tad
> more flavor, you might try a bay leaf. Salt 'n pepper are all I use.
> Don't forget to serve with a bottle of hot sauce.
>
> Sounds so good I think I'll some, too.
>
> nb

Yeah, it's gotten COLD outside. I'm craving 'soul food'. I'm doing the
quick soak method - 1 lb. lima beans in hot water, covered, for an hour,
then drain.

I'm browning the salt pork in the cooking pot with onion and garlic. Will
add a bay leaf when I add the beans, fresh water and stock. Yum!

Jill

jmcquown

Default GOOFED! ( Lima Beans?)

jmcquown wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> On 2003-12-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>>> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan
>>> to soak the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon
>>> or diced
>>> salt pork...

>> The classic soul food dish, butter beans 'n hocks, is just as you've
>> described, only using a smoked ham hock instead of bacon/salt pork.
>> The classic dish has no garlic, but that's your call. For just a tad
>> more flavor, you might try a bay leaf. Salt 'n pepper are all I use.
>> Don't forget to serve with a bottle of hot sauce.
>>
>> Sounds so good I think I'll some, too.
>>
>> nb

> Yeah, it's gotten COLD outside. I'm craving 'soul food'. I'm doing
> the quick soak method - 1 lb. lima beans in hot water, covered, for
> an hour, then drain.
>
> I'm browning the salt pork in the cooking pot with onion and garlic.
> Will add a bay leaf when I add the beans, fresh water and stock. Yum!
>
> Jill

I got the beef stock out of the freezer instead of the chicken stock.
Didn't notice until I added it to the pre-soaked beans. Hmmm, that looks
brown. Surely I didn't brown the onions and garlic with the salt pork that
long?! Oh criminy, it's beef stock! LOL Bet it still tastes good. Only
time will tell. The pot is simmering on the stove and will for several
hours.

Jill

Kate Connally

jmcquown wrote:

> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan to soak
> the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or diced salt
> pork, then add this to the beans along with some chicken stock and water to
> cover and simmer for several hours until the beans are tender. I'm not sure
> what seasonings to add other than pepper (the salt pork or bacon will take
> care of most of the salt). Anyone got a nice recipe for this? NOTE: I
> don't want to add tomatoes or tomato paste. Just looking for seasoning
> ideas.
>
> Jill

I wouldn't add anything else. I like the flavor
of just the beans themselves and the bacon. Garlic
and onion can't hurt, but one of my favorite dishes
is just the limas cooked with bacon. Yum.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

jmcquown wrote:

> Looking for seasonings for simmering dried large lima beans. I plan to soak
> the beans, and separately brown onion and garlic with bacon or diced salt
> pork, then add this to the beans along with some chicken stock and water to
> cover and simmer for several hours until the beans are tender. I'm not sure
> what seasonings to add other than pepper (the salt pork or bacon will take
> care of most of the salt). Anyone got a nice recipe for this? NOTE: I
> don't want to add tomatoes or tomato paste. Just looking for seasoning
> ideas.
>
> Jill

I wouldn't add anything else. I like the flavor
of just the beans themselves and the bacon. Garlic
and onion can't hurt, but one of my favorite dishes
is just the limas cooked with bacon. Yum.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

hahabogus wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> >> :

> > (snip self)
> >>>
> >> Summer Savory and/Thyme would be good choices.
> >>
> >> Wayne

> > I have thyme; I have no savory. Thanks for the suggestions!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I'm not a lover of dried bean...but some recipes calling them call for
> cumin as well.

Hmm? That's sounds good. I'm thinking maybe Mexican
seasonings - maybe just some chile powder.
Kate

Fresh Lima Beans koko General Cooking 49 24-09-2014 04:20 AM
Baked Lima Beans Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 22-09-2006 03:25 PM
Sherman Lima Beans Duckie ® Recipes 0 01-09-2005 02:42 AM
The taste of lima beans Nathalie Chiva General Cooking 28 05-07-2005 08:15 PM