Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Emma Thackery Emma Thackery is offline

Default Frozen Lima Beans

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?
>
> What are some easy recipes?

I've never seen frozen limas, either baby or Fordhook, for over
$2.50/lb. $4 a pound is shocking. I usually get the regular Fordhook
limas since I find the baby ones kind of tasteless and mushy. Here in
my part of the midwest, they're on sale once or twice a year for $1/bag.
We love them so I usually buy ten bags when they're on sale. In the
garden, we usually plant pole limas since they are a long-season crop.
They usually do well but last year, with the drought, ours failed and
the deer managed to overcome our defense system. For growing, I
recommend the Christmas/speckled pole variety and sturdy tripods at lest
6 feet high. We'd had very good luck with that one.

We like ours plain with just butter or mixed with corn cut off the cob
(especially grilled corn). Just a tiny bit of bacon added during
cooking gives them a lot of flavor. Fresh limas, right out of the
garden, are just fabulous.

Emma