Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Frozen Lima Beans

James wrote:
> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?

I grew lima beans when I was 9 years old in a small plot (about 2 short,
maybe 3 foot rows of them) when we lived in Virginia. It was surprisingly
easy but I was doing it for a science experiment which required me to
dissect the beans to show how the shoots would eventually come up to sprout
flowers and then make new plants. If a 9 year old can do it, you can.
Provided you have the right soil, I guess. And before you ask, I didn't do
anything more than water the tiny plants and wait for the beans to appear on
the plants. I never added any sort of fertilizer; nothing like that. I was
a curious kid. I just checked my plants every day and made sure they were
okay. They were. On a larger scale I'm sure you'd have more to think
about.

You can do a lot with lima beans if you like them. Add them to soups and
stews. Dry them for later use. Or just briefly boil or steam them and
serve them with butter. Maybe some grated cheese. I've never gotten fancy
with lima beans.

Jill