FoodBanter.com

-   -   Frozen Lima Beans (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/117844-frozen-lima-beans.html)

James[_1_] 03-03-2007 01:37 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

JoeSpareBedroom 03-03-2007 02:08 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?

Not hard to grow, but they take a long time to mature, so less turnaround
per acre, more money charged.

> What are some easy recipes?

Google for "lima beans with mint". I had a recipe years ago, can't find it
now.

George Shirley 03-03-2007 03:40 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
>>pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
>>Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
>>my regular row of string beans.
>>
>>Are they hard to grow?

> Not hard to grow, but they take a long time to mature, so less turnaround
> per acre, more money charged.
>

>>What are some easy recipes?
>>

> Google for "lima beans with mint". I had a recipe years ago, can't find it
> now.

Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

George

Don K 03-03-2007 03:45 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

George Shirley 03-03-2007 03:56 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

Don K wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>What are some easy recipes?

> I love lima beans.
>
> Put some in a cereal bowl,
> add a bit of water,
> cover with a saucer,
> and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.
>
> It can't get much easier than that!
>
> Don

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

George

Shawn Hirn 03-03-2007 06:00 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?
>
> What are some easy recipes?

My dad makes his own lima bean, rice, and tomato stew that he serves
fairly frequently as a side dish when I visit my parents for dinner. My
dad takes whole tomatoes from his garden or store bought, cuts them up
and slowly simmers them in a big pot of water with some spices until he
gets a sauce, then he adds canned lima beans, white rice, and some other
vegies, simmers the mixture more. The result is a vegetable stew that he
really enjoys. I am not a big lima bean fan so I seldom eat any of it,
but my folks enjoy it a lot and its very easy, but time consuming to
slowly simmer the stew.

Logan Shaw 03-03-2007 06:32 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

George Shirley wrote:
> Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different, and I certainly seem to think that I have a preference
for butter beans over lima beans. (Hopefully I'm not crazy and basing
my preference only on the name when the actual food is no different.
That would be embarrassing.)

Is it possible this is one of those things where several varieties
go by the same name? When I was a kid, I told everyone I hated green
beans, except Del Monte brand, which I liked. Everyone told me I was
nuts and that they were all the same thing, until one day I happened
to mention this to my grandfather (who was a food broker and thus
knew a bit more about green beans than the average person), and
instead of telling me I was nuts he said, "Well, Del Monte only cans
Blue Lake variety. It could be that you like Blue Lake variety green
beans and not the others." Sure enough he was right -- I found some
store brand Blue Lake green beans and they were the good stuff.

The point being, maybe the terms "butter beans" and "lima beans"
actually do refer to something slightly different. Anyone have any
further information or insights?

- Logan

Emma Thackery 03-03-2007 06:55 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?
>
> What are some easy recipes?

I've never seen frozen limas, either baby or Fordhook, for over
$2.50/lb. $4 a pound is shocking. I usually get the regular Fordhook
limas since I find the baby ones kind of tasteless and mushy. Here in
my part of the midwest, they're on sale once or twice a year for $1/bag.
We love them so I usually buy ten bags when they're on sale. In the
garden, we usually plant pole limas since they are a long-season crop.
They usually do well but last year, with the drought, ours failed and
the deer managed to overcome our defense system. For growing, I
recommend the Christmas/speckled pole variety and sturdy tripods at lest
6 feet high. We'd had very good luck with that one.

We like ours plain with just butter or mixed with corn cut off the cob
(especially grilled corn). Just a tiny bit of bacon added during
cooking gives them a lot of flavor. Fresh limas, right out of the
garden, are just fabulous.

Emma

Steve Pope 03-03-2007 06:57 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

Emma Thackery > wrote:

> Fresh limas, right out of the garden, are just fabulous.

I really hope someday to have the opportunity to have fresh
limas. The same goes for blackeyed peas.

Steve

Penelope Periwinkle 03-03-2007 07:18 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:56:00 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
>garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
>over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
>sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
>like them better than the fresh ones.

*drool*

Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

Penelope

- "pointed" >

Sheldon 03-03-2007 07:45 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

On Mar 3, 7:37�am, "James" > wrote:
> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. *I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. *Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?

Lima beans are slightly more expensive than some other beans because
their pods contain slightly fewer beans on average than say pinto
beans... that said dried limas don't cost more than most dried beans.
Fresh frozen limas are expensive but so would any fresh frozen bean be
just as expensive, which is why therre is a very limited selection of
fresh frozen beans. Beans being high in protein they are more apt to
freezer burn than other frozen veggies... and frozen limas are not
very popular anyway so they don't sell well and so they spoil, and so
those who buy them pay for the waste. If price is a concern then use
dried... all canned beans are made from dried. And butter bean is
just another name for lima bean. But lima beans and baby lima beans
are indeed different beans.

Sheldon

Don K 03-03-2007 07:54 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
..... But lima beans and baby lima beans
are indeed different beans.

Sheldon

Oh man, I wish you hadn't told me that. :-(

Don

Sheldon 03-03-2007 08:28 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

On Mar 3, 12:57�pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Emma Thackery > wrote:
>
> > Fresh limas, right out of the garden, are just fabulous.

> I really hope someday to have the opportunity to have fresh
> limas. *The same goes for blackeyed peas.

If you're going to cook them you'd be hard pressed to tell the
difference between fresh picked and fresh frozen, in fact it can't be
done. The only way to appreciate fresh picked beans of any type is to
eat them raw, in salads or marinated. Except for some ethnic markets
you won't usually find fresh hull beans in the produce section simply
because few people are going to eat raw fresh beans. Most people will
only eat them cooked, so they may as well buy fresh frozen.

Sheldon

Emma Thackery 03-03-2007 08:29 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Emma Thackery > wrote:
>
> > Fresh limas, right out of the garden, are just fabulous.

> I really hope someday to have the opportunity to have fresh
> limas. The same goes for blackeyed peas.

Ohhhhh.... fresh black-eyed peas are one of the best things from the
garden and absolutely nothing like frozen or canned. And, the best news
is that they are very easy to grow. We plant a lot of them and they are
a very sturdy. lush and prolific if you keep them picked. It's best to
tend to or pick them early in the morning before the wasps start
buzzing around them. Never, ever spray them because the wasps are
beneficial & pollinators. This is a crop that nearly takes care of
itself. They grow best planted in 3-4 foot wide rows or slightly
raised beds. Pick them when the pods start to thin but before they turn
yellow or start to dry. Yum yum.

Emma

Emma Thackery 03-03-2007 08:42 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

In article >,
Logan Shaw > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> > Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

> Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
> were different....... [...]

Not technically the same. The term is used kind of like "broad beans" I
think. I can't recall the taxonomy but, in my experience, butter beans
are a different species. The ones we've grown are kind of brownish, not
green like limas. And btw, fresh Blue Lake string beans are among my
favorites too.

Emma

Gregory Morrow[_29_] 03-03-2007 09:28 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:56:00 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
> >I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
> >garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
> >over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
> >sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
> >like them better than the fresh ones.

> *drool*
>
> Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

Me too, I forgot about dried limas. I have all the stuff to make this, will
put the limas on my shopping list. Thanx George...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Chloe 03-03-2007 11:26 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

"Logan Shaw" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

> Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
> were different, and I certainly seem to think that I have a preference
> for butter beans over lima beans. (Hopefully I'm not crazy and basing
> my preference only on the name when the actual food is no different.
> That would be embarrassing.)

<snip>

Some interesting information he

http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FC...tter_Beans.htm

Sheldon 03-03-2007 11:52 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

"Chloe" wrote:

> Some interesting information he
>
> http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FC...tter_Beans.htm

Why you find it interesting I've no idea, I find it intersting in that
it contains incorrect information.

For correct bean information go he http://www.americanbean.org

And he

lima bean
[LY-muh]
This New World bean was named for Lima, Peru, where it was found as
early as 1500. There are two distinct varieties of lima - the Fordhook
and the baby lima (and Fordhooks are not adult baby limas). Both are
pale green, plump-bodied and have a slight kidney-shape curve. The
Fordhook is larger and plumper than the baby lima. It also has a
fuller flavor than its smaller relative. Fresh limas are available
from June to September. They're usually sold in their pods, which
should be plump, firm and dark green. The pods can be refrigerated in
a plastic bag for up to a week. They should be shelled just before
using. Frozen lima beans are available year-round and are labeled
according to variety (Fordhook or baby). Canned and dried limas are
usually labeled "jumbo," "large" or "small," a designation that
relates to size and not variety. In the South, dried limas are
frequently referred to as butter beans . When mottled with purple
they're called calico or speckled butter beans . A traditional way to
serve limas is with corn in SUCCOTASH. They're also used alone as a
side dish, in soups and sometimes in salads. Lima beans contain a good
amount of protein, phosphorus, potassium and iron. The lima is also
called the Madagascar bean . See also BEAN.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

jmcquown 04-03-2007 12:26 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

James wrote:
> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?

I grew lima beans when I was 9 years old in a small plot (about 2 short,
maybe 3 foot rows of them) when we lived in Virginia. It was surprisingly
easy but I was doing it for a science experiment which required me to
dissect the beans to show how the shoots would eventually come up to sprout
flowers and then make new plants. If a 9 year old can do it, you can.
Provided you have the right soil, I guess. And before you ask, I didn't do
anything more than water the tiny plants and wait for the beans to appear on
the plants. I never added any sort of fertilizer; nothing like that. I was
a curious kid. I just checked my plants every day and made sure they were
okay. They were. On a larger scale I'm sure you'd have more to think
about.

You can do a lot with lima beans if you like them. Add them to soups and
stews. Dry them for later use. Or just briefly boil or steam them and
serve them with butter. Maybe some grated cheese. I've never gotten fancy
with lima beans.

Jill

Sheldon 04-03-2007 01:19 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

"jmcquown" wrote:
> You can do a lot with lima beans if you like them. *Add them to soups and
> stews. *Dry them for later use. *Or just briefly boil or steam them and
> serve them with butter. *Maybe some grated cheese.
>*
> I've never gotten fancy with lima beans.

When I was five years old I poked a lima bean up each nostril and had
to be taken to a doctor to have them removed. Is that considered
fancy? LOL

Sheldon

jmcquown 04-03-2007 01:35 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

Sheldon wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> You can do a lot with lima beans if you like them. Add them to soups
>> and stews. Dry them for later use. Or just briefly boil or steam
>> them and serve them with butter. Maybe some grated cheese.
>>
>> I've never gotten fancy with lima beans.

> When I was five years old I poked a lima bean up each nostril and had
> to be taken to a doctor to have them removed. Is that considered
> fancy? LOL
>
> Sheldon

Depends on what the doctor charged! You weren't exactly smart then, were
you? LOL

Jill

Sheldon 04-03-2007 01:45 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

On Mar 3, 7:35�pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote:
> >> You can do a lot with lima beans if you like them. Add them to soups
> >> and stews. Dry them for later use. Or just briefly boil or steam
> >> them and serve them with butter. Maybe some grated cheese.

> >> I've never gotten fancy with lima beans.

> > When I was five years old I poked a lima bean up each nostril and had
> > to be taken to a doctor to have them removed. *Is that considered
> > fancy? LOL

> > Sheldon

> Depends on what the doctor charged! *You weren't exactly smart then, were
> you? LOL

Sure I was, I was very inquisitive. hehe

George Shirley 04-03-2007 02:06 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:56:00 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:
>>

>>>I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
>>>garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
>>>over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
>>>sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
>>>like them better than the fresh ones.

>>*drool*
>>
>>Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

> Me too, I forgot about dried limas. I have all the stuff to make this, will
> put the limas on my shopping list. Thanx George...!!!

You're welcome, sometimes we have to remind each other about good grub,
cheap.

George

Brian 04-03-2007 03:40 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

I did the same thing with barley.

Never met a bean I didn't like.

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Dick Adams[_2_] 04-03-2007 10:30 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

Brian > wrote:

> Never met a bean I didn't like.

String beans have always been my first choice.

Dick

mm 05-03-2007 10:02 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

On Mar 3, 11:42 am, Emma Thackery > wrote:
> In article >,
> Logan Shaw > wrote:
>
> > George Shirley wrote:
> > > Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

> > Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
> > were different....... [...]

> Not technically the same. The term is used kind of like "broad beans" I
> think. I can't recall the taxonomy but, in my experience, butter beans
> are a different species. The ones we've grown are kind of brownish, not
> green like limas. And btw, fresh Blue Lake string beans are among my
> favorites too.
>
> Emma

Lima beans in Asia is white; alos avaialble at American grocery store
in dry form.

mm 05-03-2007 10:08 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

On Mar 3, 11:28 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> On Mar 3, 12:57?pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > Emma Thackery > wrote:

> > > Fresh limas, right out of the garden, are just fabulous.

> > I really hope someday to have the opportunity to have fresh
> > limas. ?The same goes for blackeyed peas.

> If you're going to cook them you'd be hard pressed to tell the
> difference between fresh picked and fresh frozen, in fact it can't be
> done. The only way to appreciate fresh picked beans of any type is to
> eat them raw, in salads or marinated. Except for some ethnic markets
> you won't usually find fresh hull beans in the produce section simply
> because few people are going to eat raw fresh beans. Most people will
> only eat them cooked, so they may as well buy fresh frozen.
>
> Sheldon

By fresh, do you eman raw beans (after soaking in water or after
boiling)?

Lima beans have a chemical that is toxic and must be released by
boiling off.....

mm 05-03-2007 10:14 AM

Anyone vere used dill w/ lima beans?

Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
before removing the heat.

I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

Gregory Morrow[_29_] 05-03-2007 10:15 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

George Shirley wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

hot

> >>*drool*
> >>
> >>Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

> > Me too, I forgot about dried limas. I have all the stuff to make this,

will
> > put the limas on my shopping list. Thanx George...!!!
> >

> You're welcome, sometimes we have to remind each other about good grub,
> cheap.

This is the kind of stuff we ate often when growing up, I grew up by the
Mississippi in Illinois so at times we had lotsa catfish, smoked sturgeon,
river/lake perch, carp, plus whatever we had from the garden (I remember
being a real tiny kid and eating fried rabbit and squirrel that my older
brothers had hunted). Now this kind of stuff can be seen on big - city
fancy resto menus, it's "deconstructed" and then reconstructed (more often
than not it's more like "misconstrued") as "American Classic Cuisine" and
served at 20++ bucks per plate (and a miniscule portion to boot). When I
was a kid nobody told us it was "poor food"...

Gawd I cringe when I see morel mushrooms in the stupormarket here in
Chicawgo for $39.95/lb, when I was a kid we'd pick gunnysacks full and we
gave most away, if you had charged for them you would have been dragged off
and committed to the County Home...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Omelet 05-03-2007 10:24 AM

Anyone vere used dill w/ lima beans?

In article .com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
> using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
> before removing the heat.
>
> I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
> don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

I don't eat Lima beans (can't stand 'em!) but I do often use dill with
steamed veggie dishes. Fish too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Goomba38 05-03-2007 10:30 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

mm wrote:

> By fresh, do you eman raw beans (after soaking in water or after
> boiling)?
>
> Lima beans have a chemical that is toxic and must be released by
> boiling off.....

To clarify what you said...from the Floridata website
http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/phas_lun.cfm

WILD lima beans have high concentrations of cyanogens and have caused
serious cyanide poisonings.
Some people are sensitive to the small amounts of cyanogenic glucosides
in domestic lima beans and cannot eat them.
Cooking removes most of these toxic compounds. Lima beans, including
sprouted limas, probably should not be eaten raw

mm 05-03-2007 11:06 AM

On Mar 5, 1:24 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> "mm" > wrote:
> > Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
> > using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
> > before removing the heat.

> > I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
> > don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

> I don't eat Lima beans (can't stand 'em!) but I do often use dill with
> steamed veggie dishes. Fish too.

I never used with steam veges. I should try. I love dill btu never
knew where to use to finish off the big bunch you get in an Asian
store.

Omelet 05-03-2007 01:39 PM

"mm" > wrote:

> On Mar 5, 1:24 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> >
> > "mm" > wrote:
> > > Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
> > > using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
> > > before removing the heat.

> > > I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
> > > don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

> > I don't eat Lima beans (can't stand 'em!) but I do often use dill with
> > steamed veggie dishes. Fish too.

> I never used with steam veges. I should try. I love dill btu never
> knew where to use to finish off the big bunch you get in an Asian
> store.

I often dry the large bunches I get at the asian market and store in a
jar. I use them on just about any steamed veggie as well as grilled fish
and sauteed shrimps.

Take 1 lb. of peeled and deveined shrimp and toss into a skillet in a
mix of hot butter and olive oil. Add a light sprinkling of garlic
powder, a generous amount of dried (or fresh) dill weed and a bit of
salt free lemon pepper.

Stir gently until all of the shrimp is pink.

Serve over steamed veggies, pasta, or rice.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

James[_1_] 05-03-2007 04:32 PM

Anyone vere used dill w/ lima beans?

Boiled a pound package worth of frozen ones in chicken soup. Suprised
that I didn't toot too much. Don't know if limas are less gasy or if
it's because frozen is less gasy than canned beans.

Emma Thackery 05-03-2007 09:41 PM

"mm" > wrote:

> Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
> using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
> before removing the heat.
>
> I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
> don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

Are you sure you're not talking about fava beans? The skins on limas is
onion-skin thin.

Rick 11-03-2007 06:41 AM

Frozen Lima Beans

Don K wrote:

> "James" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > What are some easy recipes?

> I love lima beans.
>
> Put some in a cereal bowl,
> add a bit of water,
> cover with a saucer,
> and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.
>
> It can't get much easier than that!
>
> Don

How about "Easy #2"?

I like Lima beans with cottage cheese on the side. Doesn't need much
dressing up - just a touch of salt on both and some black pepper on the
cottage cheese. I can make a very filling meal out of that with only two
ingredients.

Rick

mm 11-03-2007 05:19 PM

On Mar 5, 1:41 pm, Emma Thackery > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> "mm" > wrote:
> > Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
> > using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
> > before removing the heat.

> > I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
> > don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

> Are you sure you're not talking about fava beans? The skins on limas is
> onion-skin thin.

Yes, I am sure. We never ate the skin back home.

Emma Thackery 11-03-2007 08:26 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

In article >, Rick > wrote:

> I like Lima beans with cottage cheese on the side. Doesn't need much
> dressing up - just a touch of salt on both and some black pepper on the
> cottage cheese. I can make a very filling meal out of that with only two
> ingredients.

You don't find cottage cheese already salty enough? Does the cottage
cheese making process require so much salt or is it just a common
practice?

Tonto Goldstein 18-04-2007 12:46 PM

Frozen Lima Beans

James wrote:

> Are they hard to grow?

Not so much, but digging a hole in the ice to plant the seedlings can be
a real bitch.

--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.