Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quiz: Do you like Lima Beans?

I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
I call butter beans).

Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.

Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh peas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
>about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
>I call butter beans).
>
>Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
>Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh peas

Love 'em.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Do you hate them?

YES!!!!! You can have my portion.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

>I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
>about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
>I call butter beans).

Yes. I like to prepare them in the same fashion as I do
black-eyed peas: seasoned with olive oil, black pepper and
cider (not wine) vinegar.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> >Do you hate them?

> YES!!!!! You can have my portion.
>
> Carol

I dislike them... husband loves them. Since I do the inside of house
cooking he won't be getting them unless he can figure out how to cook them
on a Big Green Egg or a gas grill. He does the outside cooking.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

No. Hell no.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you like Lima Beans?

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour
> (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh
> peas

I absolutely love them. I grow them every year. My wife and daughter
despise them, however.

--
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.

That is one vegetable that I really don't care for at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Do you hate them?

>> YES!!!!! You can have my portion.
>>
>> Carol

> I dislike them... husband loves them. Since I do the inside of house
> cooking he won't be getting them unless he can figure out how to cook
> them on a Big Green Egg or a gas grill. He does the outside cooking.
>
> Chris

Heh, I can tell him how to cook them on the grill. Got a grill safe metal
saucepan?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wroteon July 20, 2006:

> Do you like them? Do you hate them? [lima beans]

If they're fresh, I very much like them. Frozen are ok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love lima beans. I like them alone, in succotash, in soup. I can't
think of a bean I don't like.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Do you like them? Do you hate them?

You've heard my opinion before--UGH! They are
little packets of starch in plastic wrappers.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour
> (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh
> peas

I don't like them, but I'd be willing to try them fresh, steamed and
dripping in butter...the only way I've had them so far is from
frozen/overcooked.

My dad loves them any way they're made. When he and Mom got married, he'd
insist on lima beans one night...she'd follow the next night with brussel
sprouts (he hated those).

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> > Do you like them? Do you hate them?

> You've heard my opinion before--UGH! They are
> little packets of starch in plastic wrappers.

LMAO. You have described them perfectly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.

I've loved them since I was a chubby li'l' child. (Fresh, that is...)

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh peas

I'll add my voice to those who are fond of limas -- hell, I even like
the canned ones! For dried bean recipes, I would use something else,
but fresh, frozen (or canned) limas are fine with me.

The only beans I _don't_ like are (red) kidney beans and black-eyed peas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> >Do you hate them?

> YES!!!!! You can have my portion.
>
> Carol

Mine too. Blech.

Alexis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote: I hear so many people malign this poor bean <snip>

Yes, I love the green limas; always have loved them. Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:

Hate.......HATE them. One of my worst veggie moments growing up in Scotland.

Elaine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Garbo wrote:
> Jill wrote: I hear so many people malign this poor bean <snip>
>
> Yes, I love the green limas; always have loved them. Carol
>
> Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
> are here, we may as well dance!

--------------------
My family liked lima beans and pieces of ham, with a rich white sauce
flavored well with mustard.
And, of course, succotash with Lots of corn.

Cheers, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.

I am so so on lima beans. If someone I know serves me a meal that
includes lima beans, I will eat them. On the other hand, I have never
cooked any lima beans, other than in soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour
> (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh
> peas

Believe it or not, limas and spinach are my two favorite vegs. I trust you
loaded your nicely steamed fresh limas with butter and pepper.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm
>> talking about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow
>> in colour (which
>> I call butter beans).
>>
>> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to
>> know.
>>
>> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the
>> fresh peas

> Believe it or not, limas and spinach are my two favorite vegs. I
> trust you loaded your nicely steamed fresh limas with butter and
> pepper.
>
> Felice

You trust correctly! I steamed them over salted water and then when I
spooned them up, butter and freshly ground black pepper. Yum!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 20 Jul 2006 05:23:50p, jmcquown meant to say...

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour
> (which I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh
> peas

Yes, I like them, especially in homemade succotash.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Be kind to your inferiors, if you can find any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> Carol Garbo wrote:
>> Jill wrote: I hear so many people malign this poor bean <snip>
>>
>> Yes, I love the green limas; always have loved them. Carol
>>
>> Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while
>> we are here, we may as well dance!

> --------------------
> My family liked lima beans and pieces of ham, with a rich white sauce
> flavored well with mustard.
> And, of course, succotash with Lots of corn.
>
> Cheers, Nancree

Well, I suppose that's one way to "hide" the lima bean. I have nothing
against cooking the dried ones soaked and simmered with bits of ham or bacon
but then hiding them in a white sauce with mustard? Ugh. I can see why no
one would like that!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

at Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:23:50 GMT in
(jmcquown) wrote :

>I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
>about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour
>(which I call butter beans).
>
>Do you like them? Do you hate them?

Love them. I suspect, though, that many of the people who don't like them
have only experienced them badly overcooked. When overcooked, lima beans do
indeed turn mushy and become the "little packets of starch in plastic
wrappers" another poster >) described them as.
You only need toss them into boiling water and wait till the water returns
to the boil. Any more time is virtually bean abuse.

However, I'd love to hear from the bean-haters - what, specifically, do you
hate about limas? Can you pinpoint an aspect of the flavour (or is it a
texture thing?) that turns you off?

One thing I *don't* like (on beans, peas, or for that matter most
vegetables), is butter. I don't like it because the strong, soft dairy
flavour of butter clashes horribly with the typical vegetal flavour of good
fresh beans, peas, etc. However, I suppose if the legumes in concern were
badly overcooked, it wouldn't be so bad. In that case since by that point
they would taste entirely starchy perhaps a little butter would improve the
flavour a bit. But again, why overcook in the first place?

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour
> (which I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.

Jill, this is a POLL. Not a quiz.

That being said, I like lima beans just fine. I like butter beans even
better. ("Lima is finah, but buttah is bettah.")

For those who don't like them, the best way I've seen to disguise lima beans
is to purée them and use the purée to thicken soup. The fesenjan recipe in
_The Bold Vegetarian_ is like that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Puester wrote:
>

> > > Do you like them? Do you hate them?

> > You've heard my opinion before--UGH! They are
> > little packets of starch in plastic wrappers.
> >

> LMAO. You have described them perfectly.

I was going to say the same thing. :~) The only way I can stomach them
is in soup with ham.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

>>> You've heard my opinion before--UGH! They are
>>> little packets of starch in plastic wrappers.
>>>

>> LMAO. You have described them perfectly.
>>

> I was going to say the same thing. :~) The only way I can stomach
> them is in soup with ham.
>
> kili

Except you don't like ham! (laughing)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> kilikini wrote:

> >> LMAO. You have described them perfectly.
> >>

> > I was going to say the same thing. :~) The only way I can stomach
> > them is in soup with ham.
> >
> > kili

> Except you don't like ham! (laughing)
>
> Jill

I'll eat it in soup!

kili < ---- who is making mahi mahi fried rice today. I'm so excited!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm
>> talking about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow
>> in colour (which I call butter beans).
>>
>> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to
>> know.

> Jill, this is a POLL. Not a quiz.

Nope... was a pop-quiz... remember those in school? You don't get to
prepare for your answers, you simply have to have one

> That being said, I like lima beans just fine. I like butter beans even
> better. ("Lima is finah, but buttah is bettah.")

LOLOL

> For those who don't like them, the best way I've seen to disguise
> lima beans is to purée them and use the purée to thicken soup.

Oh dear... I just add them whole to vegetable soup but I must admit those
are the frozen ones, not fresh. *never canned*, which I suspect put so many
people off of limas.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh peas

While I've learned to appreciate a LOT of foods I disliked as a
teenager, (onions for one and a number of other things), I still detest
Limas with a passion, and Bell Peppers.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Chris Marksberry wrote:
> > "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> >> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown"

> >> YES!!!!! You can have my portion.
> >>
> >> Carol

> > I dislike them... husband loves them. Since I do the inside of house
> > cooking he won't be getting them unless he can figure out how to cook
> > them on a Big Green Egg or a gas grill. He does the outside cooking.
> >
> > Chris

> Heh, I can tell him how to cook them on the grill. Got a grill safe metal
> saucepan?
>
> Jill

It's called cast iron luv. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.

I'm CRAZY about lima beans. Any kind of bean for that matter, but I
really love limas...big ones, small ones, fresh ones, dried
ones....fortunately my husband loves them too, very unusual for us to
really like the same thing!
My usual quick method for the frozen bagged kind is to simmer them in
water with a healthy spoon of Penzey's Sunny Spain seasoning (their
version of lemon pepper) with salt and a dab of butter.
My husband's grandmother taught me to cook the big dried ones with ham
and serve with corn bread....great winter meal!

Sandy (who now needs limas for dinner tonight!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour (which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them?

I love them. Lima beans and butter beans are synonymous, exactly the
same bean... but typically the hillybillys call them butter beans. The
color hasn't a whit to do with anything other than soil/climate
conditions where grown, whether fresh or dried/frozen or canned, and
how cooked.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> > You've heard my opinion before--UGH! They are
>> > little packets of starch in plastic wrappers.

I always hated them, because I had only had them canned or frozen over the
years. However, last year we had lunch with DH's cousin. She picked and
shelled young limas right out of the garden for our lunch and they were
delicious. They weren't mealy or covered in plastic, which is what I
dislike about the supermarket kind.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> jmcquown wrote:
> > I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> > about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour

(which
> > I call butter beans).
> >
> > Do you like them? Do you hate them?

> I love them. Lima beans and butter beans are synonymous, exactly the
> same bean... but typically the hillybillys call them butter beans. The
> color hasn't a whit to do with anything other than soil/climate
> conditions where grown, whether fresh or dried/frozen or canned, and
> how cooked.
>
> Sheldon

Homegrown limas were green, both fresh and dried. Butterbeans are a white
or tannish white. My father grew both, in the same soil. Butter beans
often reached the size of a quarter.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I hear so many people malign this poor bean. I love them. I'm talking
> about the green ones, not the ones that are brownish-yellow in colour

(which
> I call butter beans).
>
> Do you like them? Do you hate them? This curious mind wants to know.
>
> Jill <--who steamed fresh limas at the last minute instead of the fresh

peas

love limas. kids hate them, call them 'moma beans' from eldest child's
speech impediment when younger and it stuck since I'm the only one who likes
them. What I cannot stand is the Pennsylvania dutch way of cooking them.
'Baked Limas' substitutes limas for white beans in a pork and bean mixture
of tomato sauce, sugar, salt pork and other mixtures of spices that make the
canned generic pork and beans actually look appetizing.
-ginny