Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default the demise of the Birds Eye frozen Fordhook lima bean

So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
of my usual peas. Come to find out no one in town carries
the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. The very idea!

It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. It has been
my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
of frozen veggies pretty much suck. Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. As
for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. I *hate*
baby limas.

So, now what am I going to do???? What a revoltin' development
this is!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:41:03 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>of my usual peas.

I have been having a very hard time finding Ford hook Limas also.
Don't understand why. Not being a brand maven, it's not a
problem buying and serving store brands. Actually, they are very
available for most items.

We have tinkered with lima beans and have a nice variation on the
vegetable. The raspberry vinegar adds a nice "bite".

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Lima Beans

vegetables

10 oz lima beans, frozen
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 pinch sugar
1 tb pimentos, chopped

In a small saucepan, bring lima beans to a boil with the water. Cover
and
simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up beans.

Transfer beans and cooking liquid to food processor and add remaining
ingredients. Process until the consistency of smooth mashed potatoes.
Serve immediately and top with a few chopped pimento for color.

Yield: 4 servings

Bon Apptit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-11-21, Kate Connally > wrote:

> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
> of frozen veggies pretty much suck.

It's been my experience that any frozen lima bean of any kind pretty much
sucks. The bean skin is always too tough. I completely avoided lima beans
of any kind for decades until a friend introduced me to dried lima beans and
showed me how to cook them. Just boil in hot water at rolling boil till
done. No pre-soaking. The skins become a thin diaphonous whisper of a
skin, not tough and chewy as old rubber.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 4:41�pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
> of my usual peas. �Come to find out no one in town carries
> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
> Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
> Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. �The very idea!
>
> It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
> but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. �It has been
> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
> of frozen veggies pretty much suck. �Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
> Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. �As
> for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. �I *hate*
> baby limas.
>
> So, now what am I going to do???? �What a revoltin' development
> this is!

Fordhook lima beans are the nomal large lima bean. Baby lima beans
are a separate variety, they are not a immature Fordhook.

I can't imagine any brand of frozen fordhooks being any differnt from
another. Essentially the biggest affect on frozen veggie quality is
how well does a store keep them frozen. Lima beans are not a popular
veggie to begin with, let alone the large fordhook, probably why Birds
Eye dropped them, but there are many other brands.

http://www.pictsweet.com/premdetail.shtml#family
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Nov 21, 4:41�pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>> of my usual peas. �Come to find out no one in town carries
>> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
>> Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
>> Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. �The very idea!
>>
>> It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
>> but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. �It has been
>> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
>> of frozen veggies pretty much suck. �Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
>> Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. �As
>> for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. �I *hate*
>> baby limas.
>>
>> So, now what am I going to do???? �What a revoltin' development
>> this is!

> Fordhook lima beans are the nomal large lima bean. Baby lima beans
> are a separate variety, they are not a immature Fordhook.
>
> I can't imagine any brand of frozen fordhooks being any differnt from
> another. Essentially the biggest affect on frozen veggie quality is
> how well does a store keep them frozen. Lima beans are not a popular
> veggie to begin with, let alone the large fordhook, probably why Birds
> Eye dropped them, but there are many other brands.
>
> http://www.pictsweet.com/premdetail.shtml#family

Yep. I think the last time I bought Fordhook's (love 'em, they've got such
a bad rep) it was Pictsweet brand. But the store brand is no different. I
think they're pretty much all processed in the same place(s) and simply get
different brands/labels slapped on them. I love Fordhook lima beans. It's
not like they've fallen off the face of the earth

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 4:41?pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>>> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>>> of my usual peas. ?Come to find out no one in town carries
>>> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
>>> Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
>>> Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. ?The very idea!
>>>
>>> It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
>>> but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. ?It has been
>>> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
>>> of frozen veggies pretty much suck. ?Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
>>> Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. ?As
>>> for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. ?I *hate*
>>> baby limas.
>>>
>>> So, now what am I going to do???? ?What a revoltin' development
>>> this is!

>> Fordhook lima beans are the nomal large lima bean. Baby lima beans
>> are a separate variety, they are not a immature Fordhook.
>>
>> I can't imagine any brand of frozen fordhooks being any differnt from
>> another. Essentially the biggest affect on frozen veggie quality is
>> how well does a store keep them frozen. Lima beans are not a popular
>> veggie to begin with, let alone the large fordhook, probably why Birds
>> Eye dropped them, but there are many other brands.
>>
>> http://www.pictsweet.com/premdetail.shtml#family

> Yep. I think the last time I bought Fordhook's (love 'em, they've got
> such a bad rep) it was Pictsweet brand. But the store brand is no
> different. I think they're pretty much all processed in the same place(s)
> and simply get different brands/labels slapped on them. I love Fordhook
> lima beans. It's not like they've fallen off the face of the earth
>
> Jill

That's exactly true. I used to work for a major vegetable producer, so I
know. After we'd frozen or canned the major label, we'd package for private
labels out of the same batch. That being said, there are some private
labels that use lower grade veggies than the premium A grade quality. I
found that most of the lower grade private labels were packed for southern
state grocery chains or for overseas, or so it seemed. It's been a long
time, so I can't remember which brands were the same as the A grade and
which were B grade, unfortunately. On the plus side, although B grade was
never substituted when A was in short supply, we would substitute A grade
product for B grade labels when necessary.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 7:45 pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> I believe that Fordhook is also known (espeically in southern USA) as butter
> bean.

Oh, never knew that. My other half can eat em right out of the can.
I use em to make a quick hummus with tahini and garlic. My local
Savalot sells em under the Diane's Garden brand name - dirt cheap
too. Diane's Garden tomatoes in the can are not bad either - about 49
cents a can. I use em when I'm out of puree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
> of my usual peas. Come to find out no one in town carries
> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
> Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
> Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. The very idea!

Birds Eye Fordhook Limas were my very favorite frozen vegetable, since
childhood (and I'm in my late 40's). I love them enormously:-( I had
noticed that it became increasingly difficult to find them in recent
years. I've still got a stash of them in my freezer. I'd been
parceling them out slowly, but I guess I should use them, since having
to throw them out because of freezer burn would add insult to injury.

Grumble.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cryambers wrote:

> Birds Eye Fordhook Limas were my very favorite frozen vegetable, since
> childhood (and I'm in my late 40's). I love them enormously:-( I had
> noticed that it became increasingly difficult to find them in recent
> years. I've still got a stash of them in my freezer. I'd been
> parceling them out slowly, but I guess I should use them, since having
> to throw them out because of freezer burn would add insult to injury.
>
> Grumble.
>
> pat

I dunno how but my kids love 'em. I never went out of my way to serve
them yet they picked up the taste for them.
Strange how that happens?
I find them gaggy starchy. <shiver!>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> On Nov 21, 7:45 pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

>> I believe that Fordhook is also known (espeically in southern USA)
>> as butter bean.

> Oh, never knew that. My other half can eat em right out of the can.
> I use em to make a quick hummus with tahini and garlic. My local
> Savalot sells em under the Diane's Garden brand name - dirt cheap
> too. Diane's Garden tomatoes in the can are not bad either - about 49
> cents a can. I use em when I'm out of puree.

Ah, the great "butter bean" debate! I'm telling you, butter beans are not
Fordhook limas! Butter beans are brown. Well, tan Yellowish, even.
And sometimes they are speckled, yes. Fordhook lima beans are plump fat
very green beans that burst in your mouth when you bite into them! Dang,
now I want to make some of these for Thanksgiving! Might just have to do
two vegetables for Thanksgiving. Shay (the CNA) likes broccoli so that's a
safe one. Who knows? she might even like Fordhooks!

Jill <---starting another grocery list

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 22 Nov 2008 12:21:33a, jmcquown told us...

> val189 wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 7:45 pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>>

>>> I believe that Fordhook is also known (espeically in southern USA)
>>> as butter bean.

>> Oh, never knew that. My other half can eat em right out of the can.
>> I use em to make a quick hummus with tahini and garlic. My local
>> Savalot sells em under the Diane's Garden brand name - dirt cheap
>> too. Diane's Garden tomatoes in the can are not bad either - about 49
>> cents a can. I use em when I'm out of puree.

> Ah, the great "butter bean" debate! I'm telling you, butter beans are
> not Fordhook limas! Butter beans are brown. Well, tan Yellowish,
> even. And sometimes they are speckled, yes. Fordhook lima beans are
> plump fat very green beans that burst in your mouth when you bite into
> them! Dang, now I want to make some of these for Thanksgiving! Might
> just have to do two vegetables for Thanksgiving. Shay (the CNA) likes
> broccoli so that's a safe one. Who knows? she might even like
> Fordhooks!
>
> Jill <---starting another grocery list

I did all my shopping for Thanksgiving this afternoon. Decided to make
old-fashioned succotash. Fordhook limas, whole kernel corn, some butter,
heavy cream, and a light sprinkle of thyme.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
4dys 23hrs 31mins
A soft answer turneth away wrath. - Proverbs 15:1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:
> val189 wrote:
> > On Nov 21, 7:45 p wrote:

> >> I believe that Fordhook is also known (espeically in southern USA)
> >> as butter bean.

> > Oh, never knew that. �My other half can eat em right out of the can.
> > I use em to make a quick hummus with tahini and garlic. �My local
> > Savalot sells em under the Diane's Garden brand name - dirt cheap
> > too. �Diane's Garden tomatoes in the can are not bad either - about 49
> > cents a can. � I use em when I'm out of puree.

> Ah, the great "butter bean" debate! �I'm telling you, butter beans are not
> Fordhook limas! �Butter beans are brown. �Well, tan �Yellowish, even.
> And sometimes they are speckled, yes. �

You're wrong, Jill... butter beans is simply southern speak for
fordhooks. And color has nothing whatsoever to do with it, various
soils impart particular minerals that sometime stain as they're
dissolved in the cooking liquid and often when vegetables are cooked
(heated) they acquire various shades, especially when cooked in the
can with minimal liquid and not drained... canned limas are usually
shades of light brownish yellow (ecru/taupe?) because the minerals
leached from the bean become concentrated in the small amount of
liquid and actually dye the bean... most southerners obviously only
eat canned beans because they don't cook much from scratch. LOL

---> http://www.ochef.com/52.htm

Today I'll be making bean soup... I have three pounds of dried navy
beans and a mess 'o smoked ham hocks and lots of veggies... onions,
celery, carrots, collards, green beans, okra, garlic, last of the
parsley before it freezes... soup means clean out the fridge day. I'm
thinking my 16 quart pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Cryambers wrote:
> > Birds Eye Fordhook Limas were my very favorite frozen vegetable, since
> > childhood (and I'm in my late 40's). �I love them enormously:-( �I had
> > noticed that it became increasingly difficult to find them in recent
> > years. �I've still got a stash of them in my freezer. �I'd been
> > parceling them out slowly, but I guess I should use them, since having
> > to throw them out because of freezer burn would add insult to injury.

> > Grumble.

> > pat

> I dunno how but my kids love 'em. I never went out of my way to serve
> them yet they picked up the taste for them.
> Strange how that happens?
> I find them gaggy starchy. <shiver!>

Frozen limas are frozen fresh, not dried. If yours are starchy you
didn't cook them long enough.... simmer about 30 minutes, do not
boil. Unlike other beans canned limas are also processed from fresh,
often over processed which is why they're typically mushy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.247...
> On Sat 22 Nov 2008 12:21:33a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> val189 wrote:

>>> Oh, never knew that. My other half can eat em right out of the can.
>>> I use em to make a quick hummus with tahini and garlic. My local
>>> Savalot sells em under the Diane's Garden brand name - dirt cheap
>>> too. Diane's Garden tomatoes in the can are not bad either - about 49
>>> cents a can. I use em when I'm out of puree.

>> Ah, the great "butter bean" debate! I'm telling you, butter beans are
>> not Fordhook limas! Butter beans are brown. Well, tan Yellowish,
>> even. And sometimes they are speckled, yes. Fordhook lima beans are
>> plump fat very green beans that burst in your mouth when you bite into
>> them! Dang, now I want to make some of these for Thanksgiving! Might
>> just have to do two vegetables for Thanksgiving. Shay (the CNA) likes
>> broccoli so that's a safe one. Who knows? she might even like
>> Fordhooks!
>>
>> Jill <---starting another grocery list
>>

> I did all my shopping for Thanksgiving this afternoon. Decided to make
> old-fashioned succotash. Fordhook limas, whole kernel corn, some butter,
> heavy cream, and a light sprinkle of thyme.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

SUCCOTASH! I made that last year & went over quite well, I'd forgotten that.
Better add that the ingredients to my shopping list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Today I'll be making bean soup... I have three pounds of dried navy
> beans and a mess 'o smoked ham hocks and lots of veggies... onions,
> celery, carrots, collards, green beans, okra, garlic, last of the
> parsley before it freezes... soup means clean out the fridge day. �I'm
> thinking my 16 quart pot.

Been (bean) cooking all day...

The pot!
http://i34.tinypic.com/fcjh5h.jpg

Move in for a look see:
http://i34.tinypic.com/14loxuh.jpg

Dig in:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2aj4136.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>> Today I'll be making bean soup... I have three pounds of dried navy
>> beans and a mess 'o smoked ham hocks and lots of veggies... onions,
>> celery, carrots, collards, green beans, okra, garlic, last of the
>> parsley before it freezes... soup means clean out the fridge day. �I'm
>> thinking my 16 quart pot.

> Been (bean) cooking all day...
>
> The pot!
> http://i34.tinypic.com/fcjh5h.jpg
>
> Move in for a look see:
> http://i34.tinypic.com/14loxuh.jpg
>
> Dig in:
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2aj4136.jpg

That looks yummy--and based on the weather here (near Boston), it
is a great day to both cook and eat it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 8:33�pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >> Today I'll be making bean soup... I have three pounds of dried navy
> >> beans and a mess 'o smoked ham hocks and lots of veggies... onions,
> >> celery, carrots, collards, green beans, okra, garlic, last of the
> >> parsley before it freezes... soup means clean out the fridge day. I'm
> >> thinking my 16 quart pot.

> > Been (bean) cooking all day...

> > The pot!
> >http://i34.tinypic.com/fcjh5h.jpg

> > Move in for a look see:
> >http://i34.tinypic.com/14loxuh.jpg

> > Dig in:
> >http://i37.tinypic.com/2aj4136.jpg

> That looks yummy--and based on the weather here (near Boston), it
> is a great day to both cook and eat it.

Twelve degrees F. this AM in the Catskills... perfect soup day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Twelve degrees F. this AM in the Catskills... perfect soup day.

Even colder than here, as one might expect. It had been about 17F
when I got downstairs the last few days.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-11-21, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
>> of frozen veggies pretty much suck.

> It's been my experience that any frozen lima bean of any kind pretty much
> sucks. The bean skin is always too tough.

I have not found that to be the case, but then I only eat
Birds Eye. Maybe other brand and generic are of lesser
quality and have tougher skins.

> I completely avoided lima beans
> of any kind for decades until a friend introduced me to dried lima beans and
> showed me how to cook them. Just boil in hot water at rolling boil till
> done. No pre-soaking. The skins become a thin diaphonous whisper of a
> skin, not tough and chewy as old rubber.

Yeah, but dried limas are a totally different thing. I love
dried limas but they're not the same as green fresh or frozen
limas. You can't really replace one with the other. Although
I do have a great Brunswick Stew recipe which uses dried limas
instead of the traditional green limas. I like B. S. both ways
but like the dried limas better. Nevertheless I have no desire
to substitute dried for green in my vegetable soup.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 4:41�pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>>> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>>> of my usual peas. �Come to find out no one in town carries
>>> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
>>> Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
>>> Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. �The very idea!
>>>
>>> It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
>>> but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. �It has been
>>> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
>>> of frozen veggies pretty much suck. �Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
>>> Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. �As
>>> for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. �I *hate*
>>> baby limas.
>>>
>>> So, now what am I going to do???? �What a revoltin' development
>>> this is!

>> Fordhook lima beans are the nomal large lima bean. Baby lima beans
>> are a separate variety, they are not a immature Fordhook.
>>
>> I can't imagine any brand of frozen fordhooks being any differnt from
>> another. Essentially the biggest affect on frozen veggie quality is
>> how well does a store keep them frozen. Lima beans are not a popular
>> veggie to begin with, let alone the large fordhook, probably why Birds
>> Eye dropped them, but there are many other brands.
>>
>> http://www.pictsweet.com/premdetail.shtml#family

> Yep. I think the last time I bought Fordhook's (love 'em, they've got
> such a bad rep) it was Pictsweet brand. But the store brand is no
> different. I think they're pretty much all processed in the same
> place(s) and simply get different brands/labels slapped on them. I love
> Fordhook lima beans. It's not like they've fallen off the face of the
> earth
>
> Jill

It's been my experience that the non-Birds Eye frozen veggies I have
tried are of poor quality. Maybe the process all the brands at the
same place and sort out the best ones for Birds Eye and put the
"seconds" in the other boxes. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 21-Nov-2008, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>> It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
>> but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. It has been
>> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
>> of frozen veggies pretty much suck. Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
>> Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. As
>> for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. I *hate*
>> baby limas.
>>
>> So, now what am I going to do???? What a revoltin' development
>> this is!
>>
>> Kate

> I believe that Fordhook is also known (espeically in southern USA) as butter
> bean. Pictsweet brand of frozen vegetables includes both butter beans
> (Fordhook?) and speckled butter beans. I have tried the speckled and found
> them to be of good quality; I have not yet tried the butter beans, but have
> been pleased with every Pictsweet product I've tried.

I've seen butter beans and they are not green - they're sort of
yellowish. Fordhooks are green.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's exactly what I think too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 May 2016 14:59:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>That's exactly what I think too!

You do?!? Thanks for letting us know. I'll alert the major media
outlets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2016 4:07 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2016 14:59:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> That's exactly what I think too!

> You do?!? Thanks for letting us know. I'll alert the major media
> outlets.

Do you have time what with slaughtering all those bunnies?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If I was making succotash I'd use yellow corn and light red kidney beans, it's be very pretty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 4:59:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> That's exactly what I think too!

Another eight year old thread with a meaningless reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm having same problem. Can't make green Lima bean soup without them. Lois in Maryland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 21, 2008 at 3:41:03 PM UTC-6, Kate Connally wrote:
> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
> of my usual peas. Come to find out no one in town carries
> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.
> Come to find out further that they don't make them anymore.
> Called Birds Eye and let them have what for. The very idea!
> It seems Giant Eagle has their own store brand of frozen Fordhooks
> but I'm very skeptical that they will be satisfactory. It has been
> my experience in the past that store brands and other lesser brands
> of frozen veggies pretty much suck. Therefore I only buy Birds Eye.
> Green Giant is okay, but they just don't make anything I like. As
> for limas they only have the baby limas in "butter" sauce. I *hate*
> baby limas.
> So, now what am I going to do???? What a revoltin' development
> this is!
> Kate
> --
> Kate Connally
> If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
> Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off.
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with you...the others have no clue!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 7:40:24 PM UTC-6, Cherl West wrote:

> On Friday, November 21, 2008 Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
> > of my usual peas.

> I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with you...the others have no clue!)

Why in the Hell did you wait t.w.e.l.v.e. y.e.a.r.s. (12) to tell us this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2020 8:40 PM, Cherl West wrote:
> On Friday, November 21, 2008 at 3:41:03 PM UTC-6, Kate Connally wrote:
>> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>> of my usual peas. Come to find out no one in town carries
>> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.

(snippage)

> I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with you...the others have no clue!)

Oh dear... where ever did you dredge up this 2008 post? Don't bother to
reply. I can figure it out.

Never fear, even though Kate hasn't posted here in a decade those frozen
Fordhooks have not disappeared. Might be different brand names or even
store brands but they're still around. And NO, do NOT boil them in
"sugar water" or top them with brown butter. Not if you like the taste
of Fordhook lima beans.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 17:46:43 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 7:40:24 PM UTC-6, Cherl West wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, ? ? ? November 21, 2008 ? ? ? Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>> > So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>> > of my usual peas.

>> I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with you...the others have no clue!)
>>

>Why in the Hell did you wait t.w.e.l.v.e. y.e.a.r.s. (12) to tell us this?

Maybe she only just read it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 21:01:48 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2020 8:40 PM, Cherl West wrote:
>> On Friday, November 21, 2008 at 3:41:03 PM UTC-6, Kate Connally wrote:
>>> So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
>>> of my usual peas. Come to find out no one in town carries
>>> the good old-fashioned Birds Eye frozen Fordhooks anymore.

>(snippage)
>
>> I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with you...the others have no clue!)
>>

>Oh dear... where ever did you dredge up this 2008 post? Don't bother to
>reply. I can figure it out.

Why did you ask then?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 8:02:20 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 17:46:43 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >> I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with you...the others have no clue!)
> >>

> >Why in the Hell did you wait t.w.e.l.v.e. y.e.a.r.s. (12) to tell us this?
> >

> Maybe she only just read it.

Maybe Bozo just can't read very well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 7:40:24 PM UTC-6, Cherl West wrote:

> On Friday, November 21, 2008 Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > So, this year I decided to have lima beans for Tday instead
> > of my usual peas.

> I LOVE Fordhook Lima Beans and do not care what anyone says...Fordhooks
> are the ONLY Lima's beans worth eating. Boil in sugar water and top with
> brown butter...nothing better! MISS my frozen Fordhooks!!! (Agree with
> you...the others have no clue!)

Why in the Hell did you wait t.w.e.l.v.e. y.e.a.r.s. (12) to tell us this?

She's still looking for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Why did you ask then?

something to talk about.

they're pretty easy to grow.

and they're so good picked when they are still fresh and
green instead of all dried then they can be cooked/steamed.
we eat them as much as we can get out and pick, shell and
cook.

frozen are ok, but home grown are a few steps up.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> and they're so good picked when they are still fresh and
> green instead of all dried then they can be cooked/steamed.
> we eat them as much as we can get out and pick, shell and
> cook.

I found a several month old leftover pint of lima bean soup
in my freezer yesterday. I heated it up and absolutely
loved it. I had forgotten about it...what a nice surprise.
It was made from a 30-year old bag of dried limas.

I also made a new batch of chicken stock with carrots
and onions. Will make some chicken soup today and freeze
the rest of the stock in pint containers.

Fordhook lima beans sf[_9_] General Cooking 34 24-03-2011 04:39 AM
Fordhook lima beans ImStillMags General Cooking 1 23-03-2011 08:29 PM
Fordhook lima beans ImStillMags General Cooking 0 22-03-2011 11:04 PM
Lima Bean Dip zxcvbob General Cooking 2 07-03-2009 02:40 PM
Frozen Lima Beans James[_1_] General Cooking 39 18-04-2007 12:46 PM