Old 24-04-2006, 03:44 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna (Escolar)

Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

Old 24-04-2006, 04:11 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman wrote on 24 Apr 2006 07:44:49 -0700:

NL The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and
NL flavorful, I'm really sorry that I won't be tasting it
NL again.

NL Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems
NL with this fish.

I agree with you entirely! I believe the cause of the runs is
the very high oil content. I envy those who *can* eat the stuff
but *Never Again* !

For interest, what was the fish called on the menu? In my case
it was "white tuna" but that is quite often albacore tuna not
escolar.

James Silverton
Potomac Maryland.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:17 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Norman Leonski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

I guess you now know why you won't see this fish in sushi restaurants in
Japan.
It's illegal to serve it.

Musashi

Old 24-04-2006, 04:45 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:
Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
this fish.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

--
Dan
Old 24-04-2006, 04:46 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

"Norman Leonski" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

I guess you now know why you won't see this fish in sushi restaurants in
Japan.
It's illegal to serve it.

Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

--
Dan

Old 24-04-2006, 04:56 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Musashi wrote:

[...]

Probably because Fugu has been served for so long a time, and the
preparation methods
as well as the method of qualifying the preparer have been established to
the extent that nobody dies
from eating fugu in a fugu restaurant. Even the entrails can not be thrown
out with regular garbage,
by law they must be kept in a metal locked box which is specially disposed.
The figures you see of of annual deaths from eating fugu are invariable the
reult of people preparing them
at home without proper training.
In contrast, escolar is a southern pacific pelagic fish which which never
had a historic role in the Japanese
seafood diet and only came about as a by-catch from long range tuna fishery.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:59 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"I had two pieces of what was labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm"

Old 24-04-2006, 04:59 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:
Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
this fish.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

--
Dan

How many pieces would you guess you ate at one sitting?
I have never had a bad reaction but my personal record
is only 3 pieces as a taste test.

Old 24-04-2006, 05:01 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Norman Leonski" wrote in message
ups.com...
"I had two pieces of what was labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm"

I suppose I should start recommending White Tuna as
a cure for constipation.

Old 24-04-2006, 05:03 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:

I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

--
Dan

Aren't you just the lucky one! I loved the taste! The next time I need
to be cleaned out real good, I'll go have some.

Old 24-04-2006, 05:26 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:

Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
this fish.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

How many pieces would you guess you ate at one sitting?
I have never had a bad reaction but my personal record
is only 3 pieces as a taste test.

I had two very large cuts of sashimi which were 3"x2"x.5" slabs.
I think I also had a few nigiri of it as well. Probably about 6oz
at least.

--
Dan
Old 24-04-2006, 05:28 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote:

I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

Aren't you just the lucky one! I loved the taste! The next time I need
to be cleaned out real good, I'll go have some.

My wife and son too. He only gets 1 piece of nigiri. My wife and I usually
have 1-2 nigiri for the most part. Occasionally I have more. I love the taste
and texture. Too bad it causes such a problem.

--
Dan
Old 24-04-2006, 05:56 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:

[...]

That sounds like alot. It's strange how one or two pieces can affect one
person
but several pieces has no affect on another.

Old 24-04-2006, 07:00 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the itamae was treating me well that day. Thankfully I did not
have any issues. Maybe there's an enzyme I have that some people don't.

--
Dan
Old 25-04-2006, 08:47 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:46:45 -0400, Dan Logcher
wrote:

Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

It's the same society that treasures Japanese rock gardens,
exquisitely composed food, Geisha and those horrid cartoonish dolls
and anime. Go figure.

------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email

White Tuna Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 16 09-09-2009 03:17 AM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 10:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 19-03-2005 12:22 AM