Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Have you tried white tuna?

http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/38/48425

You may get anal leakage in the end.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:
> You may get anal leakage in the end.

Yes, I eat it almost every time I go for sushi. I love it.
Its one of my top five favorites and is now available at more
and more sushi bars in the Boston area. It used to be one or
two, back a few years.

This is rather old news, I recall this at least a couple of
years ago. Every sushi bar seems to have a different name for
it. One place I go lists it as Marlin. The package read Oilfish.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:25:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> James wrote:
> > You may get anal leakage in the end.

> Yes, I eat it almost every time I go for sushi. I love it.
> Its one of my top five favorites and is now available at more
> and more sushi bars in the Boston area. It used to be one or
> two, back a few years.
>
> This is rather old news, I recall this at least a couple of
> years ago. Every sushi bar seems to have a different name for
> it. One place I go lists it as Marlin. The package read Oilfish.

Shiro Maguro? I thought that was always albacore.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:25:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>James wrote:
>>
>>>You may get anal leakage in the end.

>>Yes, I eat it almost every time I go for sushi. I love it.
>>Its one of my top five favorites and is now available at more
>>and more sushi bars in the Boston area. It used to be one or
>>two, back a few years.
>>
>>This is rather old news, I recall this at least a couple of
>>years ago. Every sushi bar seems to have a different name for
>>it. One place I go lists it as Marlin. The package read Oilfish.

> Shiro Maguro? I thought that was always albacore.

Shiro maguro is albacore.. Super White Tuna is what some places
call Oilfish/Escolar. I can get both of them at my favorite place.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:38:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:25:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:

> >>Yes, I eat it almost every time I go for sushi. I love it.
> >>Its one of my top five favorites and is now available at more
> >>and more sushi bars in the Boston area. It used to be one or
> >>two, back a few years.
> >>
> >>This is rather old news, I recall this at least a couple of
> >>years ago. Every sushi bar seems to have a different name for
> >>it. One place I go lists it as Marlin. The package read Oilfish.

> > Shiro Maguro? I thought that was always albacore.

> Shiro maguro is albacore.. Super White Tuna is what some places
> call Oilfish/Escolar. I can get both of them at my favorite place.

Thanks. I've never seen the term *Super* White Tuna before.

I know escolar, though, although I've never seen it a sushi bar. I
like it's taste, but I don't like what it does to my digestive system,
so I've stopped eating it.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:38:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Ken Blake wrote:

>>>Shiro Maguro? I thought that was always albacore.

>>Shiro maguro is albacore.. Super White Tuna is what some places
>>call Oilfish/Escolar. I can get both of them at my favorite place.

> Thanks. I've never seen the term *Super* White Tuna before.
>
> I know escolar, though, although I've never seen it a sushi bar. I
> like it's taste, but I don't like what it does to my digestive system,
> so I've stopped eating it.

The name is different everywhere I go.. some places just call it white tuna,
some call it mutzu, etc. I guess we're the lucky ones that don't have the ill
effects. I've eaten a fair amount too in one sitting. Does a pair of nigiri
cause problems?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:29:59 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:38:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:

> >>Shiro maguro is albacore.. Super White Tuna is what some places
> >>call Oilfish/Escolar. I can get both of them at my favorite place.

> > Thanks. I've never seen the term *Super* White Tuna before.
> >
> > I know escolar, though, although I've never seen it a sushi bar. I
> > like it's taste, but I don't like what it does to my digestive system,
> > so I've stopped eating it.

> The name is different everywhere I go.. some places just call it white tuna,
> some call it mutzu, etc. I guess we're the lucky ones that don't have the ill
> effects. I've eaten a fair amount too in one sitting. Does a pair of nigiri
> cause problems?

I don't know. I've never had (or even seen, to the best of my
knowledge) escolar at a sushi bar. I've only had it cooked.

My ill effects are fairly mild, and not terrible, but they are
annoying enough that I've stopped eating it.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

I've never met a sushi chef who said he ate it. I don't either
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I used to eat it a lot because they had it at the Todais in
California. I don't think they have it any more. It was delicious.
Cleaned out yer insides, too.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:29:59 -0500:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:38:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:

>>> Shiro maguro is albacore.. Super White Tuna is what some
>>> places call Oilfish/Escolar. I can get both of them at my favorite
>>> place.

>> Thanks. I've never seen the term *Super* White Tuna before.
>>
>> I know escolar, though, although I've never seen it a sushi
>> bar. I like it's taste, but I don't like what it does to my
>> digestive system, so I've stopped eating it.

> The name is different everywhere I go.. some places just call it white
> tuna, some call it mutzu, etc. I guess we're the
> lucky ones that don't have the ill effects. I've eaten a fair
> amount too in one sitting. Does a pair of nigiri cause
> problems?

We had this discussion a little while ago and it's confusing because
both escolar and albacore can be called "white tuna". From personal
experience, escolar, called "white tuna" by the chef, is *delicious* and
produced the runs for a day. It is banned by the health authorities in
Japan.The problem is the very large oil content and some people are
lucky enough to be able to digest it.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I used to wonder, though, why it was that after I dined at Todai I
needed to make a rather urgent bathroom stop.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

You might also find this fish under the Hawaiian name Walu. I do
believe though that in order to receive any of the negative effects
you would have to consume 6oz or more of the fish. I normally eat an
order of nigiri or two of this fist and have never had any problems.
Then again I guess certain people might be more susceptible to the
oils than others.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:19:08 -0800 (PST),
> wrote:
>
>> You might also find this fish under the Hawaiian name Walu.

> You didn't quote anything, so I'm not sure which of the fish called
> white tuna you mean. Are you talking about escolar?

Walu is indeed the Hawaiian name for Escolar.
http://blog.shareyourtable.com/2008/...utterfish.html

Unfortunately, the term "Butterfish" seems to be used also, which adds to
further confusion as the very safe to eat Black Cod or Sable of the Canadian
Pacific is also called "Butterfish" in Hawaii.

In anycase, Walu is Escolar.
Albacore in Hawaii is Tombo Ahi.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:14:47 -0500, "Musashi"
> wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:19:08 -0800 (PST),
> > wrote:
> >
> >> You might also find this fish under the Hawaiian name Walu.

> > You didn't quote anything, so I'm not sure which of the fish called
> > white tuna you mean. Are you talking about escolar?
> >

> Walu is indeed the Hawaiian name for Escolar.

http://blog.shareyourtable.com/2008/...utterfish.html

> Unfortunately, the term "Butterfish" seems to be used also, which adds to
> further confusion as the very safe to eat Black Cod or Sable of the Canadian
> Pacific is also called "Butterfish" in Hawaii.
>
> In anycase, Walu is Escolar.
> Albacore in Hawaii is Tombo Ahi.

Thanks for the info.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:57:24 -0700:

>> You might also find this fish under the Hawaiian name Walu.

> You didn't quote anything, so I'm not sure which of the fish
> called white tuna you mean. Are you talking about escolar?

>> I do
>> believe though that in order to receive any of the negative
>> effects you would have to consume 6oz or more of the fish. I
>> normally eat an order of nigiri or two of this fist and have
>> never had any problems. Then again I guess certain people
>> might be more susceptible to the oils than others.

> If you're talking about escolar, clearly some people are more
> susceptible than others, so I'm sure the amount needed for a
> negative effect is different for different people. I have some
> negative effects, but much less than other people I know. I've
> seen people get negative effects from much less than 6oz.

My one and only experience with escolar (and resulting in the runs) was
in a sashimi platter. The two pieces were about 2"x1"x1/4" and I think
the weight would be about an ounce at most.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

this is what the escolar sushi i used to get at todai looked like,
just like this

http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com...olar_sushi.jpg

Posted to alt.food.sushi

they call this escolar, too, but it looks like something different

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

Posted to alt.food.sushi

banned in italy too, it says here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

Posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:31:54 -0800 (PST):

> they call this escolar, too, but it looks like something
> different

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other colors.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Mine always had that pale pinkish hue.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2008-12-11 11:01:31 -0800, "James Silverton"
> said:

> My one and only experience with escolar (and resulting in the runs) was
> in a sashimi platter. The two pieces were about 2"x1"x1/4" and I think
> the weight would be about an ounce at most.

Don't feel bad. I always get some stomach problems when I eat rats.
Grilled, sauteed or fried, rats make me ill.

So that's two things I won't eat!
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:31:54 -0800 (PST):
>
>> they call this escolar, too, but it looks like something
>> different

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

> The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other colors.

Which is why my favorite place calls it super shite tuna.. though
its not a tuna, but I'll let that slide.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Dec 11, 5:17*pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Mine always had that pale pinkish hue.

> That sounds like Albacore to me.. *very soft and tender?
> Escolar/oilfish reminds me of himachi texture with a bit of
> a different taste. *Buttery mouth feel.
>
> --
> Dan

The pale pinkish hue exactly like the sushi in the picture above,
Dan. Here it is again:

http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com...olar_sushi.jpg
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:16:15 -0500:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:31:54 -0800
>> (PST):
>>
>>> they call this escolar, too, but it looks like something
>>> different

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

>> The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other
>> colors.

> Which is why my favorite place calls it super shite tuna..
> though its not a tuna, but I'll let that slide.

Escolar is actually a mackerel species, I believe. The whole mackerel
family is oily but escolar wins out!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:30:29 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Dan wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:16:15 -0500:
>
> > James Silverton wrote:
> >> wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:31:54 -0800
> >> (PST):

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

> >> The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other
> >> colors.

> > Which is why my favorite place calls it super shite tuna..
> > though its not a tuna, but I'll let that slide.

> Escolar is actually a mackerel species, I believe. The whole mackerel
> family is oily but escolar wins out!

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized it was a mackerel. And you are
right that it's a mackerel, as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
points out.

It turns out that the problems are caused by something called wax
esters.

Ken

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> Dan wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:16:15 -0500:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:31:54 -0800
>>> (PST):

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

>>> The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other
>>> colors.

>> Which is why my favorite place calls it super shite tuna..
>> though its not a tuna, but I'll let that slide.

> Escolar is actually a mackerel species, I believe. The whole mackerel
> family is oily but escolar wins out!

Well, its sometimes called Snake Mackerel, but I don't think it is.
Lepidocybium flavobrunneum vs Scomberomorus maculatus. I believe the
term Snake Mackerel is what throws people off since its not an offical
name. Its like saying yellowtail.. yellowtail what? Snapper, flounder
amberjack. The latter being the one we eat for sushi.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:31:54 -0800 (PST):
>>
>>> they call this escolar, too, but it looks like something
>>> different

http://d1.biggestmenu.com/00/00/5d/7...254cc7db_m.jpg

>> The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other colors.

> Which is why my favorite place calls it super shite tuna.. though
> its not a tuna, but I'll let that slide.
>
> --
> Dan

What a very appropriate name.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>James Silverton wrote:

>>>The stuff I had was uniformly pure white with no other colors.

>>Which is why my favorite place calls it super shite tuna.. though
>>its not a tuna, but I'll let that slide.
>>
>>--
>>Dan

> What a very appropriate name.

Sorry, slight typo . Super White Tuna. HA!

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2008-12-12 11:31:56 -0800, Dan Logcher > said:

>> What a very appropriate name.

> Sorry, slight typo . Super White Tuna. HA!

It seemed an on turn of phrase coming from a sushi chef.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

White Tuna Musashi Sushi 128 19-02-2012 09:05 PM
White Tuna Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 16 09-09-2009 03:17 AM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White Tuna James Silverton Sushi 33 16-03-2005 09:46 PM