Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna

We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so nice to
be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which implies that we have
more than one in town - we now have 4 - within the last year, Yay, a
choice!!!
One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?
Nan

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Nanzi" wrote in message
We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so nice to
be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which implies that we have
more than one in town - we now have 4 - within the last year, Yay, a
choice!!!
One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?
Nan

What is usually called "White Tuna" is actually a fish called Escolar.
Highly fatty, succulent and one of my absolute favourites. I like to make a
roll with avocado, salmon and "white tuna." Talk about rich, it'll knock
your socks off! The three flavors compliment and accentuate each other,
absolutely incredible.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

KLC wrote on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:09:44 -0500:

"Nanzi" wrote in message
[...]

We've been there before many times but my congratulations on being able
to metabolize escolar This is from Wikipedia and fits my experience
too. I did have it once and found it delicious for about 6 hours.

"Because of the possible effects of consumption, escolar has been banned
from consumption in Japan since 1977, as the Japanese government
considers it toxic It has also been banned in Italy..In 1999, the
Swedish and Danish National Food Administrations informed fish trade
associations and fish importing companies about the problems escolar and
related fish could cause if not prepared properly and issued
recommendations"

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 07:47:33 -0700, Nanzi said:

One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?

A lot of people seem to like it. I won't eat it. I don't eat anything
the sushi chef won't eat. I also don't like eating fish sold under the
wrong name, like "white tuna" instead of "escolar". Admittedly, that's
just me.

Reminds me of an old joke. A country woman came into the hospital
every year to have a baby. She'd done it every year for about 8 years.
When she was checking out the nurse said, "I guess we'll see you next
year Mrs. Johnson." "No you won't," the woman replied, "Me and Jeb's
figured out what's been a-causing it."

Perhaps if you check your digestive response the next day, or the
evening of consuming the escolar, you might find some interesting
coincidences.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" wrote in message
We've been there before many times but my congratulations on being able to
metabolize escolar This is from Wikipedia and fits my experience too. I
did have it once and found it delicious for about 6 hours.

"Because of the possible effects of consumption, escolar has been banned
from consumption in Japan since 1977, as the Japanese government considers
it toxic It has also been banned in Italy..In 1999, the Swedish and Danish
National Food Administrations informed fish trade associations and fish
importing companies about the problems escolar and related fish could
cause if not prepared properly and issued recommendations"

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

I thought of mentioning that, but figured it was fairly well known. I don't
have problems with it in the reasonable portions that I consume, as
infrequently as I have access to it. Even if I know it's going to clean me
out pretty good the next day, it would still be worth it.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

Zaghadka wrote:

On 2009-09-03 07:47:33 -0700, Nanzi said:

One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?

A lot of people seem to like it. I won't eat it. I don't eat anything
the sushi chef won't eat. I also don't like eating fish sold under the
wrong name, like "white tuna" instead of "escolar". Admittedly, that's
just me.

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

--
Dan
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 07:47:33 -0700, Nanzi said:

One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?

A lot of people seem to like it. I won't eat it. I don't eat anything
the sushi chef won't eat. I also don't like eating fish sold under the
wrong name, like "white tuna" instead of "escolar". Admittedly, that's
just me.

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

I ask what the fish's name is. But I don't eat anything named white
tuna no matter the "grade".
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 22:14:12 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

I've never heard albacore called white tuna.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:44:00 -0700:

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna"
and "Super white tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the
"escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I
believe in your case.

I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

Well, I certainly have! The one and only time that I had escolar, the
chef called it "white tuna" but in my favorite sushi place albacore is
called "white tuna". The different
appearances of the two fishes are engraved on my memory for reasons
obvious to me!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 22:14:12 -0700, Dan Logcher
said:

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and
"Super white
tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in
your case.

I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

I saw this in San Francisco at a few different sushi bars.

--
Dan

Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:25:14 -0400, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Gerry wrote on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:44:00 -0700:

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna"
and "Super white tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the
"escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I
believe in your case.

I've never heard albacore called white tuna.

Well, I certainly have! The one and only time that I had escolar, the
chef called it "white tuna" but in my favorite sushi place albacore is
called "white tuna". The different
appearances of the two fishes are engraved on my memory for reasons
obvious to me!

I have too. In fact in my experience, in the places I've been to,
what's called "white tuna" has more frequently been albacore than
escolar.

I've had cooked escolar, but I can't remember ever having escolar at a
sushi bar.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old 04-09-2009, 03:42 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:

[...]

How was it cooked? I'd like to try it grilled.

--
Dan
Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:

[...]

I've mostly had it grilled. I used to do it myself, but stopped
because of its effects on my digestive system.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:54 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Nanzi posted this:
We went to our favorite sushi restaurant last night. It is so nice to
be able to say favorite sushi restaurant, which implies that we have
more than one in town - we now have 4 - within the last year, Yay, a
choice!!!
One of the items on the sashimi plate is white tuna. That fish is
almost better than sex!! Damn Good Sex. We both save it for last like
little kids and savor every bite.
We've checked online for it, but it's a kings ransom to get it shipped
even if the price of the fish is reasonable.
Are we the only ones who are totally gaga over white tuna?
Nan

Ah yes, the old 'white tuna,' 'super white tuna,' Escolar gambit. This is
definitely one of the most popular discussion topics in this group. I always
eat it, whatever they're calling it and have more troubles with trots from
McDonald's food.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-03 22:14:12 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

Incidentally, if the restaurant is serving both "White tuna" and "Super white
tuna," it's the "Super white" that is the "escolar," right?

Super white is the escolar and white tuna is albacore, I believe in your case.

I've never heard albacore called white tuna.
--

Albacore in Japanese is Binchou Maguro, or, Bin naga Maguro (same
characters read differently)

Musashi

White Tuna Musashi Sushi 128 19-02-2012 08:05 PM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 09:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White Tuna James Silverton Sushi 33 16-03-2005 08:46 PM