Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi Musashi is offline

Default White Tuna (Escolar)

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

> > I guess you now know why you won't see this fish in sushi restaurants in
> > Japan.
> > It's illegal to serve it.

> Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
> distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

Probably because Fugu has been served for so long a time, and the
preparation methods
as well as the method of qualifying the preparer have been established to
the extent that nobody dies
from eating fugu in a fugu restaurant. Even the entrails can not be thrown
out with regular garbage,
by law they must be kept in a metal locked box which is specially disposed.
The figures you see of of annual deaths from eating fugu are invariable the
reult of people preparing them
at home without proper training.
In contrast, escolar is a southern pacific pelagic fish which which never
had a historic role in the Japanese
seafood diet and only came about as a by-catch from long range tuna fishery.