Old 14-01-2009, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Default Waitress: "How does everything taste?"

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
A few restaurants have trained their wait-droids to ask, "How does
everything taste?" instead of the usual, "Can I get you anything?"
or, "Is everything OK here? smile".

Actually although not practiced today the "is everything OK" statement was a
transfer of liability and agreement to pay for the food statement under Old
English Common Law. Up to that point the diner (usually in country Inns)
were allowed to return the food as it may have been spoiled. We need to
remember refrigeration and food preservation is a fairly recent thing.

Dimitri

Old 14-01-2009, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:50:55 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo wrote:

On Jan 12, 10:24*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
A few restaurants have trained their wait-droids to ask, "How does
everything taste?" instead of the usual, "Can I get you anything?"
or, "Is everything OK here? smile".

Does the term, "How does everything taste?" kinda throw people off?
Granted, that's our cue to ask for more drinks or condiments, but do
I really want to go into detail and tell them how everything tastes?

It really gives me the Willies to hear them ask that - it just comes
out as so ingenuine, IMO. *

So last weekend when we were asked "How does everything taste?", we
both said the sauteed mushrooms were terribly salty and we really
didn't want them on the table taking up space.

So the waitress offered to rinse them off for us. *Duh.

County Line BBQ "On The Lake", Austin TX. *Sunday 1/4/09 at 5:10PM.

-sw

Beats the hell out of "How is everything tasting?" Answer: "I don't
know, I didn't ask it."
Personally, I think I'll switch to the detailed description/review.
Maybe a take off on a wine critique: "The burger has a bold opening
note followed by good body and hints of onion and peach, but the
finish is definitely too "oakey" .
Lynn in Fargo
(former English major)

what do you mean 'former'? haven't you ever heard the question 'are you
now or have you ever been?'

you're branded for life, girlie.

your pal,
blake
Old 14-01-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

blake murphy wrote:
[...]

Being an English major has its perks. When I was a single mom and
couldn't afford more than one drink and paying the sitter to go out
occasionally, I would bet people a drink that they couldn't tell what
language I was speaking. After I lined up an evening's worth of takers,
I recited the prologue (first 18 lines) to "Canterbury Tales" in perfect
Middle English. No one ever guessed I was speaking English. I enjoyed
the beverages. vbg

BTW, lots of English Majors memorized that prologue as a course requirement.

Old 15-01-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

blake murphy wrote:
[...]

Do you think Beowulf would work?
Lynn in Fargo

I think so. That's Old English.

Old 15-01-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

jmcquown wrote:

But I've never heard a server ask, "How does everything
taste?" Methinks this is a fabrication.

This is why people think you're such a bitch.

Maybe you should stop eating in chain restaurants. Your mention of "droids"
clearly indicates you go to places where they have some sort of corporate
script to follow. Try eating in places where the kitchen staff actually
give a shit about whether or not their food is good and the servers aren't
"droids".

Unlike you I have friends. And sometimes I go out with these people
not so much for the food, but for the company.

Now go **** yourself, you dumb ****.

-sw
Old 15-01-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote:

I dine out a lot and not once has a waitunit asked me "how does
everything taste"?

It's funny how people doubt something that they've never
experienced. It's like we have a new breed of Jerry Sauks who live
in their own little worlds.

http://sidesalad.net/archives/001503.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/granite-city-food-and-brewery-cedar-rapids#hrid:97V4UmKFtHMRF3mhhxBCjQ
http://community.livejournal.com/rateyourwaiter/3190.html
http://www.moviejuice.com/2008/saw_v
(Olive Garden, no less - your favorite place)

And here's the phrase being written up int he NY Times:
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/serving-in-tongues/?apage=3

And there's 350 more references to this phrase available in a simple
Google search for Jill and yours perusal, at your leisure, of
course.

-sw
Old 15-01-2009, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Sqwertz wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

But I've never heard a server ask, "How does everything
taste?" Methinks this is a fabrication.

This is why people think you're such a bitch.

Maybe you should stop eating in chain restaurants. Your mention of

"droids"
clearly indicates you go to places where they have some sort of

corporate
script to follow. Try eating in places where the kitchen staff actually
give a shit about whether or not their food is good and the servers

aren't
"droids".

Unlike you I have friends. And sometimes I go out with these people
not so much for the food, but for the company.

Now go **** yourself, you dumb ****.

Lol...my thoughts *exactly*, Steve...!!!

;-P

--
Best
Greg

Old 15-01-2009, 12:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

In article , Sqwertz
writes
A few restaurants have trained their wait-droids to ask, "How does
everything taste?" instead of the usual, "Can I get you anything?"
or, "Is everything OK here? smile".

It's possible their training has stopped at the point where they try to
avoid asking, or paraphrase, questions to which the answer is a blunt
'yes' or 'no', as the 'no' response pretty much blocks any opening
gambit right away. (I've seen a training video aimed at sales people,
possibly by John Cleese, which made this point).

In the restaurant setting yes/no questions are appropriate when diners
have just commenced eating or are part way through their meals. I'd
expect to be asked 'is everything all right?', or even 'how is your
meal?' or 'how is everything?'.

It's before the customer has ordered, or once they've finished a course,
that the selling up kicks in and the yes/no question (and in particular
the 'no') needs to be avoided.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old 15-01-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:17:26 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:

blake murphy wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:50:55 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo wrote:

Lynn in Fargo
(former English major)

what do you mean 'former'? haven't you ever heard the question 'are you
now or have you ever been?'

you're branded for life, girlie.

Being an English major has its perks. When I was a single mom and
couldn't afford more than one drink and paying the sitter to go out
occasionally, I would bet people a drink that they couldn't tell what
language I was speaking. After I lined up an evening's worth of takers,
I recited the prologue (first 18 lines) to "Canterbury Tales" in perfect
Middle English. No one ever guessed I was speaking English. I enjoyed
the beverages. vbg

BTW, lots of English Majors memorized that prologue as a course requirement.

good thing the other english majors were too poor to go to the bar.

my girlfriend once had absolutely convinced this yo-yo that she had written
'jabberwocky.' (she was a math major, oddly enough.)

your pal,
blake

Old 15-01-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

On 15 Jan 2009 13:07:34 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

Sqwertz :
in rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote:

I dine out a lot and not once has a waitunit asked me "how does
everything taste"?

It's funny how people doubt something that they've never
experienced. It's like we have a new breed of Jerry Sauks who live
in their own little worlds.

Who the **** said anything about doubting you? I said I just never
experienced a waitperson giving me that particular canned phrase. Having a
low self esteem day Steve?

Michael

well, jill did. it seems he was generalizing from that. i don't think
sheldon has been heard from on the matter.

your pal,
blake
Old 15-01-2009, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Whenever I'm asked how it it tastes, I tell them, good or bad. I've had the
manager and cook come over and follow up, and I just say, "Hey, they asked
how the FOOD tastes, not if we wanted anything, or how everything was
going."

Don't ask me if you don't want to know.

Steve

Old 15-01-2009, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Sqwertz wrote:

A few restaurants have trained their wait-droids to ask, "How does
everything taste?" instead of the usual, "Can I get you anything?" or, "Is
everything OK here? smile".

Does the term, "How does everything taste?" kinda throw people off?
Granted, that's our cue to ask for more drinks or condiments, but do I
really want to go into detail and tell them how everything tastes?

"Like chicken."

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Old 15-01-2009, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

On Jan 15, 11:22*am, blake murphy wrote:

my girlfriend once had absolutely convinced this yo-yo that she had written
'jabberwocky.' *(she was a math major, oddly enough.)

Well, Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll's real name) was a mathematician.
There's a pleasing symmetry there.

Cindy Hamilton