Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Waitress: "How does everything taste?"

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> A few restaurants have trained their wait-droids to ask, "How does
> everything taste?" instead of the usual, "Can I get you anything?"
> or, "Is everything OK here? <smile>".
>
> Does the term, "How does everything taste?" kinda throw people off?
> Granted, that's our cue to ask for more drinks or condiments, but do
> I really want to go into detail and tell them how everything tastes?
>
> It really gives me the Willies to hear them ask that - it just comes
> out as so ingenuine, IMO.

That's because it is. Words are not always what they seem. If you run
into somebody you barely know somewhere, and they ask you how you are
doing, you know that's not your cue to explain, in great detail, your
joint problems, your job problems and your marriage problems. You can
pretty much figure out what's appropriate. Same thing with the server.
There're just checking in to see if you want more water, condiments or
the dessert menu.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA