Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default food film - "Waitress"

http://www.google.com/movies/reviews...itres s&hl=en
Wonderful little gem of a movie!

Sadly Adrienne Shelly (the film's director and co-star) was killed
before it was accepted into the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> http://www.google.com/movies/reviews...itres s&hl=en
> Wonderful little gem of a movie!
>
> Sadly Adrienne Shelly (the film's director and co-star) was killed
> before it was accepted into the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smiley face first

It's an excellent movie .. very sad about Adrienne Shelly though, I had no
idea
~Inventor of the "My Husband is a Jackass Pie" ;D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

Since when?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote
>
>> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

>Since when?
>
>nancy

The 12th of never. He's dreaming.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>"Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>>> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

>>Since when?

> The 12th of never. He's dreaming.

Heh. I like that, the 12th of never. That's about right, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>
>> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

> Since when?
>
> nancy

Memphis had that dubious distinction a few years running, then right behind
Washington, DC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > "Sqwertz" > wrote
> >
> >> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

> > Since when?

> Come to think of it, I think it's Washington DC. You'll never
> catch me in either of these shit-holes.

Yes, but only in certain years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.

There's also Chicago, champion in some years.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/01/city.murders.ap/

New Orleans is the current titleholder.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/neworle...890.xml&coll=1

Although it vies with the others for national
murder capital, Los Angeles doesn't even beat
Oakland for state murder capital.

http://www.sacbee.com/772/story/384093.html

> Say something factually wrong and everybody will jump
> on it and ignore the rest of the post.

And suggest that you Google it, before posting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 06:14:04p, Nancy Young meant to say...

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote
>
>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>"Sqwertz" > wrote

>>>Since when?

>> The 12th of never. He's dreaming.

> Heh. I like that, the 12th of never. That's about right, too.
>
> nancy

Great title for a song. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 08,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 4hrs 15mins
Cats must not beat the dog up because
he's stupid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:30:48 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Come to think of it, I think it's Washington DC. You'll never
>>> catch me in either of these shit-holes.

>> Yes, but only in certain years.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.
>>
>> There's also Chicago, champion in some years.
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/01/city.murders.ap/
>>
>> New Orleans is the current titleholder.
>>
>> http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/neworle...890.xml&coll=1
>>
>> Although it vies with the others for national
>> murder capital, Los Angeles doesn't even beat
>> Oakland for state murder capital.
>>
>> http://www.sacbee.com/772/story/384093.html
>>
>>> Say something factually wrong and everybody will jump
>>> on it and ignore the rest of the post.

>> And suggest that you Google it, before posting.

> I knew DC and NY weren't the MCOTW even before I posted it. I
> just wanted to see if people would be gravitated towards that
> remark instead of the pickled beets, peanut butter, and bacon
> sandwich (which was also a lie).

Now you know. I read until I see something lame that makes
me not bother continuing.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > wrote in message
. net...

> <sf> wrote in message ...
>> http://www.google.com/movies/reviews...itres s&hl=en
>> Wonderful little gem of a movie!
>>
>> Sadly Adrienne Shelly (the film's director and co-star) was killed
>> before it was accepted into the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly
>>
>> --
>> See return address to reply by email
>> remove the smiley face first

> It's an excellent movie .. very sad about Adrienne Shelly though, I had no
> idea
> ~Inventor of the "My Husband is a Jackass Pie" ;D

We agree; it's an absolutely gorgeous movie. Adrienne Shelly played the part
of the ugly duckling; she emerged as a beautiful person. She had the kind of
passion about life you rarely see on film, in church, or next door.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>>> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

>> Since when?

> Come to think of it, I think it's Washington DC. You'll never
> catch me in either of these shit-holes.

And both places are officially inconsolable with that news tonight.

> Say something factually wrong and everybody will jump on it and
> ignore the rest of the post.

I tend to ignore most Wikipedia entries, so don't be surprised. Enjoy
"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"

> ObFood: Romaine, pickled beet, bacon, red onion, blue cheese
> salad and baked potatoes for dinner tonight. And that's a fact.

Until we can prove otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>>> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

>>Since when?
>>
>>nancy
>>

> The 12th of never. He's dreaming.
>
> Boron

I believe Washington, D.C. is the murder capital of the world. There are no
guns allowed, I hear. A puzzlement.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Would an IMDB reference help calm your nerves?
> http://imdb.com/title/tt0058548/
>
> It's #99 in the bottom 100 "Worst Movies Ever Made". It's not
> surprising that Pia Zadora is in it.

What is the problem now? Why would I need an IMDb reference? I've seen
the movie. I know it's real.

I only remarked that you should enjoy it. I'll refrain from any and all
advice to you in the future.

<since you lied about dinner>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 06:14:04p, Nancy Young meant to say...
>

>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote
>>
>>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, "Nancy Young"

>>> The 12th of never. He's dreaming.

>> Heh. I like that, the 12th of never. That's about right, too.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Great title for a song. :-)

A Donny Osmond song, to be exact

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 06:10:17 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 06:14:04p, Nancy Young meant to say...
>>

>>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote

>>> Heh. I like that, the 12th of never. That's about right, too.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> Great title for a song. :-)

>A Donny Osmond song, to be exact
>
>Jill

He was one of the later ones. Johnny Mathis recorded it in 1957,
Donny in 1973.
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...hofnever.shtml
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> "Shelly's death was first considered a suicide. Days later, a
> 19-year-old Ecuadorian illegal immigrant and construction worker
> confessed to slaying the actress, who he left hanging by a
> bedsheet from a shower rod in the bathroom of her Manhattan
> office/apartment. She was found by her husband."
>
> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

I think New Orleans holds that "honor"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't know why I didn't think of it while watching the movie, but what
a good idea for a cookbook!

So I wrote the sentence above and googled for it. Seems like others
have thought of the idea, but I don't see an exact title. I might not
have the right search terms.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 05:35:01a, The Cook meant to say...

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 06:10:17 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Dec 2007 06:14:04p, Nancy Young meant to say...

>>> Great title for a song. :-)

>>A Donny Osmond song, to be exact
>>
>>Jill
>>

> He was one of the later ones. Johnny Mathis recorded it in 1957,
> Donny in 1973.
> http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...hofnever.shtml

Correct!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 9th,2007

Today is: Second Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 16hrs 45mins
When the foolkiller comes around, we'd
better *all* hide in the high grass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.
>>

> I think New Orleans holds that "honor"

I don't know what made me curious enough to google on such a morbid
subject, but I did. I found all sorts of statistics and ways of
interpreting statistics, so there isn't a definite. You have to take
into account arrests, accusations, convictions, unsolved crimes,
situations like the on that started this where it's uncertain if a death
is a suicide or a murder, other violent crimes, etc. There's also
adjusting for per capita rate, poverty's effect on crime, what period of
time you're looking at, etc. Also, are you looking at random killings,
assassinations, or killings between gangs or mobs. It's hard to make
perfect comparisons.

Some cities outside the U.S. have high murder rates. Jamaica was listed
as having a high murder rate. Within the U.S., as near I can tell,
Philadelphia is the murder capital or pretty close.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> Some cities outside the U.S. have high murder rates. Jamaica was listed
> as having a high murder rate. Within the U.S., as near I can tell,
> Philadelphia is the murder capital or pretty close.

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I believe that
Cabot Cove, Maine holds that distinction.

Just sayin.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>

>>Some cities outside the U.S. have high murder rates. Jamaica was listed
>>as having a high murder rate. Within the U.S., as near I can tell,
>>Philadelphia is the murder capital or pretty close.

> I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I believe that
> Cabot Cove, Maine holds that distinction.
>
> Just sayin.

I had to google. Hee!
--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:37:18 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > Sadly Adrienne Shelly (the film's director and co-star) was killed
> > before it was accepted into the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly

> "Shelly's death was first considered a suicide. Days later, a
> 19-year-old Ecuadorian illegal immigrant and construction worker
> confessed to slaying the actress, who he left hanging by a
> bedsheet from a shower rod in the bathroom of her Manhattan
> office/apartment. She was found by her husband."
>
> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

I was in NYC on Friday. Rode the subway, walked around midtown, dined
in Grand Central Station without incident. I've always felt safer in
New York than I ever did when I lived in Dallas. In Dallas I couldn't
walk the one block from my old house to the grocery store without
getting harrassed by some male chauvinist pig.

We'll have to rent Waitress when we get back home.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
news:cjfullerSPAMORAMA->> This is what makes New York the murder capitol of
the world.

> I was in NYC on Friday. Rode the subway, walked around midtown, dined
> in Grand Central Station without incident. I've always felt safer in
> New York than I ever did when I lived in Dallas. In Dallas I couldn't
> walk the one block from my old house to the grocery store without
> getting harrassed by some male chauvinist pig.
>
> We'll have to rent Waitress when we get back home.
>
> Cindy

It would be hard for me to watch knowing that one of the girls in the cast
was actually murdered. Is that not the case; i.e., the director had a part?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:25:46 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:07:42 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Sqwertz" > wrote

>>>Since when?
>>>
>>>nancy
>>>

>> The 12th of never. He's dreaming.
>>
>> Boron

>I believe Washington, D.C. is the murder capital of the world. There are no
>guns allowed, I hear. A puzzlement.
>Dee Dee

all y'all are thinking of the eighties. the title circulated around
various cities, including detroit, chicago and new orleans, depending
on who was wringing their hands at the time.

according to wikipedia, the title holder in the u.s. for 2006 is
detroit (at 47 murders per 100,000 population). world-wide, i'm
thinking now it's probably baghdad.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 23:37:02 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>ObFood: Crunchy peanut butter, pickled beet, and bacon sandwich
>for lunch today.
>
>-sw

you from australia or something?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:27:42 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:25:46 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> The 12th of never. He's dreaming.
>>>
>>> Boron

>>I believe Washington, D.C. is the murder capital of the world. There are no
>>guns allowed, I hear. A puzzlement.
>>Dee Dee
>>

>all y'all are thinking of the eighties. the title circulated around
>various cities, including detroit, chicago and new orleans, depending
>on who was wringing their hands at the time.
>
>according to wikipedia, the title holder in the u.s. for 2006 is
>detroit (at 47 murders per 100,000 population). world-wide, i'm
>thinking now it's probably baghdad.

I've seen various sites ranging from Medellin, to Rio to Moscow to
Baltimore, to New Orleans to Jamaica (a country, I realize, but a
small one). War-torn cities are not generally not included in those
stats.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>I believe Washington, D.C. is the murder capital of the world. There are
>>no
>>guns allowed, I hear. A puzzlement.
>>Dee Dee

> all y'all are thinking of the eighties. the title circulated around
> various cities, including detroit, chicago and new orleans, depending
> on who was wringing their hands at the time.
>
> according to wikipedia, the title holder in the u.s. for 2006 is
> detroit (at 47 murders per 100,000 population). world-wide, i'm
> thinking now it's probably baghdad.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yeah, but Baghdad has guns. (and rocks)

I think the present, unlike others who never move beyond their upbringing
and present circumstances.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:53:19 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>
>> Some cities outside the U.S. have high murder rates. Jamaica was listed
>> as having a high murder rate. Within the U.S., as near I can tell,
>> Philadelphia is the murder capital or pretty close.

>I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I believe that
>Cabot Cove, Maine holds that distinction.
>
>Just sayin.
>
>nancy

....but on the bright side, cabot cove has no *unsolved* murders.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > scripsit in news:fjh66u$o7u$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

> Yeah, but Baghdad has guns. (and rocks)

Rocks, yes, your more dangerous weapon of mass distraction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:53:19 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>>
>>> Some cities outside the U.S. have high murder rates. Jamaica was listed
>>> as having a high murder rate. Within the U.S., as near I can tell,
>>> Philadelphia is the murder capital or pretty close.

>>I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I believe that
>>Cabot Cove, Maine holds that distinction.

> ...but on the bright side, cabot cove has no *unsolved* murders.

(laugh) That Jessica. No cold case files for that police force.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > scripsit in
:

> War and executions don't count. Those are legal murders.

Wars are ALWAYS legal? Try putting that one by the Nurnberg trial
lawyers. And what about executing innocents?

And if you agree a priori that they constitute murder, should they
not in fact be included?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>
> > This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

> Since when?

New York has become all namby-pamby. This year St. Louis was edged out
by Detroit.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 02:34:50 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>ObMurderCapitols: It it amazing how often American cities top
>the list? With all the violence and corruption in the world, and
>out leaders touting democracy as the most civilized of systems,
>yet we murder more of our fellow citizens than any other
>geographic area.

We are breeding criminals who think and act like they were raised in
the midst of Middle Eastern generational blood wars.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BLQ5.DTL&tsp=1
or
http://tinyurl.com/3xtdtb
http://www.sfgate.com/oaklandhomicides/

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>
>> Some cities outside the U.S. have high murder rates. Jamaica was
>> listed as having a high murder rate. Within the U.S., as near I can
>> tell, Philadelphia is the murder capital or pretty close.

> I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I believe that
> Cabot Cove, Maine holds that distinction.
>
> Just sayin.
>
> nancy

ROFL! Don't go *anywhere* near Jessica Fletcher!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>according to wikipedia, the title holder in the u.s. for 2006 is
>detroit (at 47 murders per 100,000 population). world-wide, i'm
>thinking now it's probably baghdad.

Look at the top 8 cities and their common factor(s). It's a legacy
not to be proud of.

By country - murders per 1,000... the US is at #24
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I believe that
>Cabot Cove, Maine holds that distinction.
>
>Just sayin.

LOLOL! At least one a week!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 11:08:23 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>Is that not the case; i.e., the director had a part?

Yes, but I didn't know until after I'd seen it.... so I wasn't
bothered.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:27:42 GMT, blake murphy >
> wrote:
>>
>>according to wikipedia, the title holder in the u.s. for 2006 is
>>detroit (at 47 murders per 100,000 population). world-wide, i'm
>>thinking now it's probably baghdad.

> Look at the top 8 cities and their common factor(s). It's a legacy
> not to be proud of.
>
> By country - murders per 1,000... the US is at #24
> http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

Geez, wonder why people think Costa Rica is shangraila (sp?) They have
worse crime than U.S.
Others worse: Mexico and Russia -- A puzzlement -- Wonder who is the counter
of facts.
"Follow the stats." - as in: follow the money.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>> > This is what makes New York the murder capitol of the world.

>> Since when?

> New York has become all namby-pamby.

It's true. Times Square has even been Disneyfied.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:19:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 05:35:01a, The Cook meant to say...
>
>> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 06:10:17 -0600, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>>A Donny Osmond song, to be exact
>>>
>>>Jill
>>>

>> He was one of the later ones. Johnny Mathis recorded it in 1957,
>> Donny in 1973.
>> http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...hofnever.shtml

>Correct!

The Johnny Mathis version was the theme for my 1967 high school prom.

And there was a bomb scare.

Boron