Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Oregano

I now have 16 American Harvest trays of oregano drying. I am drying
it on the stems. Much easier than trying to get it off the stem
before drying. This is just ordinary oregano.

I have another plant which is supposed to be Greek oregano. Will do
it as soon as this stuff finished. Actually almost all of my
perennial herbs need to be cut and preserved somehow. My thyme plant
is huge going over the side of the raised bed. Nice to see something
really producing.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 4:24 PM, The Cook wrote:
> I now have 16 American Harvest trays of oregano drying. I am drying
> it on the stems. Much easier than trying to get it off the stem
> before drying. This is just ordinary oregano.
>
> I have another plant which is supposed to be Greek oregano. Will do
> it as soon as this stuff finished. Actually almost all of my
> perennial herbs need to be cut and preserved somehow. My thyme plant
> is huge going over the side of the raised bed. Nice to see something
> really producing.

I've found that most of the oregano seedlings sold around here are the
Spanish ones. Spanish oregano is what you find in containers in most
grocers shelves in the US. The Greek I purchased some years ago is a bit
more hardy during drought but both taste the same to both of us.

I have always dried oregano on the stem, when dry just run a stem
through your fingers and the dried leaves fall into a container. I store
them in a dark colored container inside a cabinet, take out what I need
for a month or so of cooking, run it through the spice grinder and then
into a smaller container that goes in the spice cabinet beside the
stove. Do the same with basil.

I've never been able to keep thyme over a season, generally our very hot
summers knocks it down. Same with tarragon. For tarragon taste I grow
Mexican Mint Marigold, grows prolifically in my climate and makes a lot.
Actually I have to pull three fourths of the bed every year or it takes
over the herb garden. I end having to buy thyme at the market

I also grow New Zealand spinach, seeds easily found on the net. Not an
herb or a spice but a vegetable. Reseeds readily and heavily. First
green plant of the year to bear in early spring. Leaves are fleshy and
fairly tasty as a cooked green. I dehydrate a lot of the stuff and keep
it handy to thicken stews and soups. Dump in a handful and it also adds
flavor and some vegetable taste to soups and stews.

Anyone need any bay leaves? Our bay tree has outdone itself this year,
four new trunks, grows like a bush. Is actually noble laurel, lots of
the trees are grown in Louisiana for the bay leaf market. A lot of the
gumbo file you buy comes from Louisiana too. We never buy any of it
because we have a fifteen feet tall sassafras tree in the backyard. Go
out and pick a bunch of leaves in mid-summer, dehydrate them, run them
through the spice grinder, store in a sealed jar and keep in the dark,
lasts forever.

We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary? Dill
readily reseeds here so we always have plenty. I grow fernleaf dill to
put in dill pickles, to me it has a stronger taste than the seeds. Lost
my leaf celery to drought last year. Waiting until we move to buy more
seed. One of the handiest plants we've ever grown. Don't have to buy a
stalk of celery that will go bad before we can use it up. The leaf
celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

Sounds like your season is underway Susan. We've been putting up green
beans and such for a month or more now. Picked a tomato Friday that
weighed about half a pound, turned it into bacon, lettuce, and tomato
sandwiches. Tomato and lettuce from our garden, bacon from the store,
home made bread, tasty, tasty. Lettuce is bolting so no more home grown
until fall.

George, getting ready to grill a ribeye, some yellow squash and a couple
of Japanese eggplant
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
>feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary? Dill
>readily reseeds here so we always have plenty. I grow fernleaf dill to
>put in dill pickles, to me it has a stronger taste than the seeds. Lost
>my leaf celery to drought last year. Waiting until we move to buy more
>seed. One of the handiest plants we've ever grown. Don't have to buy a
>stalk of celery that will go bad before we can use it up. The leaf
>celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

George, you talk of "leaf celery". There is a plant, common in Europe,
that tastes just like celery (maybe a little more robust), and it's
commonly referred to as Chinese Celery, but locals have their own
names for it. In Hungary it's called Ujzeller (new celery). Grown for
leaves with insignificant stalks. Could this be what you're growing?

What is your Zone? I'm on the Gulf Coast, so it's in the 7-8-9 range.

Also, rosemary of the R. prostata variant grows as a ground cover,
broad and flat. Flavor's OK, but not as aromatic as the Tuscan Blue
and its brethren. Hint: Rosemary makes a neat bonsai, which means it
can be grown in pots. I have 4 plants of different cultivars, all
"erecta" and I let them grow at will. Come Christmas, there are
Rosemary wreathes about the house (they make neat gifts, too).

when roasting chicken, rosemary shoots (leaves and all) insereted
under the skin. Lamb chops, cut a handful of Rosemary branches and
beat the chops.
Add rosemary to an incense burner. I think it's part of church
incense. Smells like it anyway. rosemary thrown in the bottom of your
dirty clothes hamper. Cut rosemary twigs for kebab skewers.

Rosemary loves being pruned. Enjoy what nature has given you. It takes
trimming gladly and will thank you for it.

HTH

Alex
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 7:00 PM, Chemiker wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
>> feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary?

But the big, bushy plant is so gorgeous when it is covered in the tiny
blue flowers if you let it bloom!

>> celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>> gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

> George, you talk of "leaf celery". There is a plant, common in Europe,
> that tastes just like celery (maybe a little more robust), and it's
> commonly referred to as Chinese Celery, but locals have their own
> names for it. In Hungary it's called Ujzeller (new celery). Grown for
> leaves with insignificant stalks. Could this be what you're growing?

I wondered about that, too. I grow lovage, which looks exactly like
celery leaves on a short, rounded stem (actually not so short by the end
of the season, over 6 ft. tall.) It tastes exactly like celery,
but bit stronger. Very good in salads or soup.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 8:00 PM, Chemiker wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
>> feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary? Dill
>> readily reseeds here so we always have plenty. I grow fernleaf dill to
>> put in dill pickles, to me it has a stronger taste than the seeds. Lost
>> my leaf celery to drought last year. Waiting until we move to buy more
>> seed. One of the handiest plants we've ever grown. Don't have to buy a
>> stalk of celery that will go bad before we can use it up. The leaf
>> celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>> gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

> George, you talk of "leaf celery". There is a plant, common in Europe,
> that tastes just like celery (maybe a little more robust), and it's
> commonly referred to as Chinese Celery, but locals have their own
> names for it. In Hungary it's called Ujzeller (new celery). Grown for
> leaves with insignificant stalks. Could this be what you're growing?

Most likely.

> What is your Zone? I'm on the Gulf Coast, so it's in the 7-8-9 range.

USDA zone 9b, SW Louisiana. When and if we move back to Texas we will be
in the same zone in Harris County.

> Also, rosemary of the R. prostata variant grows as a ground cover,
> broad and flat. Flavor's OK, but not as aromatic as the Tuscan Blue
> and its brethren. Hint: Rosemary makes a neat bonsai, which means it
> can be grown in pots. I have 4 plants of different cultivars, all
> "erecta" and I let them grow at will. Come Christmas, there are
> Rosemary wreathes about the house (they make neat gifts, too).

My lovely wife insisted on planting the rosemary in the middle of my
herb garden. The !@@#$% stuff is taking over. Ripped out the first one
and darned if she didn't get a new one. I don't care for rosemary, grew
up in a pine forest and the stuff tastes very similar. I use it for
chicken and other fowl but sparingly.

> when roasting chicken, rosemary shoots (leaves and all) insereted
> under the skin. Lamb chops, cut a handful of Rosemary branches and
> beat the chops.
> Add rosemary to an incense burner. I think it's part of church
> incense. Smells like it anyway. rosemary thrown in the bottom of your
> dirty clothes hamper. Cut rosemary twigs for kebab skewers.
>
> Rosemary loves being pruned. Enjoy what nature has given you. It takes
> trimming gladly and will thank you for it.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 9:59 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 5/19/2012 7:00 PM, Chemiker wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
>>> feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary?

> But the big, bushy plant is so gorgeous when it is covered in the tiny
> blue flowers if you let it bloom!
>

>>> celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>>> gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

>> George, you talk of "leaf celery". There is a plant, common in Europe,
>> that tastes just like celery (maybe a little more robust), and it's
>> commonly referred to as Chinese Celery, but locals have their own
>> names for it. In Hungary it's called Ujzeller (new celery). Grown for
>> leaves with insignificant stalks. Could this be what you're growing?
>>

> I wondered about that, too. I grow lovage, which looks exactly like
> celery leaves on a short, rounded stem (actually not so short by the end
> of the season, over 6 ft. tall.) It tastes exactly like celery,
> but bit stronger. Very good in salads or soup.
>
> gloria p

I've also grown lovage, doesn't do well in my climate. Different taste
and growth patterns from the leaf celery I grow, at least tastes
different to me.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> I've never been able to keep thyme over a season, generally our very hot
> summers knocks it down. Same with tarragon.

In Chicago metro when we still had a house with a back yard each fall
we'd transfer the herbs from the pots on the deck to the garden in the
back to see what would survive. The lemon thyme did great until a
couple of years later the tarragon did so well it kudzu'd over the thyme
and a few of the decoratives in its vicinity. Then it stabilized
maxxing out at 4-5 foot diameter before the winter trimmed it back. If
it's still there under the new owners I bet it will be gigantic this
year.

> I also grow New Zealand spinach, seeds easily found on the net. Not an
> herb or a spice but a vegetable. Reseeds readily and heavily. First
> green plant of the year to bear in early spring. Leaves are fleshy and
> fairly tasty as a cooked green. I dehydrate a lot of the stuff and keep
> it handy to thicken stews and soups. Dump in a handful and it also adds
> flavor and some vegetable taste to soups and stews.

Now that we only have a few pots on a deck I'm interested in perennial
veggies. Not easy to find. Scratch rhubarb as my wife's allergic.
Scratch asparagus as it takes too much dirt to fit in a pot. That
leaves very obscure ones like "sea kale" that I can't find in shops.

> We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
> feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary?

We used to live in Los Angeles metro. There they plant rosemary along
the freeways. They don't water or food it. Every so often a car goes
off the road and the rosemerry forrest absorbs and eats the minerals
from the car. Semi-arid kudzu.

> Lost
> my leaf celery to drought last year. Waiting until we move to buy more
> seed. One of the handiest plants we've ever grown. Don't have to buy a
> stalk of celery that will go bad before we can use it up. The leaf
> celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
> gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

Gloria P mentioned lovage as an herb that tastes like celery. It grows
well in Chicago's climate. The year we grew it it produced many times
the amount of celery flavor we could handle.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> [...]

>put in dill pickles, to me it has a stronger taste than the seeds. Lost
>my leaf celery to drought last year. Waiting until we move to buy more
>seed. One of the handiest plants we've ever grown. Don't have to buy a
>stalk of celery that will go bad before we can use it up. The leaf
>celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."
>
>Sounds like your season is underway Susan. We've been putting up green
>beans and such for a month or more now. Picked a tomato Friday that
>weighed about half a pound, turned it into bacon, lettuce, and tomato
>sandwiches. Tomato and lettuce from our garden, bacon from the store,
>home made bread, tasty, tasty. Lettuce is bolting so no more home grown
>until fall.
>
>George, getting ready to grill a ribeye, some yellow squash and a couple

Where do you get your leaf celery seeds? I had some several years ago
and I no longer remember where I got it. Hope it is somewhere that
has other seeds I need or want. Postage on a single package of seed
is not worth it.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 20 May 2012 11:04:52 -0400, The Cook >
wrote:

> [...]

>>celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>>gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."
>>
>>Sounds like your season is underway Susan. We've been putting up green
>>beans and such for a month or more now. Picked a tomato Friday that
>>weighed about half a pound, turned it into bacon, lettuce, and tomato
>>sandwiches. Tomato and lettuce from our garden, bacon from the store,
>>home made bread, tasty, tasty. Lettuce is bolting so no more home grown
>>until fall.
>>
>>George, getting ready to grill a ribeye, some yellow squash and a couple
>>of Japanese eggplant

>Where do you get your leaf celery seeds? I had some several years ago
>and I no longer remember where I got it. Hope it is somewhere that
>has other seeds I need or want. Postage on a single package of seed

fwiw: we have asian stores here and they sell the seeds close to the
checkout lanes.

Alec\x
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/20/2012 10:04 AM, The Cook wrote:
> [...]

>> celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>> gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."
>>
>> Sounds like your season is underway Susan. We've been putting up green
>> beans and such for a month or more now. Picked a tomato Friday that
>> weighed about half a pound, turned it into bacon, lettuce, and tomato
>> sandwiches. Tomato and lettuce from our garden, bacon from the store,
>> home made bread, tasty, tasty. Lettuce is bolting so no more home grown
>> until fall.
>>
>> George, getting ready to grill a ribeye, some yellow squash and a couple
>> of Japanese eggplant

> Where do you get your leaf celery seeds? I had some several years ago
> and I no longer remember where I got it. Hope it is somewhere that
> has other seeds I need or want. Postage on a single package of seed

I think I got it from Johnny's Seeds, they should have an online
presence. If not just do a Google on "leaf celery" may be someone near
you has it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

> [...]

>>celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>>gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."
>>
>>Sounds like your season is underway Susan. We've been putting up green
>>beans and such for a month or more now. Picked a tomato Friday that
>>weighed about half a pound, turned it into bacon, lettuce, and tomato
>>sandwiches. Tomato and lettuce from our garden, bacon from the store,
>>home made bread, tasty, tasty. Lettuce is bolting so no more home grown
>>until fall.
>>
>>George, getting ready to grill a ribeye, some yellow squash and a couple
>>of Japanese eggplant

>Where do you get your leaf celery seeds? I had some several years ago
>and I no longer remember where I got it. Hope it is somewhere that
>has other seeds I need or want. Postage on a single package of seed

Just checked my listing of seeds and discovered that I should have
some for cutting celery. When I saw where I got it I started looking
more closely for their packages and found mine.

Mine came from superseeds.com. Their shipping rates are pretty
reasonable. They also have a good selection of out of the ordinary
seeds.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery? Lee

who is working out the lower salt food plan for the dh
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> [...]
>>> beans and such for a month or more now. Picked a tomato Friday that
>>> weighed about half a pound, turned it into bacon, lettuce, and tomato
>>> sandwiches. Tomato and lettuce from our garden, bacon from the store,
>>> home made bread, tasty, tasty. Lettuce is bolting so no more home grown
>>> until fall.
>>>
>>> George, getting ready to grill a ribeye, some yellow squash and a couple
>>> of Japanese eggplant

>> Where do you get your leaf celery seeds? I had some several years ago
>> and I no longer remember where I got it. Hope it is somewhere that
>> has other seeds I need or want. Postage on a single package of seed
>> is not worth it.

> I think I got it from Johnny's Seeds, they should have an online presence.
> If not just do a Google on "leaf celery" may be someone near you has it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 21 May 2012 11:36:47 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery? Lee
>
>who is working out the lower salt food plan for the dh

Cutting celery (afina) looks like parsley so I would suppose that you
would use it in the same quantities as parsley. It is not stalks.

>"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
>> On 5/20/2012 10:04 AM, The Cook wrote:
>>> On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley

>>> Where do you get your leaf celery seeds? I had some several years ago
>>> and I no longer remember where I got it. Hope it is somewhere that
>>> has other seeds I need or want. Postage on a single package of seed
>>> is not worth it.

>> I think I got it from Johnny's Seeds, they should have an online presence.
>> If not just do a Google on "leaf celery" may be someone near you has it.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/21/2012 11:36 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery? Lee
>
> who is working out the lower salt food plan for the dh

Salt content on home grown vegetables is going to depend upon the amount
of salt in your soil Lee. Plants don't make salt, just absorb it, at
least that's what I learned in one course in agriculture a thousand
years ago. Herbivores eat vegetation that has absorbed salt, then are
eaten by carnivores who get their salt from the herbivores. We eat both
of them so much of our salt intake comes from eating meat and vegetables
grown on soil with salt in it.

I've been off salt for about 25 years, never salt the food I'm cooking
or eating and read the labels on everything packaged.

We don't have much salt in our soil here according to tests we've run,
and the geologists tell me that 50K years ago our soil was at the bottom
of the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of rain tends to leech the salt out and take
it down deeper.

How did you find out how much salt was in the celery you were buying, or
was it home grown?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

let me try again i accidentally emailled instead of posting.

i read an article years ago about the large amount of salt that is naturally
occurring in celery, then on another group a woman posted a link i no longer
have about it when her water retention went way up... like broccoli which
has a large amount of whatever it is that is used to make aspirine, Lee
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 5/21/2012 11:36 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery? Lee
>>
>> who is working out the lower salt food plan for the dh

> Salt content on home grown vegetables is going to depend upon the amount
> of salt in your soil Lee. Plants don't make salt, just absorb it, at least
> that's what I learned in one course in agriculture a thousand years ago.
> Herbivores eat vegetation that has absorbed salt, then are eaten by
> carnivores who get their salt from the herbivores. We eat both of them so
> much of our salt intake comes from eating meat and vegetables grown on
> soil with salt in it.
>
> I've been off salt for about 25 years, never salt the food I'm cooking or
> eating and read the labels on everything packaged.
>
> We don't have much salt in our soil here according to tests we've run, and
> the geologists tell me that 50K years ago our soil was at the bottom of
> the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of rain tends to leech the salt out and take it
> down deeper.
>
> How did you find out how much salt was in the celery you were buying, or
> was it home grown?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Storrmmee wrote:

> my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery?

When you see "uncured" hot dogs at Trader Joes you'll see celery seeds
listed in the ingredients. It turns out the celery seeds concentrate
nitrates from the soil so when celery seeds are put into meat they cause
curing. It's rather like adding apple juice to a recipe so you can
claim it was made with no added sugar.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

interesting, thanks, Lee
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>>
>> my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery?

> When you see "uncured" hot dogs at Trader Joes you'll see celery seeds
> listed in the ingredients. It turns out the celery seeds concentrate
> nitrates from the soil so when celery seeds are put into meat they cause
> curing. It's rather like adding apple juice to a recipe so you can
> claim it was made with no added sugar.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> I now have 16 American Harvest trays of oregano drying. I am drying
> it on the stems. Much easier than trying to get it off the stem
> before drying. This is just ordinary oregano.
>
> I have another plant which is supposed to be Greek oregano. Will do
> it as soon as this stuff finished. Actually almost all of my
> perennial herbs need to be cut and preserved somehow. My thyme plant
> is huge going over the side of the raised bed. Nice to see something
> really producing.

How much will get out of 16 jars, Susan? And what in sam hill will you
do with all of it? Gifts? Do you dry parsley? I've only ever thought
dried parsley was good for garnishing potato salad. :-\
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 23 May 2012 09:15:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> I now have 16 American Harvest trays of oregano drying. I am drying
>> it on the stems. Much easier than trying to get it off the stem
>> before drying. This is just ordinary oregano.
>>
>> I have another plant which is supposed to be Greek oregano. Will do
>> it as soon as this stuff finished. Actually almost all of my
>> perennial herbs need to be cut and preserved somehow. My thyme plant
>> is huge going over the side of the raised bed. Nice to see something
>> really producing.

>How much will get out of 16 jars, Susan? And what in sam hill will you
>do with all of it? Gifts? Do you dry parsley? I've only ever thought
>dried parsley was good for garnishing potato salad. :-\

The 16 American Harvest trays yielded almost 2 quarts of leaves. I
don't crush them until I am ready to use them and just rub them in my
hand. The Greek oregano also filled 16 trays. Got to strip the stems
this afternoon and then to cut back the Thyme. I have 3 machines and
24 trays. From the looks of the thyme plant I am going to use all of
them to dry it.

I just cut a 3+ pound head of cabbage. I also pulled some of those
things you can't stand.

I am taking some oregano to my SIL in Florida. We are staying with
her and going to a Neil Diamond concert.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/23/2012 9:15 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> The > wrote:
>
>> I now have 16 American Harvest trays of oregano drying. I am drying
>> it on the stems. Much easier than trying to get it off the stem
>> before drying. This is just ordinary oregano.
>>
>> I have another plant which is supposed to be Greek oregano. Will do
>> it as soon as this stuff finished. Actually almost all of my
>> perennial herbs need to be cut and preserved somehow. My thyme plant
>> is huge going over the side of the raised bed. Nice to see something
>> really producing.

> How much will get out of 16 jars, Susan? And what in sam hill will you
> do with all of it? Gifts? Do you dry parsley? I've only ever thought
> dried parsley was good for garnishing potato salad. :-\

I also dry parsley, add it to soups and stews in the winter when there
is no fresh. Dried herbs have a stronger flavor than fresh and you can
also use less at a time.

Boo hoo, most of our oregano quit growing when we had the two-year
drought, finally had to actually buy some for the first time in twenty
odd years. Now that we're getting normal rain both my Greek and Spanish
oregano are coming back.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/23/2012 10:05 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 09:15:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> The > wrote:
>>
>>> I now have 16 American Harvest trays of oregano drying. I am drying
>>> it on the stems. Much easier than trying to get it off the stem
>>> before drying. This is just ordinary oregano.
>>>
>>> I have another plant which is supposed to be Greek oregano. Will do
>>> it as soon as this stuff finished. Actually almost all of my
>>> perennial herbs need to be cut and preserved somehow. My thyme plant
>>> is huge going over the side of the raised bed. Nice to see something
>>> really producing.

>> How much will get out of 16 jars, Susan? And what in sam hill will you
>> do with all of it? Gifts? Do you dry parsley? I've only ever thought
>> dried parsley was good for garnishing potato salad. :-\

> The 16 American Harvest trays yielded almost 2 quarts of leaves. I
> don't crush them until I am ready to use them and just rub them in my
> hand. The Greek oregano also filled 16 trays. Got to strip the stems
> this afternoon and then to cut back the Thyme. I have 3 machines and
> 24 trays. From the looks of the thyme plant I am going to use all of
> them to dry it.
>
> I just cut a 3+ pound head of cabbage. I also pulled some of those
> things you can't stand.
>
> I am taking some oregano to my SIL in Florida. We are staying with
> her and going to a Neil Diamond concert.

Miz Anne has four siblings in Maryland. They get upset if we don't send
them dried herbs, jams and jellies on birthdays and at Christmas. A good
deal of the herbs we dry go to them and to our kids and grandkids. Not
to forget all the friends we have around the US.

I didn't even know Neil Diamond was still alive. His music came along a
little after our teen years. Lately I've been listening to a lot of
Lebanese belly dancing music, helps pass the time quicker when I'm
writing tech manuals. Next week it might be jazz or swing. I've got over
200 22 1/3 albums dating back to the mid-fifties I'm thinking about
hawking online. That doesn't include the 400 cassette tapes or the 100
or so CD's. We both like music.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 5/23/2012 9:15 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > How much will get out of 16 jars, Susan? And what in sam hill will you
> > do with all of it? Gifts? Do you dry parsley? I've only ever thought
> > dried parsley was good for garnishing potato salad. :-\

> I also dry parsley, add it to soups and stews in the winter when there
> is no fresh. Dried herbs have a stronger flavor than fresh and you can
> also use less at a time.

Sorry, Jorge, I'm standing by my opinion that dried parsley is good only
for garnishing potato salad. You're wrong. I'm right. '-) If you
can't find fresh parsley in your local supermarket in the winter,
Sulphur is in bad shape! <grin> I can find it up here in south Canada
year round -- for less than a buck for a bunch that will last a month,
properly cared for.

> Boo hoo, most of our oregano quit growing when we had the two-year
> drought, finally had to actually buy some for the first time in twenty
> odd years. Now that we're getting normal rain both my Greek and Spanish
> oregano are coming back.

Heh!! Dormant, eh? Good on ya!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/24/2012 7:25 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In ws.com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> On 5/23/2012 9:15 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> How much will get out of 16 jars, Susan? And what in sam hill will you
>>> do with all of it? Gifts? Do you dry parsley? I've only ever thought
>>> dried parsley was good for garnishing potato salad. :-\

>> I also dry parsley, add it to soups and stews in the winter when there
>> is no fresh. Dried herbs have a stronger flavor than fresh and you can
>> also use less at a time.

> Sorry, Jorge, I'm standing by my opinion that dried parsley is good only
> for garnishing potato salad. You're wrong. I'm right. '-) If you
> can't find fresh parsley in your local supermarket in the winter,
> Sulphur is in bad shape!<grin> I can find it up here in south Canada
> year round -- for less than a buck for a bunch that will last a month,
> properly cared for.
>>
>> Boo hoo, most of our oregano quit growing when we had the two-year
>> drought, finally had to actually buy some for the first time in twenty
>> odd years. Now that we're getting normal rain both my Greek and Spanish
>> oregano are coming back.

> Heh!! Dormant, eh? Good on ya!

We took an Aegean Sea cruise in 1985, lots of little islands that the
cruise ship got close to that we could see the wild oregano growing on
them. Only fresh water the stuff got was the odd rain shower. Herbs have
to be tough to survive.

Always wondered what the first human thought as he or, more likely, she
took a bite of a new herb. And who learned to combine which herb with
certain meats and other dishes?

You gotta wonder.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/24/2012 8:07 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Always wondered what the first human thought as he or, more likely, she
> took a bite of a new herb. And who learned to combine which herb with
> certain meats and other dishes?
>
> You gotta wonder.

Don't you think people were attracted by the aromas of the herbs?
And when you're cooking, can't you imagine how a certain herb would
taste in the dish?

Scent has a LOT of influence in cooking.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Always wondered what the first human thought as he or,
> more likely, she took a bite of a new herb.

> You gotta wonder.

So anyway, a friend of mine was collecting ramps,
which I introduced him to,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum

in his woods a few weeks ago,
and while he was gathering some with his son,
he noticed another plant.
I think he was very taken with the concept
of tramping through the woods
and feasting on the available flora,
so he ate a leaf from the other plant.
It had no disgreeable taste and the leaf was tender
and he felt fine for about forty five minutes.
His son tasted it and spit it out.

We later identified the plant as false hellebore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_viride

It turns out that the false hellebore
is one of the most (if not *the* most) poisonous
green plants that grow in those woods,
and that was the time of the year when they are at their
peak toxicity and he almost died.

Every once in a while I pull up some weed
like wild parsnip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsnip
which we cook,
or a young wild carrot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_carrot
and start munching.

I think a gave him the false impression
that grabbing plants to eat,
while taking a walk outdoors,
is a simpler matter than it really is.

--
pete

Posted to rec.food.preserving

pete wrote:

> So anyway, a friend of mine was collecting ramps,
> which I introduced him to,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum
>
> in his woods a few weeks ago,
> and while he was gathering some with his son,
> he noticed another plant.
> I think he was very taken with the concept
> of tramping through the woods
> and feasting on the available flora,
> so he ate a leaf from the other plant.
> It had no disgreeable taste and the leaf was tender
> and he felt fine for about forty five minutes.
> His son tasted it and spit it out.
>
> We later identified the plant as false hellebore.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_viride
>
> It turns out that the false hellebore
> is one of the most (if not *the* most) poisonous
> green plants that grow in those woods,
> and that was the time of the year when they are at their
> peak toxicity and he almost died.

An herbalist friend likes to tromp through the woods indentifying plant
species. Sometimes she collects them and plants them at home. She has
a vast variety of herbs in her garden at this point. When I visit next
month I'll take home one we've already discussed and make hops free
herbal ale. Second year, second different herb in the ale. Last year
it was woodruff (the spice used in German May wine). Very popular.
This year it will be meadow sweet.

One time she came back with from the woods with no herbs and her hands
away from her body. She said she needed to take a shower. Came back
later with fresh clothes. Whatever she'd been in was so toxic that
just from touching it she was in danger. Something in the nighshade
family she said.

I'll let the herbalists do that wild collection stuff. I'm adventurous
cooking herbs into my food but I do it with the ones that are safe
enough to make it to a shop.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/25/2012 12:58 PM, pete wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Always wondered what the first human thought as he or,
>> more likely, she took a bite of a new herb.

>> You gotta wonder.

> So anyway, a friend of mine was collecting ramps,
> which I introduced him to,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum
>
> in his woods a few weeks ago,
> and while he was gathering some with his son,
> he noticed another plant.
> I think he was very taken with the concept
> of tramping through the woods
> and feasting on the available flora,
> so he ate a leaf from the other plant.
> It had no disgreeable taste and the leaf was tender
> and he felt fine for about forty five minutes.
> His son tasted it and spit it out.
>
> We later identified the plant as false hellebore.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_viride
>
> It turns out that the false hellebore
> is one of the most (if not *the* most) poisonous
> green plants that grow in those woods,
> and that was the time of the year when they are at their
> peak toxicity and he almost died.
>
> Every once in a while I pull up some weed
> like wild parsnip
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsnip
> which we cook,
> or a young wild carrot
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_carrot
> and start munching.
>
> I think a gave him the false impression
> that grabbing plants to eat,
> while taking a walk outdoors,
> is a simpler matter than it really is.

Unless you know exactly which plant is which "grazing" can either kill
you or seriously disable you. Your friend was lucky he survived.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/25/2012 11:58 AM, pete wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_viride
>
> It turns out that the false hellebore
> is one of the most (if not *the* most) poisonous
> green plants that grow in those woods,
> and that was the time of the year when they are at their
> peak toxicity and he almost died.

Poison hemlock grows in the wild here (CO) and doesn't look at all like
eastern evergreen hemlock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conium

Good advice is "If you don't know what it is, don't pick it."

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/25/2012 5:13 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 5/25/2012 11:58 AM, pete wrote:
>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_viride
>>
>> It turns out that the false hellebore
>> is one of the most (if not *the* most) poisonous
>> green plants that grow in those woods,
>> and that was the time of the year when they are at their
>> peak toxicity and he almost died.
>>

> Poison hemlock grows in the wild here (CO) and doesn't look at all like
> eastern evergreen hemlock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conium
>
> Good advice is "If you don't know what it is, don't pick it."
>
> gloria p

Even better advice, "Damned sure don't eat it if you are absolutely
positive what it is."

I can identify chickweed and we sometimes add it to salads, along with
nasturtiums and violet blossoms.

Tomorrow I will be drying fernleaf dill, oregano, and some basil.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:

> Poison hemlock grows in the wild here (CO)
> and doesn't look at all like
> eastern evergreen hemlock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conium

But it *has* been mistaken for parsnip.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22po...O-8859-1&gbv=1

Results 1 - 10 of about 65,300 for "poison hemlock" parsnip.

> Good advice is "If you don't know what it is, don't pick it."

I agree.

--
pete

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > , George
Shirley > wrote:

> Unless you know exactly which plant is which "grazing" can either kill
> you or seriously disable you. Your friend was lucky he survived.

A visit here may be in order...

<http://www.alnwickgarden.com/explore/whats-here/the-poison-garden>

--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> On 5/25/2012 12:58 PM, pete wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >
> >> Always wondered what the first human thought as he or,
> >> more likely, she took a bite of a new herb.

> >> You gotta wonder.

> > So anyway,

> Unless you know exactly which plant is which "grazing" can either kill
> you or seriously disable you.

I agree.

> Your friend was lucky he survived.

I agree.

So anyway,
getting back to your musing about
the first human to take a bite of a new herb:

I think that the first human to take a bite of a new herb,
might have employed a safety philosophy
which was more complicated than
knowing "exactly which plant is which",
especially if they intended to continue to be
the first human to take bites of new herbs.

--
pete
Posted to rec.food.preserving

pete wrote:

> I think that the first human to take a bite of a new herb,
> might have employed a safety philosophy
> which was more complicated than
> knowing "exactly which plant is which",
> especially if they intended to continue to be
> the first human to take bites of new herbs.

Bryson touches on it in his latest book about homes, the unknown process
where relatively benign plants, but useless as food crops, such as
members of the grass family, became maize (what people in the US call
corn) and wheat.

What's not only unkown, but amazing is the process where poisons plants such
as the ancestors of tomatos, eggplant and potatoes became not only safe
to eat, but food crops.

Geoff.

To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150 Facebooks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> pete wrote:
> >
> > I think that the first human to take a bite of a new herb,
> > might have employed a safety philosophy
> > which was more complicated than
> > knowing "exactly which plant is which",
> > especially if they intended to continue to be
> > the first human to take bites of new herbs.
> >

> Bryson touches on it in his latest book about homes,
> the unknown process
> where relatively benign plants, but useless as food crops, such as
> members of the grass family, became maize (what people in the US call
> corn) and wheat.
>
> What's not only unkown,
> but amazing is the process where poisons plants such
> as the ancestors of tomatos,
> eggplant and potatoes became not only safe
> to eat, but food crops.

Potatoes are more complicated than being simpley "safe to eat".
When the tubers either
turn green from too much exposure to light
or if the tubers are bruised or otherwise damaged,
they become poisonous.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/about_green_potatoes/

http://www.ehow.com/info_7786126_bru...s-harmful.html

--
pete
Posted to rec.food.preserving

My Greek oregano is doing well (finally) this year. Common sage too, finally spreading, as is the Greek oregano. I have some lemon balm that sprung up at the opposite end of my raised herb beds--hurricane Ike blew the seeds down there. I thought that was amusing. Harvested some basil and a bit of everything else, including rosemary and made some herb pesto today. We smeared it on some salmon and grilled it. Yum. George, I killed quite a few rosemary plants before the two I have now took off. I really don't have much of a green thumb. If I plant it and walk away, don't fuss over anything much and water when I think about it, especially during long periods without rain, I do okay. If I fuss over it, it dies.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/28/2012 6:43 PM, Mimi wrote:
> My Greek oregano is doing well (finally) this year. Common sage too, finally spreading, as is the Greek oregano. I have some lemon balm that sprung up at the opposite end of my raised herb beds--hurricane Ike blew the seeds down there. I thought that was amusing. Harvested some basil and a bit of everything else, including rosemary and made some herb pesto today. We smeared it on some salmon and grilled it. Yum. George, I killed quite a few rosemary plants before the two I have now took off. I really don't have much of a green thumb. If I plant it and walk away, don't fuss over anything much and water when I think about it, especially during long periods without rain, I do okay. If I fuss over it, it dies.

Oregano does pretty well on its own, we finally got sage to grew for us
three years ago, the two-year drought killed it. We have to murder
rosemary to get rid of it. Every where a limb touches the ground a new
tree starts as the rosemary grows roots on the limbs. We have at least a
hundred years worth of rosemary dried and in a sealed jar. We use it on
chicken, occasionally on fish, and often with cooked carrots. Oregano
goes into any dish with a tomato based sauce as does basil.

Dill comes up from seed heads every year and we haven't bought seed in
years. I like the fernleaf dill as I put it in dill pickles and it gives
a better taste, in my opinion, than dill seed.

Today we harvest a dozen tomatoes and about that many Gypsy sweet
chiles. Gave each of the three guys who had been working on the house
two maters, a sweet chile, and a half-pint jar of pear jelly made last
fall. I thought they were going to kiss me.

The repairs to the soffitts is done, took eight working days to do the
job plus a lot of lumber and shingles. House looks great now. Soon as
the boss lady gets her art room cleaned out where I can get in there and
paint and polish we will put it on the market. We're planning on
relocating to either Kingwood or Spring, probably Spring (pronounces
"Sprang" in Texas) as housing is cheaper there and so are real estate
taxes. Kids nixed us moving to Livingston as we would still be an hour
and a half from them so we've been looking elsewhere. Probably will go
over early next week and look in person at the houses we've been looking
at online.

If we get that close Mimi I will be out scouting for your secret
dewberry patch. <G>

George