Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Oregano

On 5/21/2012 11:36 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> my question is does it contain less salt than regular celery? Lee
>
> who is working out the lower salt food plan for the dh

Salt content on home grown vegetables is going to depend upon the amount
of salt in your soil Lee. Plants don't make salt, just absorb it, at
least that's what I learned in one course in agriculture a thousand
years ago. Herbivores eat vegetation that has absorbed salt, then are
eaten by carnivores who get their salt from the herbivores. We eat both
of them so much of our salt intake comes from eating meat and vegetables
grown on soil with salt in it.

I've been off salt for about 25 years, never salt the food I'm cooking
or eating and read the labels on everything packaged.

We don't have much salt in our soil here according to tests we've run,
and the geologists tell me that 50K years ago our soil was at the bottom
of the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of rain tends to leech the salt out and take
it down deeper.

How did you find out how much salt was in the celery you were buying, or
was it home grown?