Old 20-05-2012, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Oregano

On 5/19/2012 7:00 PM, Chemiker wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary?

But the big, bushy plant is so gorgeous when it is covered in the tiny
blue flowers if you let it bloom!

celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

George, you talk of "leaf celery". There is a plant, common in Europe,
that tastes just like celery (maybe a little more robust), and it's
commonly referred to as Chinese Celery, but locals have their own
names for it. In Hungary it's called Ujzeller (new celery). Grown for
leaves with insignificant stalks. Could this be what you're growing?

I wondered about that, too. I grow lovage, which looks exactly like
celery leaves on a short, rounded stem (actually not so short by the end
of the season, over 6 ft. tall.) It tastes exactly like celery,
but bit stronger. Very good in salads or soup.

gloria p