Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cuban oregano

I needed some more potting soil for the herbs on the upper deck of Casa
Sammamish, so I stopped at Fred Meyer today. Along with the other herbs,
I found a plant with thick, fuzzy, scalloped leaves. It was Cuban
oregano. I bought a plant, along with a pot of Greek oregano. We had
black bean soup and salad for dinner. I added epazote to the soup and
the Cuban oregano to the salad. I may not have added enough epazote to
the soup because it didn't have much taste to me. OTOH, the Cuban
oregano was muy flavorful. Worth a try if you can find it.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>I needed some more potting soil for the herbs on the upper deck of Casa
> Sammamish, so I stopped at Fred Meyer today. Along with the other herbs,
> I found a plant with thick, fuzzy, scalloped leaves. It was Cuban
> oregano. I bought a plant, along with a pot of Greek oregano. We had
> black bean soup and salad for dinner. I added epazote to the soup and
> the Cuban oregano to the salad. I may not have added enough epazote to
> the soup because it didn't have much taste to me. OTOH, the Cuban
> oregano was muy flavorful. Worth a try if you can find it.
>
> Cindy

How much Epazote do you usually use? And I presume that you have fresh? I
have tried it twice and didn't notice a difference but I was cautious
because online references say to use it sparingly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2013 11:08 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:
> I needed some more potting soil for the herbs on the upper deck of Casa
> Sammamish, so I stopped at Fred Meyer today. Along with the other herbs,
> I found a plant with thick, fuzzy, scalloped leaves. It was Cuban
> oregano. I bought a plant, along with a pot of Greek oregano. We had
> black bean soup and salad for dinner. I added epazote to the soup and
> the Cuban oregano to the salad. I may not have added enough epazote to
> the soup because it didn't have much taste to me. OTOH, the Cuban
> oregano was muy flavorful. Worth a try if you can find it.
>
> Cindy

Have not grown Cuban oregano before, but I have grown Mexican oregano. I
use that fairly often.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 May 2013 21:08:55 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> I needed some more potting soil for the herbs on the upper deck of Casa
> Sammamish, so I stopped at Fred Meyer today. Along with the other herbs,
> I found a plant with thick, fuzzy, scalloped leaves. It was Cuban
> oregano. I bought a plant, along with a pot of Greek oregano. We had
> black bean soup and salad for dinner. I added epazote to the soup and
> the Cuban oregano to the salad. I may not have added enough epazote to
> the soup because it didn't have much taste to me. OTOH, the Cuban
> oregano was muy flavorful. Worth a try if you can find it.

I've never even heard of Cuban oregano, so thanks for the heads up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> >I needed some more potting soil for the herbs on the upper deck of Casa
> > Sammamish, so I stopped at Fred Meyer today. Along with the other herbs,
> > I found a plant with thick, fuzzy, scalloped leaves. It was Cuban
> > oregano. I bought a plant, along with a pot of Greek oregano. We had
> > black bean soup and salad for dinner. I added epazote to the soup and
> > the Cuban oregano to the salad. I may not have added enough epazote to
> > the soup because it didn't have much taste to me. OTOH, the Cuban
> > oregano was muy flavorful. Worth a try if you can find it.
> >
> > Cindy
> >

> How much Epazote do you usually use? And I presume that you have fresh? I
> have tried it twice and didn't notice a difference but I was cautious
> because online references say to use it sparingly.

I bought two epazote plants at the Yakima Fruit Stand. I probably tore
three good-sized leaves into the soup.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Cuban Oregano ??? pltrgyst[_4_] General Cooking 3 30-11-2013 10:13 PM
Oregano Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 39 09-10-2012 03:38 PM
Oregano The Cook Preserving 35 30-05-2012 07:50 PM
An embarrassment of Oregano General Cooking 17 25-05-2006 05:05 PM
Help with Cuban Oregano Kswck General Cooking 9 14-07-2004 10:54 AM