Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Oregano

On 5/19/2012 8:00 PM, Chemiker wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:45:42 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> We also have problems with rosemary, the dratted bush will grow four
>> feet high and around in one season. Who needs that much rosemary? Dill
>> readily reseeds here so we always have plenty. I grow fernleaf dill to
>> put in dill pickles, to me it has a stronger taste than the seeds. Lost
>> my leaf celery to drought last year. Waiting until we move to buy more
>> seed. One of the handiest plants we've ever grown. Don't have to buy a
>> stalk of celery that will go bad before we can use it up. The leaf
>> celery can be cut fresh and added to salads and whatever is cooking and
>> gives it a good flavor. Sometimes known as "cutting celery."

> George, you talk of "leaf celery". There is a plant, common in Europe,
> that tastes just like celery (maybe a little more robust), and it's
> commonly referred to as Chinese Celery, but locals have their own
> names for it. In Hungary it's called Ujzeller (new celery). Grown for
> leaves with insignificant stalks. Could this be what you're growing?

Most likely.

> What is your Zone? I'm on the Gulf Coast, so it's in the 7-8-9 range.

USDA zone 9b, SW Louisiana. When and if we move back to Texas we will be
in the same zone in Harris County.

> Also, rosemary of the R. prostata variant grows as a ground cover,
> broad and flat. Flavor's OK, but not as aromatic as the Tuscan Blue
> and its brethren. Hint: Rosemary makes a neat bonsai, which means it
> can be grown in pots. I have 4 plants of different cultivars, all
> "erecta" and I let them grow at will. Come Christmas, there are
> Rosemary wreathes about the house (they make neat gifts, too).

My lovely wife insisted on planting the rosemary in the middle of my
herb garden. The !@@#$% stuff is taking over. Ripped out the first one
and darned if she didn't get a new one. I don't care for rosemary, grew
up in a pine forest and the stuff tastes very similar. I use it for
chicken and other fowl but sparingly.