Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Freezing Question

Good morning!

I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them for a
few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?

Thanks.

David.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
" David" > wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them for a
> few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David.

I wouldn't, David. :-( The zucchini are pretty wet to start with and
I think after freezing they'll be mushy. You might be able to re-crisp
the battered coating by reheating on a baking sheet in the oven but the
inside won't do well.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> I wouldn't, David. :-( The zucchini are pretty wet to start with and
> I think after freezing they'll be mushy. You might be able to re-crisp
> the battered coating by reheating on a baking sheet in the oven but the
> inside won't do well.

Reheating in an oven won't be an option. How about reheating by sauteing?

Thanks.
David.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Oops! I should have asked also:

How about the part I need for tomorrow evening? Will it be better off
refrigerated until then, or at room temperature?

Thanks.
David.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

David wrote:
>> I wouldn't, David. :-( The zucchini are pretty wet to start with and
>> I think after freezing they'll be mushy. You might be able to re-crisp
>> the battered coating by reheating on a baking sheet in the oven but the
>> inside won't do well.

> Reheating in an oven won't be an option. How about reheating by sauteing?

Uh... no. They'll be greasy. Crisping in a 400:F oven would be the
preferred method.

At this point, you might want to remove the coating and do something
else with the zucchini where mushy won't matter; like as a layer in a
multi-veg terrine or a "zucchini ganoush."

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

" David" > wrote in message
> Oops! I should have asked also:
>
> How about the part I need for tomorrow evening? Will it be better off
> refrigerated until then, or at room temperature?

You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking food
poisoning.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> " David" > wrote in message
>
>>Oops! I should have asked also:
>>
>>How about the part I need for tomorrow evening? Will it be better off
>>refrigerated until then, or at room temperature?

> You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking food
> poisoning.

The 2 hour rule usually applies to protein containing foods ( not firm
cheeses, however)
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> " David" > wrote in message
>> Oops! I should have asked also:
>>
>> How about the part I need for tomorrow evening? Will it be better off
>> refrigerated until then, or at room temperature?

> You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking food
> poisoning.

Grocery stores ought to keep bins by the door, so you can buy the food
and throw it out immediately.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> " David" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Oops! I should have asked also:
>>>
>>>How about the part I need for tomorrow evening? Will it be better off
>>>refrigerated until then, or at room temperature?

>> You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking
>> food poisoning.

> The 2 hour rule usually applies to protein containing foods ( not firm
> cheeses, however)

True. Or fruits and veg that have not been cut into or prepared in any way.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> " David" > wrote in message
>>> Oops! I should have asked also:
>>>
>>> How about the part I need for tomorrow evening? Will it be better off
>>> refrigerated until then, or at room temperature?

>> You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking
>> food poisoning.

> Grocery stores ought to keep bins by the door, so you can buy the food and
> throw it out immediately.

I meant prepared food. Not safe to leave it at room temp. for over 2 hours.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:30:47 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking
>>> food poisoning.

>> The 2 hour rule usually applies to protein containing foods ( not firm
>> cheeses, however)

>True. Or fruits and veg that have not been cut into or prepared in any way.

On Monday I cut a tomato in half at lunch time. Used part of it, and
put the remainder cut side down on a plate and left it on a counter.
On Wednesday noon it was still just fine. This was not the first time
I have done this.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:30:47 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

>>> The 2 hour rule usually applies to protein containing foods ( not firm
>>> cheeses, however)

>>True. Or fruits and veg that have not been cut into or prepared in any
>>way.
>>

> On Monday I cut a tomato in half at lunch time. Used part of it, and
> put the remainder cut side down on a plate and left it on a counter.
> On Wednesday noon it was still just fine. This was not the first time
> I have done this.

Eesh. I would never do that.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ann Ann is offline

"Julie Bove" > expounded:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:30:47 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

>>>True. Or fruits and veg that have not been cut into or prepared in any
>>>way.
>>>

>> On Monday I cut a tomato in half at lunch time. Used part of it, and
>> put the remainder cut side down on a plate and left it on a counter.
>> On Wednesday noon it was still just fine. This was not the first time
>> I have done this.

>Eesh. I would never do that.

Hasn't killed me yet, either ;->
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You can't keep something at room temp. for over 2 hours without risking
>>> food poisoning.

>> Grocery stores ought to keep bins by the door, so you can buy the food and
>> throw it out immediately.

> I meant prepared food. Not safe to leave it at room temp. for over 2 hours.

Then don't prepare it.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:30:47 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

>>>True. Or fruits and veg that have not been cut into or prepared in any
>>>way.
>>>

>> On Monday I cut a tomato in half at lunch time. Used part of it, and
>> put the remainder cut side down on a plate and left it on a counter.
>> On Wednesday noon it was still just fine. This was not the first time
>> I have done this.

> Eesh. I would never do that.

There were no people in the world prior to the invention of a
refrigerator. They evolved, and then immediately died.

B/