Posted to rec.food.cooking
Diane

Default Question about freezing

Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but what
if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw mince,
then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce - can you then
re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?

Many thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chef Fagin

"Diane" > wrote in message
> Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but what
> if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw mince,
> then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce - can you then
> re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?
>
> Many thanks for your help.

Absolutely. You can refreeze it and it will still be good for 3 to 4 times
as long than if you simply refrigerated it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Diane" > wrote in message
> Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but
> what if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw
> mince, then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce -
> can you then re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?

Yes you may.

In fact you can refreeze partially defrosted meat so long as it still
has ice crystals in it. I woudn't refreeze raw mince though.

Once meat is cooked it is like starting out new again as far as freezing
is concerned

Ophelia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Diane" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but what
> if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw mince,
> then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce - can you then
> re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?
>
> Many thanks for your help.

Sure you can! After cooked, all things defrosted, can be frosted again!
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Diane" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Diane" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
>>> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but
>>> what if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw
>>> mince, then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce - can
>>> you then re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your help.

>> Sure you can! After cooked, all things defrosted, can be frosted again!
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>>

> Many thanks Chef, Pandora and Ophelia, that is just what I wanted to know!

Good!
Pan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Diane

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Diane" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
>> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but
>> what if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw
>> mince, then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce - can
>> you then re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?
>>
>> Many thanks for your help.

> Sure you can! After cooked, all things defrosted, can be frosted again!
> Cheers
> Pandora

Many thanks Chef, Pandora and Ophelia, that is just what I wanted to know!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ward Abbott

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:43:41 GMT, "Diane" > wrote:

>>> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted,

Why...? only because the "quality" of the product diminishes...but
you WON'T die from doing it.....just an old wives tale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message

> Why...? only because the "quality" of the product diminishes...but
> you WON'T die from doing it.....just an old wives tale.

That's right - as long as the meat has stayed cold, refreezing is perfectly
safe.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Peter Aitken wrote:

>>Why...? only because the "quality" of the product diminishes...but
>>you WON'T die from doing it.....just an old wives tale.
>>

> That's right - as long as the meat has stayed cold, refreezing is perfectly
> safe.

There's *no* safety issue with refreezing meats.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Diane wrote:

> Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this.
> I know you shouldn't refreeze raw meat etc once it has defrosted, but what
> if you defrost it and then cook it? Say you freeze a pack of raw mince,
> then defrost it, then cook it and make say bolognaise sauce - can you then
> re-freeze the bolognaise sauce after it has been cooked?
>
> Many thanks for your help.

I don't know about bolognaise sauce, but you can thaw, cook, and refreeze
meat. I've been doing it for years without problems. I often thaw
hamburger and make spaghetti sauce, chili, enchaladas, etc and refreeze. I
freeze cooked meatloaf made from thawed hamburger. A lot of times when I
grill, I thaw a lot of meat - pork, beef, and chicken - grill, and
refreeze.

I have even refrozen uncooked meat, though I am NOT recommending that you
do so. Those meats were always ones that would be thoroughly cooked -
never any that would be served medium or less.

Elaine, too