Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing Blueberries question

So, I've got 4 lbs of fresh blueberries. I'd like to freeze some plain
and some as a sauce. I did this before with strawberries (placed fresh
berries in a ziploc with some sugar - freeze, once thawed it was
sauce-like) I'd like to do the same with the blueberries. What do you
think the ratio for sugar to berries should be? 1 cup of sugar to
every quart of berries?

JaKe
Seattle

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jkdrummer asks:
> So, I've got 4 lbs of fresh blueberries. I'd like to freeze some plain
> and some as a sauce. I did this before with strawberries (placed fresh
> berries in a ziploc with some sugar - freeze, once thawed it was
> sauce-like) I'd like to do the same with the blueberries. What do you
> think the ratio for sugar to berries should be? 1 cup of sugar to
> every quart of berries?

http://blueberries.com

Sheldon Beebleberry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holding Lamb Chops

I have a pliers like tool for holding the end of the rib of a Frenched
lamb chop while cutting (or eating) it. Any idea of the name of this
tool and where I can purchase more?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote

> I do rinse them and freeze them on a tray, then bag them, so if you are
> just pluking them into a bag, YMMV

My ex-mil, famous for her blueberry pies, did just that. They'd go
picking once a year and she'd freeze them in baggies.

I don't know if she pluked them, though. (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> So, I've got 4 lbs of fresh blueberries. I'd like to freeze some plain
> and some as a sauce. I did this before with strawberries (placed fresh
> berries in a ziploc with some sugar - freeze, once thawed it was
> sauce-like) I'd like to do the same with the blueberries. What do you
> think the ratio for sugar to berries should be? 1 cup of sugar to
> every quart of berries?
>
> JaKe
> Seattle

=================
Right now I have two quarts or blueberries in a zip lock bag in the
freezer, but I don't want them to be saucy, so I did not put any sugar in
them. I toss them into a batter frozen and make blueberry muffins. You
could also throw a few into pancake batter for blueberry pancakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> So, I've got 4 lbs of fresh blueberries. I'd like to freeze some plain
> and some as a sauce. I did this before with strawberries (placed fresh
> berries in a ziploc with some sugar - freeze, once thawed it was
> sauce-like) I'd like to do the same with the blueberries. What do you
> think the ratio for sugar to berries should be? 1 cup of sugar to
> every quart of berries?
>
> JaKe
> Seattle

I'd reconsider, Jake. I don't consider blueberries to be a juicy fruit.
I *think* a common commercial strawberry pack for berries with sugar is
5%.

I'd freeze them loose on a cookie sheet and then bag them. But that's
just me. The thought of blueberry "sauce" makes my teeth hurt.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-27-06, For The King and His
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have a pliers like tool for holding the end of the rib of a Frenched
> lamb chop while cutting (or eating) it. Any idea of the name of this
> tool and where I can purchase more?

Vice Grips...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I'd reconsider, Jake. I don't consider blueberries to be a juicy fruit.
> I *think* a common commercial strawberry pack for berries with sugar is
> 5%.
>
> I'd freeze them loose on a cookie sheet and then bag them. But that's
> just me.

That's what I do.

> The thought of blueberry "sauce" makes my teeth hurt.

Oh but it's so yummy! You have to cook the berries in a little sugar
syrup until they pop. Cool and thicken with a little cornstarch. They
won't make a syrup all on their own like other berries do.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:
> ========================
> That would be good on a cheesecake.

Yep. I make the syrup and then chill it. Throw fresh bluebs in it
right before I serve it. Heck, it's good as-is! I love living in
blueberry country.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote:

wrote:
>> So, I've got 4 lbs of fresh blueberries. I'd like to freeze some plain
>> and some as a sauce. I did this before with strawberries (placed fresh
>> berries in a ziploc with some sugar - freeze, once thawed it was
>> sauce-like) I'd like to do the same with the blueberries. What do you
>> think the ratio for sugar to berries should be? 1 cup of sugar to
>> every quart of berries?

>blues are tougher than strawberries, and don't release much juice
>unless they are crushed first. I'm basing this on two separate
>experiences:
>1) when I bring blueberries with sugar to work, I don't get a colored
>sauce, just a syrup of the rinse water and sugar combined, and

I'd bet you have a sauce, but because the color in
blueberries is all in the skin, and in strawberries it's
in the flesh, it doesn't extract as easily.

Simmer the mixture for 5-10 minutes, and you'll probably
get the result you want.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message

> I freeze the blackberries from my back garden

How do you manage to keep the birds and other animals away from them?

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...44&cat=2,51555

> and other animals away from them?

Wire fence.

Sheldon Beebleberry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:22:26 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>"TammyM" > wrote in message
>>
>> I freeze the blackberries from my back garden

>How do you manage to keep the birds and other animals away from them?

The birds don't seem to bother them that much, nor do the squirrels.
My yard is completely fenced and besides, there's plenty to go around!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> Feeling guilty for giving a smart-ass answer to a good question, I
> decided to search the web to see if I could find such a utensil.
>
> No, I didn't find it, but I did find this and I thought it was
> pretty funny.
>
> This is a specialty meat vendor in Japan. Scroll down about 6
> products on this page:
>
> <http://www.themeatguy.jp/app/en/products/index?lang=en&show=50&sort=id&direction=desc&page= 3>
>
> Sounds like some good 'ol American humor rather than something
> you'd find on a Japanese site.
>
> -sw

Several of the product descriptions are pretty funny.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:22:26 GMT, "Jen" >
> wrote:
>

> >"TammyM" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I freeze the blackberries from my back garden

> >How do you manage to keep the birds and other animals away from them?

> The birds don't seem to bother them that much, nor do the squirrels.
> My yard is completely fenced and besides, there's plenty to go around!

Obviously you don't live anywhere approaching a rural location....
you've never seen a mob of ravens fighting over strawberries. Even my
landscaping shrubs need to be fenced, who woulda thunk juniper salad.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:31:54 -0600, ms_peacock wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> <http://www.themeatguy.jp/app/en/products/index?lang=en&show=50&sort=id&direction=desc&page= 3>
>>>
>>> Sounds like some good 'ol American humor rather than something
>>> you'd find on a Japanese site.

>> Several of the product descriptions are pretty funny.

> http://www.themeatguy.jp/app/en/products/index/25
>
> "A few things for our vegetarian friends. Even though we think
> that anyone who is a vegetarian is obviously seriously mentally
> challenged we've decided to go ahead and make a few menu
> suggestions. A word of caution, some of these items might contain
> meat..."
>
> [that text is right next 3lbs of strip loin steaks]
>
> -sw

About halfway down the page is this gem;

"Just like the Ruby Red only better! These come with their own half naked
Russian model to hand feed them to you!!
(Occasionally me may be out of Russian models, in which case we will just
ship the grapefruits)
Chilled"

LOL

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Aug 2006 16:33:27 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> I'd reconsider, Jake. I don't consider blueberries to be a juicy fruit.
>> I *think* a common commercial strawberry pack for berries with sugar is
>> 5%.
>>
>> I'd freeze them loose on a cookie sheet and then bag them. But that's
>> just me.

>That's what I do.
>
>> The thought of blueberry "sauce" makes my teeth hurt.

>Oh but it's so yummy! You have to cook the berries in a little sugar
>syrup until they pop. Cool and thicken with a little cornstarch. They
>won't make a syrup all on their own like other berries do.

If you put them in the microwave with US confectioners sugar they
will... that's because the confectioner's sugar in the US has
cornstarch mixed into it already!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On 3 Aug 2006 16:33:27 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd reconsider, Jake. I don't consider blueberries to be a juicy fruit.
>>> I *think* a common commercial strawberry pack for berries with sugar is
>>> 5%.
>>>
>>> I'd freeze them loose on a cookie sheet and then bag them. But that's
>>> just me.

>>That's what I do.
>>
>>> The thought of blueberry "sauce" makes my teeth hurt.

>>Oh but it's so yummy! You have to cook the berries in a little sugar
>>syrup until they pop. Cool and thicken with a little cornstarch. They
>>won't make a syrup all on their own like other berries do.

> If you put them in the microwave with US confectioners sugar they
> will... that's because the confectioner's sugar in the US has
> cornstarch mixed into it already!

In Australia we have 2 types ,but we call the icing sugar. There's the
*pure* icing sugar - nothing but the sugar. and there's icing *mixture* -
contains the cornflour.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Aug 2006 11:09:43 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:22:26 GMT, "Jen" >
>> wrote:

>> >How do you manage to keep the birds and other animals away from them?

>> The birds don't seem to bother them that much, nor do the squirrels.
>> My yard is completely fenced and besides, there's plenty to go around!

>Obviously you don't live anywhere approaching a rural location....
>you've never seen a mob of ravens fighting over strawberries. Even my
>landscaping shrubs need to be fenced, who woulda thunk juniper salad.

No, I live in the 'burbs. But that doesn't mean I haven't seen that
of which you speak. Just because I'm a city dweller doesn't mean I
don't venture out once in awhile ;-) My grandparents lived in a
rural locale and had loads and loads of fruit trees, berry patches,
vegetable and flower gardens. Grandpa was mighty protective of his
berries!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> "TammyM" > wrote in message

> >>Obviously you don't live anywhere approaching a rural location....
> >>you've never seen a mob of ravens fighting over strawberries. Even my
> >>landscaping shrubs need to be fenced, who woulda thunk juniper salad.

> I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries, because
> our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm hoping
> our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get at
> them though.

I doubt your dog will eat blueberries, mammals typically wont eat them,
I know deer don't eat blueberies... but birds will eat most all
berries. So why bother with strawberries if your dog eats them all...
did you ever think of a fence?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> On 4 Aug 2006 11:09:43 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>TammyM wrote:

>>> The birds don't seem to bother them that much, nor do the squirrels.
>>> My yard is completely fenced and besides, there's plenty to go around!

>>Obviously you don't live anywhere approaching a rural location....
>>you've never seen a mob of ravens fighting over strawberries. Even my
>>landscaping shrubs need to be fenced, who woulda thunk juniper salad.

I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries, because
our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm hoping
our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get at
them though.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jen wrote:

>> I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries,
>> because
>> our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm
>> hoping
>> our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get
>> at
>> them though.

> I doubt your dog will eat blueberries, mammals typically wont eat them,
> I know deer don't eat blueberies... but birds will eat most all
> berries. So why bother with strawberries if your dog eats them all...
> did you ever think of a fence?

I've had the strawberries for many many years, I've only had the dog for
less than 2 years. Is hasn't really occurred to me to do anything about it
yet. A fence in such a that area would look stupid in my yard, and she's a
big dog, she could jump over it easy enough. I don't really just want to
pull them out. I was hoping she might grow out of it. (probably not though)

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Jen wrote:

> >> I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries,
> >> because
> >> our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm
> >> hoping
> >> our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get
> >> at
> >> them though.

> > I doubt your dog will eat blueberries, mammals typically wont eat them,
> > I know deer don't eat blueberies... but birds will eat most all
> > berries. So why bother with strawberries if your dog eats them all...
> > did you ever think of a fence?

> I've had the strawberries for many many years, I've only had the dog for
> less than 2 years. Is hasn't really occurred to me to do anything about it
> yet. A fence in such a that area would look stupid in my yard, and she's a
> big dog, she could jump over it easy enough. I don't really just want to
> pull them out. I was hoping she might grow out of it. (probably not though)
>
> Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> "TammyM" > wrote in message

---------
In my youth we had a wonderful dog, (Prince, a Chesapeake Bay
Retriever) who would eat raspberries off the bush ! I used to take him
for a walk in a nearby park that had wilderness areas with wild
raspberry bushes. At first he didn't like them, but after watching me
pick them he started to pick them, too. He would roll his lips back to
keep from getting scratched on the thorny bushes. He looked so funny,
all his teeth showing.
Such memories! I enjoyed all of your posts on the subject.
Cheers, Nancree

> >>Obviously you don't live anywhere approaching a rural location....
> >>you've never seen a mob of ravens fighting over strawberries. Even my
> >>landscaping shrubs need to be fenced, who woulda thunk juniper salad.

> I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries, because
> our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm hoping
> our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get at
> them though.
>
> Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jen wrote:

> ---------
> In my youth we had a wonderful dog, (Prince, a Chesapeake Bay
> Retriever) who would eat raspberries off the bush ! I used to take him
> for a walk in a nearby park that had wilderness areas with wild
> raspberry bushes. At first he didn't like them, but after watching me
> pick them he started to pick them, too. He would roll his lips back to
> keep from getting scratched on the thorny bushes. He looked so funny,
> all his teeth showing.
> Such memories! I enjoyed all of your posts on the subject.

The dog we have is a wonderful girl. She's a Lab x. She loves everyone,
especially kids, and loves to do everything with my 10 yo daughter,
including trying to climb trees and she loves slides, she's even getting
good at climbing the ladders. I used to wonder where all the strawberries
went, because the birds would usually leave bits. But we figured it out,
especially since when we would take her to my mothers, she would run
straight to her strawberry patch, and clean out the lot. Mum learnt to pick
them all before we came.

Dogs are so great, you should get yourself another one, and get a whole new
set of great memories.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen > wrote:
>I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries, because
>our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm hoping
>our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get at
>them though.

Good opportunity to install a rustic wood-rail fence.

Unless he/she's a digger.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Jen > wrote:
>>I have a huge strawberry patch, but we never get any strawberries, because
>>our dog loves them. I just put a blueberry plant in last year so I'm
>>hoping
>>our dog doesn't get a taste for them too. I thought the birds would get
>>at
>>them though.

> Good opportunity to install a rustic wood-rail fence.
>
> Unless he/she's a digger.

She digs a bit. But thew main thing is she's a Lab X, so she'll do anything
to get food.

Jen

BBQ freezing question [email protected] General Cooking 10 09-12-2013 04:17 PM
Freezing Question David[_9_] Preserving 14 14-09-2007 05:45 AM
Freezing Question David[_9_] General Cooking 20 12-09-2007 12:32 AM
Freezing Blueberries Mike Winemaking 9 17-07-2004 06:30 PM
Freezing blueberries Mike Winemaking 1 15-07-2004 03:25 PM