Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BBQ freezing question

We are going to a potluck party next Sunday. I was going to cook some pork
shoulder "low and slow" for it. Pork shoulder roast is on sale through Tuesday
here.

Should I buy the pork now, freeze it, and smoke it next Sunday?
Or should I buy the pork now, smoke it, and freeze it for next Sunday?
I thought about buying it Tuesday and not freezing it, but I don't think it
would last till the weekend just in the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2013 11:06 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Pork in cryovac lasts a couple weeks.
>
> -sw

Did you two get a marriage license yet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 17:20:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 08:36:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>>
>>>We are going to a potluck party next Sunday. I was going to cook some pork
>>>shoulder "low and slow" for it. Pork shoulder roast is on sale through
>>>Tuesday
>>>here.
>>>
>>>Should I buy the pork now, freeze it, and smoke it next Sunday?
>>>Or should I buy the pork now, smoke it, and freeze it for next Sunday?
>>>I thought about buying it Tuesday and not freezing it, but I don't think
>>>it
>>>would last till the weekend just in the fridge.

>> A pork shoulder can be marinated for up to 5 days in the fridge, put
>> it in a large zip-loc with a marinade of your choice and turn it every
>> day... set in a bowl just in case it springs a leak. I do this all
>> the time with pork loins and spare/country ribs. I typically use a
>> citrusy oriental flavored marinade... I don't care for the typical
>> smokey tex-mex flavor common for BBQ sauce.

>After doing that ... must it be smoked? We love the flavour of a marinade
>but we don't like smoked food.

No reason for smoking, I don't like smoked pork either, probably why I
abhor bacon, don't like the stench of it cooking... to me a better BLT
is bologna, lettuce, and tomato.
If you're going to ingest all those calories this is much better than
bacon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortadella
http://www.tasteofitalia.co.uk/Mortadella-Bologna-IGP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 17:20:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> A pork shoulder can be marinated for up to 5 days in the fridge, put
>>> it in a large zip-loc with a marinade of your choice and turn it every
>>> day... set in a bowl just in case it springs a leak. I do this all
>>> the time with pork loins and spare/country ribs. I typically use a
>>> citrusy oriental flavored marinade... I don't care for the typical
>>> smokey tex-mex flavor common for BBQ sauce.

>>After doing that ... must it be smoked? We love the flavour of a marinade
>>but we don't like smoked food.

> No reason for smoking, I don't like smoked pork either, probably why I
> abhor bacon, don't like the stench of it cooking... to me a better BLT
> is bologna, lettuce, and tomato.
> If you're going to ingest all those calories this is much better than
> bacon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortadella
> http://www.tasteofitalia.co.uk/Mortadella-Bologna-IGP

I love bacon but never buy it smoked. I believe our bacon is different to
yours though.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 2:22:19 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:

> don't like smoked food
>
> huh ... I didn't know those words could be put together in that order

I think the problem is that most smoked food is oversmoked. At least to my palette.

http://www.richardfisher.com