Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing Question

Good morning!

I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them for a
few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?

Thanks.
David.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" David" > wrote in message
> Good morning!
>
> I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them for
> few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?
>
> Thanks.
> David.

Fried food does not freeze well. Matter of fact, it's pretty lousy an hour
after it's cooked. But, since you've already done the deed, you could
experiment with baking the frozen product on a cookie sheet. There's a wide
range of awful. Maybe they'll be acceptable to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" David" > wrote in message
> As you say, there's a wide range of awful. Baking is not going to be an
> option. Which of the following possibilities is going to be the least
> awful
> tomorrow night, and the night after, which is what I will need:
>
> Put it all in the refrigerator now, and serve tomorrow's cold and the next
> day's reheated by sauteing?
> Put it all in the refrigerator now, and serve both tomorrow's and the next
> day's at room temperature?
> Keep tomorrow's at room temperature until serving, and refrigerate half
> from
> now until Friday evening?
>
> Thanks.
> David.

I'm beginning to think this is a joke.

All three options will be equally awful. As far as room temperature, I think
you're either suicidal or you hate your guests (if that's who this is for).
You're inviting spoilage.

Why is it so important to keep this mistake around for so long?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" David" > wrote in message
>> I'm beginning to think this is a joke.

> No, it's quite serious, as a matter of fact, but I do agree that I am
> unlikely to find even the best bad solution by continuing this sub-thread.
> I do thank you, though, for the opinions you have expressed so far; they
> were indeed helpful. Knowing in advance how bad things might be often is.
>>
>> All three options will be equally awful. As far as room temperature, I

> think
>> you're either suicidal or you hate your guests (if that's who this is

> for).
>> You're inviting spoilage.
>>
>> Why is it so important to keep this mistake around for so long?

> I wonder how many fatal disasters, and how much evil in general, has
> occured
> because of someone's not having enough imagination to think that there
> might
> be possibilities outside of his own daily experience. The Titanic comes
> mind. Noone thought that it was reasonable that an iceberg of that size
> could get that far south, and noone thought it within the realm of
> reasonable probability that an icebert would pierce three contiguous
> watertight compartments... and noone knows to this very day exactly how
> many
> people died (at least according to Walter Lord).
>
> Once again, thanks for your help. If I can find no better solution, I'll
> refrigerate the mistake, in the hopes of at least preventing any
> fatalities.
> David.

There *IS* no better solution. Is this for a party?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm beginning to think this is a joke.
No, it's quite serious, as a matter of fact, but I do agree that I am
unlikely to find even the best bad solution by continuing this sub-thread.
I do thank you, though, for the opinions you have expressed so far; they
were indeed helpful. Knowing in advance how bad things might be often is.

> All three options will be equally awful. As far as room temperature, I

think
> you're either suicidal or you hate your guests (if that's who this is

for).
> You're inviting spoilage.
>
> Why is it so important to keep this mistake around for so long?

I wonder how many fatal disasters, and how much evil in general, has occured
because of someone's not having enough imagination to think that there might
be possibilities outside of his own daily experience. The Titanic comes to
mind. Noone thought that it was reasonable that an iceberg of that size
could get that far south, and noone thought it within the realm of
reasonable probability that an icebert would pierce three contiguous
watertight compartments... and noone knows to this very day exactly how many
people died (at least according to Walter Lord).

Once again, thanks for your help. If I can find no better solution, I'll
refrigerate the mistake, in the hopes of at least preventing any fatalities.
David.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" David" > wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them for a
> few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?
>
> Thanks.
> David.

I'd not freeze fried zuchinni, but that's just me. When it comes to deep
fried stuff, it seldom preserves well unless you want to use a toaster
oven or more hot oil to re-heat it. I try not to prepare more at a time
than I can eat.

YMMV. ;-)

Om -> considering a toaster oven...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" David" > wrote:

> > I'm beginning to think this is a joke.

> No, it's quite serious, as a matter of fact, but I do agree that I am
> unlikely to find even the best bad solution by continuing this sub-thread.
> I do thank you, though, for the opinions you have expressed so far; they
> were indeed helpful. Knowing in advance how bad things might be often is.
> >
> > All three options will be equally awful. As far as room temperature, I

> think
> > you're either suicidal or you hate your guests (if that's who this is

> for).
> > You're inviting spoilage.
> >
> > Why is it so important to keep this mistake around for so long?

> I wonder how many fatal disasters, and how much evil in general, has occured
> because of someone's not having enough imagination to think that there might
> be possibilities outside of his own daily experience. The Titanic comes to
> mind. Noone thought that it was reasonable that an iceberg of that size
> could get that far south, and noone thought it within the realm of
> reasonable probability that an icebert would pierce three contiguous
> watertight compartments... and noone knows to this very day exactly how many
> people died (at least according to Walter Lord).
>
> Once again, thanks for your help. If I can find no better solution, I'll
> refrigerate the mistake, in the hopes of at least preventing any fatalities.
> David.

<lol>

Refrigerate it and try re-heating it under the broiler if you don't have
a toaster oven. ;-)

Not everybody on this list is an ass hole.

I would not freeze it. Not squash... Even cooked, it'll tend to turn to
mush if you try that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> " David" > wrote:
>
>> > I'm beginning to think this is a joke.

>> No, it's quite serious, as a matter of fact, but I do agree that I am
>> unlikely to find even the best bad solution by continuing this
>> sub-thread.
>> I do thank you, though, for the opinions you have expressed so far; they
>> were indeed helpful. Knowing in advance how bad things might be often
>> is.
>> >
>> > All three options will be equally awful. As far as room temperature, I

>> think
>> > you're either suicidal or you hate your guests (if that's who this is

>> for).
>> > You're inviting spoilage.
>> >
>> > Why is it so important to keep this mistake around for so long?

>> I wonder how many fatal disasters, and how much evil in general, has
>> occured
>> because of someone's not having enough imagination to think that there
>> might
>> be possibilities outside of his own daily experience. The Titanic comes
>> mind. Noone thought that it was reasonable that an iceberg of that size
>> could get that far south, and noone thought it within the realm of
>> reasonable probability that an icebert would pierce three contiguous
>> watertight compartments... and noone knows to this very day exactly how
>> many
>> people died (at least according to Walter Lord).
>>
>> Once again, thanks for your help. If I can find no better solution, I'll
>> refrigerate the mistake, in the hopes of at least preventing any
>> fatalities.
>> David.

> <lol>
>
> Refrigerate it and try re-heating it under the broiler if you don't have
> a toaster oven. ;-)

He said baking wasn't an option. Sounds like no oven, so no broiler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> > Refrigerate it and try re-heating it under the broiler if you don't have
> > a toaster oven. ;-)

> He said baking wasn't an option. Sounds like no oven, so no broiler.

Okay, but a quick dunk in the deep fryer won't overcook it and will heat
and re-crisp it.

It's an option I try to avoid as it makes it too greasy for my personal
tastes.

For the most part, I only deep fry enough for one meal.

The Hamilton grill might work too. (same thing as a Foreman for those
not familiar with the brand).

The whole idea is dry heating. Microwaving deep fry just makes it
soggy/greasy.

And freezing squash has never worked for me. YMMV of course.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> > Refrigerate it and try re-heating it under the broiler if you don't
>> > have
>> > a toaster oven. ;-)

>> He said baking wasn't an option. Sounds like no oven, so no broiler.

> Okay, but a quick dunk in the deep fryer won't overcook it and will heat
> and re-crisp it.
>
> It's an option I try to avoid as it makes it too greasy for my personal
> tastes.
>
> For the most part, I only deep fry enough for one meal.
>
> The Hamilton grill might work too. (same thing as a Foreman for those
> not familiar with the brand).
>
> The whole idea is dry heating. Microwaving deep fry just makes it
> soggy/greasy.
>
> And freezing squash has never worked for me. YMMV of course.

Right. It turns to pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them
> for a few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?
>
> Thanks.
> David.

Sorry I don't know who you were replying to in this thread as you didn't
include any attributions. However, yes, if you freeze them they should be
just fine. Think about your supermarket frozen foods aisle. I've seen
batter-fried zucchini and yellow squash both sold frozen in bags. If you
have the means, you may either quickly deep fry them again to heat through
or, failing that, spread the frozen battered zucchini in a single layer on a
baking sheet in a hot oven (say 350-375F) for about 10 minutes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news

> >> He said baking wasn't an option. Sounds like no oven, so no broiler.

> > Okay, but a quick dunk in the deep fryer won't overcook it and will heat
> > and re-crisp it.
> >
> > It's an option I try to avoid as it makes it too greasy for my personal
> > tastes.
> >
> > For the most part, I only deep fry enough for one meal.
> >
> > The Hamilton grill might work too. (same thing as a Foreman for those
> > not familiar with the brand).
> >
> > The whole idea is dry heating. Microwaving deep fry just makes it
> > soggy/greasy.
> >
> > And freezing squash has never worked for me. YMMV of course.

> Right. It turns to pudding.

Yep.

Which, iirc, was his original question. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Okay, but a quick dunk in the deep fryer won't overcook it and will
>> > heat
>> > and re-crisp it.
>> >
>> > It's an option I try to avoid as it makes it too greasy for my personal
>> > tastes.
>> >
>> > For the most part, I only deep fry enough for one meal.
>> >
>> > The Hamilton grill might work too. (same thing as a Foreman for those
>> > not familiar with the brand).
>> >
>> > The whole idea is dry heating. Microwaving deep fry just makes it
>> > soggy/greasy.
>> >
>> > And freezing squash has never worked for me. YMMV of course.

>> Right. It turns to pudding.

> Yep.
>
> Which, iirc, was his original question. <g>

I think anyone who deep fries zucchini probably doesn't care much what the
vegetable turns into, as long as they get some deep fried anything on the
outside. Zucchini is virtually tasteless to begin with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Zucchini (was Freezing Question)

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Zucchini is virtually tasteless to begin with.

Oh gods...

Here we go again!

I happen to think simple steamed Zucchini is delicious!

I generally just steam it lightly and serve as is.
Optional S&P on the side.

It's even good raw.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> David wrote:
>> Good morning!
>>
>> I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them
>> for a few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> David.

> Sorry I don't know who you were replying to in this thread as you didn't
> include any attributions.

It was the first post in the thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" David" > wrote in message
>> I think anyone who deep fries zucchini probably doesn't care much what
>> the
>> vegetable turns into, as long as they get some deep fried anything on the
>> outside.

> I guess we're back to the Titanic again. As a matter of fact, it had to
> be
> zucchini, and the method was much less important.

Look....you start with a vegetable that has ZERO leeway for being
overcooked, and then plan on cooking it twice. Know what I mean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I think anyone who deep fries zucchini probably doesn't care much what the
> vegetable turns into, as long as they get some deep fried anything on the
> outside.

I guess we're back to the Titanic again. As a matter of fact, it had to be
zucchini, and the method was much less important.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> David wrote:
>>> Good morning!
>>>
>>> I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep
>>> them for a few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store
>>> them?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> David.

>> Sorry I don't know who you were replying to in this thread as you
>> didn't include any attributions.

> It was the first post in the thread.

That doesn't help me since the first post in the thread I saw was from
David.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:

>>> Sorry I don't know who you were replying to in this thread as you
>>> didn't include any attributions.

>> It was the first post in the thread.

> That doesn't help me since the first post in the thread I saw was from
> David.
>
> Jill

David's WAS the first post, as well as some subsequent ones. Here it is in
its entirety:

"Good morning!

I have made some zucchini deep-fried in batter, and have to keep them for a
few days. Will they freeze? If not, how do I store them?

Thanks.
David."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> the first post in the thread I saw was from David.

Bingo