Old 02-08-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.

And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

Thanks!
Carol

Old 02-08-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
wrote:

My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.

And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

Thanks!
Carol

Here is a great recipe for a yeast zucchini bread. And it works
wonderfully with big zukes since you grate them. Bread machine is not
necessary. If you us a food processor, put the zukes in last.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup zucchini -- grated
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour, bread
1 tablespoon basil, fresh -- chopped
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order
suggested by
the manufacturer. Set for Basic Bread cycle, or Normal setting.

Source:
"http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/WhleWhtZucchiniHrbBrd.asp"
Yield:
"1 1/2 pounds"

--
Susan N.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:38:41 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Wow! It had never occured to me that zucchini bread would be anything
other than a sweet quickbread. I'm going to need some yeast. I
really want to try this.

One question ... is the whole wheat mandatory? Can I just increase
the amount of white flour I use?

Carol
Old 03-08-2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" wrote:

Here is a great recipe for a yeast zucchini bread. And it works
wonderfully with big zukes since you grate them. Bread machine is not
necessary. If you us a food processor, put the zukes in last.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can make
THIS zucchini bread? :-)

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

3 cups Flour
1/4 cups Cocoa
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Sugar
3 Eggs
1/2 cup Oil
2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Banana
2 cups grated Zucchini
1 cup chopped Nuts
1 cup Semi-sweet Chocolate chips or chunks

Heat oven to 350. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. In large bowl, combine
flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well and
set aside. In medium bowl, combine sugar and eggs; beat well. Add oil,
vanilla, and banana; beat until combined. Stir in Zucchini and add flour
mixture. Stir until just moistened. (There should still be some lumps.)
Stir in nuts and chocolate pieces. Pour into pans and bake 55-60 min. Cool
in pans for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on racks.

Bob

Old 03-08-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
"The Cook" wrote:

Here is a great recipe for a yeast zucchini bread. And it works
wonderfully with big zukes since you grate them. Bread machine is
not necessary. If you us a food processor, put the zukes in last.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can
make THIS zucchini bread? :-)

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

Um... someone who doesn't like chocolate?

Old 03-08-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote in message
My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.

And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

My God!! I've actually got something I know to contribute. I'm always
getting other peoples recipes, but it's not often I get to give any.

These are 2 totally different, but favourite recipes using zucchini.

ZUCCHINI SLICE

2 cups grated zucchini

1 onion, chopped

3 slices bacon, chopped

4 eggs, beaten

cup oil

1 cup self raising flour

Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients together. Mix well. Spoon into 2 pie dishes. Bake
in moderate oven for 35 mins.

ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs

2 cups caster sugar

3 ts vanilla

1 cup oil

2 cups grated zucchini

3 cups flour

ts baking powder

1 ts salt

1 ts bicarb soda

1 ts cinnamon

Beat eggs till light and frothy. Add sugar, vanilla, and oil. Beat till
thick. Stir in zucchini. Fold in sifted flour, baking powder, salt, bicarb
and cinnamon.

Bake in 2 bread tins, or 1 8" x 8" tin for 1 - 1 hours at 350 F.

Any size zucchini is fine for these recipes.

Jen

Old 03-08-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Aug 2006 18:23:03 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

"The Cook" wrote:

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can make
THIS zucchini bread? :-)

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

LOL! I can make both! Something tells me this won't be the last
zucchini I'll be receiving this summer. Just a hunch. G

Crash is *very* excited about the chocolate one. I'm interested in
the herb bread, too.

Thanks!
Carol

Old 03-08-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.

And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

Thanks!
Carol

I just picked some yellow squash for the first time in 5 or 4 days
because of the heat. They averaged 26 ounces each, and had tough skins
and seeds. I peeled and grated one and stirfried it for supper. (Yum.)

Here's my recipe for zucchini cake. It has 50% more zuke than most
zucchini bread recipes. It's still a little too warm in the house to
use the oven, so I may try baking one outside in the Nesco roaster.

If the skins are really tough, peel them. If just kind of tough, don't
bother. Shred them seeds and all for baking; pretend the seeds are
nuts. (I removed most of the seeds from my supper.)

This is very good served warm (not hot though, for some reason) without
any frosting:

Bob's Zucchini Cake

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and
zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 325
oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can make
THIS zucchini bread? :-)

Pshaw! Why make zucchini bread at all when you can make zucchini
*cake*? (see the recipe I posted a few minutes ago)

;;-)

Bob

Old 03-08-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:01:04 GMT, "Jen"
wrote:

My God!! I've actually got something I know to contribute. I'm always
getting other peoples recipes, but it's not often I get to give any.

These are 2 totally different, but favourite recipes using zucchini.

ZUCCHINI SLICE

ZUCCHINI BREAD

My God! They sound great! LOL! They really do. I'll try both. I
have very large zucchinis sitting here.

Thanks,
Carol
Old 03-08-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:30:11 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Here's my recipe for zucchini cake.

Can I use white flour instead of whole wheat flour in this recipe?

Carol
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.

And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

Thanks!
Carol

Large zucchinis are made for bread! Since you have to cut them up to
grate, I would remove the seeds since they can be pretty tough.

Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
(modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves

3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
(this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce)
2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)

Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
combine Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~60 minutes or until a tester
comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
sliced, spread with cream cheese.

This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
------------

This recipe is from another online friend. I haven't made it, but her
stuff is always good. The comments are hers, posted to another group.

Zucchini Carrot Muffins

2 c shredded carrots
1 c shredded zucchini
1 c chopped peeled apple
1/2 c chopped almonds
2 tsp grated orange peel
2 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
1 Tbls cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Gently toss together the first 5 ingredients and set aside. In a large
bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine egg, oil and vanilla; stir into
dry ingredients just until moistened (batter wil be thick). Fold in
vegetable mixture. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 375' F for 20-22 minutes or until they test done. Cool in pan 10
minutes before removing to rack. Makes 18 standard size muffins.

OK, so, what I did this time was - I again doubled the recipe and left
out the almonds, and orange peel. While I still used a total of 6 cups
of shredded veggies, I changed the proportions so it was half zucchini
and half carrot. I diced my apples up more finely than I did last time
so I think that I actually ended up using a little more apple this time
but the difference in that isn't huge. Then, instead of using 1 1/2 cups
of vegetable oil, I replaced about 1/2 the oil with butternut squash
puree - I found some I'd frozen last year and figured what the heck
In addition to the cinnamon, I added probably about a teaspoon or
so of cardamom and of ginger - honestly I didn't measure those though,
so...I just sprinkled on cardamom rather generously, and ginger less so.
Oh, and I used one less egg than the recipe called for - five instead of
six - only because when I was all done, I noticed the sixth egg was
still sitting on the counter behind the mixing bowl and the batter
seemed fine so I didn't put it in. Anyway, they came out even better
than before. I baked mine exactly 20 minutes. I got counting 33 pretty
good sized muffins out of this.

----
OK, so, my point is (I'm back again, not quoting myself anymore) that
you can replace the oil with any moist pureed fruit - applesauce works,
obviously butternut squash works, I've also redone these and used a
mixture of banana and applesauce, which worked. I sometimes use
mostly fruit and hardly any oil, sometimes half and half. I've also had
good luck making a lowfat chocolate cake by replacing most of the oil
with pureed banana, btw.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

This sounds fun. Now to leave my car unlocked so someone will leave a giant
zucchini in the back seat.

Lynne

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Whoopie Pies

Recipe By :rec.food.recipes
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Drop
Formed

1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts -- optional
Filling
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup marshmallow cream

Mix zucchini, shortening and egg until smooth.
Mix together flour. baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture along with milk. Mix well. Add vanilla
and nuts, if desired.
Drop tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
For the filling: Beat together shortening, vanilla, milk, powdered sugar and
marshmallow cream.
Frost a cookie with filling and top with another cookie.

Zucchini bread fan123 Recipes 1 12-11-2010 10:31 AM
Zucchini Bread ('Tis the season!) gloria.p General Cooking 37 02-09-2010 04:23 PM
Zucchini Parmesan Bread Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 03-10-2007 02:31 PM
Zucchini tribute: my recipe with many many pics [was Zucchini?] Pandora General Cooking 7 26-07-2007 01:09 PM
Zucchini Bread: Duckie Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:15 PM