Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

I just picked some yellow squash for the first time in 5 or 4 days
because of the heat. They averaged 26 ounces each, and had tough skins
and seeds. I peeled and grated one and stirfried it for supper. (Yum.)

Here's my recipe for zucchini cake. It has 50% more zuke than most
zucchini bread recipes. It's still a little too warm in the house to
use the oven, so I may try baking one outside in the Nesco roaster.

If the skins are really tough, peel them. If just kind of tough, don't
bother. Shred them seeds and all for baking; pretend the seeds are
nuts. (I removed most of the seeds from my supper.)

This is very good served warm (not hot though, for some reason) without
any frosting:

Bob's Zucchini Cake

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and
zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 325º
oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.

--
Best regards,
Bob