FoodBanter.com

-   -   Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/97753-have-zucchini-need-zucchini.html)

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 02-08-2006 11:35 PM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.

And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

Thanks!
Carol

The Cook 02-08-2006 11:38 PM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
>zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
>Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
>Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
>lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
>And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
>seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
>haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
>Thanks!
>Carol

Here is a great recipe for a yeast zucchini bread. And it works
wonderfully with big zukes since you grate them. Bread machine is not
necessary. If you us a food processor, put the zukes in last.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup zucchini -- grated
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour, bread
1 tablespoon basil, fresh -- chopped
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order
suggested by
the manufacturer. Set for Basic Bread cycle, or Normal setting.

Source:
"http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/WhleWhtZucchiniHrbBrd.asp"
Yield:
"1 1/2 pounds"

--
Susan N.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 12:08 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:38:41 -0400, The Cook >
wrote:

>Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Wow! It had never occured to me that zucchini bread would be anything
other than a sweet quickbread. I'm going to need some yeast. I
really want to try this.

One question ... is the whole wheat mandatory? Can I just increase
the amount of white flour I use?

Carol

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 03-08-2006 12:23 AM

"The Cook" wrote:

> Here is a great recipe for a yeast zucchini bread. And it works
> wonderfully with big zukes since you grate them. Bread machine is not
> necessary. If you us a food processor, put the zukes in last.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can make
THIS zucchini bread? :-)

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

3 cups Flour
1/4 cups Cocoa
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Sugar
3 Eggs
1/2 cup Oil
2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Banana
2 cups grated Zucchini
1 cup chopped Nuts
1 cup Semi-sweet Chocolate chips or chunks

Heat oven to 350. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. In large bowl, combine
flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well and
set aside. In medium bowl, combine sugar and eggs; beat well. Add oil,
vanilla, and banana; beat until combined. Stir in Zucchini and add flour
mixture. Stir until just moistened. (There should still be some lumps.)
Stir in nuts and chocolate pieces. Pour into pans and bake 55-60 min. Cool
in pans for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on racks.

Bob

jmcquown 03-08-2006 01:43 AM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> "The Cook" wrote:
>
>> Here is a great recipe for a yeast zucchini bread. And it works
>> wonderfully with big zukes since you grate them. Bread machine is
>> not necessary. If you us a food processor, put the zukes in last.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

> Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can
> make THIS zucchini bread? :-)
>

> Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

Um... someone who doesn't like chocolate? :)

Jen[_1_] 03-08-2006 02:01 AM

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.

My God!! I've actually got something I know to contribute. I'm always
getting other peoples recipes, but it's not often I get to give any.

These are 2 totally different, but favourite recipes using zucchini.

ZUCCHINI SLICE

2 cups grated zucchini

1 onion, chopped

3 slices bacon, chopped

4 eggs, beaten

½ cup oil

1 cup self raising flour

Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients together. Mix well. Spoon into 2 pie dishes. Bake
in moderate oven for 35 mins.

ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs

2 ¼ cups caster sugar

3 ts vanilla

1 cup oil

2 cups grated zucchini

3 cups flour

¼ ts baking powder

1 ts salt

1 ts bicarb soda

1 ts cinnamon

Beat eggs till light and frothy. Add sugar, vanilla, and oil. Beat till
thick. Stir in zucchini. Fold in sifted flour, baking powder, salt, bicarb
and cinnamon.

Bake in 2 bread tins, or 1 8" x 8" tin for 1 - 1 ½ hours at 350 F.

Any size zucchini is fine for these recipes.

Jen

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 02:05 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On 2 Aug 2006 18:23:03 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>"The Cook" wrote:
>

>> Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

>Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can make
>THIS zucchini bread? :-)
>
>Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

LOL! I can make both! Something tells me this won't be the last
zucchini I'll be receiving this summer. Just a hunch. <G>

Crash is *very* excited about the chocolate one. I'm interested in
the herb bread, too.

Thanks!
Carol

King's Crown[_1_] 03-08-2006 02:16 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

Oh that sounds really good!

Lynne

zxcvbob 03-08-2006 02:30 AM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

I just picked some yellow squash for the first time in 5 or 4 days
because of the heat. They averaged 26 ounces each, and had tough skins
and seeds. I peeled and grated one and stirfried it for supper. (Yum.)

Here's my recipe for zucchini cake. It has 50% more zuke than most
zucchini bread recipes. It's still a little too warm in the house to
use the oven, so I may try baking one outside in the Nesco roaster.

If the skins are really tough, peel them. If just kind of tough, don't
bother. Shred them seeds and all for baking; pretend the seeds are
nuts. (I removed most of the seeds from my supper.)

This is very good served warm (not hot though, for some reason) without
any frosting:

Bob's Zucchini Cake

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and
zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 325º
oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.

--
Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob 03-08-2006 02:33 AM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Are you KIDDING me? Who would make that zucchini bread when they can make
> THIS zucchini bread? :-)

Pshaw! Why make zucchini bread at all when you can make zucchini
*cake*? (see the recipe I posted a few minutes ago)

;;-)

Bob

King's Crown[_1_] 03-08-2006 02:45 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

In the zucchini slice recipe... just chop and throw the bacon in... no
precooking?

Lynne

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 03:06 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:01:04 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>My God!! I've actually got something I know to contribute. I'm always
>getting other peoples recipes, but it's not often I get to give any.
>
>These are 2 totally different, but favourite recipes using zucchini.
>
>ZUCCHINI SLICE
>
>ZUCCHINI BREAD

My God! They sound great! LOL! They really do. I'll try both. I
have very large zucchinis sitting here.

Thanks,
Carol

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 03:13 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:30:11 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Here's my recipe for zucchini cake.

Can I use white flour instead of whole wheat flour in this recipe?

Carol

Puester 03-08-2006 03:25 AM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

Large zucchinis are made for bread! Since you have to cut them up to
grate, I would remove the seeds since they can be pretty tough.

Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
(modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves

3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
(this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce)
2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)

Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
combine Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~60 minutes or until a tester
comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
sliced, spread with cream cheese.

This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
------------

This recipe is from another online friend. I haven't made it, but her
stuff is always good. The comments are hers, posted to another group.

Zucchini Carrot Muffins

2 c shredded carrots
1 c shredded zucchini
1 c chopped peeled apple
1/2 c chopped almonds
2 tsp grated orange peel
2 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
1 Tbls cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Gently toss together the first 5 ingredients and set aside. In a large
bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine egg, oil and vanilla; stir into
dry ingredients just until moistened (batter wil be thick). Fold in
vegetable mixture. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 375' F for 20-22 minutes or until they test done. Cool in pan 10
minutes before removing to rack. Makes 18 standard size muffins.

OK, so, what I did this time was - I again doubled the recipe and left
out the almonds, and orange peel. While I still used a total of 6 cups
of shredded veggies, I changed the proportions so it was half zucchini
and half carrot. I diced my apples up more finely than I did last time
so I think that I actually ended up using a little more apple this time
but the difference in that isn't huge. Then, instead of using 1 1/2 cups
of vegetable oil, I replaced about 1/2 the oil with butternut squash
puree - I found some I'd frozen last year and figured what the heck
In addition to the cinnamon, I added probably about a teaspoon or
so of cardamom and of ginger - honestly I didn't measure those though,
so...I just sprinkled on cardamom rather generously, and ginger less so.
Oh, and I used one less egg than the recipe called for - five instead of
six - only because when I was all done, I noticed the sixth egg was
still sitting on the counter behind the mixing bowl and the batter
seemed fine so I didn't put it in. Anyway, they came out even better
than before. I baked mine exactly 20 minutes. I got <counting> 33 pretty
good sized muffins out of this.

----
OK, so, my point is (I'm back again, not quoting myself anymore) that
you can replace the oil with any moist pureed fruit - applesauce works,
obviously butternut squash works, I've also redone these and used a
mixture of banana and applesauce, which worked. I sometimes use
mostly fruit and hardly any oil, sometimes half and half. I've also had
good luck making a lowfat chocolate cake by replacing most of the oil
with pureed banana, btw.

King's Crown[_1_] 03-08-2006 03:28 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

This sounds fun. Now to leave my car unlocked so someone will leave a giant
zucchini in the back seat.

Lynne

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Whoopie Pies

Recipe By :rec.food.recipes
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Drop
Formed

1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts -- optional
Filling
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup marshmallow cream

Mix zucchini, shortening and egg until smooth.
Mix together flour. baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture along with milk. Mix well. Add vanilla
and nuts, if desired.
Drop tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
For the filling: Beat together shortening, vanilla, milk, powdered sugar and
marshmallow cream.
Frost a cookie with filling and top with another cookie.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 03:30 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 02:25:19 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
>
>Zucchini Carrot Muffins

Both of these sound excellent. I think I'm gonna need to do some
grocery shopping. <G>

Thanks!
Carol

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 03:31 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 02:28:54 GMT, "King's Crown" >
wrote:

> Zucchini Whoopie Pies

I'll have to run this one by Crash. I know these would be way too
sweet for me, but he might just love them. Thank you!

Carol

zxcvbob 03-08-2006 03:47 AM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:30:11 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Here's my recipe for zucchini cake.

> Can I use white flour instead of whole wheat flour in this recipe?
>
> Carol

No! Of course not! *I* however can use rye flour (I'm out of WW)
because it's my recipe. That's why it says "Bob's Zucchini Cake"

I'm kidding. Yes you can use all white flour. I haven't tried it that
way, but it will have a more tender crumb and may tend to fall apart
when you serve it -- not necessarily a bad thing. You can even frost it
with a chocolate ganache if you want to help hold it together.

It's giant zucchini, the rubber chicken of vegetables. Don't take it so
seriously. HTH :-)

Best regards,
Bob

King's Crown[_1_] 03-08-2006 04:14 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

OK I made Zucchini Slice for dinner tonight. I didn't have an onion, so I
threw in some dried minced onion. I added some parmesan cheese and yes... I
chopped and threw in the bacon uncooked. It turned out pretty good. I
think I would brown the bacon and crumble it... in the future though. I'd
like a firmer bacon texture. I have some leftover and it's going to be good
for breakfast.

Lynne

nk.net...

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 04:23 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:47:00 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:30:11 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's my recipe for zucchini cake.

>> Can I use white flour instead of whole wheat flour in this recipe?

>No! Of course not! *I* however can use rye flour (I'm out of WW)
>because it's my recipe. That's why it says "Bob's Zucchini Cake"
>
>I'm kidding. Yes you can use all white flour. I haven't tried it that
>way, but it will have a more tender crumb and may tend to fall apart
>when you serve it -- not necessarily a bad thing. You can even frost it
>with a chocolate ganache if you want to help hold it together.

Thanks for the tips. It sounds very good.

>It's giant zucchini, the rubber chicken of vegetables. Don't take it so
>seriously. HTH :-)

LOL! The only way I've ever cooked zucchini before was on the grill.
Twice, I think. I'm practically a zucchini virgin.

Carol

Jen[_1_] 03-08-2006 06:06 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

"King's Crown" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In the zucchini slice recipe... just chop and throw the bacon in... no
> precooking?

That's right, no precooking.

Jen

Jen[_1_] 03-08-2006 06:08 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

"King's Crown" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> OK I made Zucchini Slice for dinner tonight. I didn't have an onion, so I
> threw in some dried minced onion. I added some parmesan cheese and yes...
> I chopped and threw in the bacon uncooked. It turned out pretty good. I
> think I would brown the bacon and crumble it... in the future though. I'd
> like a firmer bacon texture. I have some leftover and it's going to be
> good for breakfast.

I'm so pleased, it's so rarely I get to share recipes, everyone here seems
to know so much more than me. I love this slice just as is, I never really
thought of changing things.

Jen

Jen[_1_] 03-08-2006 06:09 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:01:04 GMT, "Jen" >
> wrote:
>
>>My God!! I've actually got something I know to contribute. I'm always
>>getting other peoples recipes, but it's not often I get to give any.
>>
>>These are 2 totally different, but favourite recipes using zucchini.
>>
>>ZUCCHINI SLICE
>>
>>ZUCCHINI BREAD

> My God! They sound great! LOL! They really do. I'll try both. I
> have very large zucchinis sitting here.

My God! I'm so glad. They are really yummy.

Jen

-L.[_2_] 03-08-2006 08:14 AM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

If I can find it, I will post my Mom's recipe, as it was delicious.
She always seeded them and then ran them through her table-top meat
grinder - you know, the old-fashioned metal kind that clamped on to the
table and had a handle you turned? It resulted in small, "roundish"
tubular pieces of zuch which gave the bread an amazing texture.

Anyway, I will see if I can dig it up...

-L.

kilikini[_2_] 03-08-2006 08:51 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> > zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> > Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
> >
> > Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> > lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
> >
> > And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> > seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> > haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Carol

> If I can find it, I will post my Mom's recipe, as it was delicious.
> She always seeded them and then ran them through her table-top meat
> grinder - you know, the old-fashioned metal kind that clamped on to the
> table and had a handle you turned? It resulted in small, "roundish"
> tubular pieces of zuch which gave the bread an amazing texture.
>
> Anyway, I will see if I can dig it up...
>
> -L.

My mom had a good one, too. I should call her and see if she still has it.
It was a quick bread, but used lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. It was so good!

kili

Laura from MomsRetro.com 03-08-2006 10:57 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

I predict this won't be the last zuke you receive from your neighbor!
Here's an old gardening joke for you:

Q: How do you tell a person who hasn't a friend in the world?
A: He has to BUY his zucchini

I've grown them, and blessed my friends and neighbors with them. Here
are two of my favorite (non bread) zucchini recipes.

Zesty Zucchini Sauté From The Garlic Lover's Cookbook

4 medium sized zucchini
2 tsp. Seasoned salt
2 tsp. Parsley flakes
1 tsp instant minced onion
1/2 tsp. ground oregano
1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Wash zucchini but do not peel. Slice in rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
Mix together remaining ingredients except olive oil. Sprinkle over
zucchini and toss until seasoning is well distributed. Heat oil in
skillet; add zucchini and sauté until browned on both sides about 10
minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Makes 4 servings

-I always add more spices especially garlic, but that's me. These are
also good with a little Parmesan cheese. They are best when you serve
them straight from the kitchen!

Zucchini Stuffed With Tomato From The Frugal Gourmet Cooks With Wine

4 zucchini short and fat
2 tbs. Olive oil
1 garlic clove crushed - I always add lots more!
2 tbs. chopped onion
2 cups diced tomatoes
4 tbs. dry red wine
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry white wine

Cut both ends of the zucchini and then cut them in half, crosswise
through the middle. Scoop out most of the center pulp from one end,
(reserving the pulp for a later soup). Leave a round tube of squash
that is sealed at the other end. Set them aside.
Heat a frying pan and add the oil, garlic and onion. Sauté until the
onion is clear. Add the tomatoes, red wine, dill sugar salt and pepper.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are limp but not mushy.
Stand the squash baskets on one end in a baking dish just large enough
to hold them. A glass pie plate will work well. Fill each with the
tomato mixture and top with the cheese. Pour the white wine around the
bottom of the baskets and bake them, uncovered at 400 degrees until
tender but firm, about 35 minutes.

-I've tried this with just one color of wine, and without it altogether
and it's fine. It's also a good recipe if you have lots of tomatoes.
If your zucchini isn't fat enough to stand up, you can also make boats
out of them.

The Cook 03-08-2006 11:43 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:08:46 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:38:41 -0400, The Cook >
>wrote:
>
>>Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

>Wow! It had never occured to me that zucchini bread would be anything
>other than a sweet quickbread. I'm going to need some yeast. I
>really want to try this.
>
>One question ... is the whole wheat mandatory? Can I just increase
>the amount of white flour I use?
>
>Carol

Sure. It may take a little more flour since whole wheat absorbs more
liquid.
--
Susan N.

The Cook 03-08-2006 12:00 PM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
>zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
>Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
>Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
>lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
>And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
>seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
>haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
>Thanks!
>Carol

Just remembered another recipe I have. I have not made it, but it
comes from a friend who is a good cook.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Pizza

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Italian

3 1/2 Cups zucchini -- grated
3 eggs
1/3 Cup flour
1/2 Cup mozzarella cheese -- grated
1/2 Cup parmesan cheese -- grated
1 Tablespoon basil leaves
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°. Salt Zucchini and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Squeeze out all of the excess moisture.

Combine zucchini with all other ingredients and spread in oiled 9" x
13" pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until surface is dry and firm.
Brush the top with oil and broil about 5 minutes.

Pile with favorite toppings and heat in 350° oven for about 25
minutes.
--
Susan N.

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 03-08-2006 01:16 PM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> LOL! The only way I've ever cooked zucchini before was on the grill.
> Twice, I think. I'm practically a zucchini virgin.
>
> Carol

Zucchini can often be substituted for cucumbers in some uses, Dams.
--
-Barb, always helpful
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-27-06, For The King and His

Julia Altshuler 03-08-2006 03:50 PM

OT - zucchine jokes, was - Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

Laura from MomsRetro.com wrote:
> I predict this won't be the last zuke you receive from your neighbor!
> Here's an old gardening joke for you:
>
> Q: How do you tell a person who hasn't a friend in the world?
> A: He has to BUY his zucchini

Here's the companion joke:

Two women are chatting while waiting for their flight at an airport.

One says to the other: "The town I come from is so small that we never
have to lock our car doors-- except in August."

The other nods sympathetically and says: "Crime must increase with the
tourist season."

The first replies: "Oh, no! But if you leave the door open, someone
will fill it with zucchini."

--Lia, miserably inept at growing zucchini herself, at war with the
squash vine borer

Jan[_3_] 03-08-2006 03:52 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

Here ia a very good chocolate zucchini bread recipe that we enjoy.
After baking the bread and it cools, wrap it and then eat it the next
day. Jan

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
2 ounces baking chocolate, melted - chop into small pieces
2 cups grated zucchini, squeeze out the excess moisture
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat; set aside.
Combine oil and eggs with an electric mixer, add the melted chocolate.
With a large spoon, stir in the zucchini and vanilla. Mix together the
flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda, set aside. Stir
the sugar into the zucchini mixture then add the flour mixture along
with the nits and the chocolate chips. Mix well. Spoon into 2 well
greased loaf pans (I USED PARCHMENT PAPER TO LINE THE PANS ALSO). Bake
350º for about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes then turn out onto the rack to
cook completely. Freezes well.

If using dark loaf pans, reduce the oven to 325º and bake less time
until a pick comes out clean.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 03-08-2006 09:20 PM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

Thanks everyone, for the zucchini ideas. We will try several of them.
I'll have to create a whole new category in MasterCook for zucchini.
LOL!

With appreciation,
Carol

zipporah 04-08-2006 02:51 AM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!

Tried this one when we were getting overrun with zucchini through our
CSA and it was fantastic. Recipe available online @ Recipe Source
(http://www.recipesource.com/baked-go...3/rec1375.html) and
below...

Title: Larry's Dark Zucchini Bread
Categories: Quick bread
Yield: 1 servings

3 x Eggs
1 c Oil
2 c Brown sugar
3 ts Vanilla
3 c Grated zucchini
1 tb Molasses
4 c Flour
1 ts Salt
1 ts Soda
1/4 ts Baking powder
2 ts Cinnamon
1 ts Allspice
1 ts Nutmeg
1/2 c Chopped nuts

Beat eggs, oil, & brown sugar together. Add vanilla, zucchini, &
molasses. Mix dry ingredients together. Add to the zucchini "wet"
mixture. Add nuts. Mix well. Bake in floured loaf pan at 350F for
approximately 1 hr.

Larry bakes bread when we grow zucchini. This is my favorite version.
His is the Light bread version. I have used both recipes for years.
Don't remember the original inspiration, this has been tweaked with a
lot over time.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 04-08-2006 04:11 AM

Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:51:15 GMT, zipporah >
wrote:

>Tried this one when we were getting overrun with zucchini through our
>CSA and it was fantastic. Recipe available online @ Recipe Source
>(http://www.recipesource.com/baked-go...3/rec1375.html) and
>below...
>
>Title: Larry's Dark Zucchini Bread

Wow! At the rate you guys are sharing your recipes, I'm going to have
to go next door and ask for more zucchini! Heehee! I'm not
complaining. We're going to try the vast majority of these recipes.

Thanks again,
Carol