Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester Puester is offline

Default Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My next door neighbor, bless his soul, just gave me two large
> zucchinis. When hehanded them to me, I announced, "zucchini bread!"
> Wish I had a recipe. LOL!
>
> Does anyone have a really yummy recipe? I checked Epicurious, but the
> lone recipe they had got far from rave reviews.
>
> And will large zucchinis work okay for bread? Do I need to remove the
> seeds or anything? I've never made zucchini bread before, and I
> haven't seen fruits this large before, so I've gotta wonder.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

Large zucchinis are made for bread! Since you have to cut them up to
grate, I would remove the seeds since they can be pretty tough.

Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
(modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves

3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
(this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce)
2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)

Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
combine Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~60 minutes or until a tester
comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
sliced, spread with cream cheese.

This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
------------

This recipe is from another online friend. I haven't made it, but her
stuff is always good. The comments are hers, posted to another group.

Zucchini Carrot Muffins

2 c shredded carrots
1 c shredded zucchini
1 c chopped peeled apple
1/2 c chopped almonds
2 tsp grated orange peel
2 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
1 Tbls cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Gently toss together the first 5 ingredients and set aside. In a large
bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine egg, oil and vanilla; stir into
dry ingredients just until moistened (batter wil be thick). Fold in
vegetable mixture. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 375' F for 20-22 minutes or until they test done. Cool in pan 10
minutes before removing to rack. Makes 18 standard size muffins.

OK, so, what I did this time was - I again doubled the recipe and left
out the almonds, and orange peel. While I still used a total of 6 cups
of shredded veggies, I changed the proportions so it was half zucchini
and half carrot. I diced my apples up more finely than I did last time
so I think that I actually ended up using a little more apple this time
but the difference in that isn't huge. Then, instead of using 1 1/2 cups
of vegetable oil, I replaced about 1/2 the oil with butternut squash
puree - I found some I'd frozen last year and figured what the heck
In addition to the cinnamon, I added probably about a teaspoon or
so of cardamom and of ginger - honestly I didn't measure those though,
so...I just sprinkled on cardamom rather generously, and ginger less so.
Oh, and I used one less egg than the recipe called for - five instead of
six - only because when I was all done, I noticed the sixth egg was
still sitting on the counter behind the mixing bowl and the batter
seemed fine so I didn't put it in. Anyway, they came out even better
than before. I baked mine exactly 20 minutes. I got <counting> 33 pretty
good sized muffins out of this.

----
OK, so, my point is (I'm back again, not quoting myself anymore) that
you can replace the oil with any moist pureed fruit - applesauce works,
obviously butternut squash works, I've also redone these and used a
mixture of banana and applesauce, which worked. I sometimes use
mostly fruit and hardly any oil, sometimes half and half. I've also had
good luck making a lowfat chocolate cake by replacing most of the oil
with pureed banana, btw.